Task I: Eleventh-Hour Defection

Task I: Eleventh-Hour Defection

Postby Guppy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm

The creature had put the little wildling to rest hours before to prepare for her task. Giuseppe's words echoed within her mind as she considered the four little tasks that he wished to be completed. She would get a reward, she reminded herself with mingled bubbling amusement and needling annoyance. It was all about survival. Endurance. She tried to take comfort in that ideal. Even if these little assignments made her feel like a pupil with homework. It would be worth it, though, if she could manage to weasel closer to the High Inquisitor. She wanted him to think of nothing else but her, wanted her familiarity to haunt him. Wanted him to be just as fascinated with her as she was with him. There were not many, mortal or not, that could interest the creature. He did and she wanted his attention. That meant doing his busy work.

Councilor Berdini was a man only vaguely familiar to her. The creature recalled the party he had thrown, the polite manner in which he spoke to the whelp. He had, for some reason, made a decision that countered Lady Rhaena's wishes. He had ignored his own self-interests. Wasn't he supposed to be one of the Rhaena-swain? Whatever the decision had been did not particularly matter, except that the creature liked to be prepared. Liked to have the upper hand. So, she had managed to get a little insight before paying the man a visit. She had even paid a visit to the Tea House, though whether they had given away anything in particular was debatable. Regardless, information was power and It did not like to be caught unaware.

I would know why, whether you find out through magic, intimidation, or outright violence.

Well, she wagered that the most obvious manner was to outright ask the man. Clad in her form-fitting leather pants, knee-high boots, and a laced bodice with plunging neckline, she moved to drop into a chair to wait. Legs crossed and she bounced her foot with impatience. If the man had a secretary, she would entertain herself by staring holes in the individual and making them uncomfortable until the powerful Councilor managed to find the time to speak with her.

"Just tell him that Giuseppe's most prized watchdog is here to speak with him. Woof, Woof."
Guppy

Re: Task I: Eleventh-Hour Defection

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 am

There was no secretary. In fact if the woman had come to the meetinghouse she would have been directed to the Gilded Lily, where she had been greeted by foreign servants who knew little else other than a few words to indicate where to wait. No one would sit still long enough for the woman to bore holes with her gaze. Instead she'd be left alone to wait in the lobby, before the Councilor arrived shortly thereafter from his lavish, upstairs apartment.

"Ah, I was told I had a guest. Wonderful, welcome. Would you care to come upstairs? The previous owner used to conduct business in the office but I fear it's far too stuffy." He'd speak in a foreign tongue to the servants who lingerred now and they would comply to the request, scattering quietly.

"But forgive my manners. I have to admit that I no longer recall your name. Perhaps you could remind me of it?"

He'd motion her back, deeper past the lobby, towards the staircase if she'd come with him.
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:51 pm

The meetinghouse had been disappointing, but she had soon been guided to the Gilded Lily when she asked after Berdini. She even managed to refrain from taking out her frustrations on the hapless man who had answered her demanding questions. The man who would never know just how close he strayed to his early demise. The servants had gotten fierce glowers for their troubles, but she would wait in the designated waiting area with hands clasped behind her back. Her gaze would settle on whatever art happened to be hanging upon the wall with a bored expression etched upon her features. The woman's clothing was form-fitting and belonged a woman with questionable morals. Her cleavage was on full display, backside hugged tightly in leather.

The voice behind her was familiar and she turned to gaze upon the man. One sculpted brow lofted over those eyes flushed wholly with black as if her pupils had swallowed up the rest of her ocular anatomy. The man politely greeted her and asked if she would like to ascend to a room more welcoming in nature. In response, the creature gave him a blasé expression and gestured for him to lead her onward.

He paused to ask after her name and her apathetic expression vanished in an instant. Her lips parted to reveal a devilish, confident smile. "We actually have yet to meet, Councilor. You've met the whelp before, but I am her far more interesting companion," she mused. She followed him, every movement considered and planned. Comfortable in the stranger's skin. Hips moving with intent to distract. This was a spider that he allowed into his parlor, he was too intelligent not to see that. A spider with a pensive, curious look upon her face. Uncertain if she wanted to eat him.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 am

"A shared body. How intriguing. I haven't seen that since the witch's chambers in Rub'al Kai." He mused, continuing to speak as he led her, feeling the heat of eyes upon him. He might be allowing a spider into his parlour, but that didn't mean that he was without his own talents.

"Just because you share a body however doesn't mean that you don't have a name of your own. What shall I call you? It seems rather unfair that you should have my name and I shouldn't have yours." He mused as he stood at the apartment door and beconed her into the lavish silk adorned affair that was his home. There weren't traditional chairs, merely oversized cushions to sit upon, or a long, luxurious chaise against one of the walls.

"Please, sit wherever you're comfortable. May I offer you a drink?" He'd ask as he wandered towards the bar against the other wall.

"I must admit, I'm quite curious as to what brought you to my door. I have a suspicion that your intentions are not quite honorable. But then perhaps those are the most interesting visits in my opinion."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:31 am

He was intrigued by the fact that she shared a body with the young, frailer girl. She did not comment upon that. Instead, her boots sounded softly upon the stairs behind him. Foreboding. Darkened eyes peered around the area, taking in the decor and the escape routes, should she need them.

He asked after her name and she was silent for a long moment. Considering. "I have many names by which I am called. Wynsee calls me Pek'oret." Gloria would be startled to find that the word was said near-perfectly, were she here. "Giuseppe calls me Megera. The whelp simply calls me It," she remarked. "You may call me whatever you wish." Her favorite thus far was Giuseppe's name, but she would not have him know that.

Her gaze settled upon his private room and she seemed to appreciate the luxury. Crossing the expanse of the room, she would plop down neatly upon the chaise and stretch out her long legs. Fingers laced behind her head as she lounged with practiced ease. "A drink would be lovely. Something strong that burns as it goes down," she requested as she watched him through half-lidded eyes. Berdini was clearly a man of refined tastes and considerable wealth. One did not assemble such wealth without a few skeletons in his closet. She wondered what they were.

He accused her intentions of being less than honorable and she grinned at the man. "A man after my own heart." He was curious despite the obvious danger. "Let us not speak of business just yet. Let's enjoy a drink and the other's company. I've spent more time in the Broken Dagger than I care to admit. The companionship is somewhat lacking in quality. Allow me a moment to bask in this association."
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:27 am

"Well who would I be if I couldn't deliver a new name. It seems to be the thing to do." He'd say with a grin as he went over to the bar, selecting a bottle of brandy and a pair of glasses. It might not be the precise burn the girl was looking for but it was still a strong drink. The amber liquid would fall first into one glass and then the other.

"I shall call you Shetani."

He carried the drinks over and motioned to the many cushions in the room. "Feel free to choose a seat you are comfortable in." Indeed it was lavish, and Berdini offered a glass to the woman before he selected a seat himself on one of the cushions, letting the silk finery bloom about his body, his hands wrapping around his own glass.

"Ah, true, the dagger does lack in company. Perhaps you should try the teahouse." The grin on his lips indicated his jest before he continued. "This town may be unrefined, but if nothing else it is entertaining."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:16 pm

"It is a very fashionable thing to do," she admitted. "All of the most influential people are, you know," she drawled, almost playfully, sprawled upon the chaise. She ignored the cushions that he directed her towards. She accepted the drink and took a sip, savoring it within the confines of her teeth and lips before swallowing it down. She considered the glass in her hand and glanced up at him. She lifted it in silent salute. Another swallow and it was gone.

"The teahouse? Ah, but I wager I would be somewhat unpopular. I would break all your pretty, pretty girls," she remarked, with amusement lighting her tone of voice. He said that the town was entertaining and she nodded, briefly. "Is that why you did it?," she asked, tilting her head at him.

"Is that why you went against Rhaena? Against your own interests?"

She could sympathize. Almost anything was worth having a little relief from the dullness of life.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:21 am

"I suppose that's the trick to using a teahouse girl. The not breaking her part that is. One must have their fun within the confines of some rules."

He smiled at her, the expression on his face dark, as if perhaps there were times that he was tempted to break those rules, and those pretty, pretty teahouse girls that he frolicked with. He'd take a drink from his glass, watching the liquid swirl when he heard that question.

He laughed and shook his head. "Is that what this visit is about? No, I would hardly go against Mrs. Burnie. Unfortunately however, I am a man who recognizes a lost cause and there would be no convincing the other half of the Council of her place as the interim Governor. Mrs. River was the next best choice. She's unpredictable, liable to go absent at any moment chasing after some thing or the next, leaving Mrs. Burnie right where she should be, running the town."

The smile that rested on his lips clearly indicated that he was in favor of Rhaena's rule of order.

"Besides, could you imagine the horrors if Treadwell was running the town? We'd be out of livestock in a week."
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:06 am

"Yes, well. Rules were never very fun to follow," she mused, holding the glass in her fingertips and leaving it to rest on the surface of a nearby table. Her smile mirrored his own.

She inclined her head when he asked if that was the purpose of her visit. "Yes, I think you hurt her feelings, to tell you the truth," she mused. Those shrewd, dark eyes watched him silently as he explained himself. Explained the Vice-Governor's tendency to get bored and wander off. "You don't seem as if you've been altered. At least, not in the manner she prefers," she remarked, after a moment's consideration. "Why do you prefer her rule?," she asked, honestly curious. The man seemed one after her own heart, after all, and she saw little to no use in the Lady Burnie.

Lips curled at mention of Treadwell. "Livestock, people. We would be a land consumed," she agreed.

"I can not promise that this answer will pacify the Lady and her High Inquisitor. You may have to pay penance," she warned, her smile eager. "But then I might return. Maybe you should have a drink ready. Leave the light on," she suggested, teasingly.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:11 am

He shrugged idly when she mentioned that he didn't seem altered in the manner that the lady preferred.

"Let's just say that I enjoy a little change of scenery from time to time when it comes to matters of leadership." His smile rested on Shetani. He rather enjoyed her company, it was a shame she didn't seem the type to be coaxed easily into his bed, he could imagine such an entertaining evening with her.

"Ah, well if the lady is pacified or not is truly none of my concern. What I have done, I have done in her best interest. Had my vote stayed it would have been only one of four, it would have offered no good. This way there is at least still opportunity for her. I'm sure that Mrs. Burnie could have a measure of influence over Mrs. River. I imagine she'll act upon it."

He lifted his glass in toast to her.

"For you my Shetani, there shall always be a drink waiting. At least until we tire of one another hmm?"
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:25 am

"I find it very boring scenery," she admitted, arms stretched behind her head as she watched him through half-lidded eyes. "But she does appear to be winning and it doesn't pay to be on the losing side, now does it?," she questioned, a smile darting upon her lips.

Berdini was correct - the creature was not easy prey to snare. But it was only the worthy that liked the thrill of the chase. Proving oneself was all part of the game. It was unlikely that he would get bored easily. Still, that was not in the cards for this night and she grudgingly rose. Arms lifted and she stretched lithely, altogether comfortable in this skin she wore.

A wicked grin was given as he spoke of the Lady's influence over her friend. "Ah, yes. That is my next stop, I imagine," she mused, winking at the man. She seemed pleased that he offered her his company. She was rather easily manipulated with flattery.

"Oh, Berdini. In order for you to tire of me, I would have to become quite boring. I promise to remain, as ever, fascination. Goodnight, Coucilor," she paused at the doorway, dark gaze staring into his own, smoldering with promise. "And very pleasant dreams to you, darling," she purred. There was a brief, low chuckle as she vanished down the stairs.
Guppy

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:51 am

"She does indeed appear to be winning. I do wish you luck with Mrs. River. Do not underestimate the woman. Unpredictability can be as much a strength as a weakness." He cautioned.

Shetani would be saying her farewells and he'd rise to bid her farewell as she goes, setting down his drink and making his way to the door so that he could open it for her, his eyes lingering over her frame just a little longer than was appropriate. He was fascinated by this woman indeed.

"I shall hold you to that promise my lady." He said with a smile and then bowed his head graciously to her. "How could I not have pleasant dreams after such a visit?" The door held open for her as he'd watch the woman go.
Dulcie

Postby Guppy » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:57 am

"Your worry for my safety is charming," she assured him as she rose and crossed the room.

He did as well, opening the door for her and allowing his eyes to rove her form. The look made her grin. "I will not disappoint," she assured, slipping out of the room with a wink. "Until next time." And that was said with promise, echoing down the staircase at him.
Guppy

Postby Guppy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:40 am

The night was long, but the whelp was stirring. It made Its way back towards the room she rented above the tavern. Allowed the whelp to have her turn. The creature ignored the cautious, curious emotions radiating from the girl. The questioning probes, wanting to open lines of conversation and finding herself ignored. The monster was silent.

The next night, It could be found strolling up to where the Inquisitors made their home. It was late, the wee hours of the morning, and It could not even be certain that anyone would be there. It was clad in typical form-fitting attire, dark in an attempt at discretion, tight in an attempt at seduction. Tools of the trade. It would seek entrance into the man's office. To wait with heels kicked up onto his desk, slouched in the chair with hands folded upon Its belly.
Guppy

Postby Glenn » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am

"I rather miss the dark clothes, you know. There was this bit I could do, emerging from the shadows, yes? It is not the same coming out from around a corner on a nice sunny day." He had come in early, because truly, save for distractions, what did he have but this? His dreams were still full of fire and pain, more so than ever, and he did not need the rest, his body no longer entirely human and with all of the nourishment issues of time past neatly dealt with by Lady Olwak. Sometimes he distracted himself, yes, but lately? Lately, he stayed and he worked. He came early and worked. Some of the inquisitors did as well, but they gave her passage for the most part.

Passage enough that he was able to make a quip or two as he entered the office. "Housecalls are new for you, Megera."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse