Continuing to Work: Picking up Speed

Continuing to Work: Picking up Speed

Postby Treadwell » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:32 pm

"Letters for ye, Tready."

"Letters, Jack?"

Caught in the meetinghouse kitchen, apron around his red-robed body as he works on something for lunch, Aloisius Treadwell turns to face the entrant: personal assistant, town crier, and friend, Jack Alldale.

"Lot of 'em, sir. A great many of 'em come in at once yesterday, some this morning, but you were a-napping at the time in here like normal, and I didn't want t'wake ye, and I forgot 'bout it after supper, and. . . ."

A flutter of nervous hands presents a sheaf of notes and letters.

"They're 'dressed to Lord Steward Tread'ell, sir, all of 'em. They're from all over the Wood. Do they 'ave to do with all the visits y'been a-making lately? 'bout setting up a new Council?"

Tilt back of ale mug. Glance at oven with its slab of pork roasting in it.

"Well! A knife, lad, if I'm to cut into them, mmph mmph! This hunk of pig has another hour to cook, at least!"

The content of the various letters is the same, generally, from one to the next to the next as Treadwell cuts them open, spreads them out one at a time, and reads them by noon sunlight coming through an open kitchen window.

"Counc'lor?"

Grin wide as hand goes up to wipe sweat from brow.

"Progress, Jack! Progress! Quite a few, hee hee, quite a few towns have already settled on Council delegates! I'll need to make notes on all this after lunch, mmph mmph, and see who still owes me what information, and, mmph, perhaps make another round about to push folks along."

"Tready?"

"Hm?"

"Do ye think ye'll be Gov'nor again when it's all done?"

Eyes narrow in a squint, studious and thoughtful.

"I should hope so, Jack. I should hope so. I was Chief Magistrate within my first day on the Council in Westenford, years ago, mmph. I don't see why I can't accomplish the same here. A couple of more weeks, sir. Maybe a month at most."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse