Working: First Council

Working: First Council

Postby Treadwell » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:57 am

The thirty-first of the twelfth month, 214.

Myrken Wood's Meetinghouse.

Morning.

Dawn came early for the Lord Steward, his home servants, and his loyal town crier companion, Jack Alldale.

All newly elected and appointed Councilors of Myrken Wood are to meet here at the Meetinghouse in Myrkentown come mid-week, the thirty-first of this month, in the morning hours. Lunch will be provided, and lodging will be available at the local inns at no cost to the Councilors if necessary. We have business to discuss, including most notably a vote on an appropriate Governor of Myrken Wood to serve as Council moderator and titular head.

In the morning hours? Why, the Lord Steward puzzled again as he scurried about on waking, did he ever write those particular words? Why not after lunch?

"Well, Aloisius, we all make mistakes!"

His wife and children at home were cared for first, of course, and then his personal servants were all uprooted and carted off to the Meetinghouse, there to begin hastily preparing for the incoming Councilors. Much of the work was already accomplished: chairs were in order, the dining table that had long replaced much of the floor space was pushed to a side wall to be set up for something of a buffet, lamps and candle stands were all set at the ready, and a fire was stoked. Stables near to the Meetinghouse were hastily commandeered for the day. The rest of the town criers were commanded quite sternly to watch for newcomers to town and to direct them to the Meetinghouse if they were there on Council business. The front doors were left open to air the place and to allow some light. All Treadwell had to do, after a bit, was to stand still, breathe, rest, and enjoy a mug of tea.

He did not have to wait long. A steady flow of Councilors, some with their own servant or two, soon began arriving. A seemingly unending murmuring of, "Lord Steward," "Sir," "Yes, sir, a pleasant journey," "So, this is the Meetinghouse!", and "Where shall we seat ourselves?" followed.

Soon, though, most of the Council members were gathered. Most. Not every delegate had arrived or would, which was to be expected, but a number in the upper fifties was certainly a good start.

However, after the yelling of "Eleven o' the morning! All is wayeellllllll!" from outside, Lord Steward Treadwell, comfortably and warmly attired in a black hat, robe, cloak, and boots with his white gloves on his hands and his white sash around his waist, would give a singular rap of his gavel on the lectern and let roll with a rumble once perfected for the stage but largely unused for decades since.

"Welcome, Councilors of Myrken Wood, to the Meetinghouse of the Judiciary Council, mmph! For those of you whom I have not met properly, and for those whom I have, I am Aloisius Treadwell, the King's Lord Steward here, mmph mmph, and Myrken's former Councilor for Revenue and Finance, among many other things."

Nodding heads bobbed up and down in the crowd.

"We meet here today with a small number of points to begin with: recognition of the purpose of the Council, discussion of the division of thought and labor, mmph, the establishment of a regular date and time upon which to meet in the coming year. Most importantly, however, hrm hrm, to begin this meeting properly and to call all to order, I must note that the explicit purpose of my position as Lord Steward is to fashion a functioning council with suitable representatives to best manage the future of Myrken Wood, mmph mmph. First, foremost, and primary among the elements of this concern, as noted by Council by-laws, is the naming of a proper Governor of Myrken Wood, as agreed upon by a simple majority of the Councilors in attendance, mmph."

A moment passed for a sip from the tea mug at his hand, and then the Lord Steward continued.

"The role of the Governor is many faceted: it requires putting meetings like this one together, mmph, facilitating Council discussions, potentially having to veto quarrelsome matters, breaking ties on Council votes if horns happen to lock and none will move on an issue, hm, and being the figurehead who generally receives any share of blame and bother from the populace, hrm hrm, regarding the government! Being Governor requires having a notable amount of Council experience, mmph, and for a gathering of this size, I should hope that the Council prefers having a representative who has dealt with government or judicial groups of like numbers.

"To ease this meeting along, mmph, and to take the burden off the rest of you, I henceforth nominate myself for the position, sirs--yes, and madams, as well, as I see a handful of our dear ladies in the audience, mmph mmph. I held for many years a quite similar role in the coastal city of Westenford, on the coast of the Amasynian Sea, heading a council of twenty-nine members daily for thirty-one years; as well, I have held the post of Governor or Acting Governor here at various points, while mutually overseeing the province's revenue and taxes, since 203. Thus, the public here know me, and they know I can be trusted with their leadership, their finances, and their lands."

Another pause for another sip of tea, a clearing of the throat, and then?

"And one final note, honored Councilors!"

A wave up of left arm, setting sleeve billowing, drew attention back to the lectern for the few whose minds had already wandered.

"Let me note quite openly for the lot here. A great many people of the Wood and outside the Wood, mmph, consider the position of Governor quite cursed."

Arm came down, resting softly atop Treadwell's stomach.

"The role of Governor has passed through twelve changes in nearly as many years. Myrken Wood, mmph, needs a Council that can lead without fear of dissolution or impropriety! We, gentlemen and ladies, are that stability for the Wood, mmph, but one of us must take the lead in name if the Council is to act properly, mmph mmph. Therefore," a twirl of white glove and a nod of head, "I repeat that I set myself forth as fitting candidate for the Governorship. Now. . . ."

A gentle tump of gavel to lectern.

"I hereby open this matter to discussion, hopefully brief, and a vote."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: Working: First Council

Postby Dulcie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Councilor Berdini was of course in attendance. He never missed a meeting. Treadwell's self-nomination was no surprise really, he had figured the man had been angling for the position for quite a few years. It was a shame though. Glenn Burnie had seemed much easier to manipulate since they at least got along well. Treadwell didn't trust him for some unknown reason and that was trouble enough.

"Councilor Treadwell, while I have no doubt in your ability to lead the fine town of Myrken Wood are you here to tell us that there have been no other nominees for the position?" He looked about the room, as if to encourage someone else to speak up.

"Also, I believe we have another matter to address. No woman has ever held a Council seat before, nor has one ever been permitted to be governor. I think we should vote to change this ruling. Many women in this town are equal in both intellect and strength to any man seated here. Before we decide who should lead our town I believe we need to make sure that all of our best candidates are at the very least eligible."
Dulcie

Postby Treadwell » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:45 pm

"Thank you, Councilor Berdini. No others have voiced or indicated their decisions of being nominated for the seat of Governor yet; of course, we just started this meeting, sir, mmph mmph!"

A warm smile spread over Treadwell's face.

"As for a woman on the Council, I fear you are quite mistaken, honorable sir. Our own Agnieszka Kaczmarek and Ariane Emory, mmph, have both served on the Defense Committee prior to the previous Council's dissolution by royal edict that prompted the forming of this gathering, here, hrm. Otherwise, no, there has never been a woman who has served as Councilor or Governor in the history of Myrken Wood to my knowledge. However, there is nothing in the government by-laws that I can recall that, mmph mmph, would exclude such. Until recently, it has all been up to landowners in Myrken, mmph, though the recent, hrm, adjustments from the Crown have included those elected from a common majority, as well. Thus, sir, there's really nothing to vote upon with that regard, mmph mmph."

Treadwell gave a gentle shrug of the arms here.

"I should hope there is nothing about that that is a matter to debate? If there is, it shall be settled, mmph, but if there is not, then I entertain, at the Councilor's suggestion, any others who might wish to voice their potential for the Governorship, mmph mmph, to speak of their qualifications or to give proper nominations and to do so in a polite and orderly fashion."
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Kestrel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:52 am

The Lady Warden had arrived early and taken a seat towards the back. She seemed to be paying a minimum of attention to the proceedings, but her eyes stole up to take in each member of the Council that passed by her position. There were a few nods to the few members that she knew. There was a careful mask of indifference settled over her features otherwise.

Smith was seated at her immediate side with his feet kicked up on the chair in front of him, the very picture of insolence. He was using his knife to remove the dirt from under his fingernails in appropriately dangerous fashion.

As Treadwell called for a vote for a future Governor, naming himself as the current and sole applicant, the woman's lips thinned. Berdini's request to have more women upon the Council was noted and her eyes lifted to the man in consideration. She recalled that he had once been on the dissolved Council - Treadwell seemed fit to appoint him again, obviously. Or the people had.

The clearing of her throat cut through the noise like a clap of thunder and the Lady climbed to her feet. Her attire was her usual - her neatly pressed uniform was a stark reminder of her military background. The seal at her throat recalled her royal ties.

"Lord Steward, I believe there are matters that require discussion before you claim governorship for your own," she remarked, with a broad gesture to the town's nobles. "I am Lady Egris Verreaux, cousin to His Regal Majesty King Chedwry the Second. I don't believe I've met most of you, but I look forward to working with the new Council to govern Myrken and its people."

It was no secret that the Lady had numerous friends among those seen as lessers. A fact that made the nobles a little uneasy. There was silence in the wake of her words.

She smiled at Treadwell, with all the friendly manner of a crocodile. "However, the current topic of conversation finds me at a bit of a loss. As declared by his Majesty's envoy, the Council is to govern the people with a watchful eye of their Warden. If they could not be assembled before a year had passed, His Majesty would elect a Lord Governor of his own choosing. I doubt very much that choice will be from among your countrymen. As far as I understand it, there is to be no Governor at all, your ambitions aside. The group will rule together, no one of them called to lead. The former Governors have shown us, time and again, that one man can not be trusted with that much power. Not here."

"Am I mistaken in my interpretations? I shall send word to my cousin immediately if that is a possibility." She offered, as if it were a kindness.
Kestrel

Postby Treadwell » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 pm

"Lady Warden! Good day!"

A drum of fingers atop lectern punctuated the words--one finger per syllable--from left thumb to pinky and to thumb again.

"I do agree with the Lady Warden that the Crown's wish is that Myrken Wood be governed properly and well, mmph."

Tump of wrist against wood.

"The Warden is correct in that Baron Surdemer's proclamation never stated there would be a Governor alongside the Council. However, as well, and in addition, it never stated, mmph, that there would not. Think briefly upon the characteristics I just ascribed: the moderation of meetings, the voice to help settle disputes, the face to the public. Councilors, and esteemed Lady Warden, ask yourselves: what is a Council with no one to counsel? What is a kingdom without its king? Chaos. Madness. Disorder and noise with nothing being accomplished.

"If the term 'Governor' is the concern, then call it 'Council Chair' or 'Chief Councilor' or what-you-will. If the concern is one man--or woman, mmph--being in power, to be quite honest, there is no power. The position is that of a figurehead, a facilitator. It exists to guide discussion and naught else save to break a dead locked vote as a last possible of resorts, mmph. Think of it like a choir of sorts. As seen in this very room in the past, mmph, five voices in one room become disorderly and noisome without a would-be hand guiding a baton to make music. Twenty-nine voices, as I led for over thirty years, fall into toneless disarray. Sixty-two, Lady Warden, without someone to silence some at times, mmph, bring others to the forefront, and conduct the instruments?

"It would not, could not, and cannot be an orchestra of sweet music, hm hm. Even with the best of intentions, it would be cacophony."

A moment was paused to breathe, to briefly wheeze, and then, a continuation as handkerchief went up to briefly wipe brow.

"Our Lady Warden, would you rather be the one to tell your cousin, our King, His Majesty, that this government fell into discord here in months hence because, mmph, it was not rightly allowed the sensible creation of a mere figurehead, a sinecure of a title, who would oversee the occasional business conference?"
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:10 pm

He listened, mused even for a moment before he chose to speak again.

"I might add that the only time a woman was allowed to serve was on that committee. A committee is not equivalent to a council seat. Perhaps you have found nothing in the by-laws but the culture of exclusion is present. If we are to progress we need to consider how to address this. Myrken women are of strong stock, their voices deserve to be heard"

He paused for a drink from his glass. "On the point of a leaderless council I am afraid I must agree with Treadwell. We are too many to simply decide matters as a collective, however I do disagree on the point that the position holds no power, indeed it does. But governor or no, one man or woman will always hold power. Perhaps it is best to have someone in a position where that power is checked."
Dulcie

Postby Tolleson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:05 pm

There was little indication she was there at all. Only the slight scratching of her nib on parchment, the subtlest, most natural sound in this room, gave her away. And in truth, she could have been anyone, except that the secretary had been long missing.

And so she sat, in the very back, past the Lady Warden and further still, behind a portly man who smelled of sausage and drifted in and out of sleep. Back where one might have assumed she was merely a fixture of the room. Genny’s long red hair was braided neatly, pulled over a shoulder and complimenting a lovely dress, one Rhaena had once coaxed her into purchasing. It was smart, pressed and refitted to her entirely too slender frame. She looked every bit to belong in this room among this group, staring at the paper and writing the minutes.

And she might have continued, content to write and record, her presence unnoticed, unchallenged. But at Berdini’s recommendation her posture straightened and with renewed interest surprised eyes rose to the councilman. Genny and Berdini had not been close friends nor had they known one another long, but she was certain that he knew when he was being threatened.
Tolleson

Postby Kestrel » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:04 pm

The Lady listened quietly as Treadwell and the others spoke, though her smile thinned at the thin note of threat in his hypothetical question.

They were correct in the theory that the lack of remark on a Governor or similar job description did not mean that there could not be one. She had to give them that. She also had a strong suspicion that the Baron would not want to be a part of the inner working on Myrken government. They were mostly seen as an irritant rather than a worthwhile entity and bringing petty squabbles would not be looked upon with favor.

The woman gave Treadwell a smile that could be called polite, albeit with a heaping helping of dislike. She would not forget this, that was certain. "You are correct, Lord Steward. The terms did not mention any particular limitations." Her voice slanted a little louder. "They did, however, mention the inefficiency and ineptitude of the last council. I would recommend, recalling the stipulations that are in place, that an infinitely important decision not be a platform for anyone's ambitions." There was a pointed glance towards the overweight man wheezing his way through the meeting. "This need not be a matter rushed."

"That being the case, I have very little say in your own political matters. I am merely an agent of His Majesty, here for guidance," she remarked. Then, a sharper smile. "And discipline. Carry on, then," she remarked, with a flourish of hands. She dropped down into her seat once more.
Kestrel

Postby Treadwell » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:34 pm

A slight rocking on feet flat and overworked.

Inefficiency and ineptitude.

The inefficiency of a council does not decrease with more people serving on it and powers stripped from its officials.

Treadwell paused a moment. He wanted to burst--Madam, the Council was at its most efficient when I and Chairwoman Kaczmarek worked as its only two members to save all of Myrken Wood from slavery and foolishness!--but instead took a moment to allow himself to deflate, to settle.

A sigh, slow and breathy, from the man at the lectern.

"With that noted, I suppose that until the Lady Warden and I, as Lord Steward, can meet to compose suitable correspondence to the appropriate authority or authorities, mmph, in Razasan to discern properly the motivation and intention behind the leadership of this Council, mmph mmph, that I shall act as moderator of the Council for this day, the thirty-first of the twelfth month of two-fourteen, seeing fit to remove the suggestion of governorship from the floor until such time that the Council, mmph, might reconvene either in person or through written letters or ballots to arrange what title, powers, and practices such a position might require under the assumption that it is permitted to exist."

One sentence, long and rolling yet carefully constructed.

"Now, should there be no further discussion on that topic, hm, I henceforth turn the Council's attention to the matter of women serving on the Council. With all respect given to those present, mmph, of both sexes, good Councilor Berdini does have a point. Across Myrken Wood--and other territories, yes yes--women are, mmm, hardly seen as suitable for leadership positions. As stated already, mmph, there is nothing in our current government by-laws that explicitly prohibits such at all. No woman has ever seen fit to put herself forward for a Council seat, here, or has ever been recommended for one, though we have had women serve on committees in the past--"

A merry chortle.

"And I am quite certain that the Lady Warden suits such a description, herself, mmph, in her roles of guide and disciplinary figure, mmph mmph. With all of that said, mmph, Councilor Berdini appears to favor the inclusion of women on the Council--a rather bold statement, yes yes, to some--and the very presence of several womenfolk here from different towns implies that various towns and hamlets throughout the Wood approve of the idea."

Throat cleared; eyes squinted.

"So I henceforth open this to further discussion if the Council feels it merited; is there any particular rational, logical, sensible reason that the majority of this Council, mmph, would believe that women should not and must not serve as delegates and representatives?"
Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 am

Madness, letting womenfolks direct their husbands' affairs over a province. The sort of stuff that merits being locked up in a spot like old Beckham's out near Herford's Tavern out by the Plaza in Westenford, hmm hmm, with all the folks fancying themselves heads of state and famous folks and the like. . . .

The words of Councilor Treadwell to himself in his office from almost a year and a half previous. He had been alone at the time. How he wishes he could think of a good, legal reason on the books to disallow such madness now!

I might add that the only time a woman was allowed to serve was on that committee. A committee is not equivalent to a council seat. Perhaps you have found nothing in the by-laws but the culture of exclusion is present. If we are to progress we need to consider how to address this. Myrken women are of strong stock, their voices deserve to be heard.

The words of Councilor Berdini, in front of the rest of the Council currently assembled, but a few moments ago.

Moments passed.

Silence.

"Well?"

A snore, rumbled and quivering, rolled from a portly man drifting in and out of sleep in the back of the room.

A sharp whack of gavel echoed at the front, meant both to wake a man and to settle a matter.

"Very well! Should there be no dissenting discussion, mmph, I believe it is safe to assume that, from this day forth, we of this Council may include the women of Myrken Wood, mmph mmph, as members of this benevolent body. Now, should there be no further discussion, I think we can safely adjourn this meeting, hm hm?"
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:20 pm

The Councilor of the Arts seemed rather pleased with himself, a slight smile resting on his lips as he bowed his head in agreement with Treadwell that the meeting could indeed be included.

"May I praise this Council on their forward thinking. I second the motion that this meeting be adjourned."

He waited then for the general muttering to cease and for the meeting to indeed be closed. Now all that was needed was to find someone who would stir the Council up. After all things had been quite boring since the passing of Rhaena Olwak. Wherever could he find another one of her?
Dulcie

Postby Treadwell » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:35 pm

Whack of gavel is signal enough. Afterward, Treadwell stands there at the front of the room, leaning upon his lectern, watching the other councilors file out. "We've plenty of room, mmph, at the area inns and taverns, should any of you care to spend the night before you leave, mmph mmph! Meanwhile, I shall be here in my office if I'm needed." With that said, out he goes, walking from front chamber to the comfy cushioned seat in his office, where he soon sinks into place for a rest.
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:28 pm

As she wasn't a council member she really had no say in the matter of adjournment and was thus content to sit idle in the back. The gavel struck and the men began to depart. Gathering the pages she had written slowly and capping her ink, Genny remained for some time after most had left.

"W-w-what m-m-marvelous ... p-progress," her off-handed comment was aimed in passing at Berdini. Perhaps even the Lady, if she remained.

In truth, it was laced with only the slightest sarcasm.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 pm

"Indeed it is, isn't it?" He replied casually as he crossed paths with the woman, ignoring or perhaps not perceiving her sarcasm. As he exited the Council chambers he smiled to himself. All that was needed now was someone to stir up some trouble.
Dulcie

Return to Myrken Wood Meetinghouse