An Invitation

An Invitation

Postby Jirai » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:09 am

It had been a busy few days. So busy, in fact, that the school had been left in the care of others. Rhaena Olwak had other things that needed to be taken care of. Eleven funerals, eleven families to be comforted and aided. Twice that many traumatized children. A Storyteller who could not be allowed to speak, a Governor headed to Razasan, hours that must be spent with her new knight, and finally, a letter.

Carefully, elegantly scribed on fine parchment, sealed with Rhaena's own mark, the missive would be delivered by a small child (though not one that had been caught up in the awful mess of a few days prior).

To Marek Waldemar, Greetings

Ser Waldermar, I sincerely wish that I did not have to write this letter. Not because your actions were anything less than heroic, of course, but because those actions were necessary in the first place. Myrken grieves over eleven small graves, horrors that we hoped might be behind us. Myrken honors you, that there are not more funeral pyres to be built.

I hope that you can find the time to visit me at the Governor's house in the next day or two. I would hear this tale in your own words, so that the guilty might better be brought to justice and that you might be given the thanks that is rightfully yours.

Sincerely,

Rhaena Olwak
Jirai
Op

Re: An Invitiation

Postby Waldemar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:08 am

The walk to the secluded building might be considered charming, in different circumstances; in the wake of recent events, however, the woods are a touch too dense, the shadows too deep beneath the trees, the undergrowth too thick and tangled.

The mill has been silent all week, its master elsewhere, the great wheel motionless and water left to flow wastefully over the spillway. No polite welcome greets the young messenger, only a red-haired youth caught dozing in a patch of dappled summer sunlight on the millpond dam's grassy slope; he accepts the letter sullenly, glaring at the courier with his single green eye until the child departs again.

The message reaches its intended target, however, as a visitor calls upon the Governor's house on the afternoon of the following day; a stern-looking gentleman of middle years and upright bearing, in clothes of sombre hue and conservative cut. He may have been seen at the services for the children killed, a solemn figure quietly paying his respects in the background, maintaining a respectful distance as grieving families laid their children to rest.

When the door is answered he introduces himself as Marek Waldemar, here to see Sera Olwak; he regrets not making an appointment, but can call at another time if it is not convenient for her to receive him today.
Nothing so bold as a miller's shirt, that every morning collars a thief.
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:57 am

The young woman who answered the door was neatly garbed and polite, asking that the miller wait but a moment while she checked with Sera Olwak. It wouldn't be long before she returned to usher him in; Sera Olwak does indeed have time this afternoon.

The miller would be led into a bright and airy sitting room. There were chairs and a small table that already held a steaming teapot and a small plate of dainties - cucumber sandwiches and the like. And there he would be left to wait for a minute, perhaps two before Rhaena Olwak herself swept through the door. She, too, could have been seen at the services for the children, her garb for such occasions toned down, but today she was in her usual full finery, the gown layered shades of gold and bronze.

"Ser Waldemar. Thank you for joining me today. Would you care for some tea?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:25 pm

Left alone long enough to quietly inspect the room - the tasteful furnishings, the refined decorations, perhaps getting some sense of the lady he is here to meet. Their first encounter had been brief, and somewhat strained given the circumstances and surroundings; this is an altogether more civilised meeting, with an altogether more agreeable venue. When his hostess arrives he offers a polite bow in reply to her greeting, standing until bid otherwise.

"Sera Olwak. Thank you for your kind invitation; tea would be most welcome." Well-mannered, for all that his voice is more gruff than charming, his features more readily settling into a stern frown than an ingratiating smile. Still. For the Governor's lady he is willing to play at politesse; to be formal and courteous, as is only appropriate. Up to a point, that is. Even here he has little patience for small talk or frivolous chatter; better to be direct, to seek out the heart of things rather than dancing around them.

"How might I be of assistance, sera?"
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:40 pm

It is best that things are civilized. Agreeable. Yes, this is altogether better than their last meeting. The lady took a seat, smoothing her skirts out, and reached out to pour tea into the two waiting cups.

"Please, sit." One cup nudged in his direction, gloved fingers indicating the plate with a graceful flick. "And do help yourself." She lifted her own cup, took a tiny sip as the man proved himself to be polite yet uninterested in small talk - and what more could one expect from a miller? The gowned lady smiled at him.

"Unpleasant as it may be, I would hear in your own words what happened that day. While it seems the monster was destroyed - and I would hear how that happened, as well - there was another involved who must yet be brought to justice."
Jirai
Op

The Formation of Brown's Irregulars

Postby Waldemar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:22 pm

While the man's accent is clear Myrkener, his diction speaks more of the town than the country, in contrast to the flour-smudged masters of other mills in Myrken Wood. Educated, clearly. He takes a seat as invited, lowering himself carefully and resting his walking stick against the arm of the chair; the dainty cup is accepted with a nod of thanks, blowing away the curling wisps of steam before taking a sip, and then a more generous mouthful. Best to wet his throat if he's to be giving an account of events at the cave. A moment longer to arrange his thoughts, and he begins:

"I was on my way to the carnival when I heard music playing in the woods - fiddle music. I stopped to listen, and was nearly knocked flat by young Master Brown - Elliot Brown. He claimed that the children had been taken from the carnival, enchanted and lured away by the fiddle-player. He had a knife which he insisted could detect such magic, and that it was guiding him to their aid." The man offers a wry smile and takes another sip of his tea before continuing.

"I thought him drunk at first. But he claimed that one of my assistants was with the abducted children, so I thought it best to accompany him. I imagined that it would most likely prove to be some juvenile prank on his part.

"A little further on we crossed paths with an unpleasant pair - a dark elf woman, and a man by the name of Roschen. I'm led to understand that the latter was at one point a member of the Judiciary Council?" Brows raised slightly at that, inviting his hostess to confirm or refute that assertion. "Brown claimed that their child had also been seen among the missing children, and they decided to join us."
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:05 pm

She listens to his tale, teacup resting on its saucer, gloved hands folded in her lap, bronze eyes focused on the miller along with a polite smile, nodding at all the correct moments. Rhaena Olwak is a good listener, inserting only a brief comment as Waldemar spoke of Elliot Brown.

"I think you will find Elliot to be beyond such pranks, now." A slight motion of her hand along with those words, to encourage the man to continue the tale.

"Mmm, yes, ser Roschen was indeed a Councilor some years back. His affiliation with the drow," Clear distaste for that word, for everything it represented, "put an end to that eventually. The child, surprisingly, is quite well-mannered."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:38 pm

A doubtful frown creases the miller's brow at Rhaena's assurance, before it occurs to him that she most likely meant the boy had been arrested. Probably ran afoul of the Constables as he fled the scene. Well, that was a satisfying thought.

"We eventually reached the cavern - you're no doubt some understanding of what we saw within, I see no need to repeat the details here." No need and indeed no desire to think too closely upon the scene that had greeted them. "Brown - rashly - charged in with his knife; the dark elf slipped out of sight while our attention was elsewhere. Since Brown had the creature distracted I did my best to lead the children out of the cave, rather than have them caught in the middle of whatever might follow."

A pause in the miller's narrative, staring into his cup for a time as if wishing it contained something more robust than tea. Anger in his features as he looks up again to meet his hostess' gaze - outrage carefully controlled but present nonetheless.

"At which point Roschen seized one of the children - Lissa, I learned later - and cast her into the creature's maw to be devoured."
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:11 am

It is not a pleasant story. It is not a story Rhaena Olwak wished to hear in the slightest. It is, however, a story that must be told, and so she listened quietly. A small nod, lips pressed together as he mentioned briefly what was in the cave, horror that it was. She did not speak when he paused, but watched the miller's expression change, her own still calm.

That is, until his next words reached her ears.

"Roschen did this?" Horrified, incredulous - not that she disbelieved Waldemar's words, but shocked that even Roschen could go so far as to murder a child in cold blood.

"I kno...knew Lissa." She knew all of them, and her anger would match the miller's own. "There will be consequences."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:30 am

Is that satisfaction, that she shares his outrage? Is it relief at being finally able to speak of it, to bring it to the attention of someone who will be able to see it acted upon?

"He is a madman, sera; I know very little of him beyond his having once been a councillor and his more recent involvement with the drow, but even from meeting him for so brief a time it was evident. His child was believed to be among the missing, and he showed no concern for the boy's safety; merely discomfited by the possibility that the dark elf might blame him for the child's loss." Hardly the reaction of a caring father, or indeed anyone with an ounce of compassion in his soul.

"Throughout the affair he was... Hm." A moment to search for a word. "Detached, to the point of apathy; no one of a sound mind could look into that cavern and not be sickened, would you agree?" A shake of his head indicates that this was not so for the former Councilor.

"Not so with Roschen. He barely blinked, and even after he'd thrown that girl to her death he behaved as if the whole matter was a trifle, an inconvenience. A bore.

"A part of him is missing, sera. He is a man without conscience, without pity. I look forward to seeing him ended." Consequences, the lady had said; that would have to suffice for now, but he's made his own feelings on the matter quite clear.

"In any case, by this point I was intent on seeing the children clear of the madman's reach; he charged into the cave, and I saw no more of what happened within. I kept the children at a safe distance, and eventually the creature was destroyed; Roschen and the dark elf departed once Brown admitted that neither my assistant nor the dark elf child were among the group lured into the cave." The miller is not pleased with having been deceived in this way, but can do little else but accept it at this point; without that lie more of the children would almost certainly have perished.

"Brown took one of the children with him as he left - a scullion who works at the Broken Dagger - apparently a friend of his, whose rescue was presumably his goal all along. The rest of the children remained with me until your party arrived not long thereafter."
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 am

She listened carefully to his words about the tailor, her own dismay and distaste for the matter clear. Something would have to be done, certainly, and gloved fingers tapped briefly against her teacup before she took another sip.

"Yes, the cavern was...horrible." Even if she hadn't seen it with her own eyes. The woman gave a delicate shudder at the memory.

"A scullion at the tavern? Ah, Cat. We saw the two of them in passing, but it was more important that we reach you." A small shake of her head. "We are extremely fortunate, ser, that you were able to keep the rest of the children safe. And your assistant - it is young Cherny you speak of, yes? - I am glad to hear that he was not in that cave."

Rhaena sighed, turning her teacup around in her hands. "Thank you for sharing this tale, unpleasant as it is. You were the only one there whose word I can trust, and this will allow me to deal with both Roschen and the old woman who started this whole mess as well."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:08 pm

His account concluded, the miller presumes that the meeting to be drawing to a close; the Governor's lady has as much information as she needs, and as much as the miller feels he needs to give her, Roschen's murderous actions being foremost among them. On the subject of his assistant, meanwhile, he inclines his head in agreement with her sentiment.

"Mm. The boy returned to the mill much later in the day - unharmed, thankfully, but distressed by what he'd seen." The small shake of his head offers some hint as to the extent of that distress. "He will recover. Brown claimed someone by the name of Catch had dragged both Cherny and the dark elf child clear before they had been lured too far into the woods. It's unfortunate that he could only save two, but I'm thankful that he did."

Another mouthful of tea, the dainty cup nearly drained, and he sets it and the saucer down on the table before him. "I'm glad that I might have been of some small service, sera." He might have gone on to begin making his excuses and preparing to depart, except the Governor's lady makes mention of something that piques his interest.

"Old woman, sera?" Curious, yes, but restrained enough to keep from seeming excessively nosy. "I'd assumed the matter to be closed with the monster's death - a lone creature, an isolated incident. What was her involvement?"
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:40 am

Distressed. And of course he would be. "Aren't we all?" She murmured in response. Except, it would seem, for Roschen. "Catch, was it? Well, that does not entirely surprise me. I shall be sure to thank him, the next time I see him."

She took a sip from her own cup, offering the miller a small smile for his questions. "It seems this monster was linked to another creature, one who took great pleasure in posing as an old woman and telling stories to children. That is what delayed our arrival the other day - ensuring that she did not escape." A matter that Rhaena fully intended to take care of as soon as they were done here.

"Ser, I have thanked you before for your actions, but words are not enough. Without your presence, more of our children would have been lost. Myrken needs heroes like you and, with your permission, I would make it known to the town how you saved the children. Perhaps a medal or something of that nature. And if there is anything you need or want, and it is in our power to grant, it is yours."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:13 am

Not an old woman, but a creature posing as an old woman; presumably as the creature he had faced had disguised itself as a carnival musician. Interesting. His hostess speaks on, and to the talk of heroes and thanks he lifts a hand from the arm of his chair to demur.

"Sera, you are kind, but I've little wish for accolades. I cannot imagine that anyone else in my situation would have acted differently." Well, almost anyone else. Any honest and decent citizen, at least.

"Of course it's necessary for the authorities to recognise such acts, to encourage them. But please understand, sera - I have my mill; I have farmers from whom I buy and bakers to whom I sell, to the satisfaction of all involved; my business prospers. I am a miller, not a hero, and that the children still live is reward enough for me."

A dignified little speech, sincerely delivered; what need has a miller for medals, after all? That need has Marek Waldemar for attention? None whatsoever. And yet to refuse outright may cause offence, may be taken as a snub. Compromise, then, even if there's a small sigh before he relents.

"I have no objection to my assistance being made known; I led the children away from the creature, sera, that is all. If you feel some ceremony is required I can agree to that, but would prefer not to be gawped at by crowds, if possible. I am a private man, you understand."

The older man pauses before continuing, as if weighing up a decision; his gaze for Rhaena Olwak is thoughtful, calculating.

"I should also like to see the other creature - the storyteller - for myself, if I may."
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am

She smiled, approving of his protestations. That was as it should be, after all.

"I appreciate that, ser. No crowds, no gawping," she went so far as to laugh lightly. "Yes, that can certainly be managed."

Then he made his request and it is met with a pretty smile from the governor's lady, her gaze anything but calculating. "If that is what you like, ser, then it shall be granted. But I must accompany you, and it were better done sooner than later."
Jirai
Op

Next

Return to Myrkentown