An Invitation

Re: An Invitiation

Postby Waldemar » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:02 am

"Thank you for your understanding, sera. If I'm to be famous, let it be for the quality of my flour." The miller permits himself a smile at that, wry and self-deprecating. When the lady gives permission for him to see the storyteller for himself, though, his demeanour is once again entirely businesslike.

"At your earliest convenience then, sera. I will not need very long at all." As if in recognition of her suggestion of better sooner than later he is already levering himself to his feet with the aid of his stick, dusting imaginary crumbs from his lap and straightening his coat. "Incidentally, do you know what manner of creature it might be?"
Nothing so bold as a miller's shirt, that every morning collars a thief.
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:01 pm

"And I have heard such fine things about your flour, ser Waldemar." She said with a pleasant smile, though her gaze is sharp. Rhaena Olwak has heard such things about the miller and his talents beyond the simple making of flour.

"If you have a few minutes more to spare, we might go now," She suggested, cup neatly settled on saucer. She rose a moment after he did, smoothing out her fine skirts with lace-gloved hands before motioning towards the door. "All I know is that the creature is able to change its appearance - I have seen it both as an old crone and a younger woman with red hair. And it seems to be able to use some magic to turn stories into reality."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 am

"Now would be ideal, sera. Please, lead on." He should perhaps offer a smile in thanks for her being so obliging. For now, though, he is entirely businesslike, even brisk.

"It may be helpful for me to speak with those who've been keeping it under guard, also. To see if they've noticed anything further about the thing." He had his speculations, suspicions based on what he'd been told, from the feel of the thing in the cave, how it had woven threads of enchantment through music. But laying eyes on the creature would provide confirmation.
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:16 am

"Then now it shall be." A smile, and then Rhaena lead the way out, a uniformed constable falling in behind them as they left. "She is not here, of course, but it is not so far. There is a room in the constabulary head quarters for such things, ever since the gaol was destroyed. I am happy to say that we have but rarely needed its use."

It proved to be a short walk indeed, and Rhaena Olwak was quite capable of carrying on a simple commentary to pass the time. Once they drew near to the building, though, words turned back to business.

"You must understand, ser, that we were forced to come up with certain restraints for the creature, to prevent her from working more of her foul magic here." The guard accompanying the pair opened the door for them and with a nod of thanks for that courtesy, Rhaena Olwak led the miller down a hallway to a particular room, one with two more guards stationed outside it.

"Here we are, ser."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:14 am

The miller is not much for small talk, his side of the conversation between the Governor's house and the Constabulary for the most part limited to acknowledging the lady's words enough to avoid being impolite.

As they near the door Sera Olwak voices what sounds close to being an apology, a justification for whatever lies beyond; the older mand dismisses them with a small wave.

"Whatever measures are necessary to keep the thing bound, sera; if it is dangerous you are wise to take no chances." Before the final room is opened he looks to one of the guards on the door, inclining his head in curt greeting.

"Some questions, ser." No move made to introduce himself, the lady's presence taken as sufficient warrant. "What have you or your colleagues observed of the creature while it's been imprisoned? Does it eat? Drink? Perform bodily functions?" A list of questions, rattled off quickly. "Does it show any limitations to its behaviour? Rules, it must follow? A refusal to eat certain foods? An aversion to particular substances - silver, iron, wood, salt? To marks or symbols of the One God?"
Waldemar

Postby Jirai » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 am

The miller asked his questions, but it was the lady to whom the guards looked. She gave a small nod and then they looked at each other before one of them shrugged and spoke up.

"She eats and drinks, ser, and everything that goes along with that. Haven't tried throwin' salt on her or nothing, but she wears the irons. Ain't like she could be talking with that on."
Jirai
Op

Postby Waldemar » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:49 am

The miller nods slightly at the Constable's answer, apparently satisfied; what little information the man's been able to give doesn't particularly confirm or disprove very much, but it may yet prove useful. Being able to lay eyes on the creature would provide a much clearer idea of what they had captured - the nature of the beast.

"If you'd be so good as to open the door, then. I won't need long." His fingers flex and curl briefly at his side, a quick twitching motion that ends with a clenched fist.
Waldemar

Postby Dulcie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:40 am

Everything was calculated, both her actions and her inactions. The door was opened, and the creature, who was hardly a creature at all sat there sitting rather neatly in a chair, the heavy bridle weighing against her face, cold iron keeping her tongue from moving and masking the young woman's features save for those bright green eyes that peered out at the hallway. Oh how she would have loved to have said something to this one, and a little twinkle seemed to exist in her eyes, and she'd lift her little pale fingers in greetings.

She was still dressed perfectly, her green dress glittering as brightly as it had been the day that Glenn had tackled her in the forest, not a strand of her bright red hair amiss, as if she'd spent time grooming herself this morning, despite the manacles.
Dulcie

Postby Waldemar » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:30 am

One of the Constables slides back the heavy bolts, and the door swings slowly open; the miller offers a nod of thanks to the Governor's lady and the Constables and steps forward, only as far as the threshold. His lips move silently for a moment, his free hand briefly lifting to his face, thumb and index finger circled around his eye.

A half-dozen heartbeats - no more - before he steps briskly back, nodding to the Constables to close the cell door again. When he turns to Rhaena Olwak his features are set in a frown of stern distaste, apparently not best pleased with what he discerned; his voice is quiet, pitched so as not to carry through the stout cell door.

"Thank you, sera. I think I've seen quite enough." His fingertips drum distractedly on the head of his cane for a moment as he thinks carefully.

"The bindings should be adequate in the short term, depending on what you mean to do with the thing - the bridle is particularly wise." Barbaric or not, it is necessary, and a lesser barbarism by far than the acts of which the creature stands accused. "Iron, sera - iron is the key. Surround it with the stuff, if possible."

Advice offered, he inclines his head again.

"I'll not take any more of your time, sera. You have been most kind."
Waldemar

Previous

Return to Myrkentown