Demons, Damsels and Decorum

Demons, Damsels and Decorum

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:44 am

The scented paper would be awaiting its recipient at the Broken Dagger, sealed with a familiar sigil (one that more and more people around town were wearing).

Miss Whelp,

I hope this letter finds you well. I regret that we have not yet had a chance to meet and wish to remedy this. Elliot Brown has spoken quite well of you and I would love to speak with you myself. Perhaps we might have tea sometime next week. Do let me know if you will be able to attend - I will happily send someone to you to ensure that you are attired properly for such an engagement.

Sincerely,
Rhaena Olwak
Jirai
Op

Re: Demons, Damsels and Decorum

Postby Guppy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:58 am

Whelp scrambled onto a stool at the bar and pulled at the sleeve of a dress that was becoming little more than rags. It was freshly washed at least, but she did not possess the skills that would be required to correct its state of affairs. The man behind the counter pulled out a letter and passed it over to her. He ignored her puzzled expression as she pulled it closer and unfolded it with reverent fingers. The words, mingling with a scent that the girl found vaguely cloying, stared back at her from the surface of the page. Lips affixed into a frown and she had an internal argument with an unseen presence. Eventually, It sighed and turned Its attention the letter to her so that she would hush her arguments about reading whatever prose some idiot had sent to the girl.

But wait, what was this? It found Its interest peaked at the words and debated over replying in Its own words. Eventually, caution won out. The Lady might have answers about what had happened to her beloved rogue and it was best not to irritate her into canceling the opportune meeting at this point.

Lady Olwak,

I find myself humbled by your request to join your company for tea. I would have no greater wish than to accept your invitation. Dearest Elliot Brown speaks about you in much the same manner and I find myself quite inspired by your Ladyship. I thank you for your thoughtful gesture to make certain that I am appropriately attired, as well. I would be most embarrassed to be within your attendance in my current apparel. I do so enjoy ruffles.

Until Next Week,
Noura, the whelp.

Of course, the reply had been heavily adjusted by It. Whelp's helpful contributions were tuned out entirely. Life could get dull and really, it was the little things that kept It happy. Whelp would likely be most surprised when Rhaena's people came to clothe her appropriately. With any luck, they would bring ruffles aplenty. The creature smiled to Itself and waited.
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:12 am

Ruffles aplenty there would be. At the appointed hour, a young woman arrived at the tavern, armed with a case that had been stuffed quite full. Not just a choice of dresses (ruffled), but also powders and paints and scents and hats and gloves and shoes and all the necessary items to effect a transformation from ragged wildling to elegant young lady.

"I am looking for a Miss Noura Whelp," She informed the bartender.
Jirai
Op

Postby Guppy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:24 am

Whelp was seated at a table within the tavern. She had happened upon a small cat with a freshly-killed rat within the stables. Her presence frightened the small creature into dropping its prey and it took flight. The girl had claimed the kill as her own and slipped into the Dagger to prepare the skull for its place on her belt. Hands bloodied with all manner of foul fluids, the girl glanced up upon hearing her name. Rhaena's girl would be directed with a casual nod in her direction from the tender of the bar. The wildling blinked at the other, small dagger paused in its task to eviscerate the pest. Suddenly shamed hands dropped both rat and tool in a hurry and instead, dropped into her lap. Was this the other's rat? Was that why Whelp was searched out? Those pale eyes ghosted over the case filled with dresses and narrowed with suspicion at the giggle in the back of her mind. She wondered what mess she found herself in, courtesy of the spirit, and sighed.
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:36 am

The bartender nodded and the young woman looked over towards Whelp. She blinked, dismay flitting across her features before discipline reasserted itself. After all, she would not be here if the girl was already fit for the public view, wasn't that right. So, with a small sigh, the woman heaved herself and her case over towards Whelp's table.

"Miss Whelp, I presume? Sera Olwak sent me to you, to ensure that you were suitably attired for your meeting with the lady." Pale eyes traveled up and down, not missing for an instant the bloody hands. "I am glad I arrived early."
Jirai
Op

Postby Guppy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 am

The young woman strode with purpose towards her and those wide pale eyes never strayed from their position upon the intruder. "Just Whelp," she corrected. A mental shove was given to the source of the raucous laughter within her head. It was clear that her intended message to the Lady had not been transcribed as she had wished. A heavy sigh passed her lips and she wiped her hands upon the front of her dress to clear them of the carrion upon her fingers. The dagger was tucked away in her belt and she rose from her seat. As she did, the small mammal and bird skulls hanging from said belt chimed, hollow, against one another. That likely gave the other another good reason for arriving earlier than she initially thought necessary. "Fine. I guess I can not rightly say no when you traveled all this way," she mentioned, sullen. She paused as she stared at the belongings the woman had brought with her.

"... Will it hurt?," she asked, with small voice.
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:53 am

"Beauty always hurts, miss." The woman smiled, though. "But I assure you, it will be worth it." Consideration given as Whelp stood, gaze lingering on the skulls, on the bloody smears now staining the ragged dress.

"We will start," she pronounced, "With a bath."
Jirai
Op

Postby Guppy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:26 am

It had not been a pleasant experience for either of them, to say the least. She had been bathed, her hair brushed and trimmed, sweet scents sprayed upon her form, and make-up had been applied. The final product, standing before a mirror, was reminded of the fragment that Niall had destroyed.

Her dark hair almost had a sheen to its formerly dull strands and its length was now more manageable. It had been curled at the edges and tied away from her face with bright ribbon. Her cheeks and lips had color splashed upon them. The paints that the other woman had used were foreign to her and there had been much protesting before she would allow them to grace her skin. The dress did have a few ruffles, to be fair. The wildling had been allowed to choose and that had been the one with the least. The garment was black and hung to her ankles. The sleeves stretched down to her knuckles and were almost sheer, aside from the straps of dark fabric that were elegantly wrapped in an intricate pattern across her skin. The neckline was low, but tasteful. It was a startling transformation and it would not be surprising if Elliot and Catch did not know her. She barely knew herself. She looked a lady.

She made a face at herself in the mirror and felt a little better about everything. She could feel the cool steel of her small skinning knife tied to her thigh under the dress. She had slipped it there when the woman had not been watching, pleading shyness. Now, she whirled to face the other, biting her tongue to stop from admitting that the soft, comfortable slippers upon her feet were a distinct improvement from her leather boots. "I do not understand the appeal," she offered, stubbornly. "When do we leave?"
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:28 am

The young woman - Greta, if Whelp had bothered to ask her name - regarded her handiwork critically. Better, perhaps, if she had gone with the ruffly blue dress, but even so. The woman gave a short nod.

"Much better. And we can leave now, now that you are ready. The carriage outside will take you." And she would shoo the not-so-wildling into the carriage.

Upon arrival, Whelp would be ushered into a finely appointed room, brightly lit and colorful. There was a bookcase along one wall and, next to the window, a hanging cage housing a pair of brightly plumed songbirds. More importantly, there was a table laid out with a variety of tiny sandwiches and cookies as well as a teapot and three cups. Surrounding the table were three chairs.

Rhaena Olwak herself was standing by the window, elaborately gowned and perfectly coiffed as always, feeding some bread crumbs to the songbirds. She turned as the door opened and smiled, her expression one of approval for the young woman's appearance.

"Welcome, Miss Whelp. I am so glad that you could join us."
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:06 am

Elliot was in the room as well. Of course he was. Punctuality was both an excellent showcase of manners and a true virtue. He was not far from the Lady Olwak, standing by her as if an eternal guard, but also an eternal companion. There was a warm smile on his face as he looked out the window, as if staring on into the future with hope in his heart. The two of them matched in very subtle ways. The colors may not have lined up nor the designs, but he complemented her. It was, perhaps, not something Whelp would notice, her eye not trained to such a thing, but in many ways, Elliot Gahald was the perfect visual accessory for the Lady.

When she turned, he did as well. "Oh, Miss Whelp," cheerfulness in his tone and an ever-brightening smile. "You look wonderful. I'm ever so pleased to see you!" It was not just cheerfulness but an enthusiasm. Seeing her cleaned up and made pleasant to the eye was one of the greatest joys he has experienced since returning to Myrken. It was another piece of proof that beautification and grace were attainable in this world. There was, of course, no higher goal. "Welcome!"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Guppy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 am

Whelp had indeed asked the girl for her name. Both because she did not feel herself above anyone and because she wanted to know what name to shout things at when the tangles were being pulled from her hair. The woman guided her out to the carriage and the wildling eyed it with mistrust, though in the end, she climbed within. Not long after, they would arrive at the Lady's home and she was whisked away to that brightly lit room before she could gawk at the opulence of the abode.

The young woman stood within the doorway and pale eyes ghosted over the colorful embellishments. Her gaze was drawn to the two birds within their cage and she felt a sudden pang within her breast. They were happily eating crumbs from the Lady's hand, but she wished them freedom. Their lives were far more comfortable here, but at what cost? As she glanced around the room again, she thought perhaps that she had more in common with the songbirds in their gilded cage than previously suspected. At the moment, under the watchful eyes of the Lady Olwak she, too, felt quite trapped. The approval on her features was noted and Whelp hesitated there, uncertain of her emotions. Not many within authority looked upon her in such fashion and it was nice for once, to be accepted. The smile that she gifted the Lady with after her warm greeting was almost shy. Inwardly, she chided herself.

Rhaena may note that as soon as Elliot spoke, he had every crumb of the wildling's attention. Her features livened considerably as soon as his gaze fastened upon her. It was as if she were awakening for the first time. Her affection and obvious attraction for the boy were not easy to miss. Whelp did not note how nicely he matched his Lady, but It did.

Oh, but what a pretty little lapdog she has there. See how he stands at attention? Sweet thing. Such attention to detail. Such quaint little tricks.

The words from the creature oozed with contempt so acerbic that Whelp was glad that the creature did not choose to utter them aloud. To the casual observer, her features went slack for a moment, as she listened, but then her gaze was on the boy again and her cheeks colored at his attention. Apparently slightly uncomfortable and not at all used to the compliments he lay before her, she gave a perfunctory scowl. "It itches," she complained, reaching a hand with curled fingers to scratch against freshly-cleaned scalp near where her tresses were tied back. The managed to pull a few strands, but Greta had secured it nicely. Still, her cheeks could not lie, and she was quite pleased with his praise.

"Well. Thank you for having me. And are those for anybody?," asked in a rush of words. She tried her best to give a little curtsey at the greeting and almost fell over with the lack of practice. Her hand rose at the same time and a finger pointed at the cookies and small sandwiches on display upon the table. Wasn't Catch supposed to be coming at some point? The girl never thought that she would find herself longing for the mad man's company, but she felt woefully out of place.
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:32 am

The two brightly colored birds were not alone in their cage. There was a third, easily missed at first, for its plumage was nowhere near as extravagant. Plain brown in color, with a paler breast. A nightengale.

Much as the knight complemented Rhaena, the room itself almost seemed designed to showcase the governor's lady in the best light. She fit here perfectly - and why shouldn't she? This was her room, after all.

"Won't you have a seat?" She gestured airly towards one of the chairs, moving towards another herself. "And please, help yourself. It is a pleasure to meet you at last - Elliot has told me so much about you."
Jirai
Op

Postby Glenn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:39 am

There were so many ways to tell someone about someone else. When encountering the Lady Olwak, using words was the very least of them. There was no remnant in Elliot of who he had been. Perhaps It, looking deep through Whelp's eyes into the gaze of someone who had been bewitched by her only weeks before had realized that. It wasn't a case of one persona repressing another. Whoever Elliot Brown had been, he was gone now and so were all of his memories of Whelp. Of course, they hadn't been gone when Nova had taken his ring. Perhaps her words of learning all about Whelp were not mere pleasantries at all.

He moved with such swift grace, almost like a dancer, yet with a knight's posture and a proper, polite look upon his face. Of course he moved to pull out the chairs, Lady Olwak's and then Whelp's. "It would be wonderful if you could be presented so all the time, Miss Whelp. A little itching is a small price for beauty. I do think we will have much to talk about and I could not imagine a more pleasant setting." Only then would he reach out for her hand, hoping to give it a chaste, gentleman's kiss.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Guppy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 am

Movement caught her eye at the back of the cage and she peered over the plain bird. She did not know the species of the creature and her attention was fleeting. Her only thought was to wonder how nice the plain feathers would be attached to her belt. Of course, only if something should befall the bird. Whelp did not often claim the creatures that died by her own hand. More scavenger than predator.

When a seat was gestured to, those feet held in soft slippers moved forward. Her walk was not that of a lady's. She was startled when Elliot pulled out her chair and gave him a suspicious glance. After a brief pause, which would likely give him enough time to push in Rhaena's chair, she settled into her own.

Lady Olwak's words caught her attention. Elliot had informed her of Whelp. "Why?," she blurted, with a glance towards the Knight. She did not understand why they would speak of her, for she had little consequence in her mind. "And how? He knows so little of me, now," she mentioned as she glanced between them, eyes narrowed. Suspicion hovered on her features. Still, her hands were busy gathering the tidbits of food that had been on display as if she had never eaten before.

Elliot told her that she should always look like this. That itching was a small price. "Then you wear the dress," she retorted, with a roll of her eyes. "I live in the woods, Elliot. It would get tangled in the briars and every stag from miles away would hear me coming." Though, he did manage to distract her by reaching for her hand. The action made her drop the sandwich that she had been reaching for. Brows knitted and then when his intent became clear, eyes widened. His lips touched briefly, chastely, upon her skin and her cheeks were aflame once again. The food was forgotten on her plate for a moment as she reclaimed her hand and clasped both of them in her lap. The hand that had not been paid such pleasant attention was cupped over the area that still burned. Protecting, savoring. She seemed suddenly at a loss of what to do with herself and glanced up helplessly at Lady Olwak.
Guppy

Postby Jirai » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:57 am

A nod of thanks for the young knight as he pulled out chairs and made sure that the two ladies were seated properly. She reached for the teapot with one gloved hand, carefully pouring tea into each cup.

"I am afraid that Sir Elliot looks far more dashing in his armor than in a dress." She said with a light laugh. "You, on the other hand... the dress suits you. And there is hardly need for you to live in the woods, Miss Whelp. Such... accommodations are hardly suitable. We will find something better."

As the young woman looked to the Governor's lady (and wasn't that exactly how it should be?), Rhaena smiled. "You are a beautiful young woman, Miss Whelp. Exactly what Myrken needs. Yet you have a darker side, do you not?"
Jirai
Op

Next

Return to Myrkentown