A Visit to Channe

A Visit to Channe

Postby Treadwell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:27 am

Afternoon of the twenty-ninth of the seventh month, 213.

Aloisius Treadwell shows up at the tailor shop of Channe Atrahasis and her apprentices this afternoon.

He is certainly quite the eyesore: an orange suit and floppy hat, the suit at least a couple of sizes too small for his rotund frame, with brown suspenders barely holding his trousers in place and a bright yellow shirt, again too snug, covering his body. The shirt is also hardly tucked in properly at the sides, revealing roly-poly pudginess and threatening to burst buttons. His usual brown, heavy boots clump along at his feet with his lumbering, cane-aided steps.

"Hullo!" he squeakily offers to the first person he sees, whether facing or turning away, who seems to possibly work at the store. "Madam Channe, mmph mmph, mentioned something about my coming this way, hmm hmm? I wish to see about proper measurements, hrm hrm, and either alterations to clothes or, if I must, mmph mmph, new clothes entirely!"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: A Visit to Channe

Postby channe » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 am

"Yes," she says, lifting her head; she's working at needlework in the corner, supervising an apprentice's own work. She sets it aside, and takes a look at Treadwell and his -- uh. His problems. His definite problems.

"Councilor, how pleasant to see you," she says, smoothly, moving to the sideboard where there is a decanter full of ruby liquid. "May I offer you a glass of wine?"

And while she does, she thinks:

Garish colors.
Improper sizing.

And finally:

This will be interesting?
channe

Postby Treadwell » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:10 am

"Please!" Treadwell pipes, standing there a little wobbly from left to right on his cane. "How good to see you, madam! I trust I've come at a, hmm hmm, reasonable hour?" Beady eyes sweep from left to right, searching, hunting, begging for a couch or chair or even a sturdy table to sit upon, to rest a wearied body overtaxed from the mere burden of walking from toy shop to tailor shop.

"Would you like to begin now, hmm hmm? Where do you need me? What, ahem, do I need to do here? My previous tailor, rest his soul, mmph mmph, was dreadfully informal and peculiar about it all. . . ." At that, Tready blushes a bit, adding red to the onslaught of visuals.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby channe » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:25 pm

"It all depends on what you want," Channe says smoothly, walking to another sideboard where she's stored some sketchbooks. "You want new clothing; but I need to know what kinds of things you like. So let's talk about that, shall we?"

She pauses and takes a seat nearby, placing the wine on a table next to Treadwell. "We can start with what you're wearing. What makes it comfortable for you? What don't you like about it?"
channe

Postby Treadwell » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:09 am

"Comfortable?"

Treadwell wobbles slowly over to stand by Channe. He doesn't dare worm into one of the seats next to her, as he'd rather not have to pay for a replacement chair along with his potential outfits.

"I never said it was, my dear, mmph mmph. In fact, almost every last thing I'm wearing's too tight. The only items I'm wearing right now that fit me well are the old boots on my feet!"

The elderly councilman gives a shrug of his shoulders, still leaned onto his cane.

"What, hmm hmm, advice would you give, eh? I, umm, well, I don't know terribly much about colors and clothes and what goes well together, I'm afraid, or even what looks proper on me, mmph mmph. My Alice, hee hee, quite considers it a blessed miracle just seeing me in something that matches, and as she's not been here these last weeks, my, mmph, wardrobes are in dreadful disarray."

That warming blush still floats on Tready's floofy-white-bearded face. Further down, his belly gives a faint rumbling.
Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Nearly three weeks these visits have dragged, with next to little progress save the ever expanding girth of Treadwell's waistline, behind, and breasts, measured out in appropriate notches and ticks. Never mind the rotund Councilor's horribly rampant indecision and utter cluelessness about what to wear. It might have seemed to those at Channe's shop that no progress could be made with this slug of a guest. . . .

Until the wife showed up this morning, a woman nearly Treadwell's match in size and age, wearing a stately, formal dress of dark purple and a hood of the same to match.

"Aloisius says he's been coming here these last few weeks, and I should think he's been giving you dreadful misery," Alice Treadwell offers to the first lady she sees in the shop.

"He hasn't a clue about proper sizes, matching colors, or any of the whole affair. He won't be returning until when you need to measure him for his latest round of numbers. What I want, my dears," she nods and toddles forth, "is what he wants."
Treadwell

Return to Myrkentown