A Gentleman Scorned

A Gentleman Scorned

Postby Dulcie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:29 am

Councilor Berdini was no stranger to the teahouse. In fact, in some months he had been the greatest patron of the place, both in the main floor of the building and as a guest to the rooms upstairs. There was not a tea, nor a teahouse girl that Stefan Berdini hadn't sampled at one point or another, and generally here was the place he came when he wanted to be treated like royalty. After all his deep pockets and suave demeanor left girls vying for his attention whenever he came to visit. There was no reason that tonight should be like any other.

It was true, that there had been that rather unfortunate incident with Simona, though luckily the girl had forgotten it just like all of the others that he had showed to that secret room. Still, with the hour lost to consider he hadn't taken upon himself to visit the teahouse since then. Perhaps it was just that his last experience had been so satisfying even without his rememberance that he hadn't needed the place. Still, a man could only contain himself so long and courting a woman was just far too much work.

Except in the case of Shetani. That evil creature boiled his blood and consumed his mind. She was difficult to shake in the days and weeks that passed between her visits. She was a creature that he was sure would feed the most carnal of his desires. But those sorts of women took time, patience. They were worth the wait in the end. Not like cheap, little disposable teahouse girls filled with all their silly non-sense and ruffles. But he had needs, and seeing Shetani leave his apartment had only stoked the fire that he was sure he could no longer contain, and so it was at the door of the teahouse that he went.

He had barely made it inside of the building, having already begun to remove his coat when one of the blond haired girls (his least favorite actually, she was far simpler than most and likely only got the job by virtue of a rather large bosom) came over to him and started shaking her head.

"I'm.. I'm sorry M-m-mister Berdini. You aren't allowed here anymore." She stammered, recoiling from him as if some muscle memory recalled the sort of wrath that could be started in the man, even if her mind had no recollection of it.

He blinked and stared at the girl for a long minute that made the girl squirm with discomfort as she watched his reaction.

"Not allowed?" His voice was dark, and as cold as the winter's breath and yet outwardly he seemed disturbingly calm. "And might I inquire as to why I am not longer allowed?" His hand clenched and unclenched on the handle of his cane.

"I-I-I don't know Sir. Miss K-k-a-c-k-kk-" She couldn't even get Petronela's name out properly and eventually gave up. "She just said you weren't allowed anymore. P-p-puhlease, I don't want a scene." Why she would think that was quite intriguing considering just how calm the gentleman had been until this point.

"Ah my dear girl, I can see that this is hardly your fault." The hand clenched and unclenched once more. "But I do hope you can understand my concern. I've missed your company my little flower, and I so longed to see you tonight."

The girl stopped cowering enough to look at him and blink a few times. He rarely chose her, and the nights that he had it seemed like the other girls had been busy. But she, like the others remembered how well he paid.

"Do get Miss Kaczmarek for me please." He continued. "I believe I'm owed an explanation."

He watched as the girl turned to go and averted his gaze a moment, hissing an irritated breath through his nose. Oh the Mistress of the Teahouse would most indefinitely pay for this offense were she not able to redeem herself.
Dulcie

Re: A Gentleman Scorned

Postby channe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:23 am

And here she is: Miss Kaczmarek, without the beautiful vines-and-tiara brooch that had been omnipresent at her throat for months. She hadn't been changed as badly as the others; she still wore curls down to her shoulders and nice fabric, but there was something far more utilitarian about it, something that said that she -- she! -- was the businesswoman, not one of her girls, and certainly not someone to be trifled with. She sends one of the girls to obtain tea and cakes.

Her jaw sets as she crosses the room. "Mister Berdini," she says, warmly. "Lovely to see you again. You'll excuse Lara, I hope; she's been a little skittish since the Lady fell. Please, have a seat. You'll always be welcome here in the tea-room, especially since you are one of my best customers. But before I can allow you to see my ladies privately, I think we need to have a chat."
channe

Postby Dulcie » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:12 am

"Ahh, Miss Kaczmarek. I'm so sorry to disturb you from your work." He soothed with disturbing calm. "I do believe there has been some sort of misunderstanding." What it could be he couldn't quite imagine, but then Petronela suggested tea, and cakes and sitting and he would bow his head slightly in agreement.

"Very well. I'm certainly not opposed to a conversation with a successful woman." He offered her one of his winning smiles. An actor to the core as in his mind he was imagining putting the woman through a thousand deaths for slowing down his progress towards some satisfaction.

"Of course, of course I'll excuse Miss Lara. Poor thing, I'm sure it's been very hard on everyone here since the lady's unfortunate demise."

Tea arrived and the little cakes. They weren't as good as Altias's cakes of course, but it had been some time since his lover had been around and they would have to suffice. He'd accept his cup of tea with a polite nod and word of thanks before his eyes settled on Petronela again.

"Now then, about this conversation we need to have. Do begin."
Dulcie

Postby channe » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:35 am

"Let me make this perfectly clear," she says, cleanly, her hands folded in her lap. "This is a gracious teahouse, not a brothel. My girls are not common whores. They come and they go as they please, they see who they please, and they are not to be manipulated as if they were common prostitutes. They are companions." A pause. Companions who pay a percentage to the house, of course. For rent. Always rent.

"You have made some of the girls uncomfortable, Mister Berdini. And, on top of that, your... largesse, as generous as it is, has made some of the ladies... question their freedom. If they do not want your companionship, they shouldn't have to take it just because you're throwing money hither and yon. This teahouse provides a stable, independent lifestyle for women who may not otherwise be able to have one, and you're turning that into a dependency on yourself. If you want a common prostitute, go find a common prostitute. But from now on, you are barred from seeing my girls in this teahouse."

Smoothly, she smiles. "You are, however, welcome to come partake of our excellent tea and food at any time. And I'm sure any of the girls in the Narrows will be glad for the attentions of a distinguished Councilor such as yourself."

Of course, there was also the information told to her by her sister. But that doesn't need to be said, now, does it? she thinks.
channe

Postby Dulcie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:54 am

Spoken to as if he were some common man, someone who didn't know the rules of these sorts of places, how to play the game of appearances. Anger seethed through his veins in burning fire that pumped again and again from his heart as he listened to Petronela's chastizement.

"I would challenge you to name one instance where I have behaved inappropriately within these four walls. I have offered your ladies nothing but respect, and opportunity. Never have I attempted to claim their freedom."

His fists clenched beneath the tablecloth as he watched her, his eyes cool as he considered the teahouse matron.
"You imply that I pay too much for the services of the ladies who rent from your establishment. If it's a matter of money please, advise me of a proper amount and I would be happy to pay less. I don't believe any of them have complained in the past, but I would hate to insult their lifestyle with too much coins. I'm a generous man you see, I see a woman trying to make her way on her own and here I am with all this wealth and no one but my associates to spend it upon." He offered her his actor's smile. "I am not interested in girls from the Narrows. I have no interest in women who miss their teeth or are beaten by the men who force them into the streets. You run a dignified, safe establishment here, that I do regularly enjoy. Now if I've caused some sort of offense allow me to correct it. However if this is a matter of personal feelings then I'm afraid I will have to question your decision making."

"Now then, how shall we settle this matter?"
Dulcie

Return to Myrkentown