A Murder Mystery

A Murder Mystery

Postby Dulcie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:58 am

Dulcie's conversation with Treadwell hadn't gone the way that she had hoped, but there were some benefits to running an inn. It meant that people talked. Sometimes they talked to you and sometimes they just talked around you, but either way they talked. She had heard rumors about a man who was fairly new to town and looked into things that the constables wouldn't. Missing persons, runaway dogs, stolen items. They sounded simple, but if he could track down a missing person maybe he could track down a murderer.

She looked up at the sign above the door curiously before knocking firmly upon the office/residence of Seasons. No first name, or maybe no last name. All she got was Seasons when she asked around. She waited patiently outside, keeping an eye out along the street. It would be better if she was noticed by less people. Who knew if the killer was watching.
Dulcie

Re: A Murder Mystery

Postby Suede » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:48 pm

I was known to sleep late into the day after working. I was also known to sleep on my desk in the small front office I had set up when I was technically supposed to be open for business, but I really wanted to just catch up on my sleep. I don't know who knew these things, but someone clearly had to or I wouldn't be having an internal monologue about it. This was where I was when the knocks came at my door. I remember I snorted and jerked my head up, glaring around the room blearily as I collected just where the hell I was. A hand went through my hair, I probably look like something the underdark spat out, but too bad.

I made a half-hearted effort to fix down my mashed hair, straighten my shirt, and wipe the sleep from my face as I shoved the chair back and stomped to the door. A good hand on the knob and I flung it back, forgetting I wasn't dressed for the cold, and that it was rather cold. I thought I made a manly effort to ignore the burst of frost on my face (it certainly woke me up), but I think there may have been a shiver in there.

I glanced around, towards where the woman was peering, then stared at her and realized it was the barkeep at the Dagger. My first thought was what I acted on, throwing up both my hands defensively. "I paid my tab."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:06 pm

She looked at him strangely, and his instinctive gesture about his bar tab.

"I know." She said looking puzzled for a moment and then shook her head. "Can I come in?" She didn't wait for the invitation, she'd be moving inside whether he was going to let her in or not. "I have some business that I thought you could help with. The constables won't.. and Treadwell won't..." And then she sniffled, pulling a handkerchief from her sleeve to dab at her eyes before turning about to look at him.

"Rhaena Olwak was my friend. She was made into the monster that she was, it wasn't her fault. She didn't deserve to die, and no one is even looking into her death. The body seems to be missing, no one even cares who killed her, and everyone is just continuing on with their lives like they're all happy she's gone. And I... I'm not!" She looked like she was about to cry and then caught herself, taking a deep breath.

"I've been told you're the kind of person who can look into these things when no one else will. Please tell me that's true."
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Well, it was good that she wasn't thinking I owed any money. I wasn't actually sure myself and was going to rely on my acting skills to trick her if she had come saying I did. I have a great innocent face. Before I could get a word in edgewise she just... shoved past me and into the office. Damnit, dames. While she was babbling I glared at the space she had been at and slammed the door closed with a heavy sigh.

"Lady, you do know your friend threatened to kill me if I didn't prove to be a good enough bloodhound for her, right?" I rolled my shoulders and leaned back against the door frame, trying to look cool, casual, collected. I stuck my thumbs in my pocket while I chewed on my lip. "I do that sort of work. The question is why would I want to track down Rhaena Olwak's body or murderer? It'll be hard work for having no motivation. No one can remember anything from around then."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:37 am

She flopped down into one of the rickety looking chairs and squeezed her handerkchief in her hands. Where once she had worn fluffy frilly dresses, she was dressed more sensibly now, her black gown of mourning simple, hand sewn and worn in some places. She was accustomed to death.

"That wasn't her. Not really her. We were all under a horrible spell. Rhaena could always do things, she could control minds, but she didn't. She didn't even like to talk to people in their heads if she didn't have to. She was a good person. I think it must have been the storyteller's fault from what I hear. She told me a story about an innkeeper that touched this special water and then men fell in love with her, and then that same thing happened to me. She must have told Rhaena something that made her want to hurt people." She took another deep breath and dabbed a tear that was escaping her eyes with her handkerchief.

"If you had known her, the real her, you would have known what a good person she was." He mentioned motivation and she nodded, fishing out a coin purse. "I wasn't going to ask you to do it for free. I don't know what this sort of thing usually costs, but I can pay... maybe not all of it right now but I'll get you what I owe you, or offer a tab at the Dagger in trade. Please, I just want my friend to rest peacefully. I've lost more people that I love than you can imagine and I can't grieve another not knowing what really happened. Please. I know it will be difficult, but it's still recent, the trail must still have a few leads."
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:43 pm

"I know what I see. I tend to trust my eyes. The woman was looney, word on the street she was some sort of bipolar whack job. But you can be friends with whomever you want." I didn't really give a shit, though I'd have to keep my head down if people thought I was trying a bit too hard to find out who killed Rhaena for the wrong reasons. She was sniffling, tearing up, and giving me her sob story about how it wasn't really the poor girls fault.

The innkeeper might have been sincere, but I'd seen enough acts by pretty women looking for a rube to do their dirty work to take this with a grain of salt. I rubbed at the scruff on my neck and eyed the purse she showed me. "I prefer to work on a barter system. A tab works, with a little coin up front for work expenses." I kept my face straight, but bah what the hell. She came up with more stories of loss, and what do you say to that? To a girl with a handkerchief in her grip? I had a few soft spots, screw you.

"You don't happen to have a key to her house in there, do you?"
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:32 am

Those words stung. Her friend, a bipolar looney (whatever either of those things meant. She was pretty sure that looney at least meant crazy). It wasn't Rhaena's fault and she knew it, and as he levied those accustations at someone he had never met she cried, for real this time.

Dulcie wasn't the kind of person that just broke down, but every now and then she had her moments, and this was one of them. Luckily she wasn't a snivelling, snotty mess. She had her cry and then she stopped, nodding her head a little at his comment about barter.

"I can arrange that. Just tell me how much." Her voice still quivering as she spoke. "I don't have a key, but if her husband, the real Governor, Glenn Burnie is found.. he'll be just as invested in finding out who her murderer was as I am. But maybe Councilor Treadwell has one. He knows everything about everyone's homes, he's the tax collector after all. Maybe if you told him that you were going there for clean up or something he'd let you in. Be careful though, he seems to be very suspicious about everything."

She paused again, as if something had suddenly struck her.

"Rhaena's brother. He's married to a werewolf. At least that's the rumor anyhow. I've heard they have good noses for blood."
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:08 am

Oh damnit, more waterworks. And these might be real. What the hell am I supposed to do with this? Not say no, even if I am being set-up. I'm a sucker. My hands were in front of me, in defense against... what? Tears? And I hunched down a bit as a took a step closer. "Hey uh... there there. It's going to be alright?"

But she stopped crying, clearly my comforting had helped, and she was talking about the work she wanted again. "I don't want to wait... or talk to taxmen. It's alright, I can get a key." A big one, about 6 inches wide, a little jagged, fits through a window pane. No one will notice. I should learn to pick locks.

"I'd rather not deal with or declare to large men with small minds about what you want me to do if they can't be trusted." How did I keep getting myself involved with Rhaena Olwak and her escapades. It had only been twice now, but that was twice too much. And she's dead, and I'm alive.

I couldn't stop my head from twitching towards Dulcie again when she mentioned a werewolf and someone being married to one. I kept my face carefully neutral on that. "I've heard that rumor, I'd rather it not have a good nose for -my- blood."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:12 am

"It's not alright." Her tone glum as she shook her hand and waved off any other attempts to comfort her. She had managed through worse and she knew she would get through this as well.

"Yes, you're probably right. It's better not to involve anyone you can't trust. And I don't think there's many people you could trust in this matter. Glenn Burnie would be keen to know who murdered his wife, as would Kals Olwak. I think his wife, the werewolf, is named Kacela. Or Dream Lady. Depends on who you talk to. And Agniezska Kaczmarek. I told her I was going to come to you. If there's anyone I'd trust in this matter it would be her. Apart from Glenn I think Agnie and I may be her only real friends."

She got up from her seat then and sniffled a little more, dabbed at her eyes a little more and finally tucked away her handkerchief. "Leave me a note at the bar with your fees, I'll make sure that everything is arranged on your tab. I'm assuming you know where to find me when you have news?"
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:55 am

Finding a body was probably easier than finding an actual person. This may be Myrken, but usually the bodies moved around less than the living people. Well, we'll see how it all shakes out. "I'll ask around, get myself a key, and see what there is to see. I assume you'll be at your job, but it might take a little bit if someone has done something more than just burn it."

I wouldn't be surprised if they had, no one liked to keep a body around in this place. But, if she was paying he certainly could find out just who had done it. "I'll find you at Dagger." I could still be a gentleman, and I'd make certain to hold the door for her and be certain she was set to sorts before seeing the innkeep out.

So, the lady's house, her canine sister-in-law, and the foul-mouthed chairwoman. Places to start.
Suede

Return to Myrkentown