At the Door of the Gilded Lily

At the Door of the Gilded Lily

Postby Treadwell » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 pm

As of the morning of the twenty-third of July, a note, secured and hanging on a stout measure of yarn, could be found attached to one of the handles of the oak doors at the Gilded Lily. The words, "For the proprietor, Stefan Berdini, ONLY" are written on the outside of the note in Councilor Treadwell's familiar, sloppy, heavy script. If unfolded, the following would be visible.

A copy of the same letter would also be sent by courier to Berdini's address, to be delivered to whatever servant or hand might take it within to the Councilor. Should none be there to see to the delivery, it would be returned to the toymaker's shop.

= = = = = =
Councilor Berdini,

I do hope that all is well with you; I have not heard from you in some time or seen you at the Meetinghouse. My interest at the moment, though, regards this fine structure, The Gilded Lily, with its monumental estate and its excellent furnishings. I have, with my key to the place as is part of my role as Councilor for Revenue and Finance, given the building a good, sound study and found it highly desirable--but, admittedly, empty of patrons and peoples on the day that I explored it.

With fear of being too blunt in my words, I fear that the structure is going to waste. If you but lack proper players to fill it, then I can easily find you those. If you feel that Myrkeners are unable to afford such extravagances as a good play or stage act, I can assist you in creating proper programs with fitting costs to see people into the seats and the standing room.

However, if it is interest that you lack in maintaining and carrying on with this grand building, then I seek to purchase the deed of it from you, so as to facilitate the growth of this establishment and the enjoyment of Myrken Wood's citizens here. We have a town of nearly three thousand and five hundred, sir. Quite a few of them would care to see this renewed and active.

Should you wish to add to your own coffers and relieve yourself of the burden of this establishment, I have written up a deed of contract for sale and left it in the players' dressing room, stage right, atop a neatly folded black vest, pair of trousers, and robe that all look suited for the part of a proper round-bellied judge. The matching skullcap for such attire was moved from where the letter now rests to sit upon a folio copy of Albrecht Durning's Comedy of Laws, dated 178. By the by, should you have made no time to read it, that piece is remarkably witty, making good satire of the town council of Colmouth at the time. It's delightful.

Before you fret of it, I properly locked all back. Nothing is missing; nothing is otherwise out of place.

Do let me know your intentions for this property and establishment, and soon. We have a regiment of visiting soldiers here, sir, and I wager they just might like some reasonable entertainment if they mean to stay long.

In deepest sincerity and humility,

Aloisius H. Treadwell
This twenty-third day of the seventh month, 214
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: At the Door of the Gilded Lily

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:49 pm

Both letters had arrived to Berdini almost simultaneously, each delivered by a servant who attended to him in the Lily and the extravagant apartment he kept in the rooms upstairs above the theatre.

The servant was sent away and each letter was opened and carefully inspected, read with a furrowed brow and a look of confusion upon his face. With a sigh he picked up his quill and put it to paper.

----------
Councilor Treadwell,

I do hope that this letter reaches you in good health. I must admit I was quite surprised by your admission to entering my establishment without my permission. While I acknowledge your right to hold keys to such public places, I do believe that it is common courtesy to at least send note or messenger to announce that one will be visiting.

While I appreciate your concern for the Gilded Lily I assure you that it is in good hands, and that there is not lack of entertainment here. Our shows were conducted quite regularly up until the famine, at which point I deemed it necessary to lend my serving staff out to the local farms and public services to do what they could to contribute. Perhaps you were unaware of this as I wanted to keep the matter private. I am at my heart a humble man. I felt it would be in poor taste to be crafting extravagant productions while the people of Myrken Wood starved.

I am also puzzled by your insistence that I have not been in attendance at the meetinghouse. I am sure to participate in any mandatory meetings and continue to retain my interest in Myrken Wood's arts. Perhaps there have been meetings I have not been made aware of. Such a thing would make me wonder at the intent of the other Council members if that is the case.

Finally, the Gilded Lily is most certainly not for sale. If there is certain entertainment that you, or others would like to procure please simply make me aware and I shall address the matter promptly. I believe now that we are out of the woods so to speak I shall be able to once again resume more regular entertainment.

With Best Regards,

Stefan Berdini, Councilor of the Arts
Dulcie

Postby Treadwell » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:04 pm

A reply! A reply read and another reply crafted!

= = = = = =
Councilor Berdini,

I thank you for your timely attention, sir, and for your recollection of the details surrounding the theatre's temporary reallocation of resources. As for the current state of the province, I do hope that all is well with you. I fear that Governor Burnie might be in a poor relationship with our visitors, and I also fear how we might be thought. I do hope your health is well; mine is passably well, for a man of my condition and age, at least.

You have my sincerest apologies regarding my studies of the Gilded Lily. I did so with the best of intentions and utmost of concern. We live in an age that is tumultuous at best, dear friend, and I have experienced a lifetime of backstabbing, thievery, political designs, and schemes. I foresee the coming of such here, though I am not quite sure what means they will take at this precise moment.

Do stay in the closest of contact. We are a council, and if I know aught from leading one for over thirty years before coming here, it is that a council must act together.

From my toy shop, where I may be reached as ever,

Aloisius Horatio Treadwell
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

Dear Councilor Treadwell,

I do regret that we must worry so about appearances to the general public. I am of the belief however that with time and perseverance we will once again be able to gain the confidence of the people. I am pleased that I will be a part of that. I also regret that you have experienced so many negative events during your years on the Council. Please be assured that I am indeed a man of honor, and I only have the best interests of the people in my heart.

You mention that we are dear friends, and yet we have rarely spent much time together. I quite agree we should stay in close contact, perhaps over a social event. I've heard rumors that your wife is an excellent cook, perhaps we could share a meal some evening. I would quite enjoy getting to know you and your family personally.

Sincerely,

Stefan Berdini

Dulcie

Return to Myrkentown