How vast is your desert?

How vast is your desert?

Postby Dulcie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:41 am

Holding one foot in Myrken's dark underworld and one foot in the broad daylight of the town Council and high society is no easy task. In fact it's a task that can truly only be accomplished with a heavy network of supports. Servants without command of the common tongue, and a good roster of spies that would work for a pittance in pay. These are things that Stefan Berdini had in abundance. His position as Councilor of the Arts continued to afford him a station from which to make his daily life seem legitimate. The theatre was booming with the influx of people to the town and never had it brought him such profits. As for his other ventures in life, things seemed to have remained relatively calm. What need was there to stir up trouble? At least just yet.

He was relaxing in his apartment above the theatre when a familiar tap was heard on the door. The guest was welcomed inside. A young boy, barely in his teenaged years and dressed in the tattered clothing of Myrken's lower class. The desperate made the best spies and they were easily dispatched of if they became trouble. This child was an orphan. The type that no one would notice if they went missing, and no one would believe if they went running to the constable with tales about a Councilman's affairs.

"Ahh George. Do come in. Would you care for a glass of wine?" He ushered the filthy urchin into his home and motioned towards the silken pillows that he used for seating. The child gulped, visibly and made his way to the pillow and seated himself cross legged.

"N-n-no thank you Sir. I um.. I saw something in the street you might be interested in." The Councilman made George nervous. He couldn't quite put his finger on why. He'd only ever been treated with kindness by the man, but something about him always made his skin crawl. If it weren't for the promise of a copper or even a silver coin he wouldn't have come.

"Have you? Well I must say I'm intrigued, you rarely come here unless you've been called upon. Do tell me, what have you seen?" Berdini sat down across from the boy and smiled his inviting smile, privately enjoying the way the youth squirmed in his seat. Fear was a powerful thing.

"W-w-well, you know how you said to let you know if I ever came across anyone from the desert Sir? Well.. I uh.. there was a girl today.. in the streets. A um,.. real pretty one, a dancer. Heard rumors she's from the desert. Dances in one of those fancy things like some of your dancers dress in. Guess I thought you'd want to know."

Berdini paused, a good long pause. One that made the already uncomfortable George even more uncomfortable. It was unusual to get desert dwellers here. In fact, the only one he knew of was that filthy girl with the bonnet who was from Jernoa. No threat, especially now that he heard rumors that she carried a child in her belly. Good riddance in his mind. A new face however, well that was interesting. One might like to believe that a desert was a large place, and while there were many different deserts in this great world, caution was always something to be mindful of. A dancer in particular was someone to be wary of.

"Of course I wanted to know." The Councilman said, brightening up. "You know how I long for my desert home. I have a copper for you for the information, and a silver waiting if you'll do me one more favor." He stood up and went to a sideboard table and took a few moments scribing an elegant invitation before it was waved to dry and sealed shut with his seal. Not that the ignorant child could read the letter of course, but simply in observance of tradition.

He handed the letter to the boy. "If you would kindly deliver this letter to the dancer if you see her in the street again. I would like to invite her here to my home, at her earliest convenience. As Councilor of the Arts it's important that I meet her acquaintance and introduce her to the theatre."

The lad took the letter and paused a moment, his hand trembling as he took it. "She.. she's going to be alright, right Sir?" He gulped. "Nothin's gonna happen to her right?"

And for a moment Berdini's face got very dark and quite serious looking, almost as if he was about to strike the boy. Instead, his lips parted in a smile. "Oh George, of course she'll be alright! You're letting your imagination run off with you. Now then, hurry along."

The urchin left, and went straight away to go try to find the dancer. Berdini however, sat back in his apartment, drank his wine and contemplated how much longer it would be worth keeping George around.
Dulcie

Return to Myrkentown