Unexpected Reinforcements

Unexpected Reinforcements

Postby CherryStatic » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:54 pm

"Well, that was pleasant."

The guards at the gate having waved them through after a lengthy process of formalities and producing papers to clarify the nature of their visit to Myrken, Castor Montelle glanced over at his companion, an androgynous half-elf who sat atop a white pony with a sullen expression partially obscured behind silken stands of platinum blonde hair. A single violet eye stared pointedly into middle-distance, ignoring the townsfolk along either side of the street who openly stared at the band of men on horseback as they entered the town.

"Something wrong, Michta?"

"A list of things, commander." the other replied softly in a slightly effeminate voice. "Should I start at the top?"

"I imagine you will whether I want you to or not." Castor said, earning himself a look. He scratched his dark goatee, feigning ignorance.

"As amusing as I find your banter, Montelle, I don't have the energy to verbally joust with you at the moment. Tracking our query has drained my reserves in every way."

The commander took a closer look at the blonde. "Are you alright? You look terrible."

"I'm flattered." Michta's hand leapt from the pommel of the saddle to his delicate collarbone in mock delight before falling listlessly against his narrow thigh. "Following the energy signatures of a designated target while moving at the brisk pace we've so obviously enjoyed over the past month tends to wreck havoc on one's looks, it's true. I hope you can find it within yourself to forgive my appearance."

"Easy, now. I only meant that you could use some sleep. In a bed."

"I admit, the thought had crossed my mind." the half-elf responded in a gentler tone laced with fatigue. "I find myself surprisingly unconcerned with the manner of lodging we might hope to acquire as long as a roof and four walls is included."

"We are traveling dignitaries, even if the only people who know at the moment are the guards. Once we properly introduce ourselves to the mayor tomorrow, we can look into getting more suitable lodging."

Michta issued a noncommittal grunt. He looked ready to fall from the pony, but his contrary nature probably kept him upright in his saddle, Castor thought. The man pulled his horse up short and called out to a woman passing by. She stopped, taking in the band of riders with a slightly apprehensive expression, shifting a hand basket carrying loaves of bread from one arm to the other.

"Pardon me, milady. Do you happen to know where we might find an inn?"

The woman's cheeks tinged at being addressed formally. "There's the Floating Dragon, sir, it's not far from here, and just South of town is the Broken Dagger, which has a stable for you horses. Dulcie, the barkeep, is a dear. She'll take good care of you gentleman." She turned her gaze to Michta, and quickly added "And you as well, miss."

Castor bit his lip as the half-elf's mouth flattened into a line and his visible eye narrowed the slightest bit. "We greatly appreciate it, ma'am." he offered, giving her a smile and a nod.

She bobbed a clumsy curtsy of sorts and hurried on her way. Castor urged his horse on, poorly disguising his laughter as a series of coughs into his fist. Behind him, the blonde said nothing, suddenly needing that bed more than he had originally thought.
CherryStatic

Return to Myrkentown