A Visit to The Floating Dragon

Re: A Visit to The Floating Dragon

Postby Rance » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:06 am

"Piss off," I said back to her, before reaching down to grab the crotch of my trousers just to show her what I thought of her assessment. Damn straight I had the bollocks. Truth was, I wanted to be sure she did. At least she took pause at the knowledge. "Did I ever say I wasn't up for the idea? No, I said nothing of the sort. And--"

I took a step forward and jabbed my finger toward Bruiser. Not close enough that the mare would be able to take a snap at me, but close enough to -- you know -- establish authority. I said to the horse:

"You can dislike my tone all you want, you tosser. They're not going to hang you."

But Ailova started mounting, and if I wanted to get away from the wharfs for a few weeks, maybe get some extra coins in my pockets, I had to make a decision right here and now. Clearly the mad bitch was still interested in pulling something over on the Lord Steward, even with the warning.

Rock and a fucking hard place.

"Alright," I said, blowing out a breath. "Look, if it's not us, then it'll be something else. Better he encounter some good-natured profiteers like ourselves rather than some other hard-nosed entrepreneur with a blade on North Passage Down, yeah? So I'm in, but only, only," I said, another pointer finger shaking at Old and Homely, "if we take precaution and don't get lost in the moment like some giddy kid with a hard-on. We do it smart," I said, "we do it fast, and we do it clean.

"I'm quite attached to my head."
Rance
Co-Founder

Postby highawaywoman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:30 pm

Ailova smiled wide as Elias grabbed his bullocks. It always worked. Hit a man where it hurts and they'll soon see sense. "Well, ye did call it crazy and suicide - If'n I remember correctly." It was hard to keep the amusement out of her voice, but this was the reaction she'd wanted.

Next to her Bruiser shifted her weight, eyeing the pointed finger with wide rolling eyes. The mare was irritated, restless from not working for over a fortnight. Ailova was surprised that there was nothing more than a tossing of her black and white mane in reply to Elias.

With her booted foot in place she was ready to ride off to find another, but his words gave her pause. Now. Finally, the man made sense. The brigand wasn't overly upset that he'd called her mad. It was a slight often issued to women who didn't choose the right path. The normal path. If'n anything it was the mildest insult one could hurl at her be-hatted head.

"Now ye be talkin' sense." She removed her left foot, giving him another considering look. "No one ever said this was a safe occupation, laddie. But. There doesn't have to be bloodshed. Or murder. Or anyone's necks being stretched. We get in. We get out. We are disguised; there is no way we can be connected." She came up closer, tipping her chin up, "Before we strike we make sure he is traveling with lesser guards. Every time I've seen the blighter, he travels lightly, barely guarded."

"As easy as picking up a doxy in the Broken Dagger."
highawaywoman

Postby Rance » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:45 pm

"You'll find the longer you associate with me," I said, "I talk a lot of sense if you squint to see through all the other horseshit."

Her ideas were capital and could become capital if executed properly. Not that I prided myself on application. Pilfering a few bottles of monksbrew from a shipment down from Foggy Bottom was hardly a score of worth. Occasionally getting someone else's hard-earned coin with some clever words and a brandished knife was a feat anybody could perform. Roadwork? A stint as a highwayman? Administering a heist deft enough to take the Lord Stewardand any accompanying men by surprise?

I mean, the fat bastard could have been stuffed with coins instead of guts, right? It was worth a shot.

Five minutes ago, I hadn't even met this woman.

Four minutes ago, I would have been willing to toss her corpse in the East Mavoiir.

A minute ago, I thought she was mad.

Now I was sure. And I hadn't even said no.

"Ride," I told her, flapping my hand at her foot to encourage its rediscovery of the stirrups. "Easy mark as he may seem, if that hearty lump of a man's stayed alive this long, it's not something to discredit. I'll stop by the Dagger, maybe rent a room--" on what coin? "--and we can observe for a few days. See when he comes and goes, when he sleeps, when his attendants are at their most vulnerable. We find a spot along the road, we plan, and we rehearse.

"And maybe," I said, dragging my hood back over my head, "I'll find one of those doxies while I'm at it."
Rance
Co-Founder

Postby highawaywoman » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:17 am

For once, Ailova followed the orders of a man. The highwaywoman easily swung herself up onto Bruiser, the mare half-reared in excitement. Finally, they were going to move!

"I'll be meetin' ye there. I've got a room; third one from the stairs." Once again, she tipped her hat to Elias. She had a feeling this one had never taken to the roads before. The hesitation that occasionally tainted his words gave her pause, but she'd seen others swallow their fears and ride on. All it took was balls, brains, and a good seat.

On horseback Ailova and her beast were a formidable pair. The horse barely seemed controllable, but Ailova did not even hold the reins. She controlled with her seat and legs, shifting weight to control the nervous Bruiser's energy.

Heavens help him if'n he can't ride.

"Rehearsal? How fun." Amusement flashed quickly across her gaunt face, but it was doubtful it could be seen in the dark from her perch atop the mare.

"Better pick a clean one! I'd hate to lose another partner to the pox!"

With that horse and rider were gone, galloping off to the bridge. Hoofbeats clattered across the wood, confirming their departure.
highawaywoman

Previous

Return to Myrkentown