Fostering the Future

Fostering the Future

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:04 am

Cherny,

I apologize for not contacting you sooner. There is no obligation between us, one way or the other. I would not demand otherwise. We've had a number of talks, one or two adventures, and I imagine those were smaller adventures then what you've experienced away from my company. I saw you as a young man with promise, one who cared for his friends, who cared about his home, one that balanced his morality with the harsh realities of Myrken Wood.

I have done you ill, if indirectly. I understand that Giuseppe, after he was infected by the Storyteller, menaced you in particular. He stabbed me in the back at the most inopportune time, and before that in the front, both times harming things that I cared deeply about, not to mention myself. Still, I let him roam, a wounded beast, for far too long before that. I paid for that mistake but others paid as well. Then there was Rhaena. If you wish me to write more on that account, I will, but you have not asked for this letter and as I said, there is no obligation, so only if you think it is something you would want or that would help you to understand and move on from the pains of that summer.

Your response to those pains is an interesting one to me. I do not understand entirely what happened, but I see that you made the best of things. No, that you took something that should have been terrible and made it into something good and helpful, though not without a cost. There's always a cost and the hardest is always what you pay yourself over time. These decisions add up. You can imagine, I think, as well as anyone, what they added up to with me.

I also apologize for my absence. I was long recovering, physically, and still not recovered in other ways. Perhaps Myrken was better off without my heavy hand pressing down upon it, perhaps not, but it what remains certain is that I have not been there as new crises have arisen. I am trying to change that now, slowly. In starting this process, I have looked at my ledger and found areas marked in red.

You are one of those and this letter is sent, more than anything else, to provide an apology, to offer what recompense you may find reasonable for my role in your ills, and to inquiry towards your well-being.

The choice of whether to reply is wholly your own and you will not be judged for it.

Glenn Burnie
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Fostering the Future

Postby Cherny » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:11 am

Ser Glenn Burnie

Thank you for your Letter. Please do not be sorry, I am sure you have had things to do even now that you are not Governor. I hope that you are better now that you do not have the wait of Office on you.

The Black Man is dead, he was a Devil, and it is good that he is gone so that he will not speak any more lies. I can not say more about him as it is a Sin to speak ill of the Dead, even for Devils. You did not make him how he was and you could not stop him being how he was.

The Lady is dead also, and though she did many Wicked Things when her madness took her I am sorry that it all happened. She was very kind to me at the School and taught me my Letters, and I choose to remember her like that and greve for her.

You were not here for the Ladys Summer so I do not know what you might say that I do not know already. I heard you speak to the Town and I do not need to hear any more lies. Sera Kasmarek was cruel and hurt many people. She took joy in hurting people because she has a bad heart whether or not she was Swained. You do not Understand what happened. You were not here.

I am angry for what the Lady did to Elliot Brown even though she made him a Knight and I became his Squire. I am angry for what she did to Sera Ariane which was Cruel and Wicked and gave her awful grefe. I am angry for what Sera Kasmarek and the Civils did to Ser Catch and to Nura and to many others. The Lady did many very bad things even though she thought she was Doing Good for Myrken because she Believed it a fair price. It was not fair for them. That is a Lesson.

I am well. I have a House for me and my Friends and we are Safe there. Sir Elliot Gahald (who was Elliot Brown but still did not find himself after the Lady was gone) is on a Quest so that he is a Knight for true, and has Charged me to do Good until he returns. I know I can not change Myrken or stop every Wicked thing that comes but I will look after my Friends. That is enough Good for me.

You do not owe me anything. I know better than expecting Help from Governors or Kings or Councilers. I know better than putting trust in Saviours. That is also a Lesson.

Cherny

I remember the Task you set upon me and have kept it Faithfully. I do not want Help or Pity.
Cherny
Founder

Return to Myrkentown