Addendum

Addendum

Postby Glenn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 am

Once upon a time (that time being around five years prior), Glenn Burnie had quite a bit of information at his fingertips. He had built up an Inquisitory which, while almost laughable by the standards of Razasan or even Thessilane, was quite advanced for a backwoods place such as Myrken Wood. Yes, he'd take on just about anyone who could read and write, but that was a damn sight better than what they had before he made the effort. In general, rumors could be explored and people could, quite often, be tracked down.

Now, though he was a man of at least modest means, he lacked such investigative tendrils. Instead, and because he had little else to spend his money on, messengers were, at times, sent far and wide in search of those he wished to deliver a message. It meant things took time if they happened at all.

Still, letters were distributed months back with the change of seasons and maybe, just maybe, one might find its way.

Descant,

As I write this letter, we sit on the other end of seven years since your unfortunate ball in Myrken. As I remember it, you flickered in and out of the province for a year or two after but were gone before things became more disastrous by far with Rhaena. I am glad if that was the case, for you would have been an easy target for her maddened magpie instincts then and there. I assume you know what happened. It is not the purpose of my missive so I will not spend any further time on it.

Know that I always found you to be forthcoming in our few dealings and even years later, I do hold lingering appreciation. Note that in almost every such statement I could add the addendum "for a bard." I imagine you know this.

I have some small need of your service, even from afar. Or, more accurately, I have some small need of a man of your talent and knowledge and you came to mind before most others, both for the ease in which I had previously spoken with you (albeit under poor circumstances) and because I thought a small commission might be due to you given the waste of your time and resources in Myrken.

I seek stories, ones not easily found in books, as it pertains to fairies and most especially fairy queens. If you remember me at all, you know that I am an inquisitive sort and I mean no harm to anyone (or, if you are so inclined, anything) in this inquiry. You may, however, guess the rest.

If willing, please respond. I would be curious how the last few years treated you as well.

With my thanks,
Glenn Burnie
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Addendum

Postby Raven » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:59 am

One such tendril would manage to eventually worm it's way to the bard in question. Despite the time and effort spent to deliver the letter, it was a rather simple gesture to sweep it from his desk into a wastebasket and promptly wipe his hands of the whole affair.

Unfortunately, curiousity was ever a vice of Descant and it would gnaw at him for a few days before he would dig the letter back out and finally give it the attention it deserved. Which is to say, he read it over, gave it a mental shrug and tossed it back into the bin.

It would be a few days before, once again, the bard would dig through and find the letter once more. Ignoring the few stains and the crumples he'd finally accept that maybe, just maybe, he could muster up the effort it would require to finally pen a reply.

It took the perfect wine choice, some strolls down memory lanes and the rubbing of temples to soothe a headache from such a venture before he'd finally put ink to paper.

Glenn,

I hope this letter finds you -

Whatever Descant had written here appears to be the victim of an unfortunate accident with a suspiciously Dali sized handprint smearing freshly inked words into obscurity. The letter, however, continues on after a few paragraphs that appear (hopefully?) to be the exchanging of pleasantries and Descant's comments on the events that occurred around the time of his last appearance in Myrkenwood.

As to your query. The subject of the Fae occurs, as you can imagine, quite a lot both in myth and reality. They are generally considered to be more of a Force of Nature than truly good or evil beings, though in my, admittedly limited, experience, they operate in a manner which I am sure you are quite accustomed to. Everything has it's price and always read the small print.

They definitely have a hierarchy of sorts but any mention of royalty quickly devolves into the realms of myth and hushed whispers. If you've somehow set yourself against, in front of or in the whereabouts of such creatures I've heard that iron and salt are harmful to them in general.

The keen observer might notice that the ink and handwriting changes from this paragraph to the next. This would be the bard pausing mid-thought and quite possibly deal with a distraction before he continues with pen and wine swapping hands.

I'm unsure about the salt thing. I think that might be for slugs, which while destructive to small plants, likely wouldn't warrant you penning me, just a bard, a letter.

I'm afraid, Glenn, that I will need to take some time to come back to you with a deeper knowledge of such things. The few things that I'd have that wouldn't be found in books are songs to scare children into behaving. The angle with which you are attacking would require some reconnaissance and time.

Please do fill me in on the gossip of Myrken. I'm sure Dali would be all ears.

Hoping you aren't enslaved by a Fae Queen,
Descant.
Raven

Re: Addendum

Postby Glenn » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:28 am

The reply would not take quite as long as one might expect. It did look a little hastily written, though written without external distraction, but that hardly explained it. The act of writing was the absolute least strenuous and time-consuming part of this exchange. Thankfully, Glenn was the sort to overexplain everything to a frustrating degree.

Descant,

I am glad to have received a reply from you. It's never a sure thing to find a bard plying his trade somewhere in this world, a specific one that is. Things should be easier now, however, that the courier has pinned down a loose location for you. Again, you may encounter that first letter another time or two as I had promulgated multiple copies. I imagine you're not worried about the expense to me of such an endeavor and that notion would be correct. I have systems in place for such things.

It come as some surprise to me to hear that Zerdali is with you. I imagine I did know this at some point but even I do not retain ever bit of information that I once knew. In actuality, I might suspect a hole in my knowledge the size of her @heart is somewhat reassuring. It means that even though I have located you, I certainly haven't been keeping tabs. Know that I sent her a few letters as well, for related reasons you might imagine. If they do not reach her, you may pass along the notion that these were primarily an apology.

As for the rest, no, I am not enslaved by a Fae Queen. I've not traded away any future first-borns (though I think she'd be willing to accept one). In truth, my biggest difficulty is to remember that she is not human, which is similar, but not the same, to my old problem of trying to conform magical beings to the norms and standards of human culture. This is less of that and more of a more internal failing, blindness perhaps. The other bit, as she is quick to inform me, is a need to be useful that almost certainly stems from too long in exile. I have a profession here, one of no little difficulty, but it's not the same.

I'm not sure what gossip there is to tell about Myrken, due to said exile. Part of my intention in going away was not to meddle from afar. I think it has been mostly quiet, a lull before whatever storm shall hit next. I do plan on returning within a few months and will be more than glad to supply gossip at that point. Despite my best efforts, I'll likely be making it.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to Other