Letters Home

Letters Home

Postby catch » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:19 pm

To Baronnette Jahvan-Flagg von d'Amortesan of Razasan, my Lord Father, Greetings.

We have settled as planned upon the lands skirting Myrkentown. There has been little enough complaint or interference from the local government. They have accepted the papers that were prepared by my esteemed Lord Brother with nary a glance, though I have assured them it is all proper and in order. Our unfortunate cousin is hardly remembered here. What is remembered is what Grandfather has always told us, if you are interested to know. It seems he was a drunkard and a recluse until the Troubles began, though I will write that he died rather more nobly than expected or foretold.

For our own records, Lord Father, please note that he did not slip his mount and break his neck during a hunt. He did so while attempting to protect the town from Horrid Undead.

Importantly, Lord Father, we are here in safety and well-prepared against the cold, in addition to the Items you have shipped by river. These items are much appreciated, as Late Autumn is a horrible time to travel.

It is wished

I understand the haste with which this enterprise was undertaken.

The natives are rightfully suspicious, if Lord Mayor Glenn Burnie's tales are to be believed. You have had more correspondence with the man than I. When I spoke to him at Lady Abernathe's soiree, the man was surprisingly mute about the province when in all other respects - and by gossip - he is rather garrulous. The natives do not take kindly to Lords or Ladies of any sort, and I have found some dealings to be rather difficult. There is no outward aggression, Lord Father, but an undercurrent of surly dislike that makes things a little unpleasant.

Any additional information that you or my Lord Brother may be able to unearth would be appreciated, and may make things with the natives go more smoothly.

In your Regards, your Son,

Lord-in-Absentia Navarre-Hala von d'Amortisan of Myrken Wood

To my Sister, Lady Teliveve-Janette von d'Amortisan of Razasan,

Telly, you would not believe this place! There is hardly a building more than three stories tall, unless one counts Darkenhold, and I have yet to see more of it than a quick glimpse whilst riding the hold. It is all Wild Wood, which I imagine is simply a-burst with greenery and flowers when the weather permits. It is a little dull right now, dear Sister, so even if you could threaten Nanny with a visit, I'd not have much to show you. I hear that there is a Unicorn that dwells in the Wood, and I could believe it. It is far, far different from the Family's well-manicured Summer Holdings.

My Very First night here I came face-to-face with something that I suspect is a Changeling, or even a half-beast. She (I believe) had eyes like a cat, reflecting and split with thin pupils down the middle. She was covered in blood and rambling nonsense, yet there was something about me that seemed to repel her - some realization. Or perhaps it was Aurelius. Oh, Sister, if you could have seen how Very Brave he was! I believe it was his noble, no-nonsense bearing that sent her scuttling away with the bravest Woof.

Since then I have even seen Elves, and there is supposedly an entire Settlement of Ogres and Beast-folk. And it is rumored there is a Very Tiny Dragon who flits about upon occasion. I have this on Very Good Authority. It has been recommended that one sets fruit and gold out to attract it. We shall have to do so in the Springtime when you visit.

Please keep our letters very secret, Dear Heart. Nanny or Father may not appreciate the sorts of tales I may have to tell you. Father may not let you visit if you pester him about them. Or The Incident. That is over and done with.

Lovingly yours,

Navvy
catch

Re: Letters Home

Postby Niabh » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:09 pm

To My Dearest Brother Navarre,

I was very Glad to receve recieve get your Letter. Oh, it is Not Fair! You have been so Ill-Treated and Father was Very Unreasonible and Crool to send you away. Know that I am ever on your Side and will Stand Up for you For-Ever. For your Sake I told Father that I would not eat until he Relinted and brought you back again but he threatened to call the Doctor to Bleed me. I wish I could more Corageous but you know how the Sight of Blood makes me so very Ill. But now that you have written I feel better knowing you are Safe even if you are out in the Wilderness at the Edge of Nowhere.

I am very Happy you are having Adventures but please do not get yourself in Trouble with all the wild Beests and the Elfs and that. I do not want you to get Eaten or Enchanted. Be sure to keep your Sword at hand always. Are there really Unicorns? My Bestiary says that they only come to Maidens. When I come in Spring can we do an Experiment? I will be the Maiden and we can lure one out. I do not think I would like Dragons but if it is a Very Tiny One it would be alright. We can use the Gold Bracelet I enherited when Auntie Enid died, the uglie one. Please tell me if you see any other Strange Sights but as I say do not get too Near without your Sword.

It has been ever so Lonly without you here. There is No One to mess around with in the Mornings anymore except for Anthea who thinks she's too grown up for it now that she has been Brought Out. She is Useless. Nannie is keeping well. Dimity sleeps now at the Foot of My Bed though her Roomatisom Rumatisim Rumatism is treating her Poorly with all this Rain, so I must carry her up and down the stairs. Your Friend Benji has come round 5 times enquireing asking after you but Father says I am not to tell anyone where you have gone. (I told him anyway).

I am sorry for all the crossing-outs but I could not let Nannie correct my Spelling as we are being secretif. I will hide all your Letters in my Secret Drawer and I will keep you Abreast of all the goings-on here at Home. Please take care of yourself and write agane soon to tell me all your Adventures. Give Aurelius a Pat from Me.

With Love,
FROM YOUR SISTER,
Vivi
Anything can be magic if you're gullible enough.
Niabh

Return to Other