A Tisket, A Tasket

A Tisket, A Tasket

Postby Niabh » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Niabh's entire philosophy behind seeking employment as a lady's maid had been twofold. For one, she had certainly seen what maidservants did, and it did not seem beyond reason for a quick-witted novice to catch on in a very few days. A little sewing, a little dusting, delivering notes, making up beds...anyone could do that, and Niabh prided herself on being a quick study. None of it was half as strenuous as most of her duties back home, and all of it was much safer. It was indoor work, for one. There might even be another maidservant to befriend and gossip with--all the maids back home seemed to be boon companions--and a pleasant mistress from whom she could learn close up how to model her own behavior and dress.

The other thing was Mother had been quite insistent that, unless circumstances were extremely dire, she should not become a prostitute. Tultharian men, Mother said, were riddled with diseases of the kind that had never even been heard of on the islands, things that could do a woman grave damage, and Niabh would want children someday. Best not to take the risk. "Not unless you're starving, sweetness," she'd warned, her beautiful blue-grey eyes grave and full of worry. "And even then, you have two hands; you can steal."

Now, as she undid the sleeves of Patience's rose silk gown for yet a third time, sighed loudly, and tried to figure out how to get all the tucks going in the same direction and still keep the ribbons from bunching up, she thought grimly that she might have been better off going for prostitution after all. That line of work seemed a little less exacting. And the prospect of indoor work was a little less comforting and more confining than she expected. She glanced out the window at the daylight she was missing, and sighed again before bending her head back to work.

She only hoped Patience didn't need this gown before tomorrow. At the rate she was going, it would take her that long just to work her way around one sleeve.
Anything can be magic if you're gullible enough.
Niabh

Re: A Tisket, A Tasket

Postby highawaywoman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 am

"Silk is the worst fabric to work with. It tears, bunches; becomes a veritable devil to work with." The measured tones of Lady Patience Tirel announced her arrival before it was made visual.

A slender manicured hand went to finger the edge of the sleeve that Niabh worked industriously upon, "You work so hard, sweet Niabh. I must thank you again. Without you, my dream-walking would be worse. Boredom would claim me and I would linger more often in the dream-world than the waking."

"Have you seen him? Murrukh? I have not seen him in over a fortnight. I miss him so."

Foolishly she had spoken of the half-orc, but such should not be done. The bouncer was still in love with her sister - who had long since departed the kingdom and had gone home to the family manor.

"Do you know of my sister Mercy? It is she who claims his heart. Claims it ina way I never shall. She is smart, beautiful, strong. And I am addled with the sleep-sickness, foolish, and young."

The idle hand that had been stroking the soft fabric dropped to Niabh's working hand, "Again. I thank you. You have been a blessing. I do hope you are happy here and working as you do. I would be most troubled to find you are unhappy. Do you want for anything? Mayhap, more time for your own pleasures?"
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:12 pm

Niabh took the opportunity for talk as a chance to lay aside the fine silk before she did it any further insult. "I've not seen him either, I'm afraid. It's a shame, really. He always asks after you." A small, playful smile crossed her face. "I'm just this side of telling him to ask you himself." It was not quite a joke; she had to bite her tongue every time the half-orc made his delicate inquiries.

Bowing her head, she began to spin the pale pink thread back onto its spool. "You've spoke of your lady sister before, though not much. I don't believe you've ever mentioned that Murrukh was so fond of her." Still smiling, she patted Patience's hand atop her own and blushed with the pleasure of her notice. "Take heart, mistress," she said kindly. "Men rarely see what's right before their eyes. Perhaps he'll come around."

Perhaps he would come around sooner if you'd say something, she thought in tones far less kindly than her words. But it seemed that was not the done thing here--at least not amongst ladies of Patience's stature. How frustrating to be a tultharian lady, and not be able to speak one's own mind, or even so much as express a preference! To have to sit around and wait! Niabh, currently no stranger herself to sitting around waiting, bubbled over with impatience on both their behalves. Poor Patience might be held hostage by good breeding and propriety...but Murrukh hardly had that excuse. The bone needle stabbed into the spool with a little more vehemence than was necessary.

She shook her head again, her smile growing a fraction sad. "Ah, no. I'm very happy to work with you, and I'm always pleased for your company. It's more..." She glanced toward the bright window again. "Autumn's almost here. Soon it will be winter. That's the time when everyone gathers and visits, where I'm from. But it looks as if I'm going to miss it this year."

But that was a little too honest, a little too close to the heart, for the role she had chosen to play. A pall of sadness crept like a shadow up her back. With an effort, she shrugged it away, plucked herself up, and set about carefully replacing the silver pins in the sleeves, while adding brightly, "But there's nothing to be done about that. I was just hoping there would be a few more good bright days before the cold weather sets in. We could go on an outing, or have a luncheon out-of-doors." Her dark, mischievous eyes slid to one side, all too innocent. "We could even invite Murrukh."
Niabh

Postby highawaywoman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:50 pm

Bright blue eyes glanced down to the smaller hand that patted her own, "I love him, you know? My sister, Mercy? He loved her. Completely. Unabashedly. To him? I am a pale facsimile." A sigh was let loose, mixed with regret. It would have been easier to marry the older lord her parents had promised her to - far easier than running to this exotic place and idling in these small apartments.

"He does not love me. Not in the same way. He worries over me, assuredly. But, only because of his affections for Mercy." Fingers squeezed, "Therein lies the problem, you see? For I remind him of her - but he? My heart wants him."

The lady's companion who was not entirely schooled in missish ways interested Patience. "You are new to this work. It shows in your stitches and questions. However, I do not care. You are kindness itself, Niabh. I am appreciative. So fierce and strong you be."

The glass of wine was set to the side with Niabh's suggestion.

"Have a picnic with him!? Oh, I doubt he will be glad for such a suggestion. However. I have an idea. A wicked one. Do you wish to hear it?"

The young lady quieted and sipped wine as her companion spoke about the oncoming onslaught of winter. Winter. She would be here through it - hopefully, snagging the half-orcs attentions away from bottle and sadness.

"Do you wish to send for your family? You can, at my expense. I will be happy to reunite them with you."
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:18 pm

She bit her lip, her eyes brightening at the very prospect. If only it was as easy as saying aye and letting this kind lady do her the favor. Meg and Acorn back for the winter, Brammie too if he wasn't at the far end of the world with Grandmother already, all of them. Meg would adore Patience--Meg adored everyone--and Patience would probably adore the baby, and then maybe she could explain everything to everyone and it would all come out right.

Hope waned as soon as it came. If it was something gold could buy, she would have already hocked her stashed ransom and bought them passage. But this country was not a good place for their kind. She'd already learned that much herself.

"You're very kind," she said, intent on keeping her voice steady, "but Mother was set on staying behind when she sent me out. It's not so much a matter of means as duty."

Carefully, so that the silk would not crush, she set aside the mending and leaned forward eagerly, her hands propped on her knees. "An idea? Tell me." Actually she was just as interested in what Patience considered 'wicked' as she was in whatever the idea might be.
Niabh

Postby highawaywoman » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:44 pm

"If you insist. However, should you decide you'd like to visit them? I'd be happy to help with the expense of your trip. One should never be separated from family, unless they wish to be." Especially, if that family was trying to force an unwanted marriage on one to a man old enough to be her grandfather. Or worse; forcing one to be bled and examined by quack physicians due to their waking-dreams.

Idly, the youngest Tirel eyed her erstwhile companion. What had driven the lovely little Niabh away from home? The romantic side of Patience hoped dearly that it was due to unrequited love.

"An idea? Tell me."

"Oh, well, it's very silly and indeed I could never do such a thing. Ladies do not lie."

A faint flush heightened her color as she leaned forward and dropped her voice to a whisper. Even though they were alone in her room, she dared not speak too loudly of her plan.

"I want to tell Murrukh of my regard for him. However, I can not do such while awake. 'Tis not lady-like and worse? I could not bear it if he rejected me. But," She cleared her throat, finding the courage to go on within her wineglass, "I could pretend to be dream-walking and then tell him. And I would know his reply."

Abruptly, Patience straightened, almost shocked that she'd let spill the wicked idea that'd been flying through her mind for over a week.

"As I said, I would never do such a thing. Dishonesty is for the lesser people. Still, it would be diverting, no?"
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:54 am

The plan, once stated, was actually so obvious and without visible flaws that Niabh, impressed, rocked back in her chair, her eyebrows shooting to the middle of her forehead. Well! Served her right for underestimating the lady's capacity for subterfuge. "Could you pull it off?" she asked eagerly. "Do you think he would believe it? I could help, I've seen you walking, I could tell you everything..."

She let her excited tone trail away. Her finger tapped the bow of her lips as she pretended to consider the moral implications. Actually she was thinking that all this while, Patience's scheming had been aligned with her own, and they could have saved each other time and grief if only they could have plotted together like a pair of proper girls. In Niabh's experience, scheming to catch a boy's eye was hardly lying at all, but something more akin to drawing up a battle plan. She'd even sat up late with her own mother, whispering and giggling, back when Mother was still courting what would soon be her second husband, and that had turned out happily enough.

Nice people deserved to have nice things--even if they didn't know they wanted them yet. And Patience and Murrukh were two of the nicest people she'd met in this part of the world. They just needed a wee push, that was all.

Finally she let out a long sigh, her shoulders sinking. "Ah, no, no, you're absolutely right. It would be...well, perhaps not wicked dishonest, but certainly deceptive. Unless you confessed to him right after, mayhaps."

As if that settled the matter, she unfolded herself from her footstool and began to return the sewing things to their basket...only to have her hand pause a moment over the contents. "Oh, I nearly forgot. I made you a present."
Niabh

Postby highawaywoman » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:42 am

The idea of deceiving Murrukh was one that unsettled the younger Tirel girl. Painfully honest to a fault - she always spoke the truth. Even when she was young chit in the schoolroom and confessed to snatching a few sweets, or not stitching her samplers. However, it was the perfect way to tell him of her feelings, ones that she'd never reveal willingly awake.

"With your help? I believe I could! It's just a matter of knowing how I speak while I am asleep. I am well aware of my state of undress during such times - which may be the hardest part of this scheme!" Indeed! The idea of being deceitful was less upsetting than being scantily clad in her lace-trimmed shift in the common room.

"I will confess to him afterwards. Mayhap, not immediately. However, I will tell him the truth. I only hope he won't be furious with me!" Nervous fingers went to flick at some imaginary speck of dust on her silken-clad lap. It was a scarce number of times that she'd seen the bruising half-orc angered, but it was possible. He was capable of ire - but towards her?

Niabh's words broke through her reverie, bringing her back to the present.

"A gift? For me? Oh, how lovely! You should not have, though!" Still, pleasure splashed across her youthful features. What a treat! It had been ages, since she'd left home that she had received a gift! Anxiously, her bright-blue eyes followed the rustling movements of Niabh's busy hands.
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:23 am

Niabh couldn't help but smile. "Mistress, you in your shift is fetching enough to rival any lady alive dressed in her finest. Don't think of it as being immodest. It's like...being in a play. Not really you, just a part you're acting out, and none to judge you for it because everyone knows it's not real." This was something Niabh herself was utterly comfortable about; she'd been familiar with the notion before she was old enough to speak. "As for your manner, you are mostly yourself when you walk, I'd say. You seem very much awake, just as we two are speaking here, and I don't believe you've ever done aught that would not befit a lady, except...perhaps you're a little more easy in your manner? Say and do whatever comes into your head and never have a moment's doubt, even if it doesn't make sense. And if you find you've talked yourself into a corner, change the subject. Dreams are always shifting about."

From the basket, the girl produced a little purple-and-green object, which she smoothed between her fingers before presenting it, almost shyly, to Patience. Up close it turned out to be a little flower--a pansy--made of scraps of the dusty-violet velvet left over from trimming Patience's heavy winter cloak. Its stem was composed of a few strands of straw soaked overnight so that they could be sculpted into a natural curve, then stitched together and wound with a dark green ribbon. Hung like a pale, trembling dewdrop in the heart of the flower was a pearlescent glass bead. It even had a scent: not strong and earthy like a pansy, but sweet and delicate and delectable--strawberry and white peach and tenderest tea-rose. The flower itself was sweetly made, though clearly artificial, but that scent...it did not seem always to be there, but when it was, it was as if one could go on sniffing it forever, savoring it as the tongue savors taste.

A faint blush came to the girl's cheeks. "It's not much. Just a good luck charm, to make up for some of the trouble I've been. You've been very tolerant of me, even when I've been clumsy and ill-tempered and...well, if anyone deserves a bit of good fortune, it's you."
Niabh

Postby highawaywoman » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:34 am

One thing that Patience could not deny, was her maidservant's ability to make this rather scandalous mission seem lighthearted and playful. Redness flared up her face, but she ignored the heat. The idea of being able to muster up the gumption to plan such an escapade, let alone put it into action was exciting. Thrilling!

The gift was produced for the young lady's perusal and she fairy squealed at the beauty and delicate intricacy that made up the flower. It was as dainty as a real one. It must have taken sweet Niabh hours to complete the piece of artistry!

"Oh, Niabh! It's lovely! How long did this take you? Oh dear, you shouldn't have gone to such trouble for me!" She brought the silken flower up to her nose, inhaling deeply, "Oh my! It even smells like a real flower! How on earths did you accomplish such a feat!?"

True pleasure at the gift had lightened the young Tirel's features. It was a darling token. One that she treasured, mainly because the giver was persuaded to gift her this - for friendship and that alone.

"I am very thankful that you came into my life, Niabh. It had been lonely after, well, after certain things came to pass." Here, she paused, to run loving fingers over the soft petals, "But you have became a balm to my restless spirit."

Suddenly, Patience stood and fled to the mirror, holding the flower above her right ear. "I shall wear this on the night I plan to attempt dream-walking while awake." She looked into the looking glass where her beloved companion was reflected, "For good luck!"
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 pm

ay Such was Niabh's nature that she could appreciate, both at once, the genuine warm delight of seeing Patience's pleasure in a small gift and the cold self-satisfied click of a plan falling neatly into place. Both emotions were entirely separate and did not touch on one another. She merely burst out laughing. "If you wear it to meet him, then I doubly hope it works! Both for your intentions, and for you getting away with it." She looked a trifle too coy. "Of course, if it works well for the first, you might need not worry about the second."

The girl sank back down to her footstool, smoothing her skirts back over her knees as she admired her mistress. Patience was always pretty, and she was always pleasant, but the prospect of mischief seemed to bring out a special glow about her. "How do you know him?" she asked softly. "If it is not too bold of me to ask, I mean. I've been curious, but the two of you have that air of people who've known one another for ages."
Niabh

Postby highawaywoman » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:10 pm

A hearty laugh came from Patience, as she surveyed her companion in the looking-glass. There had been whispers from the serving girls below-stairs that Niabh didn't quite act as a lady's maid and companion should, but the young Tirel had brushed aside the gossip as she would a bothersome fly.

Niabh had become a true friend and a trusted cohort. In a time where Patience had lived in seclusion - the young woman had opened her up to more pleasure which the lady had missed tremendously!

"How do you know him?"

A lump had formed in her throat, but a quick swallow of wine helped to force it down to the depths of her belly.

"He was my sister's beau. He loved her, mayhap loves her still. But, she spurned him." Slowly, Patience turned and sat next to Niabh and patted her friend's hand, "It was for foolish reasons. He was only being a male-type, you understand? Well, Mercy is not as forgiving as her name would suggest."

A guilty stab of conscious split her heart in two halves.

"I have loved him from the first moment I met him. He is patient. Understanding, forgiving, kindness and strength all combined into one amazing person. Silly of me, though. At first my attraction was one of romantical nonsense. Too many novels, my father would say. But you see; as time has worn on, I have come to know him better and it is less nonsense and more of a desire to just be near him."

Slender shoulders rose upward and downward in a theatrical shrug, "But it was Mercy he loved, not I. And I fear I remind him of her, so it is most likely ill-fated that he will not succumb to my flirtations."

Despite this very feminine display of dramatic emotions, Patience winked at Niabh, "Can't blame a lady for trying, no?"
highawaywoman

Postby Niabh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:38 pm

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained," the girl agreed amiably, while at the same time privately wondering if she shouldn't slip a glam atop everything else, just to sweeten the pot. At once she dismissed the idea: too fragile, too risky. The gods knew she herself went in terror of brushing loose nails, and she knew what she was doing. Besides, if any creature in the Myrken could be said to have a natural glamour, it was the lady Tirel. She'd seen it at work too often not to be sure of it. If she was a little bolder, she'd start asking after the woman's bloodlines, because honestly, how else did one get that hair?

Still, if she'd known beforehand that Murrukh might still be rapt with another lady, she might have made the enchantment stronger, just to be certain that his head was well and truly turned, but down that path lay danger--both of getting herself caught and of getting the lady assaulted, and Niabh really didn't relish either idea. Just a small fascination, a tiny little glam to loosen the man's affections. Loosening the lady's thighs, on the other hand, might take a whole lot more talent than she possessed.

She patted the lady's hand in return. "You're a well-grown woman now, not a girl, and perfectly capable of making up your own mind. And if he's so caught up on a lady who's spurned him...why, that's his folly, not yours. Stake your claim, lady. Be bold."
Niabh

Return to The Tavern