Facing the Past and Present

Re: Facing the Past and Present

Postby Antichthon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:07 pm

The glance at the door wasn't missed, and the hand on Ailova's shoulder clenched into a fist, but only for a moment. Phor closed her eyes and held the hug for as long as Ailova would allow.

Half a minute. A long hug, brought to an end by a question. Phor's eyes snapped open, and she studied Ailova's face. "No," she said, opaque. "I'm better now."
Antichthon

Postby highawaywoman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Green eyes met a paler shade of green as Phor looked her squarely in the face. "I'm better now." The brigand had never been much of a gambler. The yearn to roll the bones had skipped her - not that she didn't have her own costly vices. However, that didn't mean that she didn't have a good sense for 'tells'. In fact, it was that sense that kept her alive long enough to pass thirty summers and a few more after.

"Good. Glad 'o 'ear i'. Bu', if'n ye feel the need? Ye mustnae suppress i', or hoide i' froom me or Gloria." Rats had worked in the past, but it barely scratched the surface of Phor's need. The thirst. Drink was Ailova's first demon, the strongest among the score she'd collected. Phor's thirst had been for murder, blood, pain. It was as easily sated with blood as Ailova's was with a bottle. The bandit knew how impossible it was for her to set aside her bottle - it had to be equally hard for Phor.

Instead of pressing the matter, the highwaywoman rose from the lumpy straw mattress and gave the horned-girl a genuine smile.

"I'll coome visi' again sooon. Ye star' work in the mornin'. Till then, Phor."
highawaywoman

Postby Antichthon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Ye mustnae suppress i', or hoide i' froom me or Gloria. Phor worked her jaw, wanting to say something, but thinking better of it. "Yeah," she said. Her defenses had come up and the moment of affection was gone.

When Ailova made to leave Phor was chipper again, smiling a very formulaic smile. "Thank you so much for the presents, Ailova!" She put the clothes away in her corner of the room. The cheer in her voice and the bounce in her step was identical to the "happy beggar girl" persona she'd worn when she'd first arrived in Myrkentown.

She skipped over to give Ailova another hug before she left. "I'll be up at dawn, I promise. And I'll do my work right this time, you'll see."

Once Ailova was gone Phor sat on the edge of the bed, wearing the same smile, while clenching the sheets with a white-knuckled grip.
Antichthon

Previous

Return to The Tavern