The Whole Reason He's Here.

The Whole Reason He's Here.

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:49 am

With a night's rest and a clean set of clothes on him, Chandler cut a much more impressive figure. His posture reflected a knowledge of his immaculate presentation. His nose nearly grazed beams in the ceiling, he stuck it up so far.

Now that he could identify Lord Treadwell, the newcomer was certain he could make a better impression this time around. He arrived in the tavern early (without his now somewhat famous wooden box) and set aside two chairs in the corner nearest the fire for himself and Treadwell. Regarding his handiwork, he considered the size of the man whom he was intending to accommodate, and instead dragged a chair next to the sofa.

He clasped his hands behind his back and regarded the fire, rehearsing his speech to the Lord in his head.
Nikolaide

Re: The Whole Reason He's Here.

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 am

Chandler does not have to wait long. Arriving early means that the Lord Steward is not quite in the main room yet; instead, the drowsy fellow, still wearing the same too snug black suit and hat, comes bumbling down the steps from his room, rubbing at his eyes after pausing a moment to stop on the stairs just to do so. After a few moments, once away from the stairs, Treadwell manages a weary wave the younger man's way, but otherwise seems to ignore him for the moment, making instead straight for the kitchen. He is one of the few patrons who ever dares to walk straight in and simply make demands directly to the cooks for his bountiful meals. Soon enough, though, the Lord Steward comes toddling over with his cane's support, eventually to sink huffily into the great, red couch.

"Well, sir! You, hrm hrm, were wanting to speak to me about something last night, yes yes? If you don't mind talking business over my breakfast, mmph, well, here I am! Some business about banks and money and the like, was it?" Beady eyes squint through those heavy, thick spectacles, studying Chandler's blurry face as well as they can despite their natural wetness and weakness.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:08 am

The telltale squeaking of the stairs prompted Chandler to turn and await Treadwell's descent. He managed a more convincing poker face this second time around, solemnly nodding in reply to Lord Corpulence's ridiculous wave, which did indeed test his practiced composure.

He stood patiently as he watched the other man divert away and continued to stand as the other man sat himself down without so much as a hand shake by means of introduction. No sense in expecting any semblance of manners this far from the city, he supposed.

"We may speak at whatever time is most convenient to you, of course," Chandler intoned through slightly gritted teeth, "I am most appreciative of your agreeing to meet with me this morning. I am afraid my travelling plans have been... compromised. It is with utmost urgency that I must complete my task for my patron, whom you may know."

Chandler smiled a little, proudly.

"I am certain you are familiar with the Mint?"
Nikolaide

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:20 am

"That, hm hm, depends on just who your patron is, sir. Do tell me that much? And what of this Mint? If you're talking about coins coming out of Razasan, mmph, well, they have quite a way to go before they land in pockets here, hm hm. Enough smaller towns deal in local currencies to supplement themselves, hrm, when shillings and sovereigns won't make the rounds this far."

A wriggle of rump and legs sees the old man a little more comfortably positioned. His eyes flit to the kitchen door--breakfast will be here soon, he hopes, as his gurgling stomach inquires of its absence.

"And, well, you might as well sit and rest a while. It takes time for food to cook, mmph, and you ought to tell me a bit more of what and whom brought you here, eh? I am Aloisius Treadwell, Lord Steward of Myrken Wood, mmph. I handle government matters in something of a mayor's capacity locally, hm hm, oversee the collection of taxes from folks, and, well, own the best toy shop in town, hee hee. Tell me a bit more of your own affairs, eh?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:56 pm

He shook his head and held his hand out to decline the invitation to sit. The moment to name drop had finally arrived and he needed to be on his feet for it. He took a deep breath. "My patron," Chandler explained, barely concealing his joy at the oncoming revelation, "My father," he emphasized, "Is none other than Elias Manning. The Elias Manning; overseer of production and logistics at the Mint of Razasan. The very same man," and at this moment, Chandler produced a single shilling from his waistcoat pocket, "who gave this lump of metal purpose." He turned the coin over once, watching it shine, "A life, perhaps."

Breaking from his reverie, he moved his gaze back to Treadwell's watery eyes, searching for a sign of recognition.

"That would make me his son, Chandler Manning, sir, and I have been travelling on my Father's behalf for many months now to support the surrounding settlements and help-" he searched briefly for the right word, tucking the coin away again, "townsfolk adopt and make better use of the strongest currency at their disposal.

"So tell me, Lord Treadwell," he said, placing both hands on the chair beside the sofa and leaning in toward the older man, "Does this town have a Bank?"
Nikolaide

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:18 pm

"No, sir. We don't have such." Treadwell snorts and snuffs, his face brightening as breakfast arrives: a platter heaped high with all manner of edible foodstuffs and a couple mugs of milk. "And we're fairly small, mmph, compared to bigger cities from other areas, despite being the largest here in Myrken Wood. Now, with that said, mmph mmph, while we might not be able to use your services heading a bank, hrm, have you any experience dealing with taxes and the collecting and counting thereof, hm hm?"

Treadwell grins, wide and merry, before reaching for fork and stabbing into a hunk of ham, scooping it from the plate to his mouth for the munching. His eyebrows, white and floofy, raise in question as he chomps away at the first morsel of his breakfast, shlurping the slab of meat up between his lips and into his bulging cheeks.
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 pm

As Lord Treadwell's face lit at the sight of food, so too did Chandler's at the mention of such momentous opportunity. The gears were spinning quickly in Chandler's conspiring little mind. He might actually turn this around. Maybe that inheritance wasn't entirely lost after all...

He sat down now, his speech delivered, and leaned both elbows on his knees. "Lord Treadwell, you must allow me to purchase property in town," he didn't quite ask, "I would establish a vault - a bank! of course - but also a vault in which to store and move coin on its way to neighboring villages. Think of the commerce, of the prosperity!"

Clearing his throat, Chandler spread his hands out, palms down, to indicate he was calming himself, though his eyes still glittered fiercely with the fire of entrepreneurship. "I have managed debt collection before, so I do have experience with something of the tax-collection sort," he acquiesced, visions of hired brutes and bruised kneecaps crossing his mind briefly, "but I have left that business to continue the work of my Father. Truly, Lord Treadwell, this is an opportunity for you and for your town that should not be missed."
Nikolaide

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:36 pm

Eyebrows scrunch a little lower at this excitement. After a moment to swallow a mouthful of meat, he continues in that aged squeak.

"And did your father specifically, mmph, send you here to Myrkentown, or is this merely the first place that you happened to think suitable, hm hm?"

And now, on from ham to cheese.

"You are a long way from Razasan, young man, a very long way, mmph. What assurances have you of your name and family? What manner of proof have you, hm hm? I know about possible swindles, mmph, as I have done enough of 'em in my time, dear boy. I would wager your father and I are, mmmm, possibly near the same age, perhaps, and I should think he has seen enough of the same."
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Chandler flinched as if struck. He frowned, some of his previous excitement draining from his face to allow his brow to crease again. "You betray the distance between this town and Razasan simply by your inability to note the resemblance," came the retort, bitterness barely concealed. "If I may be perfectly frank, Lord Treadwell, Myrkentown was not my intended destination. Not by a long measure. However, and I am certain a man of your advanced years may appreciate-" He indicated Treadwell's advanced age by gesturing vaguely in his general direction, "-a man cannot help but spot a profitable endeavor. I am one of those men who choose to act when I see a business opportunity." He sat up straight again. "I brought no proof because I was set to meet a customer of my father's. A merchant who may begin an overseas transport for our currencies.

"But I must ask just the same, what need do you have for any proof?" Chandler was beginning to lose his composure. His tone turned just the slightest bit snippy. "A businessman offers you money to purchase a plot on which to bring trade to your town and you demand proof of his lineage? It is small wonder this town is so poor, if that is how you treat the potential for commerce."
Nikolaide

Postby Treadwell » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:03 pm

"Calm yourself, young man."

A simple request, soft and stern.

"Think as if you sat where I do, hm? A young fellow comes into town, practically begging a place to set up shop, mmph, as a money lender. He claims direct line from a fellow who heads an important post, hrm hrm, in Razasan. Now, I can set you a place to work, mmph, as store fronts and buildings and land all fall under my bailiwick, but I must assure myself, or you must do it for me, hrm, that you mean well for the folks of Myrkentown."

Waggle of fork the young man's direction.

"So, tell me, if you please, what went wrong that you're not able to meet this acquaintance of your father about this same business, hm hm? I wish to hear all of this, and then we can talk about a location and the rules about setting everything in place."
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:15 pm

There was something of a twitch above Chandler's lip. He clenched his jaw, attempting to contain it.

"You have ham bits on your nose," he managed through clenched teeth, then, scowling, he continued.

"If you must know, I was deposited here against my will by a coachman who, once I post the letter I wrote this morning before our meeting, will never take another passenger again. Not if he finds it acceptable to strand paying customers in towns they've never heard of." The younger man rolled his eyes. "And that is all I wish to say of the matter. The circumstance is an enormous inconvenience and means I will likely miss the meeting with our potential business partner before he takes to port. So, I am hoping to rectify the situation. And I see a solution that would benefit me as well as this poor, lifeless place."

He glared at the older man's grease-covered face, wondering just what he did to deserve this.

"I am offering to invest my funds - my father's funds - in the betterment of this town. I will employ your masons, locksmiths, and constabulary during its construction. I will pad its coffers with money and trade over land and sea. And in return, all I ask, is the space in which to do so."
Nikolaide

Postby Treadwell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:36 am

Ham bits.

The pieces of meat are brushed aside, falling free somewhere else--possibly to Treadwell's plate.

"You must understand a few things, young man. Just a little over two years ago, mmph, a woman in town bewitched a great many people here, selling them all on the notion of rich living and fanciful balls, mmph, and money wasted on extravagance. After her passing, hm, there was something of a revolt; a great many of the folks who were rich to begin with, and a great many who weren't but who ended up gaining wealth at the expense of others, hm hm, in short time, were punished or dealt with or, mmph, killed. That was a most dreadful summer."

Down goes a bite of eggs.

"To that end, there are few remaining who might even need or use such a location. Most in this town, mmph, are farmers or simple trades folks--hardly able to swim in seas of coin, hm hm, or to have need of a place to hold excess for the future. Myrkentown is a big fish in a small pond of a province, mmph, but it is hardly a great city like Razasan or Ricathair or my native Westenford, mmph. We are too far inland to be useful for exports, and most would rather go around, mmph, than through Myrken Wood."

Fork waggles about briefly, poking toward the man.

"Lastly, again, with no assurances of identity or of the money you claim to have, I simply cannot allow this to occur. We can find you some other means of work, mmph, if you wish, fitting your abilities and skills. I might have use of you at the meetinghouse in some capacity, for instance, hrm hrm, or around the town. But a bank, hm hm?"

Shoulders shrug; head shakes gently left to right and back.

"If you need transport to where you were to meet your father's partner, assuming it is not too far distant, hrm, I can see that arranged, with a messenger sent ahead, perhaps, mmph, if you feel you can make haste enough to manage this plan yet, mmph mmph. Otherwise, you might as well fetch yourself some breakfast, sit yourself down, and talk with me about other ways, hm hm, that we can make use of you here."

Treadwell smirks, then grins great and wide.

"You haven't any need to fear that I shall tell your father, hm hm, of this, hee hee, change in schedule."
Treadwell

Postby Nikolaide » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Chandler couldn't help but snort. "You, sir, are making a terrible mistake," he said, though he sounded more like a petulant child than a convincing businessman. He slumped in his seat, the wind gone from his sails. "I understand the... class... of townsfolk here might be easily swindled and though you may be too cautious, I can appreciate that you, at least, are here to protect them from themselves."

He scratched thoughtfully at his stubbly cheek. He needed a shave. Maybe that was the problem - no one wants a business venture with an unkempt face.

"I would appreciate the arrangement of travel accommodations very much. I only need to go half a day's ride further, perhaps less if the roads are cleared of snow somewhat," he considered, then nodded, "A messenger before the carriage is a service I would gladly purchase. If it wouldn't be too much trouble, I would be grateful if you could see me to the correct avenue," he waved his hand toward the massive plate of food, "after breakfast, of course."

He stood, brushing both hands down the front of his waist coat to smooth the bunches that sitting had put in it. "In the interest of full disclosure, Lord Treadwell, I am still quite serious about building some sort of waypoint, either here or elsewhere in the area. Myrkenwood is an untouched area of the providence that my father would be interested in..." 'Acquiring' was certainly the wrong word to use here. Chandler searched for another, "...unifying under common currency. I am certain I could convince him. If, in the meantime, you wish me to show you my ability to be trustworthy or handle funds, I am sure we can discuss some sort of work I could do for you to prove those skills." He took in a deep breath and looked to the stairs toward his room, "On the way to the messenger, perhaps? I should just fetch my overcoat."
Nikolaide

Return to The Tavern