When opurtunity knocks....

When opurtunity knocks....

Postby Khalika » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:35 am

They say when oppurtunity knocks, open the door...

The Gypsy was weaving her way through the muddy street of Mryken in the early afternoon hours....the rain going from light sprinkle to near down pour....But business was something that she never let the weather arrange, so there she trudges through the mud. The town itself was in less then stellar shape these days, what with Zombies, Spires, Maelhim...and the regualr lot of theives, Villians and Vampires....It was becoming quite difficult to make ends meet unless you specialized the making of weapons or the healing arts.

Shop owners were packing up their families and thier business for safer and with the trade routes near dust more profitable grounds. Which left a few prime properties just waiting for the right buyer.....This had been on the Gypsy mind since she watches weeks ago the wood craftman Lexington closing up his shop for the last time. Now one might think he would still be able to find work in the area what with the Tavern needing new furniture daily it seemed. But his was more an art...and not items produced in bulk to simply be destroyed during an ilde drunken argument. and his wife had just given him his second son. Those factors alone outweight any possible thoughts of remaining...and So she watched as they headed towards Heath and his wifes Family.

Now weeks later the building, a fine two story establishment with an attached wookshop out back stood empty....the Gypsy noted it as she passed....dust was collecting upon the floor, one side of the store front windows boardered up.. She moved on quickly, if any had glanced her way would have thought nothing of her passing by. Its not like she never ventures into town....she made stops here and there. A few order placed at randomed stores...Though it seemed an abandomed liverly at the edge of town, and the spot where the Toy store once stood, before that unfortunate fire...were also noted....And as she left town, she seemed to be smiling...it seems the Gypsy enjoys the rain....

They also say when one closes a door...they open a window....
Khalika

All in a Days work....

Postby Khalika » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:50 pm

Peter Klaus was a good young chap. At the age of 10 his father was struck down during one of the battles that always seem to pop-up around the area of the Myrken Forest. So young Peter, P.K. to his friends, had to leave what little schooling was available to the poorer folks, and seek out work for at home there was still his mother and younger brother and sister.

now 12 and having made do as best he could with the money earned while working at the Broekn dagger stables, taking care of the horses while their owners had a drink and a bite...It was honest work but hard. So when the Gypsy women called Khalika gave him a full silver coin, for doing such a good job with her Stallion Ajex, he made sure he was always working when she came by....And then one day when she asked him to deliver a note to someone, no questions asked and no telling...Well he did that aswell...and was rewarded....

That was near 8 months ago, and since then the roof of their home has been repaired and his brother and sister didn't have to leave school like him to also find work....Thing were pretty damn good in the Klaus household, and he never let out a peep about who was the cause, not even to his mother...

So there he was racing through puddles upon the Myrken streets off to the meeting house to find that portly Councilor by name of Treadwell....a letter tuck safely away....and it would read..

Councilor Treadwell;

I am seeking to aquire a few of the abandon properties in town, to possibly start a few new business. As I have noticed that there is a lacking of such, and think perhaps to bring in some new oppurtunities might breath life back into town and hopefully turn it away from the path it seems to be traveling down...
At you soonest conveinence I would like to arrange a meeting to discuss my plans...You can send your responce along with my currior who has brought this correspondance to your attention.

With respects,
Khalika Quiller.

the young boy would now be knocking upon the Councilors office door. If it was discovered he was out...he would find a seat and wait till Treadwell made an apperance...
Khalika

Postby Treadwell » Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:39 pm

The young lad would probably want to stop waiting after a bit and just slide the note under Tready's door; Aloisius Treadwell would not be coming anywhere near the meetinghouse today, thanks to his name having been slapped up on many, many signs throughout town as being one attached to cries of high treason. Instead, he had hastened home after finding such out shortly after lunch, where he has remained until falling asleep on his sofa with an extinguished pipe in his mouth.
Treadwell

Where does one hide a Treadwell?..

Postby Khalika » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:44 am

Peter Klaus was a patient sort...and that patience has served him well in this part time job he has found...For It was not odd for him to wait hours on end for the arrival of a certain person, or for a responce...So he seems none to worried about hanging around to wait for Councilor Treadwell..And when anyone passed by the spot where he waiting, offering to take the letter from him..to give to Treadwell when he returns...or suggested he simply slipped it under the locked door of his office..P.K. would smile..Gap toothed and all...and respond...

"Thanks' but no...My employer gave me very specific instructions to place this letter into Treadwells hands and his hand only..Till then my job ain't complete...and Well y'ah see before me Paps..Died, he use to say, if you're gonna do a job...do it right..."

By this time whoever it was had lost interest in the letter and the boy..and heading off to go about their own business.. This went on for a while..Till P.K. moved from this position to take up another by the main entrance to the meeting house in case he happened to see Treadwell walking by...and to avoid anymore questions...So it was there he stood...whistling away a dirty sailor shanty, that he must have picked up during all the time he spends about the dagger....When he noted someone, a page it seemed...wearing really fancy garb..must work for the governor... and he was posting up something..hmm!..

"What's the news!!...

He shouted from his second spot...apprently didn't hear him..for he was heading off to post up another somewhere else..well that was rude!!...but maybe he was as good at his job as P.K. was at his!...Yeah that must be it!...

But P.K. was at the Curious age...so of course it was barely five whole minutes before he was scurrying over towards the posting..it by now had a small crowd gather around it... He pushed his way through legs and arms...to spy the writing.. Now he might not be as good at this reading business as his siblings...but he knew enough to buy flour and get by!....it was pretty much all to fancy for him to understand..till it got to what looked like a list...HEY!!...That name at the Top!!..He looked to his letter...

"Well stick me on a spig and call me dinner!

He shouted out..much to the shock of a few who thought boys his age shouldn't talk that way...But he didn't care.. He was a paying member of the town after all!...Well least that was what he told the other boys who were always asking him where he was going and why!!...But back to his discovery!...Treadwell's name was on the posting!...one problem though...and he pulled on the first sleeve available...

" hey...What's Tree son?...I mean why would someone be having to go to the Gaol for that?..I mean i didn't even know Trees had kids..what happens if you get Tree Daughter?...

Of course he knew the letter that made the word Gaol...every kid that ran the streets, and worked the dagger stables knew that one!...but he was still pulling and the sleeve belonged to a middle aged gentlemen that for a moment had no living clue what the hell the boy was talking about...a head scratch..he was reading the post again...

"Don't know what you be talking about lad...Trees?..can't yah read?!....These folks be wanted for crimes against the Governor..

The sleeve was pulling away, and the man was leaving...still shaking his head...when he was clearly turned around, P.K. took this moment to offer up all the sign language he knew!..HAH!

But then something struck him...Treadwells had a falling out with the Governor...OH! NO!..What if he tries to skip! town!!!

Feet were flying...and he was racing through the street...Peter Klaus had to get to the Councilor house fast!!..Cuss he can't deliver a letter to Treadwell...If Treadwell left town!!

the distance covered as fast as the 12 yearold feet would take him..and he was banging on the Councilors door!...

"Mr.Treadwell!!?....Mr.Treadwell?!...Are you there?!!"

BANG!..BANG!....
Khalika

Postby Treadwell » Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:58 am

The knocking is enough to get the Councilor's sluggish, sleepy self a good rousing. He's missed breakfast, apparently, somehow, and nearly lunch, and now? Steeling himself for goodness knows what, Tready peeks outside at the lad banging on his door. So, giving it a creeeeak of an opening, the purple-clothed gent asks a simple question.

"Umm. . . what can I do for you, lad?"
Treadwell

Let's Do Lunch.....

Postby Khalika » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:32 am

Heavy breathing maybe some wheezing, a hand lifts up at, towards, near the portly Councilor...The other holding onto the door frame as the P.K. seems to be taking a moment to catch his breath....

This...Letters is for you....

It is placed sent and handed directly to the Councilor and then the Boy was dropping back..to lean, rest have a break as he waits for the Councilor to take, grab, handle the letter....and hopefully read and respond.....but hopefully not too soon....Cuss even the young need to have a break now and again....but the job as it is was completed, finished, successfully undertaken....

Yupe the Klaus family was going to be eating well tonight...
Khalika

Postby Treadwell » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:38 am

"Thank you, m'boy. Err, here. . . . You can go, now; I'll reply to this later." And so the Klaus lad is given a handful of shillings from a bowl by the door before Tready closes that door and sends Peter on his way.

= = = = =
OOC Note: "Peter Klaus the Goatherd" is one potential source for Washington Irving's "Rip Van Winkle." ;) English teacher trivia.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Downtown Myrkentown