Town Square - A noble's cause.

Town Square - A noble's cause.

Postby gothicwords » Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:52 am

Lady Mouth. How dare they. It was a name the Govener and his right hand man had bestowed upon the fair merchant. What sort of court addresses a noble woman with such contempt? - Two meetings and still no progress towards making her orphanage offical. As far as she knew they hadn't even decided on a Captian of the Guard. There were issues that needed tending to. The people's issues and yet there was no one to adress these issues to.

A pathetic lot for a council indeed.

But no less she would have to adhere to them for the time being. Pluck at each one of them until she got just what she wanted. It was going to take more than just fancy words to see anything done in this town. And she refused to do it underhandedly. She was not like the rest of them.

A quick stride through the pubic square. Black skirts as dark as any mid-night calling pooled in swirls at her ankles, caressing the soft leather of laced victorian boots. Up up her eyes went to the center circle which she would be standing on. A gentle hand reached taking her's and another at her waist they hosted the fair merchant up onto the plat form. The cool spring breeze took hold of her feathered hat and sent it swirling into the crowd. It was blustery and an uncharted terror burned in her stomach. Whisps of chestnut curls slide across her face now red with a fevish hue. She cleared her throat.

"Ladies and Gentleman, If I might have your attention Please. "

Her voice was like a wave of waters. Crisp and clear in the noon day light. The high ruffle of a white laced blouse choked at her throat and the pintucked sleeves revealed a slender length of arm which now brought a pale wave of her gentle, but cold hand over the crowd to silence them.

"As you all know our fair town is with out a Captian of the Guard. And that I, The Lady of the House of Rose Justice have petitioned the court to establish an orphange for the children of this town, and those that file into it less fortunate. Two meetings have gone by my dear fellow citizens. Two meetings of which I have learned a great deal about who is over seeing our town. A Man of ill repute I say! Contemptable and unworthy of his position. A one Gad Phuri"

The crowd built up of mostly nobles, and the elite of the society was now cheering her on. Most agreeable they were, A man called out, plucking the top hat off his head and waving it with a loud voice he agrreed.

"What she says is true! Something -must- be done! For our Town, for it's People! For the children!"

With that the crowd stirred into a roar of encouragement for the undoing of the current council member. However it was the merchant that calmed them and brought their attention to her real concern.

"There are those in the council who are wise, I believe. However it is the Govener in particular who will make or break this town. It is he who will sign the petition and see to furtherance of our cause. We must fight to see that this petition for the orphanage is settled in a timely fashion. A War is about to break out! Troops are moving through the lands, and our children need our protection. Any more of a delay is un-needed. Any man that would deny such a noble cause is not worthy of our support. We must see he understand what his denial of such a cause will create. Let us rally together as a society. Loyal and Noble of our cause! Let us make sure this Governer and his council know who pays for their fancy meals because it's obvious the Govener has had several of those."

She was passionate, and the crowd was laughing with her little jab at the Goveners portly sature. It was all true though.

"And Let us see to it that no Councilor is allowed to drink his way through a meeting, either! Such a disgrace to the Town I say. I saw it, and several dozen of you were witness to it as well. The name calling of myself. So be it. I'll give them a Lady Mouth! And we all will give show them the new noble socity of Myrken!! "

"Today I will be submitting a revised petition as they have required. I suggest a flood of letters, supporting this noble cause be sent to the Council. Direct them to a Altias Bromn. I believe him to be a fair man on the council which you can direct your concerns too. "

She let the crowd have their words, bantering on the effectiveness or lack there of the council. The rumor of war, and then a woman waved about a linen cloth. A rather loud lady with lots of curls and several chins.

"What about this Boy, Phlynn? And the murder of those two children. Do they just over look such crimes? What of that my dear Lady Rose? What of that?"

Alexi was hoping not to have to address that issue of Phylnn. Regardless of the rumored chilld or how ill he was, she loved him. An enraged town to see one boy brought to justice was something she hoped to not touch on this day.

"This is the very reason why we need an orphanage. And a worthy person as the Caption of the Guard. I am sure once they council has appointed such a person that this issue which I know is a grave one and has bothered us all will be dealt with. I promise you I shall see to it myself!

"Now I thank you all for coming and for your support both now and in the future. Monetarily and Emotionally. By God Bless you and Keep you and my our Cause be heard and our noble society flurioush! Thank you."

And in a moment's time the merchant was among the crowd answering questions about the meetings - of the Prince of New Dauntless, the Govener, the Guards, and all that she had been witness too at the meetings.
gothicwords

A word of Gossip

Postby gothicwords » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:45 am

Firelight in a stone hearth of great opulance lulled the room into the perfect settting for the guests. Pink drapes of a High quailty raw silk hung upon golden beams, keeping out the curious eye.
Candle sticks of brass, lummed upon tables of granet and marble and perfect arrangements of flowers filled Victorian vase after vase.

Alexi, played upon the piano a cheery little note or two to welcome the guests as they arrived. Her white gloved fingers rockish and bouncing off the keys, as her head swayed and chestnut curls bounced with the pounded out melody. Why all was well in the house of Rumors and Gossip. All was well indeed.

It was a grand place for grand entertaining and the Lord and Lady of the house had invited many of the nobles that had gathered at the Town Square to come and enjoy the riches of their wealth. There were things that couldn't be said there among the commen town's people. After all, some rumors where meant for only the ears of those that could afford to spread them.

All a twitter it seemed Mrs. Wellington was. Why the cakes where not quite as perfect as she wanted. The Baker had put dark chocolate instead of the white all over the top of the pasties. The servant had told her they were all out of Duck, so they would have to settle for some game called chicken. That was not going to do. She sent them out to the market early that morning to fetch a fresh cut of the finest Lamb flank they had. And rosemary she wanted fresh rosemary too. Lamb just wasn't any good without sprigs of fresh rosemary.

"Let us pray." And they did. Requesting the Lords Blessing of the Food, and thanking him for such an abundance of it.

"Do tell us Ms Rose what was that Gad like? Is his belly as big as they say it is?"

Asked Maryanne, the new daughter in law of Lord Wellington.
The merchant nearly choked on her chunk of lamb. A clink of her fork, and she swallowed. A napkin dabbed at the corner of her mouth before a sip of her wine and then finally an answer to the girls question. Everyone seemed to wait for her to answer. Though they never stopped once in their consumption of the feast.

"Bigger."

Replied Alexi with a silly facial expression, her hands going out wide to ephaisis the expanding waist of the the Govenor.

"Bigger than that Treadwell follow that likes to have all the Girls "help" him along?" Lord Priston asked with a wink to the merchant. Knowing full well she was fond of the so called judge.

"Now now, Treadwell is like us. He's just has a weakness and a large appitite for a piece of "

And that is when the whole table spilled over with laughter. And a noble gent stood up to give a toast, clinking his sterling silver fork to the side of his wine goblet.

"Let us toast to us. To fine food and friends, and the things they told us we couldn't have but with a little bit of cash and some friendly blackmail we proved them wrong. "

Again everyone laughed. The company was of a mixed nature, ladies and gents alike, but it most certianly did not lack in it's forbidden pleasure. The eyes roamed about with eating not only of the food but of the thoughts of the others. A den of inquity only those present truely knew about.

"Now now, did you hear of the rumor that Gad was murdered? and his wife? I imagie she did it? Why I think maybe I saw her escape town with that Treadwell follow. " A fellow chimed.

Alexi, though amused and delighted by her company could not fully let them go on about her friend in such a way.

"Don't be silly, my friends! Even Treadwell couldn't be that despriate. "

A change of topic after the light laughter and a bit of silence.

"Is there a reason other than your beautiful words that they might be inclined to call you Lady Mouth Miss Rose? Is there something you haven't shared with us? An Assest or two?"

Alexi's eyes went wide, for a brief moment. She had forgotten just how distasteful the gossip tree could be. She put a finger to her lips as if in thought.

"Why my Good Lord, what ever do you mean?"

"Oh come come now Miss Rose we know how the council works. They are dragging it out for two reasons. One they want more money from you, or two they enjoy the assests you have to offer. "

"After all a lady in the mist of a Drunk, what's his name doesn't it start with a T? Tisti? hmm no matter. Then consider the rather plump govenor who I assure isn't getting any, oh oh surely you "are" and were their entertainment for the evening. Military, talk must bore them to death. You know."

The last man she swore almost looked like Tyralor, but there was no way the two of them would have be invited together for a dinner feast of this nature. Espesially when the rumor of the merchant's hatred for the man was a well known fact.

Alexi now stood from her seat, she lifted her own glass, and the room seemed to be silent. As if they thought for a moment that they had over stepped their bounds with the proud merchant. She let them squirm in that silence for several un-needed moments.

And then she added with a puffed painted lip and darting eyes that landed on each of the other nobles like they were her prey.

"You all are simply.. " she pauses to take drink of the wine. "Jealous." And then came that little sly smile of hers and a great amout of laughter from the gathered group.
gothicwords

The possibility of fame.

Postby Wendy » Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:06 pm

"Ladies and Gentleman, If I might have your attention Please. "

Her voice was like a wave of waters. Crisp and clear in the noon day light. The high ruffle of a white laced blouse choked at her throat and the pintucked sleeves revealed a slender length of arm which now brought a pale wave of her gentle, but cold hand over the crowd to silence them.

Among those unsuspecting comers and goers was a pair eating lunch beneath a large oak tree. Children were playing hide-and-seek, forgiving the hindrance of the two sitting there in front of their designated 'ghouls'. While the kids were able to carry on with their amusements, the petite woman and her companion had stopped what they were doing. Like many who were passing by that very moment, they paid attention to the interference.

A lady of some esteem put herself upon the chopping block, as it was otherwise known in Myrken Wood square, and culled all who would listen to her trials and failures. It seemed she was a scorned, pretty thing, turned angry by the incompetence of the Myrken Wood Judiciary Council.

The slender little listener slowed the chewing going on in her mouth and glanced toward her associate. Words were mouthed to him though there was a mix of pulped apple on her tongue, 'An orphanage?' She looked upward, foregoing the use of her specs, to watch a giggling boy pull his way up into the tree. Once he'd straddled the low hanging branch, she looked to the writer... as if to ask what he made of the outcry for petition. She took another, larger bite of the apple and chewed.
Wendy

Postby Lord`Covington » Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:08 pm

The writer was chewing on, of all things, a piece of hardtack. He had acquired a peculiar taste for the inedible stuff in his younger days. He was not a man of much physical stature, standing only around five and a half feet tall with a receding hairline, but his brown hair still grew long in back, held in a shoulder-length ponytail. He dressed in simple brown-and-grey traveler's clothes with a leather satchel at his side and a short sword at his hip. He looked over to his 'sidekick' as she chewed on a piece of apple.

"Orphanage, hmm?" he said quietly in a somewhat scratchy voice, as if he had a potent cold. "This could be a decent story, and it would give us an angle to do some exposés on the Council...Heavens know that I've wanted to dig up some dirt on that Governor for a while now. Hmm."

The older writer chewed on the hardtack with a thoughtful grimace on his face. The war would sell better, but this orphanage bit would be his ticket to the Council's deep, dark dirt. He couldn't resist.

"All right. We go and talk to this Lady Rose and see what all the fuss is about, but let's at least get our bearings first, huh? I could use some more hardtack."
Lord`Covington

A change of Opinion

Postby gothicwords » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:14 am

Good intentions had been meant that first afternoon up on the butcher block. However public opinion was about to change.

The market was busy with the affairs of any ordinary day of the week. Chicken's, and geese scattered at the feet of those that walked through the market. The strong smell of smoked meats, salted pork, and freshly tapped maple syrup lingering in the air.

Shops had opened their windows and the smell from the bakery and its sugary pastries flooded the square. The sound of voices bargaining goods drifted. Flower peddelers and merchants who had traveled up the river to the Town of Mrken from New Dauntless sold their furs and wares.

She kept an eye on these things. Keeping track of which merchants came into the town to sell the folks of Mrken"new" things. Be it goods or ideas. Some said she just liked knowing everyone else’s business. Maybe that was the case and maybe it was not. A merchant had to keep an eye on the market. Know what things were worth, and who was selling what at any given time.

She was handing out pamphlets this day; small little scraps of parchment were being pushed into anyone's hand that she and her noble friends could get them into.

It would not take long for word to travel. A gathering of the local town at the square at sun set. Alexi had picked the falling of the eve on purposes. She knew it would bring out creatures that only lingered in the dark of night. Everyone needed to hear first hand the words of her mouth. And surely they would.

A plump man, smoking his pipe draws his hand across the back of his mouth and snapped the pamphlet out of his apprentice’s hand.
He read it out loud.

"All YE NOBLE CITZENS OF OUR BELOVED TOWN OF MRKEN, COME AND HEAR THE VOICE OF REASON. IN THE TOWN SQUARE, THIS NIGHT, AT DUSK."

"Oh PoppyCock! She's at it again Roger. I can only imagine what she'll be feeding us tonight." The blacksmith's hand crumbled up the pamphlet and gave it a toss into this fire pit.

"Will we go Master Zeek? " Inquired of the apprentice.

"We'll go." He grunted with a twist of his handlebar mustache.
"Along with everyone else."
gothicwords

Details Details Details

Postby gothicwords » Mon Apr 07, 2003 11:55 am

** Actual Roleplay time set for 8 pm EST **

** Tuesday April 8th **

** #Town Square - Starchat **

This time, things would not be done at a random pace. A favor was needed by a local mistress to see that chairs would be set up around the actual stone block in the center of the Square.

"Let's make this as comfortable for them as possible. I have a feeling once things get started it's going to go well into the night"

There would be a great number of wagons, carriages, horses and coaches to line the cobbled street. She wanted to make sure nothing would be out of order.

"See to it that the lamps have extra oil in them. I want the square well lit. " Madam Rose told a handful of her most trusted "friends".

"I'll speak with the Governor myself about perhaps some guards being present because I have a feeling with what I'm about to express there may be an uprising from some protesters. "

She moved on out of the market to hurry along with the day’s business. There were the blue prints to see about and a gift.
gothicwords

Return to Downtown Myrkentown