An ante upped; a bounty announced.

An ante upped; a bounty announced.

Postby Guillaume » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 am

In the aftermath of Meetinghouse conflagrations and Council elections, of the abolishment of Straka and the rise of Janeiro, one might be forgiven for thinking that certain unpleasant matters had actually gone forgotten. Perhaps this is what they mutter to each other in the fields, these Kaczmareks and Aberdeens and O'Cynens; perhaps they mourn the fact over their evening meals, these D'Ivries and Bucols, and even the poor grieving Fletchers.

No longer. Come nightfall, the work is done: there are such notices as these are nailed to shopfronts and to tavern walls, to lantern-posts and to the sides of fallen carts. Word spreads swiftly, because coin's been paid to gossips and bartenders ensure precisely just that, and besides...

The mentioned sum is vast.

[INDENT]Image[/INDENT]
Guillaume

Postby channe » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:31 pm

The boy who couriers this message to Lothbury is, understandably, breathless.

Seneschal:

While we all wish to see the drow threat eradicated, doing so at the cost of more Myrken Wood lives is against the law and inadvisable.

Your instructions will plunge this province into bloodlust; money, sir, is a motivator for many evils. Farm-boys who should be staying at home will end up as corpses when the creatures attempt to defend themselves. People will turn against their neighbors in an unneeded, idiotic witch-hunt, in which innocent blood will be spilled. It is the course of history, sir, and I will be damned if I let it happen here.

Withdraw your bounty on the individual drow; there are no Proven Associates at this time. By all means offer the bounty on Audmathus -- it was how the beast was slaughtered last time, wasn't it? You have your sovereign rights, yes, but, by the One God, you have no right to bypass the lawful government of this land. Repeal this bounty or the Council will be forced to respond in kind.

There are other ways of getting what we want -- the death of the drow Audmathus, his Successor Faeryl, and the drow that follow their disgusting lead -- without sacrificing the lives of good men and women to utter insanity. We are not beasts like they; we should not stoop to such bestial madness.

We are far better men than that.

Coriolanus Helstone
Governor of Myrken Wood
channe

Postby Pipkin » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:17 am

She'd read it. That was, perhaps, because it'd been posted to the door of the very building she was about to enter. Standing outside Ken`Ichi's shop, the wool of her cloak wrapped around her shoulders, Elil leaned close to the posting, eyes squinting as she mouthed words out in the strange, local language of Myrken Wood.

After all was said and done, and she stood back, away from the sign, she frowned. Dissapointment spread over her features, and was plain for the world to see as she bypassed the message, and entered the door of her Husband-to-be's wood working shop.

There was a great lot of fun to be had, soon, and she would be missing out on all of it.
Even a single lamp dispels the Darkness.
Pipkin

Postby channe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:23 am

The boy who couriers this message to Lothbury is, understandably, breathless.

Seneschal:

While we all wish to see the drow threat eradicated, doing so at the cost of more Myrken Wood lives is inadvisable and against the law.

While there are no laws against bounties themselves, your instructions may plunge this province into bloodlust, and there are laws against that -- and the result of bounties, which is murder. Farm-boys who should be staying at home will end up as corpses when the creatures attempt to defend themselves. People will turn against their neighbors in an unneeded, idiotic witch-hunt, in which innocent blood will be spilled. It is the course of history, sir, and I will be damned if I let it happen here.

I charge you to withdraw your bounty on the individual drow. Not every drow citizen in our province is a supporter of Audmathus; also, you must leave the prosecution of drow associates, when they are uncovered, to the law as is meet and proper. By all means, however, offer the bounty on Audmathus -- it was how the beast was slaughtered last time, wasn't it?

You have your sovereign rights, yes, but you also have no right to bypass the lawful government of this land. Repeal this bounty or the Council will respond within the instructions the law gives us in this case. If one innocent life is destroyed because of your instructions, murder charges will be brought.

There are other ways of getting what we want -- the death of the drow Audmathus, his Successor Faeryl, and the drow that follow their disgusting lead -- without sacrificing the lives of good men and women to utter insanity. We have Janeiro and the militia and we plan to use them. We are not beasts like they; we should not stoop to such bestial madness.

We are far better men, yes?

Coriolanus Helstone
Governor of Myrken Wood
channe

Postby Guillaume » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:22 am

[INDENT]To Coriolanus Helstone of the Myrken Wood Judiciary Council, Interim Governor of Myrken Wood: Greetings.

Lothbury Estate expresses its gratitude for this opportunity to express its lasting support of the Judiciary Council; may it yet serve for centuries hence as a force of calm and quiet authority upon this territory.

The Estate wishes the Council assured that it does not encourage the wholesale slaughter of an entire species; on the contrary, its hope is for peaceful and final solution to the threat which this territory faces. The Estate does not doubt that if there exist legal concerns regarding this assurance, they will be addressed by Janeiro; the Brotherhood's questions are welcomed, and will be answered as is befitting.

The evening six days hence marks the anniversary of Smithy Gritchell's murder, and the advent of drow assault upon this territory. It seems fitting to close this conversation by acknowledging the progress that the Council has thus far made in annihilating this threat.

Mathieu Laurent
~Seneschal, Lothbury Estate.
[/INDENT]
Guillaume

Postby Suede » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:29 pm

A man dressed in what could best be described as tatters and rags approached the Lothbury estates. He looked nervous, and was dragging a sack behind him rather roughly. He had to stop and tug it around pile-ups of snow. This fool was clearly homeless, and what he was carrying could no doubt contain a body.

When he reached the gate he'd shove the satchel there way and stand as tall as he could.

"There's yer damn drow, where's my money?" His smile was missing quite a few teeth.

If they opened the bag they'd find a body of a reasonably well-to-do man. He's been badly painted black, and his hair is an even worse white.
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."
~ Dark Helmet, Spaceballs
Suede

Postby channe » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:14 am

Captain Karolinger,

While the Lothbury seneschal is well within his right to declare bounties, I will remind you of Myrken Wood law that the result of bounties are illegal: assault, murder, etc.

I expect that you will continue to carry out your duties in this matter, i.e., arresting those who commit crimes. Mr. Laurent seems to think he is above the law, and I expect you to remind him that he is most certainly not.

God go with you; I trust in your competency. I do not want unnecessary slaughter in my province.

Sincerely,
Coriolanus Helstone
Governor of Myrken Wood
channe

Postby Mathieu Laurent » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:33 am

Tatters and rags, down the road towards Lothbury Estate -- which is to say that his approach is noticed before he's come within easy view of its heavy gates. Tatters and rags, and a sack dragged behind him; the guards posted at the gates that evening were making wagers on its contents before the poor fellow had properly presented it.

Not that anything at all is 'proper' about this display.

There's two of them at first, long-limbed and lean in their Estate colours; a third joins them, on noticing the shape of that suck. "'Damn drow,'" echoes one of them lazily, and perhaps there's a chuckle shared between the three; perhaps it's just a moment's quietly-choked dismay, 'drow' having taken on new meaning in Myrkentown, of late.

But when his partner kneels to open that sack, when he sees what's broken within it, there's no mistaking the sickness of his gasp.

A jerk at the sack's edges reveal this discovery to the others; a thumb rubbed brusquely against the corpse's brow comes away faintly blackened. With a disgusted snort, the sack's dropped back into the snow, and one of the men is calling: "Victor! Send Léon for Janeiro!"

It's the man who'd first spoken, who'll deal with Tatters now, and with simply this: "It's the Brotherhood or the streets again for you, my sir, and without a shilling bit to show for it; tell your friends this." The iron gates are parting by then, and a ginger roan speeds through, for the direction of the distant Barracks.
Mathieu Laurent

Postby Vanidor » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:26 am

An hour would pass between the departure of the rider towards the barracks and the return of that man with a full patrol of Brotherhood Soldiers. Ten of them, in this instance, led by their sergeant. It was a crusty looking man by the name of Tarnhell, and he would just... squint eyes at the whole shebang.

"Well. Who's head to I have to be breaking now..."

One should always be drunk. That's all that matters... But with what? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you chose. But get drunk. - Charles Baudelaire

Vanidor

Return to Downtown Myrkentown