Casting the net.

Casting the net.

Postby Cinnabar » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:28 pm

Dawn sees a growing bustle of activity at the Constabulary's headquarters, an uncommon number of men moving to and fro or standing in twos and threes in the shadows of the buildings. Horses are lined up along one side of the yard, shifting and snorting in the early morning light as tack is checked and saddlebags of provisions are loaded alongside scroll-cases and sturdy crossbows.

There is an air of bitter determination about the men who clearly prepare for some mission or other, faces predominantly fixed in expressions of grim resolve to match their garb and equipment. Each wears a standard steel helm and dark grey cloak with a mailshirt clinking beneath, and a heavy-bladed falchion swinging at his hip. Heavier arms and armour than is usual for the Constabulary, hinting at some dangerous work ahead. Muttered words carry in the still air, spoken with a vengeful twist of the lip or glowering scowl.

...just marched in an' claimed her from inside the Dagger, bold as you like...

...heard there was a fight, three or four against him...

...aye, an' you know the sort that hang around there. Even they couldn't stop him...

...new girl, wasn't it? I heard she was behind the cookies...

...the
bastard!...

Eventually the muttering dies down as a uniformed figure emerges onto the steps of the main building, and the Constables - perhaps two dozen in total - draw near to hear the specifics of their task. High Constable Calomel regards the gathered men and women thoughtfully for a moment, his features composed into a mask of stern command.

"Constables." A nod to those assembled, waiting briefly until he is sure he has their full attention. "Some of you already know the reason you have been called here. The ghoul Teron Ashfiend has attacked Myrkentown again, with total contempt for the Peace which we are sworn to uphold. Previously it has attacked the Myrkentown Library, killing a man and abducting the librarian who remains missing despite the efforts of our Detectives. This latest attack took place at the Broken Dagger tavern, and despite fierce resistance of several of the patrons ended with the creature escaping with a member of the tavern's staff." A pause for that information to sink in before he continues.

"Such blatant disregard for the lives and laws of Myrkentown's citizens cannot, will not be tolerated. We will track down this monster; we will discover where it lairs, and in the name of the Law we will see it ended." Nods and murmurs of agreement from the gathered Constables at this, Calomel's words firming their resolve and determination.

"Your task is to search for news of this creature, or word of its passage in order that we might hunt it down. You will travel in pairs, moving outwards from Myrkentown as detailed in your briefing papers. You will advise everyone you encounter on the way of the creature's appearance and capabilities, of the threat it poses; you have been provided with a number of posters to be displayed prominently at any centres of population you pass through, and pamphlets for the warning of the public. You will also seek any information which might hint at the Ashfiend's whereabouts. Listen especially for news of destruction, of murders or disappearances which remains unsolved - the creature is singularly crude and direct in its methods, and has no qualms about slaying those who cross its path; that, and raising their corpses to serve its vile ends." Some of the Constables spit or make the sign of the One True Faith at this, the news only filling them with greater hatred for the monster.

"Remember: your role is that of scouts, not soldiers; should you find compelling reason to believe you have discovered the creature's whereabouts, you are to report back immediately and await further instructions. Do not engage the creature yourselves, unless doing so allows you to escape. That is an explicit order. I need information, not dead Constables." Cool grey eyes sweep the assembled Constables, and is met with nods of confirmation that this point has been noted well.

"Stay sharp. You each have details on when and where you are expected to report back; if you miss those meetings, we will assume the worst and respond accordingly. Don't embarrass yourselves, and don't waste your fellow Constables' time." A wry smile at that, the risk of humiliation and endless ribbing perhaps serving as a greater motivator than the threat of official rebuke. That seems to be the end of the briefing, however, as the High Constable nods a final time and touches fingertips to his brow in salute.

"Mind how you go."
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Alastir » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:21 am

It had been an interesting speech, granted the healer had been standing admist the throngs of people - waiting for some time to leave his own missive to the constable, himself. And he'd learned that Mr. Calomel was the leader of them. And he'd mistaken him for only a gaurdsmen. It made sense now. But there's information this day, and information he sorely needed to transmit to Cinnabar.

"No, you can't see him right now." It was one of the other constables, barring entrace to Alastir.

"It's rather important, I've information on the fiend." Alastir says.

"Right, son, we've not time for hearing imagination."

"Very well, then give this to him, would you? And tell him that the Yewman Saovy sends it to him." Alastir offers, with a sort of sharp retort then stuffs the man's hand with a rolled up bit of parchment.

Annoyance etches the young man's face and he turns around and begins to stalk off. Hopefully, at least Cinnabar would get the missive. If the constable remembered to give to him.

"Wot's this, Yewman?"

"Dunno. Seemed important, best put it on his lord's desk."

The two nodded at each other and the note is placed on Cinnabar's desk, neatly.

Sir Calomel,
I apologize for not being able to tell you this in person, so I am leaving this letter with your subordinate. I hope that it finds you. I have been keeping my eyes and ears out for this creature and as of last night I spoke with those that fought it and were wounded.

From inspection of their wounds, the creature is indeed of necromantic design, and perhaps kith. The wounds themselves showed signs of retratus necrosis - which is the basis of most undead's attacks. It's chilling touch renders skin lifeless, by drawing out the life from it. Hence, the it is so cold that it burns the victim's skin white. The thing, from what I can gather and deduce is already dead. And, from other interesting facts that I cannot detail here, I think it is what legend refers to as a "Death Knight" of some sort. I cannot be for certain since I have not seen it myself.

This would account for it's inherint strength, and how it injures someone. Also, according to legend they are risen knights who were obssessed with something in life and continue with this obsession in death. They committed, in life, some heinous crime and were cursed to walk the earth because of it. Perhaps this is why it is targeting young women. Another reason is that, also according to legend, that innocents drained of their life-force via retratus necrosis offer them extended life - or feeling.

So, perhaps the attack on the library is in someway connected to these dealings. I am not for certain, but this is, by way of talking with all those involved and us discussing it, what we could come up with.

I hope it helps.

(signed)
Yewman Alastir Savoy.
I'm gonna suture up my future, I ain't jaded, just hate it hard to explain, done & buried all I carried.
all my evils, through a needle, as I pull through the eye, of what was & what will, are now gone,
don't sweat it, thread it to forget it,
to feel like you've already gone on, to the rest of,
the rest of the life that you've got,
tie loose ends & bury it all away.
QotSA.

~ If it can't be healed; you're already dead. ~
Alastir

A much needed distraction

Postby Sherazade » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:52 am

Alexis was a shadow on the edge of the constables. With them and yet not of them, at least yet, she held a somewhat unique and quite precarious position if she made a mistep. Hat brim was kept at a feature shading angle as she listened to the mutters of constable, so the rumors of this lingering undead armoured monster were true?. Hmph she had at first thought perhaps the vineyard workers were merely repeating gossip. Oh she hadn't believed it wasn't possible for such a creature to exist, after all she had seen much that these constables would think a simple flight of fancy. Lips twitched within shadow... then again given this was Myrken wood maybe they wouldn't.

Head lifted as the high constable emerged onto the steps, sunlight lancing through shadows to cast a glow upon features of pale fawn. His words when they came, flowed through her like a desert wind, every piece of valuable knowledge desposited like grains of sand within her mind.

She is dead the librarian, you know this is true

There was no need to reply to the voice that purred through her mind, for this time she agreed with it. Perhaps fighting thi voice was not a good idea after all. She felt its sense of triumph and yet it did not bother her this time and instead she directed her thoughts towards this voice *Together, you and I we will find this thing*

Yes we will Sweet Alexis its what we were born to do, We will find its lair and report

Lashes fell blinked over gold flecked gaze of chocolate she had not expected those words to come from this other.... *As You Wish* She murmured in silent response and turning she began to drift away from the crowd now, simple graceful walk melting easily into a predatory glide.

This hunt was just the distraction from brooding she needed, and yet she would not have wished for such a thing.
Words of wisdom for life

Sleep i forget what that is *laughs*
Sherazade

Postby Malaroth » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:42 am

A boy, his face just beginning to tease him with the promise of manhood that many youths find in any facial hair at all, left a carefully rolled scroll in the hands of another constable with orders to deliver it into the High Constable's hands.

Cinnabar Calomel,
High Constable of Myrken Wood,

Greetings:

Given our recent correspondence concerning an attitude of open cooperation and mutual assistance, as well as the Ashfiend's recent terrorizing of the people of Myrken Wood, let it be known that the Shepherd Knights of the Silver Staff are committed to ridding this land of him.

A meeting was held but a few evenings ago to address his threat and ascertain what is known about him. If neither Ariane nor Khalika have offered you the summarization of the meeting let me know and I would be happy to supply the details.

Do let us know in what fashion we may be of use to you and to the people. The knighthood stands ready to face this threat.

Sincerely,

Sir Malaroth Deucalios of Zachea
Grand Master of the Shepherd Knights
I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
For this I gave up trying
One good turn deserves my dying
Malaroth

Postby Tsu-Hui Tang » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:14 am

Theirs is the uncertain light of dawn, and this is the time she best favours: during its small, precious period they live and move on the edge of the wall that divides light from dark. It is a hairsbreadth in width, it is piercing in its immensity. Here in the brilliant gloom of it dances Tsu-hui, who is also Jia Li, being fashioned in beauty as well as strength. Here dances Tsu-hui, who had sworn her sword to a Governor's service, who had whispered Holocaust to his ear.

Who presses the gold hairpin to her lips, and blows it like a kiss from her palm, to shoot true and straight from the darkness, piercing into the center of the Headquarters door. A dash of scarlet silk trails from its tiny end, like indentured flame, and burned into its gossamer substance are these words:

Heroism Never Dies

Like a silken hummingbird, she is gone; like the echo of a dream.
Tsu-Hui Tang

Postby Cinnabar » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:23 am

Not immediately, but soon enough, a couple of letters in particular are among those which travel out from the Constabulary's headquarters, folded and sealed and addressed in an elegant script.

~~||~~

Yewman Savoy

My thanks for your recent correspondence, and apologies that I was not available to meet with you; as you might imagine, this latest disturbance has somewhat reduced the time I have available for unscheduled meetings. It is my sincere hope that this will change in the near future, but until then I trust that you will accept this letter instead.

If you know how this "retratus necrosis" might be healed in those who have encountered the creature, I may have need of your services imminently; as you are no doubt aware, we move to locate and put and end to the ghoul even now, and it concerns me that officers of the Constabulary are likely to be injured during the course of such. With your assistance, hopefully any casualties will be able to make a good recovery.

The information you kindly provided on the possible nature of the beast may well prove useful, and I would encourage you to continue your researches and notify me of any further discoveries; of particular interest are any means by which it might be weakened, halted, subdued or destroyed, especially methods which might be employed by the citizenry at large to reduce the threat posed by the creature to their lives and livelihoods.

Again, my thanks for your letter, and I look forward to hearing more from you soon, be it in person or in writing.

Sincerely,

Cinnabar Calomel
High Constable, Myrkentown Constabulary

~~||~~

Sir Malaroth,

My thanks for your recent correspondence, and also for your offer of assistance in the matter of the ghoul Teron Ashfiend. I have not been in recent contact with Ms. Emory or Ms. Quiller, and have thus not had news of this meeting - any information you could provide on such would be most welcome.

In the meantime, I have a number of Constables searching Myrken for word on the ghoul's location; I would be most grateful if your Order's chapterhouse could serve as a meeting-point for these Constables, where they might drop off their findings to be sent on to the Constabulary's headquarters here in Myrkentown. Obviously in the interest of efficiency you would have full access to this information to aid in making your own moves against the creature, and in turn I would greatly appreciate any news your Knights might themselves gather of its movements.

At present my men are under strict orders not to engage the Ashfiend directly, but to discover its whereabouts and report back. Once the lair is discovered I would propose a joint venture of our organisations to meet the creature with overwhelming force, as I feel this holds the greatest chance of success in ridding Myrken of its taint once and for all.

Until then, I shall not hesitate to advise you of any further developments.

Sincerely,

Cinnabar Calomel
Cinnabar

Postby Malaroth » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:16 pm

Cinnabar Calomel,
High Constable of Myrken Wood

Greetings,

To the point: we pooled what knowledge we have concerning the Ashfiend. Those parties included were Ariane Emory, Khalika Quiller, Seth Bloodmoon, Alastir Savoy, one of the Order of Straka's men (named Aeryn if I am not mistaken) and a diminutive, pale woman of elven-heritage who appeared to be a friend of Bloodmoon's. And also myself, of course.

Concerning his nature: there is some opinion, mostly amongst Ms. Emory, Ms. Quiller and the Order's man that the Ashfiend's nature is like that of a ghost. Indeed, one even went so far as to suggest it was a distant ancestor of mine given that he claims to have forged my stolen sword. There is no one of his name, nor of his great stature, recorded into my heritage. As we are far from Zachea, however, it is impossible to investigate this claim. Bloodmoon and his elf companion were of the opinion that the Ashfiend might be something called a "Death Knight," a cursed and obsessed creature of undeath.

Concerning his abilities: we made it known amongst each other that Ashfiend possesses great strength and potent sorcerous abilities, particularly of the necromantic variety. He has been observed to raise the dead in service to him, to cause undue fatigue, to craft magic symbols that cause excruciating and paralyzing pain, to teleport through shadows, and to not exhibit any ability to tire. We also know him to be rather merciless and cruel. Mr. Savoy was of the opinion that the wounds caused by Teron's chilling aura, which he seems able to control and magnify, was due to some sort of condition called "necrosis retratus" or somesuch and seems quite knowledgeable of it. Though he does not seem to grow weary the creature does experience pain although none from either hot or cold.

Concerning the role of the knighthood: we would be happy to serve as a central point of communication and I will let it be known amongst the knights that any constable is to be allowed entry and offered whatever service as is required and is within our ability. I will send out my fastest riders to see if any trace of the creature's movements may be ascertained through any means possible.

My knights and I stand ready to ride out and crush the Ashfiend once his location is discovered and plans have been set to see him ended.

Sincerely,
Courage, Honor, Wisdom
I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
Malaroth

Mapmaker, mapmaker.

Postby Cinnabar » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:23 pm

It has been some time since the mounted officers were sent out out into Myrken, long weeks in which the men of the Myrkentown Constabulary had ranged across the miles in search of news of the ghoul Ashfiend.

Little had been heard at first, only reports that neither sight nor word of the creature had been found close to Myrkentown itself, despite the Ashfiend having made appearances near the town since the tavern girl was abducted, as if to mock those who attempted to hunt it down.

But then more positive reports had started arriving, accounts of farmhouses raided and destroyed, their occupants vanished; travellers gone missing on the road nearby, never reaching their destination; tales of figures seen at a distance in the moonlight, a small procession straggling its way through the night; strange marks becoming apparent in fields as the wheat ripens, as if something had passed by and somehow blighted or killed whatever plantlife it touched.

None of these clues might have provided much information on their own, but taken together they begin to form a clearer picture - a narrow trail of destruction tracing its way across the countryside of Myrken Wood, rumours of death and horror and ruin left in its wake. The seachers had been instructed to focus further on this trail, concentrating their efforts to better track the creature, to discover its lair.

High Constable Calomel mulls over what information has been uncovered as he regards the scattering of maps and charts strewn across his desk; assorted depictions of the Myrken countryside drawn from what was available at the Library, each varying in its scale, its detail and its accuracy. Small markers - black pawns taken from a chess set - attempt to plot a course across the maps, each holding down a smaller scrap of paper with an approximate date scribbled upon it. Piecing together these maps has proven a thankless task, their vast disparities foiling his attempts to project where the path of bloodshed and destruction might lead.

Eventually he sighs, rubbing his eyes wearily, and reaches for a fresh piece of paper and his writing set instead. A letter is written to the Grand Master of the Shepherd Knights, a summary of all that the Constabulary has found thus far and an invitation for Sir Malaroth to share whatever thoughts he might have on these findings. The letter is rolled up and slipped into a thin brass scroll case, a slip of paper bearing its intended destination wrapped around the metal tube and sealed with wax and the High Constable's thumbprint. The letter is then placed in a tray on his desk from where a clerk will collect it and see it properly dispatched. For now, Calomel returns to pondering his maps.

If he is to be honest, he holds little hope of recovering the tavern girl alive. Given the Ashfiend's tendencies she likely perished soon after her abduction. Be that as it may, Calomel certainly intends to see the girl avenged. Her, and all the others that the ghoul has slain in his rampage through Myrken.

Vengeance will be had. Vengeance and justice.
Cinnabar

Postby Malaroth » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:22 am

Malaroth sighed as he leaned back against the wooden parapets atop the chapter house's keep. The potent summer sun burned against the people of Myrken Wood with unmistakable wrath, drawing perpetual sweat in crawling rivulets down the length of his haggard countenance.

The High Constable had sent word, however, and the thought was a quiet balm to an overheated soul caught up in concerns for protecting the citizenry from both Zayken and the Ashfiend. He unrolled the message with the harsh scrape of dry parchment and, furrowing his brow, began to read.

Only some of the sightings were known to him, and the Constable's research proved far more accurate. Moreso, he quickly noticed, was that each of Calomel's documented thoughts had begun to build a sturdy bridge in his mind. He moved quickly to his chambers and the ink and quill which waited there.

Cinnabar Calomel

Greetings,

I am glad for your letter in these confusing, conflicted days. Myrken Wood seems ready to be devoured by two enemies. However, with what you have learned, perhaps one may soon be dealt with.

The locations of the various sightings, and their dates, lead me to believe that the Ashfiend has been marching in a steadily eastward direction towards the mountainous Derry border. Given his bold demeanor and easily recognizable appearance, if he had crossed into Derry I do not doubt that we would have heard mention of it. I will hasten to send a rider with a warning for the government and people of Derry to beware of the Ashfiend's possible approach.

Furthermore, during my stay at the Priory of Stonebrook I learned that there was once, not long ago, another priory concerned mostly with farming and husbandry located amongst the cliffs that separate Myrken Wood from Derry. If memory serves the place was called the Priory of Snowstill, and Governor Bromn was held there some time ago by personal enemies.

I will also dispatch riders to scout the Priory of Snowstill and its environs for evidence of the Ashfiend's presence or passage.

I am also aware of this Zayken creature having announced his plan for war upon Myrken Wood and wish to let you know that we also stand ready to assist against this threat and will be mounting regular patrols in the town proper and in the central Myrken region near our Chapter House.

May the darkness end soon.

Sincerely,
I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
Malaroth

Postby Malaroth » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:33 am

Let it not be said that just because one served as a knight that one was above certain schemes. It is a tidy sum that speeds this particular messenger along.

Cinnabar Calmomel
High Constable of Myrken Wood,

I regret to inform you that it is the will of the Councilors, and evidently the people, that no direct confrontation be sought concerning the Ashfiend. They intend to try their hand at diplomacy first, and Khalika Quiller seems to be the chosen diplomat.

We must speak face-to-face.

Sincerely,
I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
Malaroth

Postby Cinnabar » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:32 am

The response comes almost immediately, handwriting slightly rushed as if it were written in considerable haste.

Sir Malaroth

While it is not my place to dispute the decisions of our Judiciary Council, I can only wonder at their reasoning if they feel that diplomacy is the best way to deal with one such as the Ashfiend, who has already demonstrated himself to be a murderer, a kidnapper, a necromancer and a very real threat to the citizenry of Myrken Wood.

I am passingly familiar with Ms Quiller, however; if she has been chosen as Myrken's envoy then my advice would be to make ready for an assault upon the Ashfiend regardless. Her powers of diplomacy leave a great deal to be desired.

I concur that we should meet. Name a time and place, and I shall be there.

Sincerely

Cinnabar Calomel
Cinnabar

Postby Malaroth » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:38 am

Cinnabar Calomel

Greetings,

I suggest meeting this coming Tuesday, either in the afternoon or the evening. I hope to see you then. If not I'm sure that we can find another agreeable time.

Sincerely,

I wish I had a reason
My flaws are open season
Malaroth

Return to Downtown Myrkentown