Tending the Flock.

Tending the Flock.

Postby Varian » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 am

The leather-covered fingertips of one hand ran over the sketch scribbled on to the parchment, pinned to the outter wall of the shoppe he had just recently exited from. A curious cant to his head followed, while scrutinizing eyes picked out what little detail was to be had, before moving on to the words that accompanied the caricature.

"Murder. Assault. These are things of little intrigue." His thoughts echoed quietly. "Necromancy." He spoke that final offense with a measure of muted interest. After all, in his mind there was but one conjurer who warranted words of caution and his name was not to be spoken, let alone plastered throughout the township.

Varian lifted the kerchief within the fingers of his opposite hand and placed it gently over his nose and mouth. As he breathed in the lingering scent of perfume that permeated the soft fabric, his eyes drifted away from the sign and he continued onward in his walk. This new information offered explanation as to why the streets of Myrken proper reeked of death; an unnatural and contemptible death.

There were no grounds for bewilderment. A flock without a shepherd was bait for the wolves, after all and it had become immediately apparent that none here had been fit to safeguard the folk of Myrken in his absence.

"Vile creature, indeed." He cooed absently, into the palm of the hand that still masked his young face with the ash-gray cloth of his kerchief. "There are fates far worse than a peaceable death at my hands," he mused in his mind as he stepped from the side of the street and into the waiting coach.

The driver secured the door, before climbing into his seat. The reins snapped and the carriage clattered down the road, toward the horizon as the sun guttered and twilight prevailed.
I'm like a prisoner getting ready to talk. I feel the blood in my hands and the threat in your walk.
Varian

Return to Downtown Myrkentown