You Really Would Think a Mul Would be Easier to Spot

You Really Would Think a Mul Would be Easier to Spot

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:12 am

Glenn Burnie's appreciation of the Myrkentown Tea House had apparently risen dramatically over the last many months. He was a terrible customer, given that he didn't like tea, and that he had a firm "look but don't touch" policy when it came to the other service offered, but he had learned to give the ladies there the proper respect and adoration. They weren't generally as crafty and interesting as their run-of-the-mill counterparts found elsewhere in town, but they were generally nothing to sneeze at either.

Or at least that had been the case up until just a few weeks ago. Now, everything has changed and he was generally avoiding the place as if it was a leper colony. He did not know entirely how he would react in the face of the residents there, and that thought scared him.

Therefore, it was with some real difficultly that he was waiting outside the establishment so early in the morning, trying to seem like he actually belonged. Really, if he wasn't so well known as a friend of Cambree's and the Goverrnor's and if he hadn't been so polite and well-behaved as of late, they really ought to just have sent the security out to remove him from the area. He certainly wasn't a paying customer right now.

Of course, that was almost exactly what the young mapmaker wanted this morning, the security. More conventional methods hadn't been successful and in some ways, the need was more intense than before, so he was trying something of a more direct route.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vasconcelos » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:50 pm

The half-breed was of a more cautious temperament than most of those that shared in his uniqure genetic combination. That was perhaps why he was still alive and so many of his race were not. A mul was a rare thing indeed, and a mul that grew to old age was even rarer. The half-dwarf was conflicted upon which he'd rather be.

To dwell in secrecy and without disturbance, the Mul had, at a point in the past, accepted a position as the manager of the teahouse in the evening. This was due to the nocturnal troubles that had caused the teahouse to close. The interruption caused by these nightly visitors affected business to the point where a guard dog was required in one form another. So the half-dwarf signed on to the job and performed his duties.

To say that his maw slavered at the thought of combat, or something of the sort occurring at the teahouse. Yet the event did not occur. It would seem that the men who graced the tavern, for all reasons, found the half-breed an appropriate remedy for any kind of conflict. There were rumors that stated the reason for his protection was that he enjoyed all things within the building. The tea and that which was rumored to be found upstairs. Whether this was true or not, was difficult to say. His movements within the building were unpredictable, and ghost-like.

When a patron thought it safe to speak of him, and assume of any activities he might be engaging in, he would shortly find himself staring into a crimson gaze across the room, seated on the floor near a darkened corner. His silence and wraith-like movements belied his large frame. If he wanted to be noticed, he merely needed to stand up.

Late nights and a lack of trouble from those within, allowed for him to live a subtle life where very little news of him strayed very far from Myrkentown. It was early in the morning when the Mul felt his duties at the teahouse had finished, and was exiting the edifice, to venture off into whatever part of the realm he deemed appropriate. He'd been silent at Darkenhold and roaming the land for one reason or another.

Yet here he was faced with the young mapmaker. The man stood out easily to the half-breed, for he knew him well enough by now that he would recognize him like a tick on a hound dog's arse. Yet the streets would be bare so early in the morning, save for the few late night drunkards. "Glenn." Came the man's sepulchral voice. It would seem that it would not take much hesitation from the half-breed before he would move on, so Glenn would have to be quick in getting to the point, or the mul would move on.
My favorite inside source,
I'll kiss your open sores,
Appreciate your concern
You'll always, stink, and burn.
Vasconcelos

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:00 pm

"Ymir." The mapmaker could say such a greeting as well, just a name. There was a relatively new scar on his cheek, and he looked as if he had been in a few relatively serious scraps as of late, but past that, he looked much the same as usual. Ah, and if the Mul wanted to walk off, Glenn could follow, could keep up with him. Speed wasn't the large man's strong point. "You've been a hard man to find. Too hard. Especially considering you're not a man to hide anything, including yourself."

Were they friends? Not really. Glenn always acted more familiar than he should. "So I decided to see for myself. If you were still here. If you still graced us with your presence. Dulcie, whom I have promised not to speak for," which made this entire meeting rather quizzical to say the least. Surely, the Mul would not know that the young mapmaker, was recovering from his trauma in her cottage. "has stopped by your room repeatedly. It was then near mine. I would have known. I've come looking for you too. You haven't wanted to be found, even by friends. I'm curious why." He would pause slightly, looking up to the man fearlessly. "I realize it's not my business. I don't care."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:23 am

The half-breed had begun to walk off the moment the man had said his name. He noted the scar on the man's cheek, but chalked it up to Glenn being who he was. People either hated the man, or tolerated him. As the man spoke, the half-dwarf simply continued to move on, seeming to pay scarce attention to the mapmaker. His direction was taking him towards Darkenhold.

Upon the man's final words, the Mul, in a slow and deliberate fashion, turned his head to regard Glenn out of one corner of his eye. "Don't really care, then why ask? Speaking alot for someone you promised not to speak for. Is there an actual question, or are you just curious to see what I've been doing?"
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:16 am

Darkenhold. He hadn't been there, not even once, since Rhaena lost her hand. Part of it was wounded pride. Part of it was apprehension. There were things to answer for and ... well, Darkenhold was still a good ways off, even with Ymir's gait. There was time enough before they reached there.

"You misheard me. I care. What I don't care about is about it not being my business. And you can start with what you've been up to and we'll work up to actual questions as we go. That seems like a plan." He had one or two in mind, certainly, and Ymir would not be rid of him very easily this morning. It was more than just base curiosity considering what he had learned from Jynoriel over the last month and just how much time he had spent with Dulcie during that period.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm

If there was any mis-step or hesitation in Glenn's own pace, the Mul would notice, but never adjust for it. He simply continued on making his way toward his destination at an even march. The march had a beat to it, a rhythm in his footsteps. If the Mul knew Glenn well enough, the man would have already been at Jynoriel's ear, and learned some, if not much, from the woman. She could always be relied upon to be a holder of secrets, discreet, and silent about many things. The unfortunate thing was that such secrecy only lent itself after some discussion at times.

"You seem to be confident I'll comply. Half tempting to say nothing as a result." A snuff of hot air exhaled from flared nostrils as the Mul tilted his head slightly to glance at Glenn out of the corner of his eyes. He'd hear some goings on at the teahouse, rumours of events, of injuries. He'd never checked up on anyone. That would seem a bit odd.

"I've been training. Wandering. Getting to know the land again. Avoiding people who were wondering where I am too." At that point he arched a hairless brow but did not turn his gaze toward the mapmaker. "The last part was the hardest."
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:42 am

Glenn was favoring his left leg just a little, but it was really quite slight. He could more than keep up with the Mul. And yes, he had learned things from Jynoriel, but it had hardly been her fault. She had been in the wrong place at the wrong time and had been the one to deliver Rhaena to the Remedium. That all but made her part of his life. In truth, her stories had been invaluable in his recovery, and now, perhaps, they would pay off even more when it came to the Mul. He wouldn't use that sort of leverage unless it was absolutely necessary though. Despite appearances, the mapmaker could be quite disciplined with information. It was, after all, his business.

"You could be uncooporateive, but then I would just be more persistant, and it'd be amusing for a while, but you would tire of it before I did." Was that a challenge? Hardly. It was just the truth. Of course, at that point, Ymir might be driven to toss Burnie into the lake with iron leggings on. The young man was undaunted.

Thankfully, Ymir had given him SOMETHING more, and now Glenn would look at him cooly. "I can imagine that would be hard, even for you. Something so difficult isn't done without the best of reasons, or the worst. What are yours?" Probably to avoid questions like that, of course. Unfortunately, the question was there, out in the open between them, and Glenn was intent on getting an answer.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:21 pm

There was a challenge in the mapmaker, one that the Mul pondered taking up. The mapmaker had some assumptions about the half-breed, about his patience perhaps, and his willpower. One could always trump the other if it was necessary for the man, but this situation was far different. The mapmaker had questions. Questions that were based on assumptions.

"Not that hard for me. Hard for them. Hard because they'll ask why. Hard to give a reason why. Not a fan of being too close. Never have been. Closeness, for me, always is ripped away. Happened with Jynoriel. Will happen again with, without her, or with someone else." He arched a hairless brow and turned to gaze at the man's face. "No problem with not facing the people I care for. Not that hard for me. Hard for them." He said again, emphasizing it with a raising of hairless brows.

Was there an actual answer there, in his response to the mapmaker? Or was it the kind of answer that the mul knew the mapmaker would interpret one way or another and go from there? If the mapmaker had spoken to the woman, then the mapmaker would have known what the Mul had done...
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 pm

Jynoriel had told Glenn this and that, and of what she had told him, some of it had been about Ymir and much of it he still remembered. There was nothing particularly damning, however. She had spoken of sacrifice and responsibility both for the sake of one another and that came between one another. Either way, it didn't warrant an answer like that.

Glenn had expected to have to force Ymir to this point, to use facts and sophistry to maneuver the Mul to this very moment that he would make so craven a statement and the mapmaker would be there to show him the folly of it. It was all worked out in Glenn's head, something that he could manage without implicating Dulcie or anyone else.

So of course, Ymir had STARTED with it. Either he really was this much a cold-hearted, world-weary bastard of a fool or he was toying with Burnie. Were it the former, this entire endevour was exceptionally futile. The latter possibility was offensive, yes, but it was still the preferable option for this situation.

Fine, then. When it came to quick, unexpected bursts, Glenn was most likely quicker than the Mul. He would therefore dash in front of the far larger man, cross his arms, and decide to completely dismiss what Ymir just said as a ploy. "You're not getting rid of me that easily, not with a line like that." He was now making a good attempt to bar Ymir's way.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:15 am

As much as Glenn had pictured multiple scenarios in this situation, so too did the half-breed now ponder, in a few short moments, exactly what he should do. He could continue moving on and simply shove the mapmaker out of his way. The man might have been a touch faster than he, but that slight limp made the weaker leg an easy target to choose.

"I said I wanted to get rid of you? If I wanted that, I would have buried a dagger in your thigh. Wanted that, I would have cracked your worse leg with my cane. If I wanted that, would have taken a shorter route than just talking to you, and answering your questions." The Mul may not have been faster than some when it came to foot speed, he would never be the best sprinter, but endurance wise, few could match him. He need not outspeed anyone, for he could usually outpace them.

"Of course, if you have no more questions, nothing more to say, then it's possible we are done conversing. So unless you have something more to add...?" There was inquiry in the crimson eyes of the Mul as he raised both hairless brows again.
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:42 am

Wait, what had just happened there? First, the Mul had reiterated the most obvious of facts, that he possessed great physical superiority over Glenn. THEN, he perpetrated one of the worst absurdities in Myrken: he challenged Glenn Burnie to say something more. In fact, there was a little bit of surprise in the mapmaker's eyes. People didn't often ask him to go on. People didn't often need to.

No, he stood his ground. Ymir's words had only been suggestions of possibilities, not necessarily a threat. After a curt nod, Glenn continued. "If you wish to tarnish your own character through such an explanation, that is your decision. MY decision, however, is that I don't believe it and more importantly refuse to accept it. It is simply not good enough, Ymir. You try to tell me that you are taking an easy path, a path of least resistance, despite the hardship it places upon those who care about you? I find it FAR more likely that you are taking a path that weighs heavily upon your shoulders to, in your mind, protect those self-same people." When Burnie mentioned people, he generally had a specific person in mind, though, thanks to his associations, he could truthfully include upwards to three. It made it easier.

"Luckily for us, it doesn't matter which it is. All that matters is that you show some proper respect and stop it. You gave me an answer of why you've been avoiding them. I think it's unworthy of you or at least of their opinions of you, maybe of mine as well, not like you care about that part. But, if that's your answer, they deserve to have it as well." There was a slight pause as Glenn thought things over once again. Ymir really wasn't one to lie, and with that thought in mind, Glenn would soften a bit.

"What's the point of surviving if you're not living, Ymir? What's the point of being alive, of training, of travelling, of making it through the days, if there's no one to do it FOR? It's worth losing it all over and over again just to have it, even for just a little while. It's the definition of living, the only definition with any real worth." His tone was youthful but pained, belonging to one who had seen too much, too soon, and perhaps did not have the necessary seasoning to make sense of it all.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:45 pm

He listened to Glenn's words with some courtesy. Once the man was finished however, he moved to continue his walk towards Darkenhold. Whether it required him stepping around the man, or stepping to the side, the Mul could be agile when necessary, and with a quick step or two.

"You know I lied to you when we first met?" He simply arched a hairless brow as he sought to continue along the path. If it required multiple adjustments to step around a mapmaker that wanted him to stop, he would do so, rather than simply shove the man out of the way. "I never spent time in a prison on Hexal Isle, but that is not to say I did not spend time in captivity." His jaw set a little tighter, brows furrowed a little deeper. All those scars could have been easily explained by prison. "I lied to protect myself. You probably already know I lied though." He snuffed out a hot breath through flared nostrils. "This living you speak of. The way you make it sound so normal, is not for me. Not for my kind. We are bred for specific purpose, and we are unable to continue our unnatural combination of heritage. We do not live as normal people live, for there is no future for us. Nothing to fight for. We live as we were raised, with cruel indifference. The training I do. The travelling. Making it through the days is so that I may remain as free as I can, as long as I can. Unaccountable to either man, woman, or a number of either." His eyes roamed the alleyways, the ramparts of any walls, the treeline of any forests. It was either an intensely curious mind that was inside the mul, or a severely suspicious and paranoid one.

"Whether I speak words or not to these...people. They will be hurt with words, and hurt with silence. It matters not. I will not be remembered as anything but what I am."
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:39 pm

So he'll walk in front of Glenn, fine. Glenn can keep up beside him if that's what it'll take. To be honest, Glenn had not been fully convinced of the Hexal Island story but he had taken the man mostly for his word. He had not followed upon it one way or another. He respected his privacy or at least the integrity of a shifty deal. Perhaps a little of both.

"What a annoying, defeatist attitude, Ymir. Of course there's no future for you, not when you speak like that." There was something nearing disgust in Burnie's voice. "It's the tone of a man who doesn't deserve anything else, and that's simply not you. If you're not lying to me now, then you're lying to yourself, or perhaps to the entire world. You're bred for a purpose, raised to be a slave? Guess what, you coward of a Mul. So was I. Sold before birth. I may not look as you do. I may blend in, but it's not as I have your strength either. I worked within my limitations and my abilities and it was hard and I've seen my share of pain, just. like. you. Don't you DARE think otherwise! Yet I am here, and I'm trying every second of every day."

He would dash in front of the Mul once again, dash in front of him and stand his ground, drawing his blade. "As I said, Ymir. It doesn't matter if you're lying to me, or yourself, or anyone else. You might be toying with me, dismissing me. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you are going to give the people who care for you the respect they deserve. They will hurt either way, perhaps, but at the very least, they will get the answers they DESERVE. You will show them that much respect. Either you will offer them it freely or I will bleed it out of you." To Burnie's dubious credit, if his hand was shaking, it was out of youthful, self-righteous anger, not fear. It seems Ymir had struck a nerve.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Ymir » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Brows furrowed as the Mul stood in front of the mapmaker. He paid little attention to the man's weapon, but simply focused upon his eyes. "You cannot compare one slave to another. Your parents sold you into slavery. That was wrong. Mine were slaves already. From birth I bled, nearly each day, to gain strength, to survive. I had no dreams. Just the will to live. You may try to bleed me for what you wish, but you can see I've bled before. Bled enough for no reason, other than to drive up my hatred. My will to fight. I you think this will give you what you want, then you are welcome to try it." In truth, the Mul seemed relaxed in the face of this violent threat from the mapmaker. Likely the Mul could beat him, but it wasn't the point of the situation.

"Of course, you have to know that if you cut me. If you try and force me to do as you want me to do, then I'm just another slave to you. You're using force to make me do what you want. Telling me I'll bleed if I don't. That is what they would do." He snorted through flared nostrils as the bandaged hand of his right arm clenched. "I've suffered worse." His eyes narrowed as he regarded the mapmaker before him. "I am a Mul. I am neither dwarf, nor human, and mostly hated by both. I am an abomination to most dwarves. The same to most humans. To be feared when not needed, and used when I am. I have no people to call my own. I cannot have children. I was raised to kill without question." He took a step closer to the man's blade. "I serve no man. Noone is my master now. If you think it is easy for someone to change who they've been, most of their life, then you better strike now, before you find out the truth."

In the early morning light, the crimson of the half-breeds eyes were easy to see as they focused, nigh unblinkingly, upon the visage of the young mapmaker. He then began to speak once more, in a slow and deliberate manner. "I will suffer...the consequences of my own choices...in my own time." If Glenn struck, the Mul would not have much to do, save receive the blow. "As a free man, that is my right. That is all I have ever wanted. The choice."
Ymir

Postby Glenn » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Glenn would listen, but he would not move his blade. Neither would he strike nor sheath his weapon and back off. "Raised to do this. Bred to do that. A MUL. Excuses!" Finally he would strike, not at Ymir but at a spot a few inches to the left of his face, slashing at the air, angry. "Ones shattered in the face of self-awareness and experience. He who knows himself, who understands his instincts, can move past them. Understanding and desire. That is all that is necessary! Talk to a drow and she will be incapable of understanding, of sympathizing with another, of understanding how her instincts could ever be a bad thing. You are not that." Another slash at the air. Thinking of drow only fueled his anger.

"You are a sentient, a man, even if not a human. You are responsible for your actions. If choice, if FREEDOM of choice is so important to you... if you truly value your choices so much, then why in the name of all that is holy do you make choices that are so worthless and stupid! What is the point of fighting for the right to make a choice if you are just going to waste it! If you are just going to throw it away!" Burnie's gaze is hot now. Another slash in the air. And another. And then he would take a deep breath and spit right upon the Mul's shoe. "WERE I.. Were I to call you an abomination, it would be not for WHAT you are, Ymir, but for who you refuse to be." And then he would back up, finally sheathing the blade. "Pass, then, if that is your choice." He would go so far as to show the far larger man his back, so that he could do just that without even the threat of interference.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Downtown Myrkentown