Espial in Black.

Espial in Black.

Postby Kylerryth » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:40 pm

The possession of knowledge does not kill the sense of wonder and mystery. There is always more mystery.

In a room warded against eavesdropping, a discussion between a group of men occurred.

"The teahouse?" said one, his voice full of incredulity and touched by a viscous drop of scorn.

"Yes," replied a second man, sounding bored and disinterested. "He is still there, and leaves only to exercise and ride during the day while his whore is busy in the lower half of the building -- serving rather than servicing, mm?" A number of light but nasty chuckles.

"How exactly did this ... relationship, for lack of a better term, come to be?" asked the leader, his tone devoid of humor.

"I do not know the particulars, mm? But," added the second, "if I had to hazard a guess, I would say happenstance. He was smart -- clever and cunning, even -- but also somewhat naive, yes?" Murmurs of agreement. "It is possible he did not know into what he was walking. Regardless, now they are in a ... unique relationship, mm? It is what it is."

"No," the leader said with slow-rising heat in his voice, "it is not. This is a recipe for utter disaster. If word leaks to the wrong people and they discover the truth, I can't even begin to describe the scandal and shame that would follow." A pause, which no one dared to interrupt. Then: "What does he remember?"

"Nothing," the second answered.

"Nothing," the leader echoed.

"Nothing," the second repeated.

"I have seen him around town," interjected a third man, his sentence punctuated by the soft music of tiny silver bells. "He is going to the shops and sheds of various trades and crafts, and he tries his hand at each. The day before yesterday, he is sharpening scissors and knives for a vendor on the street. Before that, he is mending jackets and coats for a tailor. He is trying to learn what he is capable of, what he can and cannot do."

"I see," said the leader, his voice flat as a fresh plank. "Does he know he can channel? Does he know how?"

Silence. One man cleared his throat; another shifted his booted feet.

"Well?" inquired the leader, the question as gentle and dangerous as an assassin's promise in the dark.

"Yes," answered the second, finally. "And no, he does not know how. When I encountered him by the King's Circle, I sensed the Power in him, yes? He is as strong as I remember, maybe stronger -- we are like wine, mm? We better as we age." Another round of chuckles. "He made no indication, however, of sensing the Power in me. He could not tell I had a weave ready to destroy him and his ... companion. He wove no defenses against it. He did not even try to stop it, mm? So, no. I do not believe he remembers how."

"How is that even possible?" asked the leader in a wondering yet vexed tone. A moment of silence; and then, to the second man: "You told him about Aislinn and Mochrie."

"I did," the second said.

"Exactly what did you tell him?"

"They are no longer with us, mm? It is true. I mentioned the graves we found, as well."

"And Calael?" the leader inquired. "The manse?"

"I thought he might like a little time to absorb the first bit of news, yes?" the second replied with a hint of sarcasm. "We have time, I think. He does not yet remember anything of substance, else we would likely not be still sitting here, mm? But, I have taken the liberty of guiding him to us. I told him to seek us out here."

"Mm. I see."

Silence.

Then, from the leader to all of them: "Continue to observe him. Report any changes in behavior, small or large. Start a list of what skills he's developing; it may reveal a pattern of thought indicating specifically what he's trying to remember. Keep an ear to the ground, too -- we need to know if word of his return is spreading. Most important of all, however, don't be seen and don't interact with him. He must come to us, now. You may leave."

Nineteen men saluted, fists over hearts, and then departed the room.

After a few minutes, the leader rose and dissolved the ward against eavesdropping. He smoothed the shoulders and waist of his coat to ensure he was presentable, and then left to meet with and report to the Duke.

He had an increasing feeling the Duke would not like what he had to say.
I'll either find a way or make one.
Kylerryth

Return to Downtown Myrkentown