Of Excess, Restraint, and Golben

Of Excess, Restraint, and Golben

Postby Glenn » Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

The Governor's time was a precious commodity. Such things to do and so little time. Sleep was unfortunately necessary as well, and various social niceties of one sort of another. Some were pleasant but they were all a drain, on that could ill be afforded considering the current state of the province. Perhaps it was odd then that the man who, on paper at least, was the least essential of the Judiciary Councilors, would receive a missive early one Myrken morning that one Glenn Burnie would be paying him a visit later in the day at the Gilded Lily and that it was over a matter of some real import.

So long as no message was returned announcing Berdini's absence, the Governor would arrive later in the day clad in his fineries, sword always at his side. He was a creature of energy and motion, all, perhaps, save for his eyes which were an unnerving sea of calm. Still, there was much to do and he could only linger idly for so long. Hopefully, he would not be kept waiting at all.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: Of Excess, Restraint, and Golben

Postby Dulcie » Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Stefan Berdini had an impecable sense of timing, so much so in fact that when the Governor laid his hands upon the metal knocker to the office side of the theatre it was opened by the Councilor himself rather than one of the servants that usually attended to such mundane chores as answering doors.

"I received your missive Governor, please do come in. I've been meaning to contact you myself, but as you can see I haven't been in the condition to write a letter. I trust that you are already well aware of how I came to such injury, though I doubt that's what brings you to my door today. Please, do come in." He'd make a sweeping gesture with his good hand to motion Glenn inside, waiting until he had entered before he'd make his way through the dark candlelit hall towards the sitting room where he had entertained Glenn before. The Councilor himself seemed in good spirits, as always well dressed, though tonight he was sporting a sling that kept his injured arm well supported and close to his body. He was fortunate it was the only injury he had received.
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Wed May 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Glenn was all smiles. "Ah, Stefan." First name basis. They had been pleasant enough the last time they spoke, in the Dagger. Before that, though, a time or two before, he had come with very direct, striking words. Now, they had moved past those things, as if in an instant, and perhaps without the Councilor even being aware of it. Occasionally, Governor Burnie just decided these things and forced reality to confirm accordingly. "Thank you."

A lingering glance for that arm and perhaps a little tsk to go along with it. "There will be a reckoning soon." In truth, there was a certain usefulness to what happened. He almost wished he had orchestrated the whole thing and in some indirect ways, perhaps he had. That was not why he was here though. "I suggest you speak with Cinnabar Calomel on the matter, if you wish to pool resources and thoughts. He has a vested interest in the Teahouse, after all. I will, of course, be glad to offer what unofficial assistance I can in the moment and I do hope you forgive my direct conservatism as I weigh more official options. There are both personal and professional considerations to factor in." As in, arresting Kals for his probable role in the affair would be problematic on many levels.

A seat would be taken and the once-mapmaker would outright lounge in it. "And perhaps, Stefan, perhaps we'll come across a useful thought or two in our current conversation. We will simply have to see." A little pause. Was the magician going to offer a drink? If so, he could do it silently as Glenn spoke on. Or he could not. Burnie's was ready to trample forward. "I find myself with a very particular need. And I hope that you will help me meet it."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Wed May 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Glenn would be ushered into one of those fine, plush wing backed chairs, the sitting room an almost gaudy version of elegance with the rich colored velvet tapestries on the wall and all the gold coloring that had been added to the mirrors and the candleabra's. It seemed that drinks had already been poured before they entered the sitting room and Stefan would motion for Glenn to take one of the glasses of red wine that was sitting there, sliding carefully into a seat himself as he picked up his own glass in his less dominant hand, doing surprisingly well and managing to hold it.

"I will most definitely speak with this Mister Calomel. I have the utmost respect for the tea house as an establishment and find it most disappointing to see it in such shambles. And the poor ladies, I'm certain they were terrified completely from their wits. It was quite lucky that the beast didn't harm them as well. But enough of that then I think. Do tell me, what is this need of yours?"

It was possible that Stefan might have sounded even a little eager to be meeting some need of the Governor's. Having such a strong political figure as an ally was ever so important after all.
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Wed May 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Glenn a long look into the glass before him before offering the older man a slight shrug of thanks, not a nod, not words, but a shrug and then taking just the slightest sip. He rarely drank in excess anymore. It had been a very long time since he had been drunk even a little. Control was key, and it was especially key here and now. "I hope.. no I think you'll like this, Stefan. You see, I find myself adrift and alone in the world currently. I am in need of a confidant. My beloved Rhaena, while truly the light of my life, does not have the stomach for what I need. My bodyguard, whom I would usually use for such a thing, made a slight mistake, the tiniest of things... he flew far too close to the sun, and now he is convalescent and will remain so for a good while, I imagine."

If Burnie was affected by his bodyguard's current state, he gave little indication, just mild bemusement as he joked of it poetically. "Thus, I find myself in need of an intelligent, imaginative, truly open-minded soul, and I think you fit that description utterly."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Wed May 09, 2012 2:56 pm

The illusionist was an excellent listener, taking in every detail no matter how sincere or insincere any of it happened to be he would note every word, every mannerism all while sitting there and drinking from his glass of wine. The discussion of needing a confidant intrigued him and he would loft a brow slightly at the suggestion before he would move to set the glass of wine down carefully in front of him, his good hand steadying it at the base as he considered what Glenn was saying.

"One should be careful about having confidants my Governor." He would caution, a tiny hint of a wry smile curling up at the edge of his lips as he regarded him. "But you have not made an unwise decision in offering such trust to me. You will find that I am as much a gentleman in such regard as I am in all things. But I must admit that I am intrigued that you are plagued with such darkness that you cannot tell it to your beloved. Am I to believe that the reputation of Glenn Burnie is not as polished as it seems?" It was not an accusation by any means, it was a curiousity.
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Wed May 09, 2012 3:16 pm

"Oh, Stefan." A little laugh, perhaps the sharpest sheer emotion the magician had seen out of the Governor. He went so far as to rub at his eyes, the smile still upon his cheeks. "Oh, Stefan. Let me put it this way, to begin. There is no one else I think I would rather speak about this than you. I don't think anyone else would understand. You do not, as of yet, but I am confident you will."

Another little swish of the wine in the glass, a little swish and then a larger one, quicker and more dangerous, the liquid rising perilously to the top, but always just missing spilling over. "Humanity. In this land of monsters and downtrodden, of desperate men and the truly unthinkable, no one is more human than I." The smile remained but his tone was steady now. "Polish. That is a very good word, Stefan, very good, for that is what I am, polished. Precise, exact. One cannot govern Myrken without control, over them, over myself, over eventualities far and wide and horrific. So, I have... excesses and urges, and I control them."

He spoke on, his teeth strikingly white as he smiled. "I am a student, ultimately, of human nature, of monsters, of Myrken. This is my life's work, and I know what our dear province needs better than anyone. It is my life to know just that, and my calling to make sure it comes to be, but occasionally, occasionally I am stricken by that same fever as all the others here. Oh, we have been through so very much. It is as you said. The tarnish under the polish. And I hold it back, the beast inside, the Wood. I control it, and sometimes, Stefan, sometimes, it builds up and MUST be respected, must be... catered to." For such strong words, he was the definition of calm, hardly feral at all. This was simply matter-of-fact. "What makes me stand out is that unlike Bromn or Helstone, when I have such urges, I direct them towards the good of Myrken, the good of MY Myrken." Again, nothing wild. Instead just focused, Firm.

"And Stefan," The swishing ended now, and he took a very long sip of that wine. "This has built up so much. Now, now I must do something for myself, and for My Myrken. Shall you hear it?" A lapse, but one that he would control as best he could, that he would minimize the damage of and maximize the benefit. "Tell me, Councilor. What do you know of Golben?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Wed May 09, 2012 3:42 pm

"I wonder what it is about me that qualifies for this level of confidence, but please do go on." He couldn't resist a good tale, though he certainly knew that the Governor would have a reason behind his selection and he was eager to determine what that purpose was through one means or another. The wine would swirl in Glenn's glass, but Berdini's own would simply sit there as he watched him curiously, listening to the tale of the beast in the woods and the tarnish beneath the polish.

"Such is the curse of men my Governor. Surely this is nothing new to you." But then he had him at the Golben pit. "I know very little of it actually, beyond it's mere presence. I'm afraid I don't venture out much to explore the things that lack in the fine beauty of arts and talent. A short coming of mine I suppose, I prefer the many walls of the theatre to the great outdoors. I believe that you intend to tell me more however, so please don't let me keep you from it."
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Thu May 10, 2012 9:21 am

The governor had said more than enough, in his last visit and already in this one, about why Stefan Berdini was the perfect man for this particular job, the job being to shoulder these words from the youthful Burnie before him. There would be no other hints given, not yet at least. Perhaps, that would come with the true purpose of this talk. For now, though, wine was sipped and a cool, steady gaze stayed upon the magician. If there was a smouldering fury within the leader of Myrken Wood, it was staying dormant.

"It's simple really, Stefan." Again, such familiarity, strange, perhaps, for men who had only spoken a handful of times. But then Burnie was such a student of so many things. "A colony of mages," what sort was unimportant. "Power run astray. They too, flew too close to the sun, The closest town, Golben, was destroyed along with them. All that remains is a pit, a couple of miles wide and perhaps half a mile deep." It was all that need be said, a proper introduction. "This is how I mean to cater to my excesses. I mean to build something there, something very special."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Thu May 10, 2012 9:39 am

More than enough indeed, but Stefan would carefully file away each fact and detail, only taking a moment to drink when the Governor drinks as well, watching him over the rim of the glass.

"Ah yes, mages of course. I'm afraid I know very little of magical influence, but it seems to relate to what I can understand of the subject. It's very easy for power to run away with some people. A caution to be told I imagine." There would be more wine and more watching. He was clearly intrigued, waiting to see where the Governor was going with this whole matter.

"And what sort of excesses do you intend to cater to Good Governor?"
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Thu May 10, 2012 12:55 pm

"In truth, I can hardly be blamed." The very height of innocence in governance, one Glenn Burnie. He was perhaps overdoing just a little bit with that almost immature smile, before his features shifted, though far more to resigned than serious. "I did everything that could possibly be expected of a man in my position. Do you know," back to playing with the wine lazily as he reclined in his chair," that I even contacted your predecessor, the previous Councilor of the Arts. Sylvius Duquense is many things, but one of them, hardly first or foremost or even most interesting, but there nonetheless, is an expert architect. Do you know of him?"

A dismissive hand. In the end it really didn't matter, so he attempted to halt the current Councilor's answer. "In short, I tried to commission a design for a new Gaol."

That little tsk once again, a little shake of his head. "He never responded to my missives."

Tragic, really, and the governor would let that unfortunate thought hang there for a few long seconds, idly sipping his wine with a little shrug. "There is an artistic element to this, Stefan, but that is not why I'm here. Still, let's pretend. Our government has come into a certain sizable amount of funds recently, a rather peculiar side effect to the draining of the lake," and perhaps all of the metal that Aleksei had obtained with Zillah's fairy gold, put to a secret and dubious but very lucrative use through fourth and fifth parties. "What if we could combine our needs: Myrken needs a Gaol to place our enemies, especially certain unsavory pests. We have a giant, unseemly pit, a dreadful marring of our lovely countryside and a wretched reminder of the magic lurking ever so close. We desperately need a creation of artistic value, something of glory and value, something to impress. And yes, my friend, I do ever so need to scratch my itch." The very last of the wine would be imbibed with a satisfied sigh as if it was the best scratching of that itch he could manage in this immediate moment.

"Do you know... it's been ages since we had a nice, employment raising public works project?" Since the Wall and in some ways that was the very start of Myrken's current prosperity, not that Burnie would claim as he mainly only provided certain surveying footwork for the project. He could not take credit for it.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Fri May 11, 2012 1:09 pm

The Governor would recline and so would the gentleman, carefully crossing the ankle of one leg over his knee as he took his wine glass, taking another drink as he listened carefully. Words about his predecessor and his talent for architecture seemed to draw his intrigue, the glass pausing and then settling to rest against his thigh as he looked back over at the other gentleman.

"I haven't met the good gentleman no, but it does sound as if we could have gotten along quite famously." His attention was far more focused as he seemed to understand where this was going now. The idea of cages for unwanted pests was far more intriguing than being party to the Governor's inner trials. Yes, this was something worth attending to. "It might serve you to know my good Governor that I have something of a hand for construction of such things myself. The acts of illusion require a number of intriguing contraptions. I must admit, your concept sounds most inspiring." Glenn had him hooked now, and the Councilor would quiet enough to continue listening to the governor's plan.

"A public works project, yes, that's quite true isn't it? A terrible shame to have so many fine, strong young men out of work. Do tell me Governor, what do you have envisioned in particular?"
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Sat May 12, 2012 2:16 am

Burnie knew a thing or two about showmanship. He had drawn elements of this conversation out, had laid out enough clues for Berdini to truly suspect what he had in mind. No wonder the magician's interest was piqued. Indulgent? Excess? All of that and more, but the governor was walking into this with a very aware mind. "A Labyrinth, Stefan. I mean for us to build a labyrinth in Golben to encase and beguile the monsters that prey upon the good denizens of Myrken Wood."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Dulcie » Sat May 12, 2012 7:19 am

The bait was readily taken and Stefan nodded slowly. "A Labryinth? Well that's quite the undertaking isn't it. A challenge that I would most certainly be up to. I should perhaps sometime share with you some stories from the King that I served prior to arriving in Myrken, though I do think that they would better be shared on another day. I do have a number of good, strong trustworth men who could help me in this task. They don't speak the language of this town which perhaps might serve your purpose. To my understanding there are a number of people in the township who actually support the presence of these monsters. I would hate to see any sort of uprising about the idea."

He would take a moment then to finish his wine, moving to set the empty glass carefully on the table. "You will most certainly have my aide in this matter. Are there any other details you would care for me to know before I begin planning it?"
Dulcie

Postby Glenn » Mon May 14, 2012 6:54 am

It was out there, in the air, made tangible, made real. Before it had been a notion, a whimsy, a story, not even a possibility, but he had found his Councilor here, and the man had been open, had been reasonable, had been ready to listen. Stefan Berdini was a man of secrets, and now he was a man who held one more. It was enough to keep the tiniest of smiles upon the Governor's face. "It is, dear Stefan, an impossibility." A weight was gone from Burnie now. It was in the aether, spiraling seeds cascading near and far, ready to take seed. A plan unfolding. A wonder unveiling.

"Absolutely an impossibility. The resources, the skill, the people, the support. Oh, the things we will need, and we'll have to do it right. Because it MUST be done. You see that, no?" One hand ran through his neat hair, mussing it but only slightly. "A pit, an absence. The twisted destruction that magic had wrought. We must fill it. With human ingenuity, with all the imagination and creative energy that we can muster." Three times he would tap a finger upon his head. "Something to keep Myrken safe and special forever more. Something remarkable that WE make. A puzzle that sheer, bestial, preternatural power will not be able to conquer, something that only cleverness and civility can overcome."

Then, finally, that hand dropped, to halt the conversation again, so that he may continue. " But without disruption. Myrken's economy must be bolstered by this, not hindered. Its people must be bespirited, their hearts uplifted. I will not sacrifice my people in its construction. My excess, my lapse, must ultimately serve Myrken in all ways. This is our task. With that in mind, I still have your support in this, Stefan? For I desperately need it. No other, I fear, could properly understand all that I have presented to you today."

Yet despite that, there was no desperation, no uncomfortable pressure. Any agitation from early in the conversation was utterly gone now.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Downtown Myrkentown