Trouble

Trouble

Postby Lent » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 am

"Hnn." The Detective Constable took a sip. Headaches. Lots of headaches. Headaches and demons, but no demon in his head. Snowstill was busier now. Refugees in the cold. New people over the border. Can't trust any of them. Demon spies from Thessilane. Hiding at Snowstill. Clever. They knew. Didn't matter. He'd get his holy water there. Priorities. Head ached but throat didn't burn, no more than usual. Wasn't a demon. A sigh of relief. He'd raise his flask to the candlelight. Look at it, the way it shimmered.

No, not look. Listen. It was a good man before him. McCoy. Arthur McCoy. Father of Charles. You owe him this, Lentham. You owe him his son. Can't give that back. At least listen. You owe him that.

"It's the principle, Detective! The principle of it. My late wife's jewels were hard earned. And while I no longer have a legacy to pass them on to, the sheer effrontery of someone waltzing in and taking what they want of them. I've supported the Constabulary as much as anyone, Lentham." His own flesh and blood, given up as a sacrifice in the name of justice. "This won't stand. It's not just me either, of course. This isn't just a personal matter." Arthur Mccoy's hamhocks of hands pressed against each other, large arthritic fingers interlacing with tiny, unpleasant, barely audible cracks. "It's been across town, nobles and merchants both. Small trinkets, usually, no matter how well guarded. A skimming off the top. And two figures seen escaping, a boy, occasionally illuminated by a strange lantern, and then sometimes, but not always, a woman, pale."

Boy and a woman. Skimming off the top. "Hn." Another sip. Not much to go off of. Some urchin getting cheeky. Pushing his luck. Was a circus in town too. That sort of folk. Refugees too. Lots of people with need.

"A pale woman," The elder McCoy continued. "And they say," his face wrenched up, for he was not a superstitious man. "they say she has the tail of a demon."

A loud clang rang throughout the room. Detective Constable Kurt Lentham had dropped his flask.
Lent

Return to Downtown Myrkentown