A Rare Meeting Without Memorable and Violent Disruptions

Re: A Rare Meeting Without Memorable and Violent Disruptions

Postby Vanidor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:06 am

"You know he has every right to his pride. Just as you do to yours." Kerrak would watch the man another moment longer, then nodded. "Both of you took something that was broken and in need of repair and did something with it. Made it better. He took a nation wracked by civil war and unified it behind his banner. Most of his enemies in the region are exiled or dead. I know I made certain of a few of them." Those few years after the last battle at Orvere, not the event with Jorn but the previous one, had been full of bloodshed. Quite a few people died in their sleep thanks to Kerrak and the Companions.

"You. Look at what you have done to Myrken in such a short time, hrm? You have spoken to those who have lived here for ages. Aside from Catch, and that nasty business with Aeryn, when was the last incursion of dark nonsense? The Drow, as insidious and vile as they are, have left us alone. There are no monsters randomly slaying the people. Sure, you stand on the foundations started by others, but it is because you took the initiative." Kerrak only had vague memories of Calomel, the very wisps of them. Here he is waving a hand.

"And you, like him, draw people to you. Oh, you may have coerced a few of them into service, but there are others yes? That serve because it is right? I am even sure a few of them actually like you for it as well." A grin with that, slight and humorous. "Anyway. Sorry if it offends to be likened to the Hawk, Mister Burnie. It is not meant as a slight... So then. Meadowford it is. It may be nice to visit there again, aside from one, the skills of the tailors here are not quite up to my satisfaction." Again that wry smile.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:21 am

There was a slight, quiet glint in Burnie's eyes, easy to miss. Thankfully, there was something of it in his voice as well, a low intensity. "Imagine what I could do with a hundred channelers?" But it was mainly to show the difference in resources. The governor was averse to magic and averse to channelers most of all. He was likely to send them over the ocean in a leaky boat as much as anything else. Surely, Kerrak knew that. "Well, you get the idea."

Instead, he shook his head. It was only a momentary lapse, really. "There's so much more to do, Kerrak. This is a road that's been traveled down before, here, elsewhere, a thousand places, a thousand times, and in almost all of them, it's a road that is never finished, a road that leads nowhere. People care about Myrken, they want to fight for it. That's always been true. This place is the very end of the world, the middle of nowhere, where hope comes to die. It's where anyone can find a new start, a second chance, and all it will cost them is everything that they are or have ever been or ever could be. I've seen a few wonders that you'd even have a hard time believing, Kerrak, but none of them stand to this bedamned place. People have always fought for it. I just know who they are and how to make them work together instead of against one another," even if none of them fully realized that they were working together. "And perhaps not even that well," just enough.

"My predecessor was a good man, a better man than I," Burnie spoke as if Calomel was dead. Instead, he was mostly retired. It was basically the same thing on a practical level. "A lawman, a man of order even if it took a little chaos to reach it," though just a little. "You left his presence and he told you 'Mind How you Go,' his motto, if you would, the motto for his reign: Be careful. Your actions have consequences. We'll be watching and waiting. Be safe. Do not do anything foolish. Watch your step for your sake and for ours. It was a good motto, but it's not mine."

He would finish that milk, almost reluctantly. It was about as strong as anything he wanted Kerrak drinking, but Glenn was not a mad channeler. "This is Myrken, Kerrak. We work with what we have." It could be as simple as that and perhaps it would not be too bad, but Myrken was never so simple. "And we do whatever works. Meadowford, then. Keep me informed. That's what I ask most of all. We need to step forward in unison."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:34 am

Kerrak nodded some, then returned to his shelf. Another book was picked up, this one thing with heavy covers. It is brought to the table and opened, from within it he removes a bottle of brandy and a pair of finger-length glasses. Both of these are set down, and both rapidly filled. This book is placed ontop of the other. Here, Glenn could say, was that they were the same. Though one had a thicker binding than the other. Both nonsense titles. Kerrak wouldn't deface a real book, come now. "Derrik the Dragonslayer" was a good place to hide something, since it was a tale that didn't exist, at least to his knowledge.

"Here then. I try not to imbibe much, it keeps my head clearer, but sometimes things need to be done properly. Amasynian, that. Laid in the barrel for thirty years, if I recall the merchant saying. Quite... robust." That was saying much. The bottle was barely touched, truth be told. Kerrak paused a moment, allowing Glenn the time to acquire his cup, or not if that was his desire. There WAS always the milk.

"Here is to roads traveled, Mister Burnie. May they be trod to completion. And to Myrken, in all her dark glory, may we walk her in unison. You, me, and whomever else you have corralled into your plans." A grin for that, the cup raised a slight bit, and he would drain the glass.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:55 am

A bark of laughter from the Governor, something rare these days. It was more exasperated than anything else. "It's a pattern, Kerrak. Of course you destroyed all the records. Look at what you do to those poor books. I am seconds away from pulling tomes off the shelves at random."

It was an empty threat, however, and he took the cup instead, filled it with the liquid.

"To that and Myrken Wood, then, and to second chances," a pointed look. "For we do not always get third ones."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Previous

Return to Downtown Myrkentown