A Rare Meeting Without Memorable and Violent Disruptions

A Rare Meeting Without Memorable and Violent Disruptions

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Some things were far too long overdue. The Governor's life was all too full of distractions, all too full; he had a staff that dealt with so much, but certain recent events had interfered with his budding powers of delegation. He had been drawn into certain investigations, necessary ones, ones with far too many questions, the ones that gripped him so viscerally. It meant certain other matters, important matters, slipped.

At the first sign of the events in Derry finally culminating, he should have gone to Kerrak. No, even before then. After the book, when he received the letter from Burel. A dozen times. It simply hadn't been the right moment. Ariane's return had complicated matters considerably. Now though, there was no more time to wait. Things would come to a head sooner than not if he didn't stop them and Kerrak's knowledge, experience, and opinion would be essential in the Governor's decisions to come. Unless, of course he disagreed with Burnie. At that point he'd be duly ignored for the good of all. It was the traditional way for the head of the Myrken Wood government to deal with such things.

For now, though, it was a house call. He'd offered to replace Kerrak's servants after the unfortunate incident with the fake Jons. His people. Trustworthy. At the very least, he'd not see Kerrak without some comfort and assistance. It had been completely up to the Committee-member whether or not he took Burnie up on that though.

Regardless, now, months later, here was the Governor waiting to be announced.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: A Rare Meeting Without Memorable and Violent Disruptions

Postby Vanidor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:21 am

The gift of personal, and perhaps loyal, servants from the Governor would have been politely declined of course. Kerrak, while displaced, was still a man of some importance to certain people. Not that he allowed THEM access to him either, of course, but it meant that he could get the sort of help that he desired. Old Tamlen, a servant of the al'Nerun family for more decades than Kerrak had been alive (in both iterations). Keiri, also of Almarkian stock (proper, as she and Tamlen would put it), knew how to make the soups and meals that he had grown up with (she was also prettier than Tam by a fair margin). And there was Belg. Belg was Belg.

It was Belg, newly arrived to Myrken and into Kerrak's service, that would answer the door. Tall for a dwarf, the man stood somewhere nigh four and a half feet, and was probably as wide across the shoulders. His great beard, a mass of coal black hair and dozens of bronze ornaments, would shake some as he challenged Glenn's knocking upon Kerrak's relatively simple door. Not with words, mind, but with a STARE. Beady eyes would peer at the Governor, before breath would huff against a wide mustache. "Mmgn. Early for this sort o'visit, ain't it?"

Not that he'd leave the Governor out on the front stoop. Indeed, he'd motion for the man and any entourage to enter the yard and motion to the actual front door. Which was also open, and had a relatively wide-mouthed Tamlen standing in the doorway. He knew who Glenn Burnie was as well, and one did NOT just grunt and huff (at least so he'd say). In anycase, this Belg would bow slightly, catching Tam's look, though he would say naught else and simply close the door onto the street behind. Here, Tamlen would take over.

If by take over one meant fussing over the Governor, asking if he was hungry, could they send anything to the study. Which was, by the by, where Kerrak was currently taking his ease. There was tea already there, but wine could be sent up if he wished? The study was, he'd mention, at the top of the stairs, second arch on the left. Fuss, fuss. And he'd let the man do what he wanted from there. There was a guest to pamper (and there were so few guests to the al'Nerun hold)!

If, by chance, Glenn took it upon himself to head up those stairs, he would indeed find Kerrak in his study. Not awake, as it happened, but snoozing in an over large chair that was set next to the fireplace. There is a thick book in his hands, open and pressed against his torso. A tray sits on a short table, the thing joined by two also relatively comfortable looking chairs. The tray has dried apples, dried for winter and looking a little small, a bowl of oatmeal and a half pitcher of milk. Two glasses as well, one obviously used.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 am

Ariane, had, of course, changed everything. Before, Glenn would have never even offered servants. Kerrak knew what it was, of course. One part kindness, three parts duplicity, but that the Governor was so open about it meant that it was a sign of respect. It also meant that Glenn felt that the board had changed and it was another way of letting the former Councilor know that. In fact, there was a great deal of communication between one man and the other which didn't involve any communication at all.

It wasn't as if he felt that he controlled Renea in any major way. There was much room to debate whether or not he felt he controlled Agnieszka. To hear him talk, it would be the opposite. She was a force of chaos, something to shake things up when necessary, a storm unleashed at key moments. Of course, Glenn said a lot of things. It was perhaps, another way he showed respect to Kerrak, by not talking to him much. No, for Renea, it was her lack of knowledge and experience of Myrken that made her less dangerous a blade, that made her more effective a shield. Unfortunately she was a shield that covered too widely and her lack of knowledge led to her undoing.

And then Ariane was forced, through all fault of his own, into the breach and everything changed. So servants had been offered and now, here he was. Burnie went everywhere with his sword. He was the Governor and he was a target. He was a man with enemies and a man who had spent a month of his life trapped in Underdark. He looked at the sleeping Kerrak, sword at his side, and he could end things very, very quickly. One less threat. A safer Myrken. It wouldn't be as simple as it looked, but he had the advantage and he could manage it, this student of that swordswoman.

It wasn't his way. Why waste a resource just because it was dangerous? Everything in Myrken was dangerous and Kerrak, despite the personal insult that came with the destruction of the Meeting House and the papers within, was a resource. So few of the dangerous ones truly were. "It's been years since I fell asleep while reading. I look forward to being old enough to manage it again." Pleasant wishful thinking, to reach such an age. Also, a terrible greeting, but there it was.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 pm

It is Glenn's musing that brings Kerrak 'round. Eyes opening slightly to peer at the man over the smooth panels of his face. A slight snorting noise is made in response to the jab about age, it being the only thing he really heard from the man. He remains there in his seat, slumped somewhat as he was, lips compressing a notch or two before hands heft the thick tome. It is an oft read thing, by the look of it. How it had survived his earlier madness is a good question, but it was a favourite book of his. Not that he'd say. Instead, he'd toss it at Glenn, fairly sure the man would be able to catch it.

"Only as old as the woman you feel at night, Glenn. Which, however, could be the reason you want to nap during the day, eh?" After a moment, whether Burnie caught the book or not, Kerrak would push himself to his feet. It was the least he should do for such an event. He was also on guard, to a degree. The last time the Governor had been in his house, Kerrak had been bleeding - dying perhaps - and Glenn and Rhaena had decided to peruse the darker pieces of his brain. Not a totally unpleasing experience, but he'd rather THAT not happen again. So, hands will smoothen out the loose shirt he wears (brushing off bread crumbs, as it were), then opens his arms somewhat to either side.

"Now then, what brings you, my dear, good friend, Glenn Burnie, to my house? Certainly not cucumber sandwiches and tea?" He will, however, give Glenn a wide enough smile. It was the sort that Ariane would know, certainly. There was as much mockery in that smile for Kerrak as there was for Glenn. A glimmer of the old al'Nerun, that was rather jovial. Before the madness and paranoia had set in.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm

"I'd be lying if I wasn't morbidly curious just what woman you're feeling in bed these days, Kerrak." This was said with a smile, a surprising one, perhaps. "Unfortunately, there are pleasantries, and that truly, sincerely, does not count as one. Let's never speak of it again." For a moment it seemed as if the smile would shift to a grin, something youthful. It does not.

This was business, the worst sort. War at their borders. At least it was better than demons. Those had been sorted between Aleksei, Aeryn and Lamai and Burnie, Niall and the book. Not that they were not still underneath the skin, not still out there in some degree, but it wasn't as pressing as before. Myrken rarely allowed someone to deal with one threat at a time. Regardless, Kerrak had been reported to on most of those matters.

No, this was something else, lest the Governor might not even be here personally. "Burel. Kostroma. Derry. What comes next. I'd like your personal opinion, both of the situation and of the Duke. Agnieszka knows Kostroma. I know what Ariane feels," and it shaped his own opinion more than anyone knew. "But I'd like some confirmation of my feelings on this matter before we commit in any particular direction. If you think tea and floofy sandwiches will help us get to that point, by all means send for them."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:45 am

"Floofy sandwiches." Kerrak would laugh at that softly, then shook his head. Onto business then, though Kerrak would certainly have preferred otherwise. The man would sit, the chair screeching beneath him some with the motion. "You have your questions. I have to wonder if Agneiszka would have told you some of my beliefs already. At least how things were back when I knew the man for truth."

Kerrak would lean forward, pouring himself a measure of milk and then glancing at Glenn. He'd pour the glass anyway, leaving it for the man if he wanted it. Milk. Perhaps the man was going soft. "If you want my understanding of things, then know that Burel made a Promise." Kerrak would be sure to emphasize the word. "To both his wife, and if I understand correctly, to you. More importantly, he made that promise to the people here. They may not remember it, but I am certain he does. And if there is one thing about the man, he is... He does not break them easily."

"As for the war? Well, as your questions about that, and I will you what I am able. But know that my knownledge is years out of date." Kerrak can only smile ruefully at that.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:05 am

The Governor would soften a bit from his stance of floofy sandwiches and.... milk. He can't even remember the last time he had milk. He wasn't the drinker that he had been before Underdark, no, but still even Rhaena did not have much milk. If she wasn't in her current state, he wasn't either. That said, he rather approved of Kerrak having milk instead of spirits. Best to keep the man sober and not on fire, right? "I'm sorry that I don't actually come by, Kerrak, unless things are dire. I meant to after the whole demon incident with the book, but then the Marshall came back from the dead and Ariane came back and.." These were not the things he usually admitted, but it was a damned sad sight to see him drinking milk like that. Even Burnie had his limits. "You know what it's like, keeping Myrken afloat. I'll try to rectify that in the future. There's rather a good deal to learn from you I do think and it needn't all be business all the time." Though expectations did need to be managed.

"Agony hasn't told me much, not when it comes to you. Her memory isn't always what you'd want it to be. So much head trauma, that girl. I've never seen her with a helmet on." He'd look to the milk once more and shrug slightly, finally taking the glass and sipping of it. "Sometimes the memory thing works out in one's advantage, mind you. Most often it just means you argue about the same things over and over." It might just be a trick on Agnieszka's part because she loses so many of those damn arguments but never wants to admit it. Glenn had his theories about the matter. "I would hear your opinions nonetheless."

Burnie would listen, with his milk in hand, as Kerrak explained. He'd nod. "I think that it neither makes tactical sense nor personal sense for Burel to try to take Myrken." Of course the Governor had very little experience when it came to actual tactics. He'd read his books and discussed things with Ariane and Cinnabar and others, but this was actually something where he knew Agnie had an advantage over him. On the other hand, he did know geography, real and artificial. "There is a rather fine line between taking a place and liberating it, however, of doing something to a people and doing it for them. Therein lies the concern."

As for what had already occurred, he'd nod. "I may have more answers than you, then. If you have any questions, ask them."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:46 am

"There has always been a... Plan, I guess you could say. Huah. I probably should not even be telling you this, but I wager dying relieves you of SOME obligations..." He paused, lips compressed as he eyed the cup of milk, then danced his eyes back towards Glenn. Kerrak would tilt his head some, trying to remember details that rightfully should have remained in his past. "The only thing Myrken was to us on the General Staff was a roadway... Any assault would have been directed at the militia barracks and as quickly as possible, if at all. I think Burel always had the idea that Myrken would remember how much he had assisted them in times of trouble. How much Thesil grain and ore and other sundry supplies had come here over the years of drought and whatever other nonsense Myrken liked to throw at it's people."

Kerrak laughed at that softly. "Well. Maybe if he hadn't prodded the Crown first, and it had been the other-way around, I guess that may have been a true belief. We'll never know, since that's not how it happened as I understand it." He will pause to sip at his milk. It was a thing he enjoyed, actually. Milk. It was a simple drink for all intents. But it reminded him of simpler times. And sometimes that was all you needed in order to continue on during rough events. "But now? I had to sit and look for a good long while to try and understand what he and the Staff are thinking. Were I him, the Aegis would be opening portals down to the south... They can do that you know, and tearing down whatever walls Chedwry has, and leaving it at that. Why muck around with... With this?" He will move aside the tray, pitcher and dishes rattling some.

Under it is a small map, of the sort that offers in the field may carry. Glenn may recognize bits and pieces of it as his own, earlier work, along with some things added in that Kerrak knew of (or did once, anyway) and had put in place for considerations. There are slight charcoal marks where various lines and arrows had been drawn in at one point. "Why wait?" Kerrak stopped, lips pursing again. The cup of milk is eyed, but he's finding that he'd rather get at the bottle of brandy hiding in one of the thicker books on the shelf.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 am

"Mixed loyalties. You, Agnieszka, Ariane. My wonderful defense committee." Agnie was tied to the crown. Kerrak had his ties to Thessilane. Ariane was the Lady of Darkenhold, though that was even the least of her ties. "We work with what we have." When it came to Kerrak, he might not always tell Glenn all that knew but he would make decisions with that knowledge in mind. It was an indirect use of the information but one that Burnie still valued.

"As I understand it, the crown has certain resources that it likes to keep near home. Meanwhile, Burel must know that if he escalates things too much, they'll turn back from that reluctance and we'll end up with a hundred Golbens." Burnie took another sip of the milk, trying not to grin, despite himself, at the thought of what was nearing completing at Golben. His lapse. A momentary thing, best countered with more wholesome milk. "I hold Burel to his world. It would be small of him to come now when he's let so many other threats to Myrken pass, after he let us decide our face even in the face of horror. It would be foreign adventurism or worse. That said, we have to avoid two things:

"The first is ending up deeper in this. If the crown occupies Myrken, then Burel will come. The second is that things escalate to the point that one magic is fully unleashed against another. When it comes to that, our options are more limited, but if they scour the continent that is, as you understand, bad for Myrken." There was a small smile, but just a small one. "In sort, I intend for us to play both sides against the middle in order to achieve our aims. Whatever gains we make on top of that is just hazard pay in the face of danger we did not ask for."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:27 pm

"Mixed loyalties, Mister Burnie? Well, perhaps to a degree. I left my past behind when I came back, but I will uphold the confidences that I remember. That being said, I will use that information to make sure Myrken is kept safe. If the Crown ever does decide they want to assume control, then I will worry about Burel attacking us. And then I will take, with your permission of course, whatever forces we have to stop him. And the Crown, for that matter. Just... Hopefully without a hundred Golbens." Kerrak was sitting upright here, the empty cup of milk clenched in a relatively tight fist.

"I tell you. I think the Duke is waiting for the Crown to make a move, prod him in whatever way they choose, so he can see what they can do. Everyone already knows what the Aegis can do. We all know they COULD have torn down the bloody walls of Wrexham if they really wanted too. Torn down the walls and thrown the pieces all the way to Rasazan." The cup is put down, fingers flexing something. Here, he'll peer at Glenn again. "Whatever you plan, I hope it keeps the two of them from unleashing their special sort of madness at one another, let alone at us. I rather like it here, you know. When the natural horrors and other shit is taking a break from molesting us."

"I would do anything to keep it that way, you know. Burn the Crown, chastise the Duke. Whatever it took." There's a glint to the channeler's eyes there. Almost mischievous, certainly dangerous. "We Almarkians, like our Thesil neighbors, take our promises VERY seriously."
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:47 am

"Kostroma has limited influence in Razasan. If he had more, he wouldn't be here." That was as simple as logic went. Oh, there were worst postings, Ghreu Fenn, perhaps, but they were few and far between. "If he had more, he'd either be in Derry, trying to retake it, on the Thessil border through Heath, or back home causing problems for everyone who just wants to make an honest (or dishonest) bit of coin. This is, to put it simply, of all the places he could position himself, where he thought he could have the most effect."

A smile, a raise of his hand, even as he put that milk glass down. "You'll forgive me. I get ahead of myself. There's not much we can influence on either side through troop movement through action, but we are a nexus of people here in Myrken. It will be on the human level, the personal, that we'll be able to move things here, first and foremost, at least. We'll have to stretch past that, you see. Our ability to influence the crown through its people are limited. It won't be about burning the crown or chastising the Duke, however. A good deal of subterfuge though, yes." Then, musing aloud. "I really do need to send Rhaena back to Razasan. There's much to do there and even more to learn."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Kerrak eases back into his chair some, taking a breath and composing himself. "Apologies then. I take dim view of people threatening something that I have come to care for. I think you can understand." Lips are licked, and the pitcher of milk eyed again. Subterfuge. Yes, that was certainly a thing that could be done against either side. The Light knows Kerrak had done it many times in the past. He stands then, moving away from the table and to a set of shelves. Here, he plucks a book from amongst the others and hefts it.

"Subterfuge. Well, I certainly knew... Well, know that is, a thing or two about that. If you have not already started your own little network, let me start one for you. I ran the Thesil one for quite a while, and I am sure there are still people who owe me favours." He certainly seemed to have calmed himself by now, especially as he opens the book in hand and peers into it. No need to turn and show it to Glenn, but one of his many masks resides within this one. Not silver, no, Ariane has that one, but plain blackened metal.

"Though, I may not be as limber as I once was, I wager. I can still direct something of use, perhaps. If you wish..." Another stop and a snort of a laugh. "You know, I did wonder why it took you so long to come my direction. I told myself that you were just trying to keep me sanguine. Keep the problems of the day from raising my temper. A good enough reason if there was ever one, I wager. What else do you need of me, Mister Burnie? Forget the past mistakes either of us have made, what do you need of me for the future?"
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:20 am

I could do this for you.

Why have you not come to me before?

A fine offer and a perfectly reasonable question. Why put him in this position if not to use him? Why come here now if you never meant to use him?

"I did not know you." Subterfuge. "Ariane and I spent every morning for two years, longer, with each other. She taught me to use a sword. She taught me about Myrken. I reflected her home back to her through my eyes. We rarely spoke of you." There would be no more sips of milk, just a cool steady stare. "You destroyed records leaving us blind when I arrived." One finger rose. "You crumbled the old Government more than anything else. Without your fall, Helstone would have not fallen. You were a keystone in the foundation." Another. "I had some reason to resent you on sheer principle. Negative experiences with Coran have soured me on Channelers. Experiences with Cristoph had soured me further, in general." Yet another. "And you were insane. You were dead. Myrken makes monsters of us all and it made, of you, the deadliest." A final finger before putting his hand down.

"One year. One year since i called upon you for lack of anyone else and for lack of knowing what to do with you. In that time, you have been targeted, you have been... chaperoned. And yes, Kerrak, you have been watched. I tried to isolate you, to protect you as best I could. I tried to isolate and protect Myrken from you as best I could. I was not always successful, but I was, perhaps, more so than I might have been." Words, steady and quick with no doubt or remorse. A governor doing what he must. "And now, with a year behind us, I'm ready to move on. There is an additional level of insurance." Ariane Emory was experienced and capable in a way Renea had not been. The latter would have done her best. The former would succeed. "There is additional and specific need. Most of all, I know you better, not personally perhaps, but in ways that matter relative to the need. You were likely ready a year ago. I am ready now. I'll apologize for the delay but nothing else.

"I've found Thessilane a rather tough nut to crack." Not everyone was skilled at everything. Burnie, given the specific challenges he faced, had spent years building up his inquisitory, years of focusing on Myrken's internal struggles, on classifying and gathering information and preparing for eventualities. The simple fact of the matter was that he lacked the experience for setting up an international network. His attempts had been amateur at best, and while he had successes, they were minimal where he needed them the most, Thessilane and Razasan. "I would defer to you on that matter if you feel that you could garner results." Moreover, it would keep Kerrak in the shadows. He was not to be a public figure for obvious reasons. "And if you could show the proper discretion, in that we would discuss your findings before involving the Council, including your staunch ladies." Not reporting to Burnie, but discussing with. There was a distinction.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Vanidor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:02 pm

"I... Well, since you put it that way, I would say that you have more than a point, hah." He'll purse his lips some, then set the book down on the table. Glenn could look at the thing if he was of a mind too, a good book that one, it had almost been a shame to have hollowed it out for something so simple as a mask. "Hellstone was a prat. Too high up on his horse to truly lead. If he'd had a proper set, then he would not have fallen. You have maintained your course so far, broken records, shatter governments, and all the monsters Myrken has tossed at you inbetween. I would say you have a pair a dwarf would admire."

"The apology may be late in coming, but I do regret the destruction of the Meetinghouse. In my darkest hour I cannot even say what THAT was supposed to do. I blame Faeryl and her squid-faced bastards. Well, and myself for thinking I could root them out all by myself." He'll remain standing of course. "The Thesil network spreads all of the Amasynian province, you know. From Almark and Orvere, to Collingsford, Ricthair and even to the borders of Lothaine. There are people in Xanth Grange and even a few doughty souls down in Heath. One crazy bastard watches the Fenn, or did anyway, just in case."

Kerrak will rock his shoulders. "Watching both Meadowford and Razasan will be tricky though, and perhaps it would be better to focus my efforts on one place at a time. I will send feelers both directions, of course, but best results and all. I understand that is your thing, hm? Best results?" A pause a moment, then a glance at Glenn once more. "Wait. How did Christoph sour you? The boy had always been rather jovial and upfront when I knew him. Soria had been a good mother to the lad, trying to smother that al'Nerun arrogance my brother fostered in him." A tricksy subject Christoph had been around the family. But then when you father a son on your brother's wife, there would be problems.
Vanidor

Postby Glenn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 am

It wasn't that Kerrak was shoving the book in his face, really, but it was there. It was there and it was before him. Ariane had noted so many changes in Glenn Burnie since when she first met him. Perhaps she would find this the most jarring of them all: he had yet to look. There was business to attend to and it stood well in the way of his nagging curiosity, even when a book was concerned. It was not until after he said all those words that he would finally take the time to glance. The governor was a man of purpose and he had achieved much of his here. In fact, he wouldn't even try to hide the glance. He would simple look. If Kerrak wished to say more, or perhaps offer to lend it, he could. As for its hidden content, there were some things Glenn did not imagine. Defacing a book in such a way was one. There are lines one did not cross, after all.

"Helstone had good ideas and terrible nerves. Bromn's a prat." Friendly enough though. It wasn't as if Myrken had a vaunted history of good leadership, especially when one looked past the last five years or so. "It's hard," he would then admit, softening slightly, but only for a moment, for those two words. There was a feverish undertone to what would follow. "Knowing that they're down there somewhere, holding us with all the disdain and insult in the world, down there but looking down upon us, born or reared without the ability to process basic human compassion. I can't fault you overmuch for that, Kerrak. Perhaps only for your failure in finishing the job. We can't be drawn into their intrigues and pernicious little debasements. We have to strengthen our own home. If we manage it well enough, the problem solves itself."

That was exactly the mindset that left his foreign network lacking. "Focus on Meadowford, Kerrak. Let's play to our strength."

Ah, the last issue, rather uncomfortable. "Perhaps she should have smothered him a bit more thoroughly." As in, all the way. Still, Burnie did not wish to be unkind, not un this. "He is protective of those he cares about, which is admirable," and the nicest thing the man could say about Cristoph. "If you must know, I think he is a victim of Burel's self-assurance as much as anyone. The hawk puffs itself up and those around it cannot help but feel proud."
Glenn
Co-Founder

Next

Return to Downtown Myrkentown