No stone unturned

No stone unturned

Postby Kestrel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:44 am

Two letters were received when the Lady next entered the tavern. One, arrived too late. The other, just on time. Gloria Wynsee was requesting her help for a friend. The Lady debated upon taking a handful of her men with her, but they had tasks of their own to complete. Most were working with the Myrken Militia to strengthen their authority with the town walls. Sera Agnieszka Kaczmarek's letter on the current knowledge of the men had been abundantly helpful, but Egris only gave a silent reply.

The Kestrel found herself in the north of the city in one of the less reputable pubs Myrken had to offer. She attracted attention, even with the simple clothing she wore. Her uniform had been left behind, well aware that this was a favor to a friend and had little to do with the duties of her station or her title. The attire was a signal that she was not here on official business. Still, she was not a woman easily mistaken for others and even simple clothing spoke of money. The leather of her pants was soft and well-crafted. The tunic was tight-fitting, but modest enough. Her boots shone in the flickering light of the candles at the door. The longer half of her hair had been braided and wrapped around the crown of her head.

She gave a short, polite nod to the wary glances she received before striding towards the door. There was, no doubt, a beat of silence as the stranger slipped inside. She gave their stares a quick grin and a wink before making her way towards the man behind the counter wiping out used mugs with a damp rag. The Lady leaned an elbow against it in casual fashion while casting a glance about the room.

"I seek a half-elf," she requested, sounding just a touch uncertain of her request. Gloria had not given her many details, after all. A ready coin was pressed flush against the wooden surface with her free hand and nudged towards him with an index finger. Her hand, he might note, was gloved, though only the middle three digits had been encased in fabric.

Coin tended to loosen tongues, even to give information to a relative stranger.
Kestrel

Re: No stone unturned

Postby CherryStatic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:14 pm

"Milady." The barkeep continued cleaning the mugs, hardly acknowledging her beyond a cursory glance; that was all it took to see that he was talking to the Lady Warden. When the silver piece appeared between them, he held the drinking vessel up and examined the rim in the lamp light. Seemingly satisfied, he set the mug facedown on the bar top and folded the rag over one arm, meeting her eyes with a lidded gaze.

He knew three half-elves, personally. One, Thena, was a cobbler. She did good, honest work, and mended his boots on occasion. The other, Nerich, was an elderly papermaker. He made a quality product that he sold at a competitive price in the marketplace on odd days of the week.

He doubted seriously that Egris Verreaux was referring to either one.

"Bern Clydell." he said, simply. "Works as a bounty hunter when she isn't under contract as a bodyguard. Nasty piece of work, that one, but she's one of the best. Really." He gestured at the room full of drunk patrons laughing and swearing over hands of cards. "I'm not entirely sorry to say that she hasn't shown her face tonight, but if you want to hang around for a bit, she has an uncanny sense of--"

The door to the inn swung open abruptly, revealing a thin woman with spiked hair the color of flames and green eyes that flashed in annoyance. She wasted no time in marching directly towards the two, not bothering to close the door behind her.

"--timing." he finished, picking up a still unclean mug and resuming his task in a surprisingly unconcerned manner despite what was headed his way.

The half-elf reached the counter and thrust an open hand towards him, palm up, completely ignoring the woman beside her. "I want the spare key to the dancer's room."

He continued to polish the pewter, setting clean mugs down near what looked to be a number of gouges in the wood of the bar top. He didn't look up from what he was doing, but proceeded to calmly explain, as though the situation at hand was a daily occurrence, that:

"I can't give you the spare key to a patron's room because that would be unprofessional behavior on my part." His eyes were glazed, and he was clearly reciting something he'd said a hundred times before and would, more likely than not, end up saying a hundred times more. "Giving you access to their room could endanger them and would reflect poorly on--"

"Fine." the half-elf snapped, cutting him off. "Tell me about those two sitting near the back earlier. The ones wearing red. What are their names? Are they staying here?"

"I can't provide you with a patron's personal information because that would be unprof--"

She slammed a fist down on the bar top, leaning across it so that their faces were inches apart. He finally set the mug down and leveled his bored gaze with her fierce one. There was a silent standoff between the two for a fraction of a moment.

"If you don't help me, someone could die." she said, sounding almost like she was asking for help, but wasn't sure how to make that come across in her tone. Her eyes lost some of their hardness, the only indicator that she was trying to be civil. The bartender regarded her for a long time, then leaned back.

"That's not my problem." he said, shrugging. "She still hasn't paid for tonight. Until she does, I have no idea what you're talking about."

Bern looked as through she were about to leap onto the bar top and strangle him with her slender fingers. She stood riveted to the spot, her eyes wide, her mouth clamped shut, barely contained rage threatening to make itself known to every person within a quarter mile presently.

Surprisingly, she forced it down, pushing it away. Her eyes regained their impatient glint. "Whatever." she muttered darkly, turning on her heel and walking towards the still open door.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:03 am

The barkeep was not fooled by her lack of uniform and she was charmed by his lack of reverence. She finally turned to face him and listened dutifully to the information he gave her. As he mentioned timing, she smiled and turned to cast a glance in the direction of the door. A door that found itself slammed against the opposite wall in the tiny elf's fury. The Lady leaned against the counter, posture slouched and eyes half-lidded with practiced indifference.

She need not have troubled herself, for all the attention that Bern paid to her. Gloria's letter had mentioned a friend in trouble and Egris had wrongly assumed that friend was the elf. She reasoned that it could very well be the aforementioned dancer, instead.

Before Bern could storm out, the Lady at her elbow cleared her throat in pointed manner. "Ser, said dancer has not paid for her room. Conceivably, it could be said that the room does not, in fact, belong to her any longer." She reasoned, a polite smile settled onto her lips. "Accepting that, it could be assumed that the person who pays for said room now would gain access. Would you not agree?," she asked, examining her nails for a moment before winking over at him.

Certainly, her status as Warden could afford her some benefits. She could certainly go through more official channels, but this was a private matter. "I ask as a concerned citizen," she reminded him, another silver coin dug out of her pocket and cupped in her palm.

"In a more official capacity, I would have knowledge of any who might seek to harm the private citizens of our noble country. As an upstanding businessman, perhaps you would do me the courtesy of granting me your assistance in this matter. I would be most appreciative." Egris never once deviated from her polite, complimentary tone of voice, but there was a thin line of coercion there. Surely it would not do to anger the King's new Warden.

While he considered, those cerulean eyes would lift and seek Bern's own. "Gloria sent me."
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:35 am

The barkeep's eyes shifted from the half-elf's back to the Lady Warden, who slid a second silver piece across the wooden counter. He had no idea what someone as important and upstanding as Egris was doing helping Bern, but he had already made four times what he normally charged for a night's stay in just two minutes. He considered the noble for a moment, then pocketed the coin with a barely audible sigh.

"I'll get the key." he muttered, disappearing through a door behind the bar.

Bern, meanwhile, looked at Egris for the first time. After a fraction of a second, her eyes narrowed ever-so-slightly in recognition of the woman's identity. Her lip curled the tiniest bit, as though she had just bared witness to the punch line of a less-than-humorous joke.

"Of course she sent you." she growled under her breath, the initial surprise in her voice melting away, replaced by something akin to annoyance. She didn't necessarily mean any disrespect, but that certainly wasn't out of the question; she'd never met the woman, but associating with nobles had left a bitter taste in her mouth ever since she'd struck out from home, ever since--

I'm not thinking about it.

"You'd think that a one-handed seamstress who spends her free time in a dingy pub wouldn't have connections with the Lady Warden, but at this point, I'm hardly surprised." The redhead briefly appraised the Kestrel. She quickly decided that, after the day's events, she would listen to what the woman said. It didn't mean she had to lower her guard.

"So? What did she tell you? That her 'friend' was in danger and she needed Myrkentown's finest to track her down?" The half-elf frowned, more at the situation than Egris herself. "We don't need an entire unit of men combing the streets, Lady. That would only endanger my client further. This is a matter best left in capable hands. The fewer the better."
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:31 pm

The Lady's eyes gleamed and she gave a nod when he vowed to bring them the key. "My humble thanks, kind ser," she called at his back, as he vanished through the door and into the kitchen.

Bern's vitriol earned her a sidelong glance from the military woman, whose expression shifted from pleasant to something far less so. Instead, her expression was reserved. "Of course. She sent someone who could actually give you help. You'd be leaving without a key and without any information were it not for Gloria Wynsee." Credit where credit was due. "I'll expect your thanks will be readily given upon your next meeting," she offered, that note of threat still lingering within her carefully constructed sentences.

"Gloria is an Inquisitor in service of the town of Myrken. She is hardly merely a seamstress," the woman corrected, with a heaping amount of patience.

"She said that a friend needed help and you had information. I have surmised that she must have meant this dancer you mentioned," she nodded towards the door the barkeep had disappeared behind. "Calm yourself, hunter. I have come alone. This is a personal favor and not one that might require my entire company of men. Shockingly, I am quite capable of handling my own affairs," she drawled, with some mild note of irritation.

Her lips pursed as the man still lingered behind its sturdy frame. Fingers drummed impatiently. "Is it just me, or has he been at his task much too long?"
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 pm

She didn't care much for the way she was being addressed, but she supposed that the Lady Warden typically commanded a bit more respect than she was being shown. It wouldn't do to antagonize someone that could cause her trouble down the line.

The noblewoman's subtle attempt at intimidation rolled off of Bern like rainwater on oilcloth, but her words carried a certain amount of merit that couldn't be ignored. If Gloria truly was who this woman claimed she was, then perhaps she wasn't useless after all. Although, one's occupation mattered little if a lack of common sense guided your hands. Or hand, in Gloria's case. If help came in the form of the Kestrel, she wouldn't refuse it. But she wasn't going to lick the woman's boots.

"Yes, yes, I've heard the stories." She waved a hand impatiently. "Military prowess and all that. An upstanding individual. I'm sure I pale in comparison." She leveled her gaze with Egris' own. "If you're here as a favor to Gloria, and we really are partners in this, then I'm treating you like a woman with a blade, nothing more, nothing less. I assume that's how you regard me already, so that shouldn't be a problem."

"And I know fully well that you're talented with that weapon of yours." Her green eyes were appraising. "Just know that there's a reason I'm never wanting for work."

When Egris noted how long the barkeep was taking, Bern glanced at the doorway the man had disappeared through. She supposed he had been gone for longer than it took to find a single key. Perhaps he had misplaced it?

She opened her mouth to respond, just as the before mentioned barkeep reappeared. He moved somewhat stiffly, but produced the key, laying it upon the counter between himself and the women. His eyes rose to meet theirs, looking first at Bern, then at Egris.

"I hope you find what you're looking for." he said.

Bern narrowed her eyes as a bead of sweat trickled down the side of his face, but she picked the key up all the same. She glanced at Egris, shrugged, and moved towards the stairs that led to the guest rooms, her footsteps silent but the steps creaking all the same.

An L-shaped hallway led them to a dead end comprised of a window between two opposing doors. The door on the right was her client's and she slipped the key into the lock, turning it with a barely audible click. She pushed it open a few inches with her fingertips, peering into the room.

A lamp had been lit.

She kicked the door open the rest of the way, drawing a throwing knife from her boot. The room was undisturbed, everything where it should have been as far as Bern was concerned, with the exception of the woman who sat cross legged on the bed, flipping through a book with no title on its cover. She wore skin tight red-leather, and her brown hair was woven into a simple braid pulled over one shoulder. A lengthy baton hung from a chain on her wrist, laying next to her on the mattress. She glanced up at the half-elf and her companion with a smile.

"Hi. I was just flipping through her journal." She indicated the book, a look of amusement on her face. "It looks like she really did forget everything. I thought she was joking." She shook her head in mock wonder, setting the book down.

She rose to her feet, and Bern tensed. Every muscle in her body screamed at her to put a knife between the oddly-cheerful woman's eyes, but she knew that if she did, she would be no closer to learning the whereabouts of her client than she had been five minutes ago. So, she waited, finger's ready to loose the blade across the room and pluck another from her boot should the first one fail to find it's mark.

"Be ready." she growled to Egris. She turned her eyes on the woman, who was now rolling the baton between her fingers. "Who are you?"

"My name's Molleine." the woman said, smiling in greeting. She pointed the baton at them, addressing them respectively. "You're Bern Clydell, a bounty hunter, and you're Egris Verreaux, the Lady Warden of Myrken. You're both pretty dangerous, or so they say." Her smile widened, contradicting the atmosphere in the room. "I was supposed to stay here and observe "Vixen", or whatever she's calling herself, but now that she's with the others, I'm on cleanup detail. Boring, right?"

The baton swung down to her side, and the smile lessened. The woman's eyes took on a somewhat glazed look. "Anyway, this is the end of the line. Sorry to do this after having just met."

A spark skipped off the end of the baton. Bern's eyes widened as a white-hot coil of energy danced along the length of the metal, hissing and popping as it folded back on itself. The woman, entirely unconcerned with this development, dropped into a half-crouch, the baton held at an angle in front of her.

Bern knew that, for at least one of those present, this was going to hurt.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:00 pm

It wasn't so much the need for deference. The outright, perceived or not, hostility at her attempts to help were not appreciated. The Warden's eyes caught the moment when Bern decided to accept the hand she was dealt and the tension seeped from her shoulders. The smile she offered was strangely warm, given their interaction. "I strongly doubt that you pale in comparison to anyone," she offered, shrugging off the implication that she thought herself superior.

The accord was struck and the Lady attempted a brief, playful curtsey in response to the barked statements. She would give the hunter the reigns in this investigation and would help where needed. "Ser, yes ser," she mused, as if the diminutive elf were her general and she but a soldier to command. She finished it off with a rigid salute.

The barkeep returned and Egris tilted her head slightly as her gaze swept over the man. The key was pressed to wood, much as her silver had. His message was cryptic and she inclined her head as she watched the trickle of sweat. Something was not at all right in the way he held himself. Her eyes lifted to the stairs and the room that lay beyond, well aware that there was a trap lying in wait for them.

"I hope you do as well," she offered, without so much as glancing at the man. She shared a brief glance with Bern before trailing after her. As she moved, she lifted one booted foot a little higher to palm a small knife she kept confined in the leather. Index finger touched upon blade tip and neatly tucked it into her sleeve. Her sword would be no use to her in the narrowed hallways. The stairs creaked softly underfoot as the vanished up the stairs.

She crowded against Bern's back, flashing the elf a smile if she was glared at in reproach. The door opened to reveal a single woman thumbing through a book. Her eyes lifted to meet theirs and she taunted them.

No doubt she was dangerous, but she seemed foolhardy. Clearly, that would be to their advantage. Even as she crouched for combat, the Lady lofted a brow. That blade slipped into her waiting palm.
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:51 pm

The woman named Molleine surprised Bern with her speed. She leapt across the room before the half-elf had time to throw the blade in her hand, the baton sweeping up in a wide arc that caught the doorframe in a shower of white sparks. Bern twisted away, moving with the Lady Warden to put some small amount of distance between themselves and their odd assailant.

The smile never left the brunette's face. She pursued them with catlike grace, the slender weapon in her fingers moving like an extension of her arm. It spun about, cutting the air with a hiss as strands of electricity danced along its length. Her movement was fluid, her steps sure and precise, and Bern found herself doubting that she was human, despite her appearance.

"We need to get downstairs!" she yelled, desperate to escape the narrow hallway that impeded her movement. She flicked the knife at the woman, who tilted her head so that the blade missed her cheek by an inch, never faltering in her assault. She pulled a dagger from her hip and, not thinking, caught the baton as it descended in an overhanded swing.

The weapon dropped from her hand, energy racing through the blade and up her arm so fiercely that it shook. Her right arm, numb to the elbow, dropped to her side, useless, and she cried out in pain, gritting her teeth.

"Go!" she spat over her shoulder, urging Egris on as Molleine closed in.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:39 am

Egris did not need further goading to turn and race down the stairs. They were trapped here and it would serve them well to have distance between themselves and this unnatural weapon. Her hand groped blindly in effort to snag the bounty hunter's sleeve to drag her along. In her rush down the stairs, it was obvious that she would miss one or two. She barely stumbled, continued in her path without pause.

When she rounded the corner, she barked out an order. "Move!," in case anyone might be in her way. A woman gasped and jumped back from the base as if burned as boots pounded on the wood. Those gathered in the tavern were no stranger to violence. It was no surprise that their hands strayed to their weapons.

She gave them no thought at all, eager to burst from the tavern's door as if she were on fire. She whirled, her hand finding her weapon in the same movement, to face their combatant. Should she have Bern's sleeve, she would seek to fling the other woman behind her, in true heroic fashion.
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:53 am

For all of her gruffness, Bern was still true to her elven blood; as light as she was, Egris had no problem swinging her around so that she was behind the two of them. Instead of arguing, she simply pulled a second throwing knife from concealment and held it between two fingers on her off hand.

Her right hand, the hand she would prefer to be fighting with right now, was somewhat responsive at this point, although mostly numb. It didn't hurt anymore, but that was almost more worrisome than if it did. She hoped beyond hope that the weapon Molleine wielded hadn't caused permanent nerve damage to her arm. If so, it might spell the end of her career.

She pushed the thought away as Molleine appeared in the doorway. Somewhere over the woman's shoulder, another flash of red vaulted over the bar and headed towards them. She risked a glance at it and saw that it was a powerfully built blonde man wearing the same blood-colored uniform. He pulled a length of clanking chain from where it sat looped on his hip, holding it between his clenched fists so that the heavy spikes at each end hung straight down. Molleine didn't even look at him as he came to stand beside her in the street.

"Bale, you're supposed to be watching the barkeep." she said, somewhat petulantly. "I was told that I'm the one who gets to kill anyone who comes sniffing around."

The man smiled at her apparent dismay. "If it means that much to you, Molly, I won't kill them. I'll just maim them."

"You'd do that for me?" She smiled warmly, her glazed eyes still focused on the two women in the street.

"Of course. But let's have some fun with them before you kill them."

"No one said we couldn't." she agreed, twirling the baton once in her fingers. She grinned at Bern and Egris. "Let's go."

She charged forward, ready to strike the side of the Lady Warden's neck with the energized rod in her hand. At the same time, the man named Bale swung one end of the chain overhead and twisted so that it arced low, attempting to wrap it around the woman's legs. As it drew near, the hiss it made as it sliced through the air made it obvious that the sides of the chain were bladed.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:10 pm

The Warden of the city watched the two jackals approach. These were dangerous characters. Dogs that had broken free from their leashes. They hunted in a pack of two, well-versed in the combat techniques of the other. The promise to leave the kill to the female was a little sweet, if only it weren't quite so psychopathic.

The smile she offered them was almost polite as they approached, weapons whirling in effort to bring fear to their victims' gaze. The Lady's quiet distaste, hidden under her facade passive caution, did not falter in the slightest. How disappointing for them.

Their prowess was noted as the woman charged and aimed for her neck. She managed to bring a forearm up to take the brunt of the blow. The armor underneath her loose-fitting tunic was obvious, if the clank of metal was any indication. The energy that raced upon it, though, might do some damage.

Bale's weapon swung low at the same time and she managed to turn aside its path with her sword. The blade managed to cut a neat line across her calf. Shallow, but the sting distracted her briefly.

She attempted to thrust her blade towards the more aggressive female, who was far, far too close. Just to give herself some distance.
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:08 pm

The Lady Warden aimed her blade at Molleine's leather-clad frame, her movement slightly off point due to the bleeding cut on her leg and the scorched material covering her forearm, the result of the strange baton discharging electricity on impact. Although Molleine skipped backwards beyond the reach of Egris' sword, it gave Bern the opening she had been waiting for.

She moved with the woman, flicking a throwing knife at her middle, while throwing another a split second later, slightly off to one side. As she had hoped, the woman, already focused on evading the Lady Warden's thrust, twisted away from the first knife, and right into the second. It struck her thigh, the blade jutting from the woman's leg.

Molleine froze, glancing down at the knife, her mouth falling open the tiniest bit.

"Bale." She said his name quietly. Her voice was slightly disbelieving. "Bale, she hurt me."

She looked up to see Bern charging her. She attempted to bring the baton up in front of her, but the half-elf dropped her shoulder into the woman's middle before she had time to swing it up. Molleine was sent sprawling, her injured leg preventing her from keeping her balance. She avoided hitting her head on the cobblestone street by some small miracle and immediately made to strike the side of Bern's nearby calf with her weapon. The redhead quickly brought a heel down on the slender wrist that held the wand, hard enough that a muffled snap could be heard.

"Bale!" she screamed, turning her head to look at him. "Bale, stop he--"

There was a thud as Bern kicked her in the side of the head as hard as she could. The woman's eyes rolled, her head lolling back against the stone. She was silent.

"We need the other one alive!" she yelled at Egris, turning to look at the woman. As she did so, she was suddenly aware of the man named Bale looming over her. He crashed into her with such force that they both hit the ground. His much larger frame crushed the air from her lungs.

She gasped for breath, clawing desperately at his face. The man grabbed her slender throat and slammed her head back into the ground, yelling down into her face. Any composure and playfulness in his demeanor had vanished the moment Molleine had been harmed.

"Don't touch her!" he cried, slamming her head into the stone again. "Don't touch her, you filthy whore!"

Bern grasped his wrists weakly, her vision darkening.

"Citrine, fliarere..." she breathed, incoherently mumbling in her native tongue. Her eyes registered the Lady Warden moving in the corner of her vision.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:50 am

The baton sent a wave of energy through the metal, but her flesh remained mostly intact. There was, perhaps, reddened, raw flesh trapped underneath the metal and cloth. She made a mental note to investigate later, when she had a moment to herself.

Bern was a blur at the corner of her vision, but she dared not take her attention away from the dangerous combatant in front of her. Neither of them. Not until the woman was on the ground with the elf standing over her, with heaving chest. Egris blinked, startled by the sudden movement of the male as he crashed into Bern's slim frame like a bull on the charge.

She stalked closer as he slammed her dark crown upon the ground and aimed a sharp kick to his temple. Her goal was for him to see a cluster of stars across his vision, not to send him into unconsciousness. Not yet. At the same time, her fist attempted to grasp his collar to jerk him away from the elf, her eyes hard slits in her pretty face.

"Alive is a very broad description," she snapped, her voice cold. "Do not test me or my blade will wrench details with your dying breath," she insisted, thin steel in her eyes.
Kestrel

Postby CherryStatic » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:17 pm

The man was large, his broad shoulders massive, the muscles in his bull-neck taut as he focused on strangling the life out of the half-elf beneath him. His size amounted to nothing as a precise but powerful kick was delivered to the side of his head. Stunned, his fingers loosened around Bern's throat, and she fell back limply against the cobblestone street.

The Lady Warden hauled the man away from the half-elf by his collar, her voice dangerous, her eyes more so. Her tone would have sent chills down the spine of the average person, but as Bale regained his senses, he grinned wolfishly up at her, a mad light dancing behind his eyes.

"Prick me with your sting, little bee. I won't sing for an arrogant bitch like yourself." His gaze flicked down to her blade, his smile widening. "You might as well run me through with that thing and be done with it."

As if to punctuate his words, he proceeded to spit up at her face.
CherryStatic

Postby Kestrel » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:04 pm

Bern was released abruptly as the Lady's booted toe came into contact with the man struggling to steal her breath. It was sudden and violent, but it did the trick. Egris wanted to stoop to see if Bern was well enough, but she dared not take her gaze from the man grinning madness up at her.

"I would not assume to ask you any questions at all," she remarked, with feigned surprise and her blade at the ready. "But she will," she nodded her head towards the half-elf pointedly. "And if your friend still draws breath, we will carve the answers out of you through her." He had shown his weakness when he raced towards the other instead of pressing his advantage against the noblewoman, hadn't he?

She lifted a hand to remove the spittle from her face. He was not the first to have done so, he wouldn't be the last. He was already on the ground, vengeance wasn't particularly required.
Kestrel

Next

Return to Downtown Myrkentown