Complications

Complications

Postby CherryStatic » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:20 pm

"Excuse me, miss?"

She slowed to a stop, turning her head a fraction to acknowledge the guard who approached her, the hood obscuring her upper face in shadow. He held a torch in one hand and a sheet of parchment in the other, which he extended towards her. Her eyes flicked down and she realized that a face was sketched upon it.

"A woman's been reported missing. A dancer, goes by the name of Vixen. Blue eyes, long red hair pulled back in a ponytail. Have you seen anyone matching that description?"

There was a brief pause before she turned to face him, pulling back the hood of her cloak as she did so. The flickering light of the torch spilled across her face. She smiled at him. "Every time I walk past a mirror, handsome."

His eyes widened, confusion evident in his expression. "You're--?"

She abruptly leaned towards him, gently grabbing the wrist that instinctively reached for the blade at his hip. Before he could pull away, she pressed her lips gently against the scruff of his cheek, lingering only for a moment. His grip on the hilt of his weapon went lax immediately. She straightened, surveying his slack expression with satisfaction.

"Sorry, but I don't want to be 'found' just yet. I hope you won't mind if I take that moment back from you."

She pulled her hood back up with one hand, using the other to give him an affectionate pat on the jaw. She glided past him, plucking the flyer from his fingers as she went. By the time he began to regain his senses, she was already turning down an alleyway behind him, moving quickly and quietly.

......................................................................................................................................................................

"You wanted to see me?"

The blonde woman glanced up from the map she was studying, her ruby teardrop earrings catching the candlelight. She smiled when she saw that it was her. "I had a favor to ask."

"Oh?"

"Try not to Manifest unless you have to. Something's come up."

"I'm guessing someone followed you from home?" Alcara tilted her head slightly. "I'm curious as to how hired men would be able to track you, though. They must be pretty talented."

"My thoughts exactly. Or at least, they were. Turns out they've been cheating."

The redhead regarded her quizzically for a moment before comprehension dawned on her face. Her eyes narrowed. "You're joking."

"Unfortunately, no." The corner of her mouth turned up in a smirk. "It seems the king still has big plans for us."

"We need to deal with this before it becomes a problem, Crucia."

The woman shook her head. "It became a problem the moment it rode through the town gates with eleven armed soldiers. We're in a bind, whether we like it or not."

"Then I'll do it. He can't see me. I'll go tonight."

"Again, no. He may be a double-edged sword, but he's well guarded and most likely prepared for an attempt on his life. We need to learn more before we make a move. Promise you won't try anything?"

After a short but tense hesitation, Alcara shrugged one shoulder. "Your call. But I don't think this can wait. We need a plan."

The woman's smile turned snakelike. "Trust me, Cari, we have a plan. It just needs to be adjusted now that we have company."

"If you say so."

"I do. Believe it or not, this is a good thing; the pieces are finally falling into place. It won't be long before we claim our prize."
CherryStatic

Return to Downtown Myrkentown