Stacks: Gifts & Favors

Stacks: Gifts & Favors

Postby Tolleson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:58 pm

A modest carriage clamored over the cobblestones, sending echos through the alleys in the early afternoon quiet that followed a busy lunch hour at the market. Two men drove, one older and grizzled and the other a young man of fourteen or so, with shaggy brown hair. When the carriage came to a stop it was the younger man that climbed down to open the carriage door. He held out his hand and helped a redheaded woman step down from the ledge. Once she was safely down he eagerly turned and with a spry step climbed into the carriage, leaving the door open to converse with the now disembarked passenger.

“Way he eats, I bet he naps til’ supper,” the boy offered, passing the redheaded woman a pastry box from where it had been stored in the carriage.

Her reply was a raised brow and a grin, but she said nothing to indicate she agreed.

Perhaps this was itself a joke, because the boy erupted with laughter as she exaggerated the gesture of rolling her eyes and pushed shut the door of the carriage. Giving two hard claps to the side to let the driver know. Another moment more and the carriage was off.

Both hands settled into carrying the box as she closed the distance to the shop that bore a sign resembling Aloisius Treadwell’s face. Just before the door she couldn’t help but reach out with her left hand and run her fingers over the belly of the wooden statue. With a nostalgic smile she went to the door, turned the knob and pressed in.

Within, the shop was very much like it’s proprietor, friendly and over-stuffed. And of course, it was him that Genny had come to see.
Tolleson

Re: Stacks: Gifts & Favors

Postby Treadwell » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:30 pm

At lunch, Aloisius Treadwell had done something he had not done in some time; he had given in to his endless hunger, seating himself in his kitchen and stuffing himself on nearly everything edible in reach. Why shouldn't he? Business was slow today, and he was alone, so no one was around to see him indulge in sloppy voracity. He ended his lunch by toddling to and sinking into one of his rocking chairs by the fireplace, there to rock and snore and doze in his red shirt, vest, trousers, and socks, his matching boots left by the fire.

It seems that the boy in the carriage had been quite right. It is a most drowsy shopkeeper who groggily wakes at the jingling of the bell above the door on its opening. A yawn escapes, warbly and shrill, and the sleepy fellow finds himself squirming in his seat, merely trying to turn his head to squint at the newest visitor. His eyeglasses were left on the fireplace a few feet away before he napped, so recognition doesn't register, but he calls out a simple greeting just the same. "One moment!" Treadwell manages, fumbling for the cane beside his chair and sending it rolling away as fingers miss handle. He squeaks in frustration; breath whuffs and mmphs as he begins fighting with his rocker to stand. It sways and rocks, as it is made to do, and the old gent's feet manage to find stability. . . for just a moment. Left leg gives out, and back into rocking chair Aloisius goes!

The toymaker slumps, beaten, sweat popped on fluffy-bearded cheeks, but he does, at least, clear his throat and offer a curious, pleasant, though tuckered out, "Well! What can I do for you, hm hm?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:07 am

The bell chiming merrily is a familiar sound that brought a smile to the lips of the woman, though it faltered at the spectacle of the squirming Treadwell. He had been sleeping after all and with her hands full she was at a loss for what to do, the struggle playing out in full.

With hesitation the box was slid to the counter before she neared the man with amicable familiarity. Noticing the glasses on the mantle she plucked them up and then knelt to retrieve the cane.

What could he do for her?

“How about you save the pie I’ve just brought until after supper,” regarding his state she offered a kind but obviously concerned smile.

She continued to kneel, putting herself at eye level with the slowly rocking and reclined toy-maker. Once he was nearly stopped she held out the glasses, offering them so he might be able to see the redheaded woman. She looked very much the same as she had, only older; the two had known one another for nearly a decade so some change was inevitable. But she was still a lean and lanky woman, fair skinned and freckled. The only notable difference was her tidy look, neatly pinned hair, donning a black sash over a blue dress fit to her height. The garment’s embellishment was modest, but the fabric fine and the fashion current.

“It has been a long while though. I had hoped, if you have the time, you could share how you, and the town, have fared these past months.”
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:22 am

Putting on eyeglasses means that things are a little less blurry. Wiggly, white-fluffed ears, though, pick up a very familiar voice, and from that voice, mention of the word "pie!" Eyes widen and jowls loosen, the lips soon forming a merry smile.

"Miss Genevieve! Genny, dearie! Come closer, mmph mmph!" Pudgy arms leave the armrests of the rocking chair, stretching out hopefully for a squoosh of a hug. "I have been well, just making toys and eating and growing older and, hrm, being a happy father in my old age!"

Whuffy breath wheezes out as he squirms forward in his seat, trying again to worm to his footing. "Myrken has been quite, mmph mmph, quiet, lovey. I would like to think that is due to my workings, hee hee, but I must assure you I have very little to do with it. What, errr, well, what brings you back here, Genny? You surely aren't just here to see a lazy old toymaker, mmph mmph."

Treadwell reaches around a fumbly, sweaty left hand. "My cane, dearie?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:47 am

Genevieve

At the recognition she smiled, but more so at the use of her whole name. It wasn’t something she had expected, at least not from Mister Treadwell. He did seem rather fatherly, though she couldn’t recall if they had ever hugged. It seemed like something not soon forgotten, but they had known one another quite a while and were certainly long-time friends. There is only a breath of hesitation before she accepts the invitation, leaning forward with the cane out of the way. Her arms certainly don’t make it all the way around. But they try.

“Always to see my favorite toy-maker,” the polite reply was not without sincerity, pulling away to make room for him.

“No need to stand on my account,” her words are again offered earnestly, along with the cane as she rocked back, standing, albeit on her knees, a pace or two away. Even at half her height she was practically eye-level to someone sitting, at least three and a half feet tall.

“I am glad to hear that you are well, and Myrken too. Though this brings me to the second reason I was inclined to visit, if you’ve time to hear out some more official matters?”
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:09 am

"No need to stand, mmph," he echoes, reaching out to take the cane after the returned hug. This time, the cane is set onto the nearest table--a little one between the two rockers--and Aloisius waves a hand at the other Treadwell-sized chair. "Sit, my dear, and rest some. Now, do you want anything? I can get up and fetch you something to drink, hmph, if you need. I, umm, don't think that I emptied everything in the kitchen at lunch."

Here, the burbliness in his belly might just beg to differ with the words of his mouth. The old gentleman here worms some in his seat, trying to resituate his bulky self.

"Now, what is this bit of 'official matters?' Surely you do not need somewhere new to live, mmph, or a storefront to purchase, or some such? And I don't see a man with you, hm hm, which might beg a marriage of me. What is it that old Tready can do for you, dearie? As Lord Steward of Myrken Wood, I still hold some authority," he lets his chin dip into his floofy beard with a nod, "and the Council, which meets only every so often nowadays, mmph, is down a few members at last count. . . ." Shoulders shrug. The stomach gurrrrgles again and, lips frowning, Treadwell pauses here to rub a hand lazily around his middle. "Yes, my dear Genny, how can old Aloisius help you?"
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:35 pm

Before she took the chair there was a long sidelong glance at it, as if to determine whether or not the thing would envelop her. In truth, some water would be nice, given the heat of afternoon. But it wasn’t worth the sheer effort that poor Treadwell would have to exert if he meant to get it for her himself. “Thank you, but I’m quite all right.”

Genny already owned a bit of property and the idea of a man on her arm made her smile wide as she sat. Her appearance might suggest she was younger than her some twenty-six years but not so much to deceive anyone that she wasn’t well past the usual age for marriage. And since she already held much in her own right, she needn’t an alliance to acquire political and monetary wealth, nor did she have much of a family to burden her with those demands. A greater social standing wouldn’t hurt, but she had had not come to arrange a union or even inquire about a good matchmaker.

“Hardly. Don’t sell yourself short, Lord Steward, your guidance helped our town survive and even prosper.”

Compliments never hurt, but Genny wasn’t one for using tactics such as slathering overly buttery, inflated egos. Plus by the sound from her friend’s stomach he would either need to relieve himself or eat again shortly and she had no intention of bearing witness to either. While, perhaps a bit curt, she simply continued rather than extend their pleasantries.

“Though Thessilane will always be my blood, Myrken has become a fine home to me. So, if you would allow it, I wish to make a charitable contribution of sorts,” she said, her weight shifting in the chair that did not take kindly to her straight-backed posture. Being that he was the Lord Steward it made sense that she would seek him out for bestowing any sort of gift to the town, that he was also the tax collector was a happy and convenient coincidence that seemed likely to help.
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:24 am

Your guidance. The words bring a grin and giggliness to the lips as both hands find their resting places atop that aching, digesting tummy. "Oh, Genny, dearie, you speak too well of me! I am merely a man of many jobs, hm hm, just because folks in Myrken keep finding more things for me to do! Now, mmph mmph, what is this about charity? I trust you mean money, mmph, if not time and services?" Treadwell here rises, planting feet securely before wriggling forward on the seat of his rocking chair and, with a shove, hefting himself up. He takes his cane almost immediately, leaning on it as it finds its place in his left hand.

"Do forgive me. I ought to get up, hrm hrm, to move about a little."

His free hand moves from stomach to table as he passes, straightening wooden toys and relocating a couple overly stuffed animals that have fallen and knocked over their less weighty fellows. "A mother brought in her three little ones around breakfast, mmph, and I have not had time to clean up after 'em! At least she gave me things to do; I have to make new goods, hm hm, since she bought each one something."

However, his standing is not merely about righting toys. It is quite obvious that he is making his way to the box on the counter--the one with the pie in it. On his arrival, he settles onto the custom-built, extra-cushioned stool there, wiggling as close as belly allows and setting his cane aside. Hands moves to lift the lid of tasty delight--and then he stops, those wet, beady eyes squinting over the downward sliding eyeglasses at his companion.

Glurrrrrrgle complains the belly, defeated by good manners and a lack of plate and fork.

"Umm. . ."

Fingers release the box, letting it stay closed.

"You, mmph, were saying something about a 'charitable contribution,' lovey?"
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:41 am

He asked forgiveness at his need to move and without really thinking she shook her head in reaction, “of course.” Treadwell began to stand and Genny took a deep breath, holding it for just a second as if at any moment the large man might topple.

Though she remained seated her eyes followed the toymaker as he told his tale, tidied up the mess, and inches closer to the pie.

“It’s blackberry,” she offered, not in reply to his words so much as his thoughts. Not that she needed to probe deeply to understand where his attention had gone, the unconscious action was evidence enough.

“Please, have some. I’m eager to know if you like it,” he had tasted a lot of food after all, presumably there were very few people more qualified to judge.

She paused then, as if waiting for him to open the lid, retrieve utensils, and begin the quick work of consuming what must have taken several hours of work. It was a lovely thing, but hardly perfect, the crust was a dark golden in some places and lighter in others, the filling had bubbled up through the edge on one side. But it glistened with large sugar crystals coating the top like a pristine frost contrasted by the dark berry compote that peeked through the small holes in the crust. And it was large. Ten, perhaps even twelve inches across.

Whatever he did next she merely continued, answering the spoken question regardless of where his attentions turned.

“I have a small library and indeed, a monetary contribution. Though, I would have some… stipulations about how a portion is to be used,” at this she watched him carefully. Perhaps the pregnant pause was to gauge his reaction or to wait until his mouth was full to ensure he couldn’t protest to whatever followed.
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:25 am

"Blackberry!" Treadwell repeats in a gleeful whisper. Off his stool he eases, toddling into the kitchen through the nearby arch. He returns in a few moments, the red vest discarded--hung over a chair at the kitchen table--and a white apron tied quickly around himself. Fork, plate, and knife are in one hand; newly full mug of milk in the other. The mug is set near the box, and fingers reverently open the lid to reveal the pie in all its glorious, sugary girth.

After moving his cushioned seat a bit closer to the countertop and settling again onto it, Aloisius begins his mid-day snack, cutting into the pie and lifting a slab from box to plate. Dining follows, much to the burbly merriment of that already overstuffed middle. Of course, said dining begins with a dipping of a pudgy thumb into some of the exposed innards bulging from one side and then a sucking at the delicious filling in question.

That little taste is enough to see Aloisius lifting the plate and utensils from the counter, setting it all atop his stomach. The base of one hand weights the plate into place and also stabs the pie solidly with the fork to keep it from moving. The other hand works the knife, expertly carving up the piece of pie into sections before setting the knife aside and swapping duties. One must be able to stab and lift each individual, succulent piece and raise it to one's lips to enjoy it all properly, and to do that, one must make sure the plate doesn't spill its precious contents!

And then Miss Genny keeps talking. Cheeks a-bulging and teeth a-working, Mister Treadwell is in no position to place any demands or raise any questions. The mere lift of floofy eyebrows and nod of the head should be enough indication for her to continue as Treadwell begins gorging anew.
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:20 am

When asking favors it is always a good idea to bring food. And whether her pies were simply delicious or there was some secret ingredient that made people more amicable to her suggestions, merrily noshing was just the reply she had hoped for.

“Primarily, I wish to see renovations and additions to the Meeting House and adjacent properties.” Of course, one of the obvious adjacent properties to which she referred was the Inquisitory. Genny had occupied the offices for the better part of the last several years and it was key to note that they had stood otherwise empty since Glenn’s resignation.

“I have already cleaned the Inquisitory and moved what remains of my personal library there,” she smiled briefly, quick to continue and take full advantage of the relative silence that came from someone eating. Perhaps he wouldn’t notice that this meant she had already begun her project in some small capacity.

“Surely you agree, “ she offered, inviting him to simply nod and continue eating, “the central location is ideal, and would be more accessible to a greater number of people compared to the Priory at Stonebrook,” not to mention a fair bit more secular, given the surge in refugees of various religious backgrounds. “But a proper school requires more space.” Now that she mentioned the purpose behind her proposal she paused, though she seemed to be queuing up mentally a barrage of reasons, perhaps even statistics that explained how a proper school brought commerce, increased the social and economic status of it’s citizenry, and other such arguments for her case.
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Sections of pie slowly disappear as Treadwell continues listening.

"A proper school, mmph mmph."

Meaty hand reaches up to brush crumbs and flecks of berry-filling from beard and lips.

"I see no harm in that, hm hm. How much space might you need, at a guess, mmph, and, well, what all are you looking to have done? Why does the Meeting House come into this, for instance, hrm?"

The Lord Steward here sighs, staring at the remaining slab of pie before him. The Glutton's hunger is unending, yes, but there are, admittedly, limits to what this human body can consume at once. The box is closed over the remaining delight, and once more he rises, slowly, this time to shuffle into the kitchen with the pie box, setting it on the table and removing the apron he'd put on over his clothes--a giant bib, basically, if the truth were stated. When he emerges, one hand on his cane and the other rubbing his gut, he gives Genny a nod and waves again to the rocking chairs.

"We might as well sit in comfort, dearie, if we are to talk of business, hm hm, and I do not fancy moving my rolling chair out here, hrm, when I have a perfectly good rocker there. Tell me more, eh? What specifics, mmph, do you have in mind?"

And with that said, the wheezy fellow sinks again with a groan into his rocking chair, joints and chair a-creak as he settles, hands again taking up their positions at rest on a stomach long since pushed to the brink, now twice in one day.

"The Meeting House and the Inquisitory, you say? What of 'em, mmph mmph?"
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:39 pm

The remaining pie held her gaze, as if she stared right through it, all of her attention focused on listening. The trance was broken however, by the closing lid, prompting her to stand and reply.

“The Meeting hall is ideal, it could be expanded and serve multiple purposes, being used throughout the year for lessons rather than on the rare occasions of a council call, judgment, or social function,” the councilors all had their own residences and shops where they conducted business anyway. This very meeting was an example of that.

“We wouldn’t be destroying or replacing the function. In the process of expansion we would of course include much needed repairs and improvement to the existing structure,” which was, already, one of the larger buildings in Myrken.

Following his gesture she stepped slowly to the rocking chairs and set a hand on the arm of one to steady the thing as he settled into it cautiously. Obviously, not out of fear of it breaking, so much as swaying more than she intended.

“For the specifications, I’ve commissioned an architect to draw up a proposal; at least, if you find the idea agreeable,” she offered a small pause and a tilt of her head as if, without directly asking, to determine whether he liked the suggestion. “… I will have it sent.”

She leaned back, though her posture still held some formality as her voice changed ever so slightly. She spoke more friendly then, with less of the defensive and prepared rationality of a debater. The softer inflection hinted at her passion in the project, “but I assure you, my goal is to improve what already exists and provide the people of Myrken opportunity.”
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:58 pm

"I suppose that could work, mmph mmph, all of it. So the existing seats, table, kitchen, offices, storage, mmph, and the like would be untouched? You would merely be, hrm hrm, adding to the existing building?"

Treadwell shrugs his shoulders.

"Making the floors anew from stuff a bit stronger might be in order. Some days, hm hm, I fear for my safety in certain parts of the building. And widening doors and hall spaces might be needed, mmph, for the days I need my rolling chair. I expect to be able to work, mmph, in my office there while class is in session."

A nod, a scratch-scratch at well-fed stomach.

"So I reckon, mmph, looking everything over would not hurt, eh, dearie? We can discuss specific changes and the like then. Now, my chief concern, hmph, would be the question of what to do if an emergency session or trial needed calling. Would the school be able to, mmph, make room and space as appropriate for such to proceed apace?"

And thus does Treadwell slowly begin to rock with a shift of his feet. He certainly seems at ease.
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:20 pm

"Untouched, unless they need repairs," she smiled reassuringly at his concern, the idea was not to just make the space bigger after all, but to make it more functional. "As you say, the doors could be wider, the floors reinforced, and of course the council spaces would be kept separate for the most part, offices and the like."

When he says he'll look everything over, Genny can't help but to smile wide, delighted. But her composure is quickly regained, "I can have the plans sent today! You'll see that with what I have in mind we can create at least three larger spaces nearly the equivalent to the current hall so concurrent sessions should never be a problem. And schedules could be arranged for the convenience of the council," alternative scheduling or a compromise could be made at the very least.

Eager now to get the plans, Genny inches towards the edge of her seat, nearly ready to bolt from the shop. But she pauses there, though her posture says she is ready to stand.

"Perhaps, if you make a list of items you would see changed or repaired then I can have the architect address these prior to our next meeting?" If he sent her this then their next conversation would be far more productive than a dragged out back and fourth to incorporate adjustments to the original design.
Tolleson

Next

Return to Downtown Myrkentown