A Message from Home

A Message from Home

Postby Treadwell » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:01 am

Aloisius Treadwell wakes from a nap some time around lunch to hear a fist banging at his front door. Up he wobbles, dragging his sleepy, red-robed self to the entrance.

"Councilor! Got a letter fer ye, sir!" Such are the words from the butter-haired messenger lad. Treadwell merely raises a fluffy white eyebrow, thanks the boy, and fishes a few shillings from a bowl by the door expressly for such tipping purposes. With a merry "Thank ye, sir!" the boy goes on his way, leaving Tready to shut the door, lock it, and sink into his fireside rocker at home.

The letter is written in a shaky script he's not seen for some time--that of one Benedict Took, the frail, aging local pastor and all around bearer of bad news in Westenford, Amasynia.

= = = = =

To Aloisius Treadwell, Myrken Wood

Magistrate Treadwell,

I must regretfully inform you of a decision recently made by your wife, Blanche. She came to me several days ago with a request--and accompanying very large donation to the church in Westenford--to annul your longstanding marriage to her on grounds that you were not taking care of your duties as a husband by your leaving your wife and daughter in Westenford to live and work in Myrken Wood without further support for their welfare. I had little choice but to agree and to accept her request. In addition, Blanche has sold your estate to your neighbor and has left Westenford without saying where she went.

I am at work to console your daughter in these matters. I give you my deepest apologies and wish you the best.

Respectfully,
Benedict Took

= = = = =

Treadwell, of course, doesn't make it to the end of the message. The oversized town councilor ends up a broken, weeping mess by the middle of the first paragraph, rocking there by the fire without a word.
Treadwell

Return to Downtown Myrkentown