Of Madness and Mayhem

Postby Drache » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:44 pm

Lilani

Lilani allowed herself to be hustled out of Ellie's room, her face contorted thoughtfully. Despite her earlier politeness to the old woman, her lack of people skills were showing in that she seemed unaware that their conversation should be taken elsewhere.

"At this time all I can think of to do is create some abjurative infusions to protect those worst effected and Hallow the grounds here," she admitted. "And take care of the mundane maladies as quickly as possible to keep the beds free. And see about that tavern across the street." This last was added quietly as Lilani moved with Janessa down the halls, tucking her decorated hair behind her pointed ears as her feet made muffled footsteps on the pristine floor.

And it seemed they hadn't finished a moment too soon.

----

Drache

Drache arrived in the road near the Rememdium with her precious cargo still in-claw and her serpentine tail coiled around Genny's hips. The fanfare that preceded them was one of the rush of flame and a flash of orange and white light that billowed up into the night sky. It faded rapidly into the darkness, but not before streaming through the windows of the Rememdium and bathing the front-facing rooms with the ruddy glow.

The warm tail disappeared as Drache started forward, bloody wings spread gently for balance. The lacerating wounds stung annoyingly and each movement caused them to bleed freely, streaking the golden membranes black in the darkness to match her glittering dress. "Come," she repeated flatly to the red-head, turning to look up and down the road briefly as she moved towards the building. She paused only at the front door, waiting for Genny to open it for her.
Drache

Postby Tolleson » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:10 pm

They had arrived no sooner than they had departed, instantly it seemed; though it could have been days or months for the toll on her frantic heart. Like a humming bird it fluttered, but so heavily in her chest that the cavity barely seemed deep enough to contain it. Frightened by the flames that had just consumed her in the travel and never having done it before there was a sickness building in her stomach and lightness is her head. Neither which kept her from immediately obeying once her hips were released. Rushing forward she'd nearly trip and fall into the door, grabbing onto the handle and reeling back without a care to find her balance. It was customary to knock, especially at night but the Rememdium was rarely closed.

Standing clear, the portal open, she watched the two of them in horror, first a torn up dragon woman and in her arms the healer's unconscious Companion. So focused she was on James at the Ball that she could only remember snippets of what had transpired after he fell. Rather like watching it from a distance, the punch, the fire, the smoke, Christoph, Lamai, the golden guards, Des and Fred. All of it blurring together the details hazy. The extent of Drache's wounds hadn't truly been comprehended until this very moment as she stood holding the door, looking upon them both. "T-t-thank y-you," her mouth was dry, she felt parched as the desert and burnt as its inhabitants. At least the fire had consumed her tears, for now, there had been too much crying the last few nights.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:23 am

It was evident then that Janessa had become well atuned to her role in looking after the Rememdium and there would be a few moments when the portal opened that the few staff that worked with the Doctor's Assistant would come out of the rooms they had been busy in to look down the hallway at the trio that had just emerged. The red haired woman in her pristine white dress didn't need to say anything before the others scurried off to prepare one of the rooms. Janessa came towards them then, her pale green eyes moving between the three to the two that were injured.

"Take him to this room here." She said, pointing in the direction of the room that was already being prepped and prepared. As the others would move she would reach out to carefully try to touch Genny's shoulder in assurance as she looked between the two women who seemed capable of speech, the dragon's presence not even causing her to blink. In fact there was a certain amount of comfort in seeing one that reminded her of home a little. "What can you tell me of his injuries?" She'd ask as they entered the room, the healer pausing a moment to catch one of the girls working there

"Fetch the Druid." She'd ask the girl before coming to attend to those that had been injured.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:36 am

Lilani

The Druid wasn't far, having parted Janessa's side only to settle near a window for a moment and eye the dark building across the street while she regained some of her strength, taking the opportunity to collect her thoughts. There was much to consider and her small callused fingers clutched tightly at her staff. She wasn't unaware that the task she had taken on was large and challenging and potentially deadly. Fleeting twists of motion on the edges of her vision and half-whispers drifting in the halls told her that after using the spell of True Seeing to speak with the dead, she was now more attuned to their presence. It wasn't exactly a blessing.

A hot orange glow illuminated the hallway in a brief flash and Lilani was on her feet, soft moccasins carrying her around a corner where she very nearly crashed into the girl Janessa had sent to fetch her.

"M-miss Janessa..." the girl started breathlessly, but Lilani cut her off.

"Is there fire?" she asked hurriedly, and the girl shook her head.

"No, it's a d-dragon!" the girl gasped even more breathlessly. Together, they scurried down the hall to where the Healer was attending the new patients.

---

Drache

Moving into the building on taloned feet, the half-dragon offered no reply to Genny's thanks. She paused in the entryway, the drip of fat blood-drops from her wings drowned out by the patter of footsteps hurrying in her direction.

Still decked out in jewels and gown but now wounded and bloody with a body in her arms, the effect made her look even more ferocious than usual. This wasn't the first time she had ended up in an Infirmary and she didn't like it any more than she did the last time. She moved swiftly to carry James to the indicated room, answering the Healer's query as she did so.

"They are mossst likely in his mind more than his body. I am not familiar with the nature of his mental connection to the Healer Lamai but when Catch used his magic to attack her, it was this one who collapsssed. As far as I am aware he wasn't actually touched. His name is James."

There was a note of concern in her voice but it was easy to miss. Her speech was more growly than usual, likely a result of the lacerations on her wings. She deposited the handsome man gently on the prepared cot and stepped back to let the healers do their work, and so that she was no longer in Genny's way.
Drache

Genny

Postby Tolleson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:17 am

To the ladies of the Rememdium she let Drache answer the questions, shocked from not only the whole bloody affair but being whisked away by flames. Her eyes followed James, blood either from him or from Drache drizzled and smeared across her once white dress. But here, in this infirmary, she was more comfortable than she had been at the dance. At least here it was more like her father's practice, at least here they could help. With Lamai down there was no one left to help there. A gentle hand was appreciated, she'd even begun to calm and if they'd allow her to follow she'd force herself and her frozen muscles to yield so she might follow.

Before she fled to James' side once more she addressed both Drache and the ladies, "I-I have ... no experience with mental afflictions, this is... oh gods... something so complicated." Near tears again she glanced back to James, before returning to more sincerely offer thanks. Thanks to Drache who despite the wounds she had sustained remained calm and composed, then to Janessa, Lilani, and whatever other nurses and healers had gathered. "I-if it will help I can... I have experience as an herbalist ... I can make a salve for your wings or... help with other patients in need of herbal remedies." The to the healers more directly, as Drache had already done so much, "please... please do everything you can," there was earnest pleading in her demeanor and in her voice as it cracked and choked backed tears.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:12 am

Janessa as always was the perfect listener, remaining calm and nodding at just the right moments as Drache described the injuries of the man who was fallen and laying on the cot. He would not bleed out from mental injuries and already she knew from what the Dragon had described that his wounds were not something that were within her scope to deal with. For Drache there would be a moment when the red haired healer would nod slightly at her assessment.

"I understand. This isn't the first affliction of the sort that this place has seen I'm sure. There's another healer here and I'm sure she will attend to him as best that she can. I can see to your wings if you like." She would motion the dragon over to the empty chair, not wanting to seperate all the parties into different rooms just yet. There were still too many questions to answer and there was Genny who was beginning to blubber.

Pale green eyes turned to the young woman in her lovely gown that was smeared with blood and Janessa would offer her a slight incline of her head at the words that spilled out of Genny's mouth. A part of her was touched by what could clearly be seen as some sort of affection for the fallen man and the healer felt a great deal of empathy for her, reaching to try to take the girl's hands for a moment.

"Miss, I can certainly agree that I haven't healed anyone in his condition before, but I can tell you that he isn't the first to have suffered such things. Where I am from there are many with mind connections and healers who can aid them. Give Lilani a chance to see if she can help. What I can tell you is to be grateful that his wounds are not to his body. The mind is an amazing thing with a brilliant power for recovery but as people we only have so much blood and so much flesh. We should be grateful that he is alive and breathing with us here. We will do everything we can for him, I promise you that much." She could tell that the girl needed to be busy, needing to be doing something and she would nod slightly.

"Why don't you assist me here? I could use a good salve for the lady's wings." She'd look to Drache then and offer her a delicate smile.

"Now then, my name's Janessa...I'm rather familiar with the anatomy of your kind but before I begin I should ask if you've ever had any adverse reaction to healing magicks? I know a spell that should work for your wings, but I do know that sometimes it reacts poorly if the other is a mage."
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:51 am

Drache

The dragoness was edging back towards the door, having delivered as much information as she could think of that was pertinent at the time. Christoph may have wished for her to take James directly to her lair, but she had no way to care properly for a human in a coma. The best she could do would be to offer him the chance to stay there when he woke up, though she would be sure to check on him in the Rememdium frequently.

At the offer to heal her wings her brows raised in surprise. No matter how long she lived among the ground-bound races she would never become quite accustomed to having Healing as an option. It was only natural and instinctive to want to slip off and lick her wounds in solitude.

"Drache Sssgarsiath," she returned, "and yesss, I have. I am a mage indeed, but that's not why." A clawed hand splayed briefly over her belly. She wasn't showing quite yet, even in the slinky dress, but the motion was universal. She frowned slightly. "A sssalve would be appreciated, but no ssspells. I will take care of it in my own time. But the bleeding..."

She trailed off and took another good look at her wings, grimacing. The blood was thick and dark and starting to dry, which made it itchy. Each movement broke the cuts open again and caused them to sting. It would take her a long time to clean it off, though human hands could accomplish the task in far less.

As though resigning herself to having to show some weakness, she turned the chair backwards and sat, her tail curling politely beneath it so that it wouldn't be in the way when the Healers began their work.

---

Lilani

"I will do my best," came the lyrical voice at the doorway. It was hard to say just how long she'd been standing there with her staff in her hand, but it couldn't have been too long with all the busy workers bustling in and out. She smiled brightly at Genny, her face the kind you might expect to find on a dryad or a nymph rather than a half-human.

"I'm Lilani," she introduced herself simply, moving forward into the room and setting her hair clinking gently. She looked from the distraught red-head to the man on the bed, but her interest lingered longest over the half-dragon. A honey-coloured eyebrow raised in intrigue. Magical beasts were fascinating to one such as her after all.

"-You- are a Red," she said obviously. "I'll want to talk to you later. Remember not to use water on this one or all of us will need Healers." This last was said with a giggle and directed to the rest of the helpers in the room. Amazing how the petite Tree Guardian could sound so authoritative in someone else's domain. She glanced up at the window and then moved purposefully over to stand beside James. She was so petite that bending over to peer at him was easier than kneeling at his bedside. Small fingers brushed his temple and the half-elf's navy blue and forest green eyes closed in concentration. The runes on her staff glowed pleasantly.

She remained still for many long moments, during which James's fingers executed their twitch. When Lilani finally pulled away she looked relieved as the runes faded to blackness.

"It is as Janessa said. His mind is not broken, but he needs time to rest. He will be tired and weak when he awakes, and I can not tell you how long it might take."
Drache

Postby Tolleson » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:05 pm

She let her hands be taken and she would begin to calm. Healers were not especially common, but she had seen them before. Watching the young woman was surreal. It was clear Genny had seen some magic, but the good subtle kind was new to her. Chewing her lip as his fingers twitched she would watch until Lilani had a report for her. Relief washed over her and composure was had as she heard James would be all right given time. He was strong, surely it wouldn't be long.

As for Miss Drache who was in need of immediate help, the redhead only looked to her hands. "Let me wash up... I'll... do you... is there a kitchen or... library?" She really needed an apothecary's study or even a station, but she'd never inquired as to whether or not the Rememdium had one. "There... are some things I..." trailing off she watched Drache wincing sympathetically for her.

Her eyes went searching to Lilani as Janessa, she assumed, would probably be staying with Drache. It would take time for her to create the soothing salve, but it would encourage healing and keep the wounds free of infection.

Oh James, every now again she'd look back to him anticipating that any moment he might wake. Everything would be all right, so long as she kept busy.
Tolleson

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am

"There's a little room down the hall where we keep our herbs and salves, you should find everything you need in there." She'd assure Genny, looking back at Drache and nodding her understanding.

"I understand completely. Many people don't approve of magical healing. It isn't my strongest talent either, I'm far more skilled with the more mundane. No water though? I suppose that should make cleaning your wounds a bit more difficult. At the very least I can stop the bleeding until your young friend gets back." She'd assure Drache, moving for the countertop where she kept the bandages and supplies, picking up some of a clean cloth that she intended to use to apply some pressure to the wound.

If all else was going well Janessa would set to her work of staunching the blood flow, waiting on the young woman to come back with her salve.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 pm

Drache

The half-dragon snorted at the Druid's tone and practically stuck her snout up at the request, if it could be called that, to speak later. But she didn't argue with the assessment. It was true. She had a complicated relationship with water. Her inherited weakness to it reared its head in unexpected ways, further twisted by a life full of magical exploits and divine interventions. A measure of aloofness in her demeanor came easily at the moment, the best mask she had for the pain. She'd been hurt far worse before, but that didn't make the pain seem any less at the moment.

She became very still as the Druid moved over to look at James, pupils constricting, the muscles under her scales relaxing with relief only when Lilani offered them the fairly good news.

Her gaze flicked briefly to Genny. She considered telling the girl not to worry about her, to see to James who she so obviously cared about. She didn't want the pie-maker fussing over -her- in the face of what had happened. But she kept her fangs closed, not able to put into words the understanding that keeping busy might be better for the human but knowing it on some level.

"It'sss not that I don't approve," she grumbled moodily, turning her attention back to Janessa. "If you mussst use water make sure it's as hot as posssible, otherwise it will do more damage than good. I usually use fired sssand to clean. Or clear liquor." She smirked at that, having been looked at skeptically in the past when delivering that little tidbit. The pressure on her wing earned a hiss and a snap of growl that was quickly stifled.

---

Lilani

The Druid was anticipating having many more patients under her care in short order. It was mildly irksome that the first would simply be taking up a bed until he decided to wake up, and the second was refusing anything more than mundane care. Not that she disagreed with the drake's choice, it was just a bit anticlimactic wasn't it? Oh well. At least the half-dragon would be gone shortly. Creatures like that never lingered long in places like this. She was willing to bet this was the same dragonkin who's territory marks were so...interesting.

Bright eyes settled on Genny. So she wanted to help? Fantastic! She'd been here only a short time and it was plain to her that they would need all the skilled and not-so-skilled healers they could find soon enough.

"Come, Miss," she said cheerfully, not yet knowing Genny's name. "We'll go together. If I'm to be working here myself I'd better start learning my way around too." She offered a small hand towards the red-head. It was a hand callused and scarred from long years of working outdoors. Her other hand still held the carved staff.
Drache

Previous

Return to The Rememdium Edificium