The Doctor

The Doctor

Postby Suede » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 pm

One Lucas Brennan grew up in Myrken Wood during some of its brighter years. Those days most could barely remember before the Baie, before the drow, before the wars, dragons, vampires, and demons. His family was of middling means. The son of a cobbler and a baker's assistant, they worked hard and lived comfortably.

In his youth he'd shown an interest and aptitude for the healing arts. Lucas had spent his time trailing after the healers of the Rememdium, soaking up whatever tidbits he could as they fixed the townsfolk and travelers alike. His parents had encouraged this curiousity, finding him books of study and even paying for some tutorship with one of the local doctors. When he'd come of age he'd been told that much of what they'd made had been put aside to pay for him to school in Razasan.

And to school he went. To what was considered one of the finest academies on the continent, or so they boasted. There here delved into his learning and eventually graduated. He had a piece of paper that said he could fix a broken person, and an offer to work within the city's own hospital. There he'd remained until the most recent letter from his parents.

It told him of the conditions of the town; the horrors, the earthquake, those who fell ill or wounded, and the dying. Lucas also learned that his cousin was sick from a mist in the air weeks back after the quake. They'd begged him come and see to her.

It took some effort to escape the city, and then a tedious carriage ride that ended on the road between the Dagger and Rememdium. Dr. Brennan had stepped down from the cabin with one hand holding his hat in place and the other shouldering a bag with all his worldly goods. His brown eyes peered up from under the brim of his hat towards the Dagger and he'd shaken his head. A glance was given for the town, he'd send a runner down to tell his family he was home.

Then at last he turned about smartly and walked into the door of the Edificium. He was home, he'd quit his old job. If things were as bad as they said in Myrken, he was needed here more. There was quite a bit of work that could be done.
Suede

Re: The Doctor

Postby Dulcie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:37 am

Quite a bit of work to be done indeed! Where had a Doctor been when the town had begun going mad with visions of their beloved and not so beloved dead? Or when the dragons attacked? Or when the earthquake shook people's homes down upon them. It was a very good thing indeed that the lone assistant left in the Rememdium was not a bitter woman because it had been through these very trying times that she had managed to muddle through and take care of things well enough. There had been lives lost certainly, but there was little blame put upon the young woman. No, Janessa was a vision of diligence, attending to every need that the Rememdium had, keeping the patients safe and comfortable and cared for in the best ways that she knew how, but other than a small number of herbal remedies and the basics of bone setting and wound binding she was no replacement for a Doctor.

She had heard the rumour of course that a Doctor would be coming to their humble town and she couldn't help but to feel the relief of it. His arrival had been anticipated for days, but at the sound of the carriage pulling up nearby the only image that came to her mind was that of the dead bodies that had been wheeled through the Rememdiums double doors. There had been so much death lately, so many pieces of bodies that had to be kept together, shown to families and turned over to be burnt on the funeral pyres. The experience had been harrowing and her stomach churned with the nervous anticipation that this could be another. Still, she had a duty to perform, and it would not be one that she neglected.

Her little white shoes clicked softly down the pristine floors of the Rememdium. Cleanliness had not faltered in the time that she had been caring for the building, but the quiet noises of patients in the rooms was indication enough that there was still plenty of work to be done here. She'd almost be at the door when it was pulled open, revealing one very much in tact man standing there and looking around as if he knew that this was exactly where he was supposed to be.

She paused mid-step and stood where she was, folding her hands neatly in front of her. She was a small woman, perhaps in her early thirties though she had the build of a dancer, thin and willowy. She was wearing a simple cotton dress, all white with matching shoes and her red hair had been twisted up into a bun at the nape of her neck, a few slightly curly locks having escaped to fall and frame her face.

"It would be wishful thinking on my part to assume you to be Dr. Brennan. My name's Janessa and I'm an assistant here, can I help you with anything Sir?" Her tone was soft and gentle, the kind of voice that a dying man wouldn't mind listening to as it held almost a hint of melody to it. It was a shame that it had to be the last voice that so many had heard. Too many had been lost here without the help of a doctor.
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:27 pm

"I'll be honest, I don't make it a habit of granting wishes... but I'll do just one for you today." The man set the large bag he'd been carrying on the ground beside the door with one hand and pulled the round-brimmed hat off his head with the other. He pressed it to his chest and offered her a little bow. "Dr. Lucas Brennan of the Myrken Brennans, at your service."

Lucas looked to be in his late 20s or early 30s. His hair was a light blonde cut off at his neck and lightly oiled to hold it all swept back from his face. He wore a black vest and jacket over a white shirt just peaking out from beneath both. Black pants and boots accompanied the ensemble to make his dress seem a bit dour. A contrast to the soft smile beneath his green eyes.

Lucas straightened his posture and offered a hand out towards as his eyes drifted around the Rememdium in consideration. It'd been some time since he'd been here. "You could assist me with a small tour, if you have the time and nothing pressing is about. I hope nothing pressing is about, since you'd be surprised how tired you can get sitting in a carriage all day."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:54 pm

She smiled graciously at his little joke and nodded her head. She had elegant movements which made her a strange fit for Myrken to begin with and even stranger yet within the context of the Rememdium, however she seemed to be quite established within the place. She'd take his hand, her own small one fitting easily in his hand. "It's my pleasure to meet you Dr. Brennan. We've been waiting a long time for a Doctor in this place. I'm sure having come from the area you were familiar with Dr. D'Rael and his expertise. I was hired as his assistant a number of years ago but I'm afraid I've been the only one to try to fill his shoes and I simply haven't the experience nor the skill that I need to address all of Myrken Wood's ills. I must say, your arrival has been much anticipated."

When he mentions the tour she would incline her head in agreement. "Of course. It's a quiet evening. There's just a few beds filled, people who had more serious injuries after the earthquake, but most are stable now, broken bones for the most part. If you'd please Doctor, I'll show you to your office first, I've kept all of Dr. D'Rael's notes and paperwork in order. They were a great help at preventing a number of illnesses that he had found cures for. I'm sure that you'll find them quite informative. I've added my notes as well, there's no brilliant cures of course but I've been documenting the ailments and more unusual illnesses that I've come across her in recent years. The strangest has to have been the madness about half a year past now. People were convinced that they were seeing the dead... quite unusual. But I digress. This way please."

She'd motion for him to follow her, leading the way off of the main entrance towards the door that lead to the Doctor's office. As she had stated everything was neatly kept in order, no papers left laying about, everything filed away in it's proper place with the jars of samples and study materials just as the previous doctor had left them.

"We do have a resident druid as well. She's not formally agreed to stay on permanently, but she's been an amazing help me recently. Her name is Lilani and I think she might still be about here somewhere, perhaps we'll find her on the tour."
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:17 pm

His hand is taken and he'd draw hers up near his face as he bows one more time. A mock kiss to the back in proper courtly fashion. He was still fresh out of the capitol to be sure. When he stands straight again he's already lifting his bag off the floor and dropping that hat back on his head. "I remember him, I used to run around in here a bit when I was younger."

Lucas trailed after her, giving her a few steps to lead him back towards the former doctor's office. He did pause once or twice to glance into a patient's room and see to their general condition. As they neared the door he whistled softly and gave her a look. "Well I do hope you'll be sticking around. You've managed far better than you give yourself credit for, and if what I hear is true I'm going to need all the help I can get."

Several steps into the office and he tosses his bag to the side and the hat onto the desk. He had a feeling he'd be in this room quite a bit, at least until he'd read over some of the more pertinent notes. "What's this madness that happened? I haven't heard about that one. Has it passed fully?"

He walked around the desk and glanced in a few of the drawers. "I'll leave my stuff in here for now if that's alright, better than dragging it along with me as we go." And she mentions a druid, he's heard of them but hadn't had much experience with them. The Bright and the priests of it tended to dominate in Razasan. "The more the merrier, is she a healer?"
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:54 pm

His courtly gesture was most appreciated, that was for certain. As they entered the doctor's office she'd watch him from the doorway her hands folded carefully in front of her, though at the compliment to her bookkeeping she'd smile, pleased that her hard work had been recognized. "I have no intentions of going anywhere. Myrken has been my home for years now and I'm more comfortable in this place than I have been anywhere else. I worked in a healing house before I came here, though I admit there was little need for a conventional healer, many there had more magical talents."

She nodded when he asked if he could leave his things in that room. "Of course. This is your office now. You'll find the key is in the top drawer in case you feel the need to lock it. Dr. D'Rael did from time to time if he was concerned about his research being used improperly." She'd motion for him to follow her as she'd continue to explain about the madness. "It appears to be gone completely. It left almost as suddenly as it had begun. I was concerned for a time, it started out subtly, dreams and thoughts of the dead and then people were claiming that the dead had returned, touched them even. Some even came in spinning stories of the dead come to life, walking in the streets. It was quite disturbing. I believe Lilani was able to help those patients better than I was." She lead him across the hall, pressing open the door to what appeared to be a supply closet.

"In here we have all of our herbs, you can see they're drying over there and supplies are all stacked up on the shelves and labelled. I take care of all of that so if you come up with any other remedies I'll be happy to put them in order for you. All of the patient rooms have little cupboards in them as well with the supplies we need most often." She considered then what to say about Lilani. "She is a healer, yes. She's done wonders with the herb garden and she has a very kind way with the people here. We've been blessed that she crossed our path."
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:23 pm

The smile is returned in kind and he sifts through the drawers he'd been going through to pull out the key in question and pocket it. Best to have it on hand just in case. "I never had a talent or interest in the magical. It's great when it's available, but there are usually more people in need of help than there is magic to go around. And I've always been better with my hands."

Hands that were patting at his pockets to make sure he had anything he might need in the immediate future. Confident enough he was set, he motioned he was following and left the room with a soft click of the door closing behind him. "Mass delusions aren't unheard of, but it could have been something more. Magic can do a lot more than heal." Part of the reason he avoided it, magic always had a cost. At least he knew what was going to happen when he did things his way.

Lucas leans into the door of the supply room, an arm on the door frame as he quickly scanned the interior. "Is there a list of everything we have somewhere? Just so I can bother you later about what I don't recognize or to get a few things I might want that we're not stocking." He'd be in the room looking at it all later anyways, but a concise list helped.

"That explains the good stock, then. Hopefully we can keep her from wandering off. I hear the woodsy types tend to do that." He couldn't blame them, staying in one place too long, especially Myrken, was rough. "How many patients usually come by in a week?"
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 pm

"I don't blame you, I don't have much of a hand for magic myself. I've tried it and I can manage a little, but like you said it comes with a cost and I find that it's so taxing it would only be worthwhile if it was one patient and they were only mildly injured. I'm much better with my hands as well."

She would lead him out of the room then, motioning for him to follow her down the main hallway, the one that lead past the patient rooms. Some were occupied while others were empty, clean and waiting for the next disaster of Myrken. "There is a list of all of our supplies, you'll find it in your office, the only things that might be out of date would be the herbs. Lilani usually takes care of those herself and there are some that she uses that I'm a little unfamiliar with." She'd peek into a few of the occupied rooms, checking to make sure that the patients were sleeping, her voice lowered to a quiet tone to make sure that she wouldn't wake anyone.

"It really depends on the week. During a good week we might see one or two people, farming accidents and such. In fact for almost a year that was about the worst that we saw. Recently though it's been one disaster to the next and I've been run off of my feet. A few of the farmwives have been out to help me with some of the little things, stitching wounds and such. I wouldn't have been able to have managed without them. I suppose the only good answer is that I haven't got an answer for you. We could go from empty beds to a building full of more people than we can handle in the blink of an eye."

She'd continue leading down the long hallway. "I think I remember your parents mentioning that you had been working in Razasan? How did you like your work there?" It was small talk, but it was something she had a talent for. Whenever she spoke a question she sounded truly interested, her green eyes shifting to glance at him for a moment as she continued to lead.
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Lilani

It could be fairly difficult to find a Druid when she was out in the wilderness, tending to the Balance she lived to maintain. But when Lilani was at the Rememdium, there was one spot she was likely to be: The Herb Garden. She didn't often spend much time with the actual patients. Her method of healing was rapid and complete, but she couldn't take on nearly the volume of hurts that Janessa could. And she was undependable, prone to disappearing for days or weeks on end, purifying streams, talking to ents, stopping by at this or that farm to return a wayward pig or goat or sheep and leaving a family with land more fertile than it had been in generations.

But she made up for her flighy behaviour by leaving the Rememdium stocked better than it had been in a very long time. The tiny half-elf was an expert at infusions and concoctions, salves and creams, and a hundred other ways to turn a plant into an agent of healing, many of which had something to do with the energy she pulled from the earth and sky.

Up the hall from where Janessa was giving the new Doctor a tour, two double doors stood wide and the curtains bordering them billowed serenely as the cold winter air drifted in. Beyond them, the profusion of green sprawled out across the fenced area of the garden. What the Druid had abandoned in the way of strict organized rows of plants was well made up in the sheer size and variety. A learned healer could likely find every plant they could have ever wished for, including many that were distinctly out of season and several that were completely exotic. The woody and evergreen scents billowed with the wind, offering a gentle cover to the more astringent and fouler smells of the hospital. And not every space was given over to the herbs. There were blooming winter flowers too that offered something to look at for the patients able to shuffle out and enjoy the fresher, if chillier air.

As if she had heard her name, the Druid suddenly appeared from behind a particularly large clump of yellow witch hazel near the door, all the bulging pockets of her apron full of fragrant greenery. She was petite of frame and sunny of complexion, with a pretty heart-shaped face complete with a tiny nose and cheerful dimples. Her hair was long and golden-blonde, decorated with feathers, antler beads, shells, and big fat snowflakes that had yet to melt. Her pointed ears just barely showed through the long locks. She was dressed in buckskin and soft, undyed wool. Plenty of fringes on her sleeves and the hem of her skirt and the toes of her thick deerhid boots peeked up from underneath.

"Good morning!" came the cheerful, lilting tone, and she looked between two taller people. Her eyes were a verdant green, ringed with a stormy blue, and possessed just a little bit of a wildness that was more a give-away than anything else that she wasn't just some cheery helpful peasant-girl. Nearby, an oaken quarterstaff stood straight up from the cobblestone walkway, the unfinished surface carved with runes that glowed a pastel green. The Companion wolf appeared to be absent, though his sizeable footprints were reasonably fresh in the snow all around. And in his stead, Lilani was joined by a myriad of colourful winter birds. Cardinals, blue-backed robins, wrens, chickadees, and sparrows, all twittering and chirping and cheeping. Only one bird roosted stoically on the lip of a snow-filled marble fountain, a black and white pied raven who seemed to have his eye solely on the Druid.
Drache

Postby Suede » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 am

"I get tired enough working all day, I don't need anything compounding it. Never had a knack for it anyways. Some of the priests offered classes as electives. I took one and proceeded to fail miserably at it. I think if I tried on a real patient I'd likely give them strange warts." He'd peer over her shoulder at each room to see who occupied it, though he made no effort to interfere with their case.

"With a little luck this will be a quiet week so I can look over those lists and get a handle on things at first. I'll make sure to ask Lilani about any botanical concerns before I come to you for any help finding any supplies I might want." He was a casual man, forgoing most of the courtly manner he'd initially displayed in jest at the start for an easier air. He stuffed one hand in his pocket as they continued to move towards the gardens. "I suppose they'd be willing to help again if we need it?"

Then his eyes widen a bit and he turns his smile upon Janessa in full force. "My parents? I'd forgotten just how connected and small Myrken can be. Everyone knows everyone. I guess that in part answers you question. It was sterile. There are so many people you don't see half of them again after you help them. It felt more like a business than actually helping. And most of the time I was just giving people herbs for their colds."

He didn't think being back here would be similar at all. "The city is massive and busy, but the seaside view is amazing. I did love the breeze."

And as he said that they stepped out into the veritable wild lands of the herb garden. Lilani came into view as he was whistling softly, bending sharply at the waist to stare at a rather bright blue flower. "I didn't expect there to be a jungle out here, I don't even know where to step." He turns his green eyes up and waves to the druid, then offers the same hand out to her in greeting. "Lucas Brennan, pleasure to meet you."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 pm

"I don't blame you. Magic can be quite exhausting and it's rather painful for the patient when it isn't executed properly. I'm much better at setting bones with my hands than I am with doing it magically. There's so much more room there for error and I'd never want to actually cause anyone harm." No it didn't appear that the red haired woman had a mean bone in her body.

She listened quietly and with an experienced ear as he talked about his life in Razasan. "I grew up in a big city myself, near the seaside. It was a lovely view, though I moved years later. I've lived in many different places you know, a town somewhat like this one, full of chaos, though there magic was much more accepted. It was rare to find people like ourselves who chose not to use it. I spent some times in the mountains as well, a very small village there where I worked with the healers. I liked that a great deal, it was as you said, small and you felt that you were making a difference. I suppose that's part of why I like Myrken Wood so much. There is so much work that needs to be done here after all."

She saw Lilani then down at the end of the hallway and she smiled, lifting her hand in greetings. Brennan was introducing himself and she'd wait until he finished.

"This is Lilani, as I'm sure you could tell. Lilani, Dr. Brennan is the gentleman I mentioned about a week ago. He's come to take Dr. D'Rael's place. I've been showing him about the Rememdium but I'm sure you'd do a much better job explaining the garden than I would. Speaking of which Mr. Smythe was released today but he said to thank you for bringing him out to see the flowers."
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:59 pm

The Druid very nearly skipped over to grasp Brennan's hand, the decorations in her hair clinking together. "Nice to meet you, Lucas!" she exclaimed enthusiastically, nodding as Janessa stepped in to introduce her. She couldn't recall the number of times she had heard the red-headed healer lament over the loss of the previous doctor. The news about a patient going home healed brought a radiant grin to her dimpled face.

"Explain it?" she repeated with a dubious lift of a honey-coloured eyebrow. How did one explain a garden? Her bottom lip protruded for a moment, but she brightened again after a moment. "Okay!"

She moved off of the little cobbled path and almost disappeared into the plants. "Let's see, I've got mayflower, rosemary, colewort, and junpier over here. And the thyme, mace, hazelwort, and comfrey over here. There's the lavender, fenugreek, and fennel. Behind that partition is the foxglove and shamblerstalk and assassin vine, don't get close to it, that one's grumpy...." she carried on, pointing out the plants and often describing them as if she were introducing old friends to the new Doctor. "...some of these are just to flavour the other herbs so they aren't so bitter going down. Oh and here's the chamomile and burdock and calendula. And whatever I can't grow here I grow in my Grove. Things like willow for its bark and firecomb because it's too dangerous to put here. There will be even more when the spring comes...but...well that's it!"

Her cheeks had turned rosy with enthusiasm and she eventually wandered back, reaching out to pluck her quarterstaff from where it stood upright by itself. The pied crow nearby give a singular imperious "Craw!"

Lilani turned to him and pointed a finger. "Oh, shut up, you brat!"
Drache

Postby Suede » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

"A difference is what I hope to see, and I keep hearing how busy I'll be here. It makes me wish I had managed to convince someone to come with me." But no one had been really taken by the idea of moving to what they considered a backwater town with him to practice rustic medicine. He gave Janessa a small shrug. "It's not so much I choose not to use it, if I could really help people with it, I'd certainly do it. But such as it is, people will have to heal the old fashioned way."

Then Lilani was there and he more fully to her, attempting to repeat the gesture he'd made to Janessa on their introductions. And then the energetic girl was off to dance through the garden naming off all the plants. He could only watch in bemusement, avoiding stepping after her for lack of wanting to crush any of the plants with his clumsier steps. When she finished her introductions he nodded his head, grinning broadly. "I've forgotten half of that already, but I'll work on it."

"Do you two stay here, or do you have your own places?" He'd known a few folk had taken up longer term residence in the Rememdium before, but that was ages ago. And they may have just been hurt a lot. "And does the Dagger still have edible food? It's the closest place for midday meals, but I don't want to be spending my time treating myself for food poisoning."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:23 pm

She watched quietly while Lilani showed the good doctor about the garden. She knew better than to get herself too involved in trying to traipse about the plants, knowing how easy it was to step on one accidently. And so she stood there, her hands clasped in front of her as she waited for them to finish their little tour. The doctor had a few more words about magic to which she'd nod in agreement before they got into the conversation about housing.

"I live here. There's a little cottage right back there that I stay in." She side, motioning with her hand to point to a relatively recently built cottage that was on the property. "It was built shortly after I moved here, I used to live there with another assistant to the Rememdium but I'm the only one left now." She wasn't sure where Lilani stayed, the woman was unpredictable after all. "I believe that Dr. D'Rael used to live somewhere near here, I imagine one of the Councilor's would have a record if there was a property set aside for the Doctor."

At the comment about the food at the Dagger she'd laugh softly. "I believe the food there is fine. I used to live and eat there when I first arrived and I managed through the experience. You're welcome to eat with me from time to time if you'd like. You both are." She said, reminding Lilani of the invitation she had likely given before. Janessa was friendly when it came to feeding people. "I'm quite good at cooking and it's always a pleasant change to have someone to cook for."
Dulcie

Postby Drache » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:48 pm

The two other healers had less than enthusiastic reactions to the wonder of her herb garden, but that didn't seem to put Lilani off in the least. It was her job to be the one excited about plants and growing things. She continued to sternly chastise the pied raven while Lucas and Janessa discussed other things. The other birds grew quieter, fluttering away in small groups as Lilani's attention was on more important things. But she didn't miss a beat when it was her turn to speak again.

"I live in my Grove," she explained, without explaining exactly what or where that was. And then her cheerful expression grew serious as quick as a lightning strike. "Sometimes I stay here when there are a lot of patients. I'm sure Janessa already told you about the madness that recently passed? I stayed for that." Whether she meant 'here' as in the Rememdium or the garden itself, she didn't clarify. She turned to Janessa, her smile back.

"Someday I'll have to take you up on that. I mostly live off the forest, but a nice warm meal would be a nice change for me." She wiped her green-stained hands on her apron. It was a shapeless garment that bulged all over with odd objects stuffed in all the pockets. And then something occurred to her that put a serious look back on her face.

"Lucas. I don't know how much you know about Druids. I just want you to be aware that I am an animal-friend as much as a plant-friend. I try my best to keep them outside, but please do not grow upset if my friends come to visit me." She gestured towards the raven and the gathered songbirds. "My special Companion is a wolf from the distant grasslands. He looks like a very large fox. Please don't hurt him, if you see him." She glanced a little sheepishly to Janessa, who had taken the presence of Hikoti well in-stride, and hadn't even been that upset when he actually came inside the building.
Drache

Next

Return to The Rememdium Edificium