Outrageous fortune.

Re: Outrageous fortune.

Postby Waldemar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:52 am

The manifest boredom with which the older man greets Elliot's jibes betrays something of his history, of considerable time spent in the company of insufferable young men, sneering wastrels with a similarly high opinion of clothes, coin and their own importance. Not infuriating, merely wearying, and his words have the air of one who waves listlessly at an irritatingly persistent fly.

"What is it you do? Tailor's dummy, perhaps?" Certainly the boy isn't sufficiently well-bred for a life of preening foppery to come naturally, though he's rising admirably to the challenge. "Surprising, with a slouch like that."

A sniff, and the lout is dismissed from his thoughts once more as he turns back to the elven woman with a small shrug.

"All that matters is that they can haul grain sacks and follow instruction. Hands are hands." Her offer to stay with Cherny is met with a small shake of his head, however, polite but firm. "That will not be necessary, sera. I'm grateful for all you've already done, but I'm sure you have your own concerns that demand attention, hm?" He does not glance again for the impudent youth lounging against the wall, but then it's not as if that's even necessary.

"The boy is my responsibility. He will be looked after, be sure of that."
Nothing so bold as a miller's shirt, that every morning collars a thief.
Waldemar

Postby Glenn » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:24 pm

His responsibility, huh? Maybe he was going to suck out Cherny's soul and put it into a scarecrow. Something like that. Elliot wanted to call him on it, badly, wanted to call him on all the weird, twisted things he'd seen, that had gone beyond his wildest imagination when it came to what he thought he'd find in the mill.

Solena was there though, and all Elliot could do was shrug and smile. "I'm not very good at standing still either." That was it. No further clues. No further taunts. No further jibes. Just that. The teenager showed his hand too often lately and he well knew it. He wouldn't give Waldemar the satisfaction.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Elfling » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:55 am

Solena had to admit; part of her was disappointed. Part of her wanted to be there when the boy woke up, to see the look of surprise on his face. But, the other part of her knew that the next moment after surprise would probably be terror, and the boy could very well just hurt himself further. That part was relieved that the man had said no. Even so, there was the briefest moment where her slender, knife-pointed ears lowered in a slight wilt at his denial.

"Go on, Elliot. Wait for me outside," she told the boy who was finally learning there were times to mouth off and there were times to be quiet. It was only after Elliot had left the room that Solena fished out the slender vial with its luminescent blue liquid within. A gloved hand palmed it and offered it to the old man. The quip that poisons weren't the only thing she could brew almost left her tongue, but if Elliot was lingering outside to listen like a good apprentice would, then she needed to lead by example. Instead..

"I was going to give him this when he wakes up. It should help him recover faster. I'll see if I can find a pair of hands that can use a couple of days of decent work until he's up on his feet." Solena smiled quietly, glancing aside at the boy. "... and you might wait to mention where you got this until after he drinks it, should you give it to him at all."

Here she was with another opportunity. "Don't believe everything he says about me, either."
Elfling

Postby Glenn » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 am

"See ya soon." A wink, a salute, a grin. He could have been talking to Cherny, of course, or Solena, who had just told him to wait outside, or no, he was looking at the old mill owner. And he seemed so damned happy about it too. With a dramatic whirl Elliot Brown turned about and stepped outside, quietly closing a door behind him.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Waldemar » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:57 am

Elliot departs, and it is not an entirely unwelcome development; not even a glance, merely a flick of fingers in his vague direction, as if brushing away a speck of lint. Dismissed.

The miller's brows lift slightly as the elven woman offers that vial, before settling into a bemused frown as he peers at the dainty vessel; only for a moment, though, before he reaches to accept the vial between careful fingers, lifting it to squint more closely, examining the play of light through and within it. From her words, a healing draught of some sort; from a couple of days it is apparent that unless she underestimates the severity of the boy's wound it is quite potent.

"Thank you once again; I shall hold onto it. For the boy."

Those final cautions draw his gaze back to her, then, curious; but a wry smile follows, a creasing of features that doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"No need to worry about that, sera." Some small and private joke, perhaps. No matter. He offers a small bow, in any case, and a flick of his gaze to the door.

"Please, don't let me keep you. Young boys left idle are prone to such terrible mischief, hm?"
Nothing so bold as a miller's shirt, that every morning collars a thief.
Waldemar

Postby Elfling » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:37 am

"Are you so certain? Young boys are prone to such mischief, after all," Solena countered with a tiny remnant of a smile. It amused her, that she ended up dancing on the fence about the subject rather than just boldly informing the man that the boy could talk.

It was what it was, however, and the elf took the hint and slipped out the door to catch up with her apprentice, whether he was just outside the door listening or had actually made it out of the building. She rather hoped it was the former. They had lessons to catch up on; they were a couple of days behind thanks to watching over the injured boy.
Elfling

Previous

Return to The Rememdium Edificium