Tables for the Rememdium

Tables for the Rememdium

Postby Dulcie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:22 am

The entire Rememdium staff had likely watched the carpenter at work in the yard near the building. Without a shop of her own, Fred had taken up a location away from the general hustle and bustle things, but had managed to stay close enough that she was able to pop in now and then for measurements and specifications from the examination tables that were already in the building.

The first of the tables had been finished and Fred would come wheeling it into the building. Her health was better from the last time the doctor had seen her. She had been eating, and working on a project had given her skin a healthier, tanned appearance. She wheeled the table near the Doctor's office, rapping at the door a little firmer than perhaps she had meant to.

"Doctor Brennan? You in?" She called out, gaining a brief chastisement from one of the nurses. She bit her lip and shrugged a bit in apology before she went back to looking at the office door.
Dulcie

Re: Tables for the Rememdium

Postby Suede » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:51 am

Brennan's office door was closed, but that didn't mean he was behind it this time. At Fred's shouting and pounding on the door he actually stepped out of a treatment room directly behind her. His eyes glanced down the hallway to the nurse that had spoken up before he moved over to jump himself up onto the table the carpenter had brought in.

"Fred, it's nice to see you again. You're looking well." He gave her a pleasant smile, apparently obvious to the fact he was sitting on the order he'd gotten from her. "I heard you were making a racket out side with your building. How are things coming along?"
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 am

She blushed when she realized she'd disturbed him from his work.

"Sorry 'bout that. I hadn't realized I was being so loud." Both in reference to her knocking and her work on the tables in the yard. "Maybe in a few months I'll have a proper workshop. Some kid named Elliot said he could get me some work for his lady. Might be enough to pay a few debts."

She shrugged and watched him on the table, her eyes looking at the joints, assuring herself of it's stability.

"What do you think of the table?"
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:51 am

"What? Oh no, I didn't mean you were being too loud. If I'm lucky you'll get people out of here faster since they won't want lump around with the hammering." It wasn't his best cover-up, but Lucas didn't want the girl to think she was being a bother. She came off as rather timid to him. He frowned a little bit at the mention of Elliot. "I heard he was some reformed thief, but I guess if it's a lord or lady in town somewhere they can probably pay you well if you have the skill.

She mentioned the table and he followed her gaze to look at where he was sitting. He seemed surprised about it for a moment, then bounced on it a few times to test how stable it felt. "Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?"
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:06 am

The Doctor didn't seem to be a good liar, but Fred wasn't about to call him out on it. She watched the bouncing and the testing of the table and at the question about Treadwell she chuckled softly. Everyone knew about the fat Councilor.

"I think that was one of your specifications. It should be able to handle everything short of an elephant." She was teasing obviously, especially considering she'd never even seen an elephant in real life.

"I'm glad you like it. At least, I'm assuming you like it. There was something else I wanted to talk to you about though. Something of a more personal nature." She looked at his office door, as if indicating that she didn't want to talk about it in the hall.
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 am

He wiggled a little more on the table, deciding if it was comfortable enough before nodding his satisfaction. "Oh, certainly. I do like it! I'll get someone to shove it off into one of the rooms and we can start testing it out." Maybe, he'd prefer it if the day remained fairly quiet. When she mentioned having a personal topic he gave her a funny look for eying up his office. "I don't usually do check-ups in there, but we can move into one of the patient rooms if you want me to examine you."

Those sorts of things were generally what people wanted to discuss with him privately, and she wasn't the first to think the best place for it was his office, as if that was somehow more private than anywhere else in the Rememdium.
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 am

She blushed again. "Oh no, It's not that I want you to examine me. It's just that I have this friend who has this problem. I'm not even sure it's really medical, but you seem smart, you know, book read. And I thought maybe you might know something about it. I don't want to put it all out here in the hallway though. Someone might know her."

She scuffed the toe of her shoe on the ground anxiously, looking at him again to see what he thought of what she had to say.
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:27 am

A friend who had a problem, was it? Aha, he saw what was going on here. Severe embarrassment, even the toe scuffing. He gave her a stage wink to let her know he'd play along with keeping it quiet. He seemed sincere enough in being willing to listen, but he also didn't appear to believe what she was saying, assuming it was all a cover. He'd seen it enough and was oblivious enough to real statements that the truth may have dashed right over his head. "Well, alright then, we can talk in my office."

He hopped off the table and shoved it further down the hall so he could reach the door, propping it open for her. "Though if it's not medical..." Wink wink. "I make no promises on being able to help with it."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:36 am

She made her way inside the office, her eyes scanning over the room and it's contents before immediately taking up a seat on the visitors side of his desk. She waited anxiously for the door to shut before she'd begin to spill her story.

"So my friend sees things. She hasn't always seen things, but she does now. Most of the time it seems like it's kind of, I dunno, ghosts? That she sees. Like people that are dead and gone. And once she said that there was this dead guy that came back to life around her. You ever hear of anything like that?"
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:45 am

He closed the door behind himself and moved around his desk while subtly kicking a few fallen pages under the nearest piece of furniture. When he dropped down into his own chair the room almost looked reasonably clean as long as no one looked too closely. That was a big reason he kept the door closed so much, he didn't want Janessa to see that he'd left yet another mess.

She spoke about her friend, he didn't really have much belief that she meant a friend, but he played a long anyways. His hands clasped before him and he offered a smile. "Well they've had dead rising issues in town before, and I've personally seen a case or two of someone we believed dead waking back up again. So both those things aren't unheard of, but are you certain your friend is seeing ghosts? Maybe she only thinks so and has been reacting to her imagination? They tend to be quite careful around here about that sort of thing."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:30 am

She considered that a moment of two. "I'm not really sure if she's seeing them or not. How can you tell if something is real or not when it comes to that sort of thing?"

She'd get up and start wandering around her side of the office, looking at the messy papers and the items strewn around the place.

"But I'm pretty sure that people would know if the dead were coming back to life right? I heard people that can do that are called Necromancers. Do you think my friend might be one?" She came right out with the word then that had been bothering her so much, feeling as if the weight had been lifted off her chest in revealing it.
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:20 am

"I guess by asking someone you know can see that sort of thing." There was a small frown on his part. "I'm not exactly the sort for that, Miss Winifred. I'm good with things I can put my hands on." Organs and the like.

He watched her wander about his room and would quietly slide the half eaten plate of food he'd had for lunch beneath a folder for a recent patient while she wasn't looking. Sly like a fox, just play it cool, Lucas.

"Probably, they're a bit hard to miss, and I certainly haven't seen it happen." She said necromancer and he bit down on an entirely inappropriate laugh, using the effort of adjusting his clothing to avoid looking at her before smoothing his face back to a more friendly expression. He wasn't really laughing at her, or even the idea of it... just the way she brought it up. "That doesn't seem likely. Necromancers, so I've read, are wizards that have taken the time to study black magic and then found ways to raise the dead. It sounds as though if your friend is doing anything, it's accidental. I've never heard of an accidental necromancer.
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:40 am

"So you don't think it's possible? For someone to be an accidental necromancer. I mean, they have to study or accept it or something right? They couldn't just bring back things on their own?"

She continued poking around, thinking about what he said, about the things he read. "Do you think you could find me some of those books? Maybe I could read about it, help my friend." She paused, then clarified. "Not the dark magic ones I mean, just the normal ones that sort of say what a necromancer is."

She came back to something he had said earlier in her mind, frowning for a second. "What if I could bring you something that you could put your hands on. Something dead returned to life? Like a little bird or a squirrel or something?"
Dulcie

Postby Suede » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:33 pm

He spread his hands helplessly. "I Haven't really studied it much, but it doesn't seem likely. I think people have to choose to learn how to do it. I've heard of people with a natural talent for magic... They can just make it happen, but never of that sort." He really couldn't be sure. It wasn't exactly something people in Myrken regularly read about, and he spent his own time reading about things he had some hope of achieving.

"I couldn't find the dark magic sort anyways." Or if he could, he wouldn't admit to that sort of thing. His expression was of educated curiosity, since she was persisting in the idea and he was mildly curious about the idea. An intellectual exercise at least.

"I suppose that might work." He turned one of his hands over and pointed towards the human skull on one the corner of his desk marked with details and labels. "But it would have to be something that obviously shouldn't be alive, you understand. Or logically I couldn't assume it had ever been dead. If you do that, I could go wander the library a bit for a few pieces of light reading."
Suede

Postby Dulcie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:09 pm

She listened to what he had to say, her face taking on a somewhat disappointed look. If a doctor didn't know anything about this sort of stuff then who else would. And then there was the smallest glimmer of hope, some interest that the doctor had in trying to help her unpuzzle things.

She nodded her head at his comment. "I'm pretty sure I can get her to find something that would be like that."

She wasn't going to stay any longer, she wanted to get out of the office before she made things anymore strange and unusual.

"Thanks for the help. And... you won't mention this to anyone right? I mean, my friend is a really private person. She'd be upset if she knew I told."
Dulcie

Next

Return to The Rememdium Edificium