An Accounting of Limbs and Other Less Likely Things

An Accounting of Limbs and Other Less Likely Things

Postby Glenn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Usually, a patient came to the Remedium through the front door or carried. Occasionally, though, a letter would arrive instead.

Miss Tirel,

I was glad to meet you again today at the Dagger. I hope this missive finds you well and that you braved the rain without too much trouble. On to business: I've had a very difficult couple of years when it comes to my body and what it's suffered. I was wondering if I might make an appointment (a rarity, I know), to come in and talk about some of it with you, including what permanent damage may have been done. For this, I would be willing to pay you as well, though I know that is not the usual procedure.

With thanks,
Glenn Burnie
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: An Accounting of Limbs and Other Less Likely Things

Postby girl » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:20 am

The physician's reply is penned on a piece of official, stamped parchment bearing the Rememdium's seal. Her script is compact and easily legible, with very little in the way of feminine flourishes.

Sir Burnie,

It was indeed a pleasure to converse with you again this past week. I am well, and hope this correspondence finds you much the same.

As to your inquiry, it would be my pleasure to meet with you to discuss your concerns—free of charge, of course. Most of my patients do not have the foresight to schedule my time, but please feel free to apprise me of your schedule so we might arrange a meeting.

I look forward to your response!

Best,
Mercy Tirel
girl

Postby Glenn » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:38 am

There was another polite letter sent from the former Governor to the physician. This one mentioned a potential time, two days hence, that he would try to come. It gave her plenty of time to respond accordingly if the time was bad. No more mention was made of payment.

If she did not object to the time, he would arrive as promised. Some of the staff at the Remedium knew him well, too well, but there had been such turnover. There was always turnover for it was dangerous work, and really, their numbers were hardly legion to begin with. Still, for those who knew him, he would have kind, if distant, words, and he would introduce himself to anyone else. Eventually, he would find his way (with some procedural assistance) into a room and would wait. Preventative care was a rare thing for this place, much more used to emergency treatments or lingering or recurrent illnesses. Those who were rich enough to have the luxury for such a thing might seek treatment elsewhere.

Burnie was always an odd case, though, and he certainly had a familiarity with these walls and these beds, one that was only wistful attached to other, broader memories. Today he had arrived in his usual earth-tones, loose clothes that could be shed without much trouble if this meeting called for it. He didn't seem impatient. He rarely had anywhere to go or anything that needed doing these days. No, this was an appointment made at his request, and he was happy to wait for as long as was necessary. His guard (and he had a guard on this day), had not even made it to the door. Assuming that the man was safer in a place of medicine than anywhere else, he had stayed outside, eyes lingering now and again on the nearby Dagger. For some things, privacy would be allowed.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby girl » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Glenn Burnie did not have to wait long for the physician, for she was rarely late. Possessed of a singularly exacting personality, punctuality and studiousness were her characteristic bread and butter. However, beyond the commonplace nature of her fastidiousness, this particular instance of promptness was urged on by a strong sense of curiosity.

Only a small amount of digging had revealed that her patient was none other than the elusive former governor, who was currently some manner of attache to the Lady Warden. As a matter of interest, given his connections and probable depths of his coffers, he most certainly had the means and ability to recall a physician to his personal residence, and it was most interesting to Mercy Tirel that the man should want to visit a public house of healing. Of further interest was the fact that, unlike every other patient under her care, the man had endeavored to request her time, rather than show up expecting it.

A minute or two is provided, as propriety dictates, for the former governor to settle in to the examination room he was led to. Suddenly, there is a knocking at the door: a staccato triplet that announces the physician's impending presence. She waits for verbal assent to enter, and then breezes into the room, white robes rustling as an accompaniment to her brisk pace.

“Good afternoon, Ser Glenn Burnie,” she greets, pleasantly, orbiting closer to the man. “I am pleased that you saw fit to make an appointment with me, today. I am curious, though--you appear to be in fine health, at least from what I have gathered. Did some specific concern spur you to seek my counsel?”
girl

Postby Glenn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:34 am

He had a particular smile for her as she entered. He'd yet to take his shirt off or anything like that; it seemed overly formal in a land where one did not see a physician without a damn good reason. He'd seen hints of other places and heard even more from Savoy years and years ago now. So damn long. An innocence regained and lost again. And then so much more.

No, today he had arrived with all the politeness and respect of someone who admired her and her profession, or, of course, of someone who wanted something. In Myrken Wood, it was far more often the latter than the former.

"Looks can be deceiving, Miss Tirel, but Egris keeps me up to appearance's sake at least," which frankly wasn't how that phrase ought to be used, but that didn't seem to be stopping him. "so I'll take that as a compliment and be glad for it." There was that polite, distanced smile again. One could write a book with all that he didn't know about her, and that chafed; two years ago, he'd never be in a situation like this so undereducated.

"Last year at this time, I was recovering from a month's starvation and if my poor sparring record against Egris is any sign of it, I fear I'll never fully recover. It came in the midst of a second trauma, a more emotional one, a mental one, and I hope to recount these to you and then for you to decide whether or not I am truly recovered; I'll be brief," a necessary addition if she had ever heard anything about him.

After some hesitation, presumably one where she could sneak an answer in, he'd add, looking away. "All of this led to another change in me, one that would be more suited for a priest maybe, but if there are any physical signs of it, you'd be able to spot them better than I." If this WAS some sort of subterfuge, then it was certainly hidden behind a wall of past medical issues. There was a reason why he knew most of the older staff by both name and temperament.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Return to The Rememdium Edificium