The Wiki Returns!

The Wiki Returns!

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:09 pm

After a period of beating the ever-loving crap out of SQL databases with a variety of blunt instruments (foremost being my brain), I can happily announce that the Broken Dagger Wiki has risen from the ashes and once more awaits your eager contributions:

Click it.

Remember to create an account if you haven't already, and drop me a note if you spot anything that looks obviously broken or wrong.
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Wendy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 pm

thank you, super hero.
Wendy

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:41 pm

Thanks for all the hard work, Steve. I will make it so Glenn is no longer a pleasant babyfaced mapmaker sometime soon.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Treadwell » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:59 pm

Oh wow! :) The Wiki is up, and Wendy has a post! Yay! :)
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby catch » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:43 am

Thank you for all your hard work in getting the Wiki running, sir. I'm going to have fun reading through all the past stuff.
catch

Wiki vs. Spambots

Postby BDAdmin » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:35 am

I've noticed a couple of spambots trying to work their evil on the Wiki. This Will Not Do, so I've tweaked the permissions a bit to (hopefully) hold them at bay.

This does mean that if you want to edit stuff on the Wiki you'll need to confirm your email address, like so:

1. Log into the Wiki.
  2. Follow the My Preferences link at top-right.
  3. Scroll down to the bottom, make sure your email address is entered correctly, and click on Confirm your email address.
  4. Wait for the email to arrive (remember to check your spam filter), and copy-paste the confirmation link onto the end of the main wiki URL (it goes after "index.php").
  5. Enjoy recognition as an actual human being.

This should work. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll look for some other way of fending off the spambot hordes.
BDAdmin

Re: The Wiki Returns!

Postby Treadwell » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:46 pm

My preferences say I'm an Autoconfirmed User. Do I need to do this?

Apparently I do. It won't let me edit Tready's page because my email's not confirmed, but I'm not seeing a button that will let me confirm my email in my preferences?
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Cinnabar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:23 am

Treadwell wrote:My preferences say I'm an Autoconfirmed User. Do I need to do this?

Apparently I do. It won't let me edit Tready's page because my email's not confirmed, but I'm not seeing a button that will let me confirm my email in my preferences?

It should be a link just below where you can change your email address, right near the bottom of the preferences page. If that's not working I'll put things back how they were and find another way to foil the spambot hordes.
Cinnabar

Postby Treadwell » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:47 am

I can type my email in, but there's no "Confirm Email Address" thing to click.
Treadwell

Postby catch » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:38 am

I'm having the same trouble as Paul, actually. I thought typing my email address int he field was going to send a confirmation email, but it doesn't look like it does.

I can't get a screengrab, but here's what I get:

E-mail options
E-mail: (entered email here) E-mail address appears valid
E-mail address is optional, but is needed for password resets, should you forget your password.You can also choose to let others contact you by e-mail through a link on your user or talk page. Your e-mail address is not revealed when other users contact you.
E-mail confirmation: Specify an e-mail address in your preferences for these features to work.
Enable e-mail from other users
Send me copies of e-mails I send to other users

Bolded/italicized indicates where I think the problem is. Even if you enter and email and save, the page acts as if you hadn't. (edit) to make it a little more clear, that text appears instead of any option to be actually email confirmed, whether or not I have my email in the box, or had typed it in the box and pressed "save".
catch

Postby Cinnabar » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:37 am

Hm, vexing.

I've set it so that you should be able to edit pages again - the method I'd tried disabled editing for Users (that is, everyone registered), but then turned it on again for Authenticated Users (that is, people who'd confirmed their email address). I suspect the problem is that people who'd registered and authenticated their email addresses before I made that change weren't being properly moved to the Authenticated Users group.

I'll keep an eye on things, and if the spambots come back I'll try something else.
Cinnabar

Postby Rattrap » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:47 am

A-mazing. Big props for reviving this.

...and I dunno if it's of any help, but I managed to log in my old account and make edits no problem.
Rattrap

Return to Announcements