A Great Deal of Unpleasantnses

A Great Deal of Unpleasantnses

Postby Lent » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 am

The mood at Constabulary Headquarters was a mix of sorrow and anger. It had been fevered the day before and now was settling back into the range of 'determined.' One of their own, one that was, in his own way, rather well liked, a good kid, was murdered in cold blood by a man that they already had good reason to despise. Aeryn Karolinger. An arrogant ass who had already made enemies for life at Haberdasher's Row.

In truth, the only real reason why Detective Constable Lentham was back in the office at all (for he it was suggested that he take some time to himself), was that he only had two days worth of civilian clothes. There really wasn't any need for more. He was never completely off duty (just like how he was rarely fully on duty). He had been met warmly upon entering the building. Not a social creature, this had been rather hard to deal with and he had mostly nodded and walked forward towards his destination.

So here he was, outside of Cinnabar's office, looking much as he always did: stubble, loose uniform, lazy gaze. There had been no point in trying to drink himself into a stupor. After the last few years of his life, no amount of alcohol did much to him. No he had just been wandering around MyrkenTown for the last few days without much aim. Now the uniform was on again. He had aim. At the least, he seemed sane. That was a personal achievement in Lentham's mind.

"The High Constable will see you now." The Constable at the door nodded politely to Lentham, and gave a brief salute. For his trouble, there was a grunt and the Detective Constable walked through the door.

Cool eyes stared down the Constable-Governor. "I suppose it's time we spoke more about the boy and about what we do from here, Calomel."
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:01 am

The High Constable, having set aside papers and reports when Lentham walked in, nods and waves to a chair.

"Indeed. Take a seat, Kurt." Sombre, quietly-spoken, and maintaining the air of steady professionalism that he practices while on duty. "I presume you've been appraised of the situation as we know it. We have a couple of eyewitness accounts naming Aeryn Karolinger as the murderer, so that's fairly conclusive. As for what we do from here, that's about as straightforward as you can get. We track him down and bring him in." Pale grey eyes watch the Detective Constable for a time.

"I'd like to make an extra effort do this properly. By the book, as it were. Karolinger still commands a degree of respect among those who served under him, and I don't want to give anyone grounds to question or challenge the way in which he is brought to justice." His gaze is level, regarding Lentham closely as if to gauge his reaction.

"Do you think you can manage that?"
Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:14 am

"Hnn.." Lentham sat down with a long exhale. Cool, cool eyes, ones that seemed almost dead at first glance stared down Cinnabar Calomel. And for a while, he merely breathed, over and over. It was like he hadn't heard the man at all. In truth, it was only maybe fifteen seconds of this, but it must have seen to drag on for far, far longer.

Finally, he started nodding his head slowly. "Here's how we do this, son. Two weeks. Charles would have wanted me to do this right, especially if that what you wanted." He was leaned back in the chair now, chin folded into his chest and looking up at the High Constable. "I do things by the book for two weeks. Karolinger's good at what he does, but he's about as subtle as a drunken brick. Unless this has given him a colossal kick in the ass, he won't be hard to find. If two weeks go by and we can't find him through conventional, proper, LEGAL methods, then I suggest you take me off the case before I start doing things that'll disgrace McCoy and his uniform alike. Hoping you find that a fair compromise, because it's the best one I have." Lentham was already starting to rise to his feet upon finishing that sentence..
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 am

A pale brow lifts slightly at the Constable's addressing him as "son", but no comment is made for the moment. Instead he listens, then finally nods.

"Very well. You have two weeks to bring in Karolinger before the case gets passed onto someone else. However, I expect you to act in a manner that does credit to your uniform not just for those two weeks, but for as long as you wear it." His tone is firm at that, and for all that he looks young there's a certain steel to his gaze, to his voice, that belies his youthful appearance.

"I want Karolinger brought in every bit as much as you do, Kurt, but I'll not tolerate an officer who brings the Constabulary into disrepute. We abide by the laws we uphold, otherwise we're no better than Janeiro or Straka or any of the corrupt bands of thugs who came before them. Is that clear, Constable Lentham?"
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:06 am

"Oh, I get it. Assure you this too. So long as I'm wearing this uniform, I will do it justice, see?" Would be a damn shame if he didn't at least get a bead on Karolinger within two weeks. He'd have to get new clothes then, wouldn't he?

By now Lentham was on his feet. "Calomel, what you just said there, the fact that you actually believe it..." He tapped at his chin a couple of times, scratched at his face, and it was another one of those uncomfortable pauses. "... there's a reason why the kid always bet on you. You screw this up, all of this... Myrken, Governor, and he's going to be haunting you, not Karolinger." The cool eyes whipped away from the High Constable and he was heading towards the door. "Two weeks. I'll be more in touch than usual. Might need to spread the resources about. I take it you want to handle the Kaczmarek girl yourself?" There was a slight hesitation towards the door as he said that last bit, but he did not turn back.
Lent

Postby Cinnabar » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:29 am

A small smile at that little revelation, that vote of confidence from a man now dead. "I'll do my best." Ha. Betting. Well, that explains a couple of things.

"Two weeks. If you need anything - manpower, warrants, whatever - let me know." Touching fingertips to his brow in informal salute. At the mention of Agnieszka there's a pause of his own, then a nod.

"I think I can manage it, yes. I believe she has had her eyes opened to Karolinger's true character, so I suspect she can be persuaded to stay out of the way of your investigation, which will obviously make things simpler for you. She might even be convinced to cooperate more actively, if matters can be played right. You focus on Karolinger, and keep me advised of what's going on.

"Good afternoon, Constable."
Cinnabar

Postby Lent » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 am

He turned back, halfway now. "Much oblidged, that. Hnn. Some posters around town and a warrant for his arrest to go with them. That would be a good start. Makes everything a bit more credible depending on who I have to ask about what."

And then he'd give that same informal salute back, almost seeming amused by it, almost. "I'll focus on Karolinger, don't you worry. We'll be in touch." And at that, Lentham was out the door.
Lent

Return to Barracks / Gaol