War.

Meanwhile, Across Town...

Postby Glenn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:28 am

It was no longer the middle of the night. Day had come and with it some answers and even more questions. It wouldn't do. More than that, the Governor simply wouldn't have it. He had just created this government and he wouldn't see it undone so quickly, not like this, not due to some accursed book and a clumsy misstep by someone who should have known better. If the government was going to fall into ruin, he'd be DIRECTLY responsible for it, thank you very much. He's put too much work into this for anything less.

With all that was going on, Kerrak's loyalty was necessary. He was a lynchpin in all of this. Glenn, Renea, and Aleksei couldn't do it all alone. Or they could, but not without a massive cost, and anyone that they drew in would have to help pay it. Kerrak was already there and through blood and history he was involved. If he had been playing them false, they HAD to know now, and they had to act. If he was true and faithful, they needed to pull him tight to Myrken's breast.

Rhaena would show them the truth. So here was Glenn, returning home. He had given her hours to rest, hours to prepare for the day and currently, that was about exactly how long she needed to get dressed, even with assistance. "Rhaena." His head would poke in through the doorway. He knew where she was, of course, through their link, and he had even prepped her for this mentally while he was moving. "Are you just about ready?"
Glenn
Co-Founder

Re: War.

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:36 am

He just smiles at her and shrugs. "The wings aren't so bad. At least they go away. Could you imagine trying to sleep in a bed with a fifteen foot wing span, Agnie? It would be nightmarish." Is he really going to shrug it off that way? Probably. There wasn't much to tell right now, and he promised her a story later.

The dome he put over the book was still there. A solid silver dome around the book, etched with white runes that seemed to pulse with a faint light. It did a damn good job holding the book there. He walks the room slowly as if tasting the air, feeling the corruption. He's a knight, a scholar, and a psychopathic murderer. He sighs as some of the memories then he kneels next to the door and starts writing. More runes on the ground and he's making a slow circuit around the room.

"Agnie.. I meant what I said. I consider you a friend. I will always have your back, no questions asked."
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 am

"Maybe you could sleep in a tree, like owls," she says, attempting to make light of the situation -- but then, there's the dome, and what happened in the room, and she quiets.

"... maybe we can burn it," suggests Agnie.
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:20 am

He just turns her head to look at her and smiles at her, then he just laughs and finishes the outside ward on the room, scrawling all the way around. Then he draws a third one around the table the book is sitting on. One can't be too careful can they? Between the warded door, the circle around the room, the circle around the table, and the dome on the table, the book should be very, very well warded. "We can't burn it. It won't work, plus we might need it."

"Okay. One more question, Agnie. I only know Rhaena in passing. Tell me.. the questioning process that Glenn is using, will it work?"
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am

Rhaena, in her head.
Teasing out her secrets.

The woman is her best friend -- but she still hasn't been able to get over that awful day in front of her old shack downtown, when a drow-affected Rhaena pushed her way into the darkest places in her mind and laughed at it.

"Oh yes," she says, "it'll work. Been through it myself."

She doesn't elaborate; she just lets her eyes glide over the rest of the room, the chalk wards, this unfamiliar magical language. "I should have just waited, but I couldn't stand that we would be giving the devils more time to kill the innocent," she said. "But I should have just waited."
channe

Across Town

Postby Jirai » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am

Rhaena Olwak did not enjoy being in a hurry. She kept herself very busy, of course, but always carefully scheduled so that there was no need to rush. Still, sometimes such things could not be avoided, and she supposed that demons being released upon the town might count as one of those times, but she didn't have to like it. So Rhaena had been rushed this morning - getting ready did take her quite a while, of course, but even there she had made sacrifices. Instead of the intricate plaiting and twisting she was accustomed to, bronze hair hung down her back in a simple braid (though she had twined bells through the length of it). That had saved her enough time that she was, in fact, very nearly ready when Glenn arrived.

"And please reschedule the meeting with the tailor," she was instructing her maid as the Governor made his appearance. "I don't suppose I'll be able to drag Agnieszka along to that, but it doesn't matter much anyway." The hat with its attached veil (a compromise, that, as it was thin and did nothing to hide her face) was set delicately in place, lacey gloves tugged over hands both flesh and other before Rhaena turned towards the door and Glenn Burnie. "I am now," she said with a bright smile as she joined him. "Shall we?"
Jirai
Op

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:11 am

He finishes the last ward rune, standing and brushing the dirt off his knees and his cloak, before tucking the remaining chalk back in his bag. Oh look! His bag from last night. He digs in it and produces a fresh stick, tucking that into one of the pockets of his cloak and smirks at Agnie. "Based solely on the look on your face, I am glad Glenn never wanted me to do this, then."

He picks up the bag and carefully places it outside the door and waits on her to exit, assuming she will after he says "Let's go meet with her, Glenn, and this Kerrack fellow then. Might as well get this over with. I think I am the only one of us that got any sleep, and that was because I passed out after going all Angel on you." He just smirks at her and bows holding the door for her,

"My Lady. After you."
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14 am

"I'm not a feckin' lady," she says, glowering, passing by and walking through the door, waiting for Aleksei before she locks it behind them, pocketing the key again. "But, yeah, I am exhausted. Used to it, though. Myrken Wood doesn't let you sleep very much. Unless you have money. Then you can buy people to stand outside your door and stop people from bothering you. I heard Giscard Guillaume has people like that. And Treadwell."

Down the tight hallway, then, past the guard and back into the blaring morning sunlight. She hangs a left and indicates for Aleksei to follow. "He won't have heard of any of this. We'll treat it like a social call until Glenn and Rhaena get there."
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 am

He laughs at her observation. "I know, Agnie. I was trying to be funny. If you keep calling me a knight, though, I will keep calling you lady." He just smirks at her and follows after her, glancing at the key she puts in her pocket, "Any.. chance we could get a copy of that made for me? I might need to come here at night." He smiles at her and just nods his agreement with her about the meeting with Kerrak, "You know him, I will follow your lead. What will you tell him about me?"

But his mind was really else where. Something.. she had said a little earlier. Even if he pretended, he heard everything. It just takes him a little while to process things into a form of communication, sometimes.

"Look. Agnie. This isn't your fault. This was something that happened because of a bunch of stupid circumstances. You are not to blame. Neither of us can take the blame for this, really. Renea was stupid, we were stupid for not locking the door. Frankly, between you and I, Glenn couldn't have stop this if he had been there. But.. his ego will never let him admit that. It's easier to let him think he could have talked a rampaging drunk down." He just smiles at her again and walks along with her, taking note of where they were going.

Hopefully... she didn't want to ride a horse.
BetaFlame

Postby channe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:55 am

"Renea," she said, "disregarded both my warning and yours, tried to steal the book, and ran off to Thessilane without telling anyone where she was going. She ran. To Thessilane. In the middle of the night." She speeds up a little. They're passing through a merchanting district now, where the shopkeepers are beginning to open their stalls and stores. "She ran back to her masters because she knows she failed. If she were one of ours she would have gone to Glenn or the barracks. She knows Glenn fixes shit around here. Instead, she left you on the floor, got on a horse, and left the province. I think it's pretty obvious that she's feckin' guilty."

Her hand delves into her pocket. "You'll have to ask Glenn about the key. I'm not even really supposed to have it myself."
channe

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:39 pm

He didn't disagree with her observations, but he wasn't one to jump to conclusions. They would see what happened. If Renea came back leading an army, he'd help Agnie kill her, slowly. But that hadn't happened yet and he would merely wait to see what happened.

As they reached their destination he merely turned to look at Agnie, waiting for her.

And he would ask Glenn about the key. As soon as he a moment, he scrawled a letter, something to hand to Glenn when he got there, or when they were leaving.
BetaFlame

Postby Glenn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Rhaena Olwak did not walk when Rhaena Olwak did not NEED to walk. There were certain privileges to being governor and there were certain privileges to being the bethrothed of the governor. More than that, Rhaena had acted as a figure of the public good for close to two years now and was very highly regarded, despite what her brother might think. There were many in town who were even taken by her new style and manner. She had the public favor enough that frequent carriage rides were hardly thought to be outrageous and lavish.

It meant that even despite their later departure they would still arrive just about at the same time as everyone else. Glenn had promised not to send more people to meet Kerrak, but really, the situation had changed. Agnieszka had wanted to send guards to arrest him, and she had a point. It was warranted. Glenn had stopped that so hopefully the former Councilor would appreciate the compromise. More than that, hopefully he would cooperate.

And most of all, hopefully he was not demon possessed, or else it might take more than Aleksei's unveiling to save all of them today. He would help Rhaena out of the carriage and, once the others arrived, would call up for Kerrak with word that something very serious had occurred.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby channe » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:15 pm

And she'll lean up to rap on the door just as the carriage arrives -- and with another strange look at Rhaena, as if she doesn't honestly recognize the woman in the carriage -- she, for now, allows Glenn to take the lead with the investigation.
channe

Postby Vanidor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:55 pm

There is no response to the first knock of the door. In fact, as Agnieszka knocks upon the door the thing swings open upon well oiled hinges to reveal a very dead Darius. His throat is a ruin and blood is spattered in a circle around his dead body. As is the next room, in which an equally broken and torn Marion lay in the middle of the hall. It looked like she had been carrying a late evening snack when she had been struck. A tea pot has spilt its contents upon the floor, staining the carpet and mingling with strewn about cucumber sandwiches and blood.

Bloody footsteps continued up the steps and across to Kerrak's personal chambers. The door is hammered open, broken upon its hinges and one panel dangling. The inner room is a mess, tables and chairs strewn about. There is blood staining the floor and the walls. A body lays in the shadows that lead to the outer balcony that Kerrak loved to use for meetings. Clad in black clothing, with crimson leather binding the arm visible in the light. Not too far from the lifeless hand lays a black iron mace. The body is also missing a head, which is not any place near the body. Beyond, on the upper deck pation, lay the form of the former Councilor of Defense.

Soria lay in a pool of blood, still held loosely in his hand. The man is unconscious, and in the same pool of blood as the sword itself.
Vanidor

Postby BetaFlame » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:15 pm

Aleksei instantly stiffens, looking at the violence in the place. The curved, single bladed sword snakes out of the scabbard, the blade looking almost to be made of a dusky green glass. "Glenn. I would get Rhaena out of here. I can feel.. It.. that dirty feeling I warned you about."

He's fearless going inside, blade in hand. He stops to check each of the dead, taking note of their damage. Once he reaches the headless man, he just shakes for a moment, his gaze flickers to Kerrak. Agnie can deal with that. He.. can feel it coming off the body. So he starts scribing a warding circle around the body. There is no telling what it can do dead, and its better to at least make the attempt. Even if his ward doesn't stop it, he can at least make the attempt to slow it down.. in case its still in there.

"Agnie, that one over there.. I think he still alive."
BetaFlame

PreviousNext

Return to Barracks / Gaol