Orientation

Re: Orientation

Postby Glenn » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:16 am

Apologies for the delay,

Pressing business took me to the Derry border for the weekend.

What we know about the rings:
- They appeared a little over two weeks ago around town.
- They were almost always near a PAINTED feather, in red, small, barely noticeable, upon the side of a building. We're not entirely sure of this, but it seems to be true from anecdotal evidence.
- When rubbed out/painted over, the feather would return the next day, with no obvious sign of who painted them.
- They were made of amber or jade. The material was in the form of a braid.
- One of my staff had put it within a book. Over the night, it had left black burn marks within the book but remained intact.
- Around the night Dhrin died (from what you have told me), they emitted an unpleasant noise and then left a burn mark on wherever they were, including people's fingers.
- After that they faded to dust.

That's all I know. It happened quickly enough, that we didn't follow up further. Aleksei was to look into them, but he barely had time to do so.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:12 am

Glenn Burnie

Things that perhaps are:
- Jade is Dhrin's colour. Amber is Michael Wren''s.
- The feather were likewise Wren's.
- I have seen a man wear several pieces of another's hair braided into a bracelet for his wrist, its purpose being entrance into that other one's dreams.
- I wonder at those who wore these rings upon their fingers.
- Agnieszka wonders if perhaps these cultists have followed me here.
- Bromn suggests that they have followed him here and asks if I might not then simply slay him. I have asked him if he would like me to and now he has given me a sword.
- Aleksei informs that there are files with my name upon them, in case he was very courteous regarding these things I have given him leave to read those that concern such matters as these.

-Ariane

I have offended your seamstress. Still she is diligent yet and, I think, more interesting than she wishes to be.

Are we to expect refugees?

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:23 am

Ariane,

Ask around a bit. See if you can find anyone who was wearing one of those rings when the screaming happened. I have some anonymous anecdotal reports, but I'm sure someone would admit wearing one to you. After that, it's best to have Aleksei or Niall look them over for want of a better option. If you're reluctant to send them to a magical source, there's always Dr. Brennan and Janessa at the Remedium.

Dhrin was slippery. Anyone who could avoid death at your hands for so long had to be. In this case the timing makes me wonder: Did Dhrin wish to die?

The Seamstress, I've met but once, exchanged one letter, received another just today. I will say this: She has a level of deference to authority that I have rarely seen here in Myrken Wood. It is cultural. It is due to transgressions from her homeland that she sees as common place. I admit that it is rather welcome as well. To have such respect without having to actually stage the transgressions myself. This is a weakness of course, and I will do well in the future not to let it blind me.

Ultimately? Ultimately, she is likely some horrible monster or blisteringly insane. She is polite, deferential, and respectful. Only a fool would trust such things in Myrken.

The Inquisitory:

Think of it this way: Cinnabar Calomel is to the Constabulary as Glenn Burnie is to the Inquisitory.

We have always had clerks, small staffs, that sort of thing. Secretaries. We had Detective Constables. We had scribes, Librarians at Mudd. When I arrived five and a half years ago, do you know what the sum of all those provided me? Nothing. Not answers, not even questions. I swear to you that all of these things combined, when it came to Kerrak or the Ashfiend or the drow, provided me with less than nothing. Absurd things. Rumors of a hidden magic shield. Reason enough to get invited to Faeryl's tea party. Some vague recollection that yes, just perhaps, fire COULD be harmful if misused.

Straka gave way to Janiero. Janiero left. Records left with them.

I could learn more from a drunken Dominik Kaczmarek.

And I did learn more, far, far more, from you.

Cinnabar began to change this as Governor. He had enough oversight over things to keep better Constabulary records. More than that, he had me. It still wasn't enough. I..

I've written these words and I find that they are unnecessary. My apologies. When I write of such matters, it is hard to hold back. Sufficed to say. There was a need. I called upon literate and promising youths from Myrken Wood, many of whom i had encountered at barn dances of years past and young notables of other provinces who had training but not opportunity, many of which I had met through my book trading. I offered them a salary but more than that, I offered them a chance, a purpose.

They comb through old texts, compile information, ask questions, discuss ideas and solutions to Myrken's problems. There are not many of them, but they are dedicated, possess many skills, and I find them essential. The Junior Inquisitors work as clerks, mainly, with the ability to stretch and participate more in specific projects. Only Genevieve Tolleson, whose nature is personable and enthusiasm infectious participates in fieldwork amongst the Junior Inquisitors.

Primarily, it is the Constables who investigate things firsthand and gather clues, but often times the Inquisitory does not deal with crimes, but instead act in more proactive ways. In those situations, I send out Senior Inquisitors. Aleksei, it should be noted, has such a title but acts independently, given that he is more enthusiastic than personable, and does not thrive within a conventional organizational structure.

Regardless, for information, you can call upon them as you would call upon me. They know of you (but not of anything that would be indiscreet, unless it is something they have reasoned upon their own).

Glenn

Refugees shall be here within days.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:17 am

Glenn Burnie

Perhaps Dhrin wanted to die. But do not forget that this is not the first he's offered us his throat. Perhaps he imagined that Lamai would prove his salvation (the salvation only of his flesh). Perhaps he imagined that this time it would be I who stayed her hand. More likely, I think, he knew very well that nothing would come of it: that he must only endure a moment's terrible pain and then emerge reborn at a time of his choosing (or at Baie's choosing perhaps or even at Galacia's?), a moment in which he might work more harm by being thought dead than he might have managed by fleeing us that night, in fact this remains his only purpose: that of a prop and an appearance, his life like a candle's flame that is lit and snuffed out and which has no actual use, no leverage, no agency remaining except only to be, for that he has created in our thoughts a spectre far mightier than he might have hoped to become now that his god that can be touched has abandoned him

Perhaps he wished to die. I think that I have told you of this: that Michael Wren over and again asked when would come the day that I put his knife through his throat. That on occasion he invited this, that he sometime requested this, and not in the way that Bromn has. But he and Dhrin different men in every way save one, even to the texture of their wishes. I think it is only this: that whatever he might or might not have wanted for, Dhrin could not have imagined that I would be given a thing which could obliterate his body, nor that, having been given so fell a thing, I would actually put it to use.

Glour’eya has told me a very little of these transgressions or of one of them at least. My question discomforted her, she was right to withdraw from it and I do not intend to repeat it a second time. Instead there is this: that under any circumstances at all I find the substance of that transgression so sternly contrary to your very nature that I think you have written another joke.

There is a person that I should speak with regarding developments within Derry. What is his name? Else it will be Kerrak.

-Ariane

Do not apologise.
Do not hold back.
And most especially not simply because it is long to read and longer to write.

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:52 am

Ariane,

Your poi

When I say that Dhrin wished to die, I mean that perhaps it was some part of a plan that involved him dying at the moment when people were wearing those rings. It might be part of a plot. That he was destroyed utterly came as a surprise, but otherwise, his machinations might have gone to plan. We'll have to look into this further.

Refugees. I know what I know. Bits and pieces. Rather large pieces. Some suspicions. In the immediate, we need to prepare for their arrival and to make sure that Kostroma does not use this as an opportunity to overstretch. It is Agnieszka's nature to lean towards him for obvious reasons. There are other necessities and I will write to you, Kerrak, and Agnie about them over the next few days.

The Foundation: In brief, I returned from Underdark with significant pilfered funds. Meanwhile, Rhaena had obtained such funds through her own savvy. This is before, after Sarayn had taken her hand. After the drow's curse had ravaged her spirit. She was a shell. She hid behind veils instead of thriving behind them. Moreover, i was frustrated by our inability to respond to immediate threats, to rebuild from threats passed. I pooled my excess funds with hers to begin a semi-governmental Foundation with Rhaena in charge and has invested the money wisely. I wished to give her purpose. To give Myrken another means to shelter itself. She has a small staff but mainly it is a way to throw what money we can where it needs to go the most.

From fire, from famine, from rampaging monsters. It rebuilt Foggy bottom. When the dragon attacked, stores of water set up in advance were used to put out the flame in town. It is already moving in to try to help with the scourge set upon our livestock. It funds the school in part. Obviously, its range is relatively limited, even with increased tax revenues over the last few years. Too many disasters piled on one another and it would be overtaxed. Even the combination of the livestock blight and the refugees will be a major strain, especially if winter is harsh, but it is more than we had.

Nova: Also brief. Pale skin. Horns. A tail. Can turn into a ball of light. Apparently was contained within a magical amulet of some sort. Associates with the same squire boy Niall does (He attracts strange magical women apparently). We have no idea what she can actually do power-wise. She seems relatively simple-minded but with an undertone of drowsy understanding. Almost Treadwellian in that regard. Except for it's much harder to wake Aloisius up.

She is generally good-natured. Likes shiny baubles. Willing to help, though I am not entirely sure if she is able. A being like Dhrin or Vraal could make dangerous use of her. That is my primary concern.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Glenn » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:01 am

Kacela:

There are three sorts of monsters that i hate: Those who prey upon us, those who think us bugs to be swatted or stepped on at will, and those who deign us worthy of their protection. Kacela is the last of the three. That also makes her the least of the three, as it pertains to being a danger to our people.

Yes, she can turn into a wolf. Yes, she is vulnerable to silver. Yes, she occasionally loses herself to her bestial impulses.

Generally, though she has control. What she does not have is understanding. This is not like Niall. Niall has no point of reference to everyday activities we take for granted. Kacela, however, was once human. Tribal, but human. Kacela, however, does not have the wherewithal to understand something she disagrees with. A picture may be big and broad and she will see only the shadow of it. This lack of understanding, combined with bestial power and bestial instincts is when she becomes a danger to us. Through good intentions. She assaulted the teahouse thinking it an act of liberation.

When we need a tracker, she is the first to be turned to, but the price is always suffering her self-righteousness; she is the wolf protecting the lambs. It's a price I rarely can stomach paying.

Tempering her, perhaps, is a relationship with Kals Olwak. There is every reason to believe that she has embraced him, has made him a werewolf as well. Thankfully, his grumpy civility seems to have won through, for given his powers of the mind, to lose inhibitions and to lose control, would be disastrous for us all. As you can imagine neither is particularly fond of me. Kacela is an unknowing anarchist, putting more stock in the laws of nature than the laws of men. Kals is more of a dissident. I will not call him jealous for Rhaena but instead overprotective. Still, there is little fidelity in his heart. I do respect his control, however, and I hope that he is a strong influence in reining in the wolf and that it is not the other way around.

Glenn

Of monsters, I hate kylerryth most of all.

Of topics, please give me others you feel you need learn of. Otherwise, I will continue as I feel proper.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Glenn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 am

Kostroma

Occasionally I miss Hawkesbury.

But for Kostroma, i have more regard. Less patience, more regard.

I once had to read a note from him to Agnieszka's family. The note gave me no joy. The fact that I used to read letters to Agnieszka's family makes me wistful. Very little does these days.

Duke Constantine Kostroma, the Commander of His Majesty's Mageranks

This is how he signed the letter. Can you imagine? It was a dire thing, that letter. I didn't read that last bit to Magda. How could I? That is a skill that served me well as Governor. Knowing when NOT to tell someone something.

It is also the complete opposite of why I send you these missives.

As for Kostroma, I have questions, but in my old age, I have come to prioritize these things. Some, where I know the answer will likely annoy me, I put very far down the list, unless the need is otherwise great.

Here are things to know: he is the current agent of Chedwry. He hates Thessilane and Burel for what they have done. He has little use for and a great deal of experience with politicians. I swear that he has come here to get away from the sniping and infighting of Razasan. He is a man of values and standards. More likely, it wasn't his decision then, to come here, but it was forced upon him. Agnieszka might think more highly of him than she does of me. He is therefore obviously then a blackguard and a scoundrel. Or a good man.

There is nothing more dangerous to Myrken Wood than a good man with good intentions. For every Cinnabar Calomel there are three others - ah but then you know this.

Kostroma is worse than that. He is a good man with good intentions, but these intentions are good for the crown, not for us.

Burel believes in what he does. Kostroma believes in what he does.

Hammer.

Anvil.

Myrken

Never let it be said that I did not help to make your life interesting, Ariane.
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Glenn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:37 am

The Council

I had to put the Council together quickly. Remarkably, it's lasted almost a year.

Agriculture/Forests: Vanidor Goldenhair. I quite like Vanidor, for an elf. It's rather because he quite likes me. He's also given me full use of his grove and drow companion over the years. And food. Drink. He's an interesting sort. He rewards anyone who will meet him halfway, because so few manage to do so anymore. Cinnabar alienated the Council, including Vanidor. He relegated him to busywork of the worst kind. That was a mistake and I merged the positions of forestry and agriculture once more. He has a real interest in creating better crops. It's a laconic sort of hobby for him, and he's been essential in our good harvests of the last few years as well as in turning back the blight. His stories are a bit long-winded reminiscing about a time of heroes and whatever else, but it's my job to have to listen to him. Not yours.

Taxation: Aloisius Treadwell. Must I? Aloisius is a constant. A large rock in an ever-moving stream. The world's only honest taxman. In your absence, he has been attacked by Catch, kidnapped by shape-shifting bandits, and has attracted a number of fat friends. He may also be a hideous slug monster, but that's mostly hearsay. I try to ignore it. It gives me a headache otherwise.

Those were my two constants, my base, my support.

Commerce, Interim: Nikolas D'anclaude. This was an issue. Giscard being away was endlessly helpful on the one hand, but on the other, I think he'd approve of much that I do, just not that it is I doing it. That sense of continuity would have been helpful. Still, Nikolas is suitable, more so than I first expected. He was a recluse with particular physical issues (you don't want to know) that are apparently no longer a problem (which is why you don't have to know). He's also a rather large and steady tax payer, apparently with the civic interest in mind, which is what first drew me to him. Stability was good for both his money pouch and his seclusion, you see. Even so, both he and I intended only him in the position until Giscard returned, and even then I thought Rhaena might end up doing much of the heavy lifting for the role. This has not been necessary.

Arts: Stefan Berdini. This is Sylvius' seat, but we are, unfortunately, lacking in architects. We have a surplus of stage magicians however. In that one never needs stage magicians, so one is a surplus. Commerce was a minor issue. This was a major one. There were very few people suitable for the role, but after merging Agriculture and Forestry and Trade and Industry, I felt like I could not abolish another position. More than that, and to be perfectly blunt, I needed another person who I was sure would vote for me. Berdini is a mysterious sort as you would expect from his occupation. He arrived a few years ago now, purchased the Gilded Lily theater, and has performed there off and on since. He affects the airs of a high class gentleman, but I imagine it is a performance, albeit an effective one that well served my needs. I keep expecting him to do something downright villainous, but he doesn't. So I give him more and more rope.

I suppose I'll write about Kerrak and Agony later.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Glenn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 am

This may be Nothing

Especially in the face of all that we've been encountering as of late and the threats that are to come with the thaw, but this would interest you and it potentially endangers us.

Or it may be nothing.

There is an old lady. Isn't that a good start, Ari? There is an old lady. It's jarring, isn't it? How many old ladies do you know in Myrken? There is an old lady that chose to come here. Think of that. She wandered here. I've encountered her twice, maybe there times. Her trade is in tales. No one knows her name. She hears them. She tells them. And then, perhaps, things happen. There are a number of strange incidents that seem to have occurred after she told a story. At first I thought the timing was backwards, that something happens and then she tells a story inspired by it, but there is enough correlation that it seems to be the opposite.

Whether this means she can see premonitions of the future (a possibility I discount since I do not believe the future is so set) or she has some special information about what is going on, I do not know. An outside possibility is that she is causing these things somehow. That she tells a story and then finds a way to make the story real. We cannot discount it. Recently, I tried to trick her into telling a story that could only occur in summer. She told one about a wolf on a hot summer day and immediately thereafter sheep started to go missing. Kacela claims that there is a giant wolf lurking. This is just one incident of many. Gloria had experienced something but she would not tell me of it. All other accounts I've heard are second hand.

The most intriguing bit is this. There is some connection between the woman and Giuseppe. Of what, I am not sure. I do know that she has been seen going room to room at the Remedium now and again. A captive audience, perhaps. I thought you'd be interested.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:11 am

Glenn Burnie

You already know the worth of being able to say to the Senior Inquisitor: "Aleksei, re-acquaint yourself with the files involving Thadius Dhrin." I am spared a conversation that would require more time of me than I like to spend on any sort of conversation at all.

There are not windows enough in Darkenhold to accommodate Aleksei River. I am still willing to make the attempt. We defer this until he has completed the examination of a ring which I have received: it is the braided jade which you have described, it is very much intact, and it was given to me by a woman who describes her father as cruelly murdered and claims to be the niece of Altias Bromn.

Her name is Nightingale. The physical resemblance to Dhrin is clear to any familiar eye.

There is of course every reason to suspect deceit, illusion and derangement. I wait upon Aleksei's examinations, which are to be delayed due to an incident involving Catch. Regarding this, there are details if you require them. If not, I am as glad not to write of such things at all. There is a question instead: has any attempt been made to remove the last pieces of that axe from Aleksei? Is it absolutely certain that the 'celestial' is removed from him?

Writing questions is not much different from writing details. I know.

The Chairwoman has charged me with treason. This should surprise no-one who knows our history.

-Ariane

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:35 am

Ariane,

There is an even more senior inquisitor still. I shall seek out this Nightingale and put questions to her myself. When one spends too long without dirtying his own hands he becomes Helstone. When one does so foolishly he becomes Bromn. I shall be neither.

Lamai was sought to finish the healing of Aleksei. He has ducked low under my attention recently, I will admit. In short, when it comes to Aleksei River, nothing can be certain.

I would have your account of what occurred last night, as tedious and unpleasant as it might be. You were there. I was not. If you think someone else could give a more accurate telling, I will go to them and save you the grief. I suppose I ought to ask Agnieszka as well.

Speaking of her and the matter of treason, it is simply what she does with Marshalls. We have an Initiative for such accusations.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 am

Glenn Burnie

I require your full dispensation to end this Nightingale.

I do not doubt that we would learn more from your questioning than by any other means available to us. I will never claim that such knowledge is not essential. And I will not allow this cultist madness to begin over again, wearing a new face that is not much different from the first and which is motivated by considerably more than its devotion to the Baie. I do not intend to be placed before the Council again to answer for another mad thing's execution.

An accounting follows.

I am well aware of Initiative D.

-Ariane

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 am

Ariane,

On this matter, I will defend your actions whatever they must be. As last night undoubtedly proves, I cannot always control the unveiling progression of events here, despite my best efforts. That said, I intend to find her first and I intend to get to the heart of this. If the need is immediate, I may preempt you of the need for your violence entirely.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

Postby Carnath-Emory » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:15 am

Glenn Burnie

I came upon a struggle between Catch and Aleksei. It escalated swiftly and ended when Catch vomited blood and worms onto Aleksei's face and most of my throat. What Aleksei originally intended to accomplish I do not know, but I think that these worms caused us share the same experience of Catch's making or possibly the old history of unfathomable torment the things of which you have written and which Calomel has described. Malice. Violation. Blood and fire. The mutilation of hi

You are aware of what such an experience does to my armour. Its effect upon Aleksei was violently similar. He collapsed, screaming with what was surely pain, for the two wings which had come from his back clearly tore their way free of his skin. There was a great deal of blood, enough of it that one of these white wings was soaked red with it. One of his eyes had become just as red, the other golden, not unlike the effect that Kylerryth had upon Bromn many years ago. He made for his sword and then fell very still.

At that moment Agnieszka joined us. She intended to see to Aleksei of course, as did Lamai and also Bromn, who arrived soon after and was interrupted by a dagger. There were of course complications. As Agnieszka bent to Aleksei there came from him a sudden light, and when he stood there was

- a sound, bell-like
- words written like blood upon the air, I could not read these and not because I do not read well
- silver-like things falling from his face
- a sensation of calm that agitated the entire room into violence

That last thing. I find that very interesting.

Bromn, hindered by a knife to the back, carried Lamai from the room I think in order to calm her sudden screams.

Agnieszka made to

Under threat of immediate harm, Aleksei's wings vanished in a second burst of light, his eyes became as they were again. It was at this moment that Agnieszka claimed that what we were seeing was what 'took' Aeryn, that it had also taken Aleksei. Moments before this, Catch claimed had that Aleksei's transformation was evidence of The Eight's presence within him. He said so again, following Agnieszka's claims.

There followed the altercation between Agnieszka and Catch that one would expect in light of their history, during which Aleksei made some warning involving 'turning Red again' that I do not understand. His warning paused that altercation. It has not concluded it. There is, understandably, considerable enmity now between the three. Perhaps it is gone by today. I will not know until I visit Aleksei, who assured me that he will be some time recovering from this experience.

I do not know if Catch intended only to share some piece of his history with Aleksei, inadvertantly causing these responses (this is possible, he has in the past effected very unusual things upon my armour, clearly unintentionally) or if it were a deliberate attempt to reveal what was revealed. The things he spoke to me after they had left the room suggests the second.

Agnieszka can surely provide more detail than I. Was Lamai's intervention prompted by some understanding of what had befallen Aleksei? I would think so. I do not know what part of his actions (any, all, none) was controlled by what is within him, or more importantly how much of the thing (things?) was controlled by him.

-Ariane

Thank you.

Carnath-Emory

Postby Glenn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:29 am

Ariane,

My thanks. I know that it came at no small effort. I shall follow up accordingly. On this matter, as well, my previous statement stands, at least until I can come to a better understanding and even then, I shall not retroactively withdraw those words for knowledge learned in the meantime. Be careful. I have a bird to hunt while I await responses.

Glenn
Glenn
Co-Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Myrken Wood