Passing the Buck

Passing the Buck

Postby Jirai » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Alla Breve was not entirely sure how she had ended up in this position.

She had joined the constables as a young woman years ago and had muddled along ever since, never doing anything to distinguish herself, other than staying alive.

As it turns out, staying alive was an amazing accomplishment, over the long run. An accomplishment that had left Breve as one of the most senior of the constables remaining after the Red-and-Gold summer.

And now it left the uniformed Constable seeking a meeting with the Lady Warden.
Jirai
Op

Re: Passing the Buck

Postby Treadwell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:02 am

Another buck passed?

A letter arrives at the Lady Warden's doorstep at about the same time as the Constable, sent by messenger from the Lord Steward. The runner gives the Constable a nod and a pleasant smile before stepping within to leave this note with one of the guards there, "For Lady Warden Verreaux, from Lord Steward Tread'ell. Says it's urgent and to be given to her 'mediately." Then, out he goes, tipping his cap to the Constable and scurrying away to inform the Lord Steward of its delivery.

The note, if read, contains the following in Aloisius Treadwell's usual poor penmanship:

= = = = =

My dear Lady Warden,

Greetings.

I do hope you know something of the beast in the woods that has delivered the people of Myrken Wood an ultimatum regarding their not going into the forest for harvest wood or animals on pain of death. If you do not, here is the bit of information that I have.

I have met with it myself as of a few nights ago. It fears me, to an extent, for reasons best undisclosed in this letter. It has made a few small concessions, altering its ways regarding the instant consumption of fat, rich, and greedy and instead letting them pass as others may. However, it refuses to see reason regarding aught else.

Our people here are in grave and serious danger. Catch is, for this once, not a madman at all in his recent public protestations from the Deck. I do not wish to start a riot in the town by announcing a ban, though temporary, on going into the forest; however, lives and livelihoods are at stake. I need to know whether the King's men, and thus your men, support the Wood against this concern, offering protection for this matter. Perhaps they might offer proper resolution to it, as well, though, given what I have seen and met, a frontal attack would be very ill-advised.

Do respond as quickly as you might.

This eleventh morning of the third month, 215,
Aloisius H. Treadwell

= = = = =

Of course, whether or not this letter receives proper attention before or after the Constable is seen, or even at all, is another matter.
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Kestrel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:06 pm

There was a woman to let the young constable into the Lady's office.

There was a man with unremarkable features to stare through her as she passed his position by the door. His soft hands turned the knob to allow her entrance and his smile was enough to chill her very soul.

The Lady in question was seated on the other side of a grand mahogany desk with a thoughtful look on her features. She seemed troubled, but a pleasant expression dawned on her features at the appearance of Alla Breve. "Constable," she greeted warmly, rising immediately and coming around the desk to offer her hand in greeting. "Please, come in and make yourself comfortable."

Smith, the man, handed the Warden a sealed letter that she would set aside for now; it would be rude to read it while company was calling.
Kestrel

Postby Jirai » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Servants made Constable Breve uncomfortable. They made her feel awkward. The man that opened the door to allow her inside the room, though, was something else. Revolting, perhaps, was the word, but Breve wasn't sure.

The constable was rapidly approaching middle age, brown hair threaded through with steel gray, more and more every month it seemed. She was solidly built, but not particularly imposing. The Lady rose and Breve took the offered hand politely, if a bit awkwardly.

"Thank you, ma'am." The constable remained standing.

"I've some matters of concern, ma'am, if you've the time. Things that are beyond my authority to handle, but need to be handled all the same.

"You've heard about the thing in the woods, ma'am?"
Jirai
Op

Postby Kestrel » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:41 pm

The man's gaze lingered on the constable, ferreting out any potential weakness before closing the door behind him and leaving the two in relative peace.

The Lady Warden was many years the Constable's junior, but she carried herself with dignity. Her uniform had been neatly pressed with all respect due.

When the creature was mentioned, her eyes narrowed just so. "I must admit that I have not heard of any creature. I have been handling... other matters at present." The Bloodletter menace was a relatively quiet affair. The Lady defended her people quietly, behind the scenes.

She leaned back and steepled her fingers before her mouth. "Please, tell me everything you know."
Kestrel

Postby Jirai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 am

"Well, ma'am, the bottom line is that somethin' in the woods has been eating people."

That was generally a problem. Not entirely an unknown one, though, this being Myrken.

"Far as I can tell, this... thing... has declared that anyone who goes into the woods for any reason will be killed. The crazies... Catch, you know, and a woman named Mekarie, seem to be able to talk to it. They can't tell me what it is. Only that we shouldn't go into the woods and Mekarie, she said it was something about a chess game, and only pawns had been taken so far.

The Lord Steward said after the riot t'other day, that he'd close off the woods... but pardon my sayin' so, ma'am, that ain't much of a solution. Lots of folks make their livin' out there and such. People will start demanding that somethin' be done. It's already started."
Jirai
Op

Postby Kestrel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:26 am

One of her elegant brows lofted at the revelation the constable made. "...Eating them? Is this the wolves again?," she asked, her mind racing to come up with a reason that she had not heard of this before now. A deep pang of guilt settled in her stomach and a frown made its way onto her features.

"Have those that make their fortunes in the Woods been the only ones it has taken?," she asked, wondering about the hunters.

"Clearly, we can not sit idly by. Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, Constable."

They would have to go in with a show of force. Whatever this thing was hadn't the right to claim the land.
Kestrel

Postby Jirai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:34 pm

"No, ma'am, not the wolves. Those who have spoken to it... her... are most emphatic."

A shrug met the Warden's next question. "I don't have a complete list of names yet. I can make sure the identities we've been able to discover are sent to you."

The Kestrel's response to the matter sat better with the constable than the Lord Steward's had. Relief was clear on Breve's face. "I will send any further information I disover to you, then, Lady Egris."
Jirai
Op

Postby Kestrel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:04 am

The Lady nodded her understanding. "Thank you for the information." Polite as ever, she would rise until the woman left her company.

With a soft sigh, she lifted the sealed letter from the meticulously organized surface of her desk.

Her eyes roamed over the contents quickly before she penned a reply. Concise as always.

Lord Steward,

Of course my men are willing to do what you need of them.

I think we require more information about this beast so that we do not bring our fists to a sword fight. Will Catch speak to us about the being in the Wood?

The people have had enough death. They deserve our protection against any threat. This cannot stand.

Lady Warden Verreaux
Kestrel

Postby Treadwell » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:12 pm

Treadwell's reply will go out the morning after the Lady Warden's is received. It Is kept simple enough.

= = = = =

Dearest Lady Warden,

I agree in hoping that Catch might be willing to talk. However, Catch hardly trusts me. If one of us is to talk with him, then you might be the better one to do so. I should hope that, if he is approached in a genial fashion, he might not refuse the request for discussion.

People will be warned to stay within the town and out of the woods for the moment. We need quick resolution of this matter, though, if the townsfolk are to survive.

Aloisius

= = = = =
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Return to Myrkentown