Stacks: Gifts & Favors

Re: Stacks: Gifts & Favors

Postby Treadwell » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:46 pm

Treadwell smiles. Even his old eyes and ears pick up on this sudden eagerness. A pudgy pointer goes up, though, and the rest of the fingers unfold--a hand fanned out, cautioning, stopping.

"It would likely be best simply to repair the floors throughout, mmph. The worst of the spots that I can think of, hm hm, off hand are in the kitchen, my office in particular, mmph, and around the table in the main hall. We used to use that table, mmph, for meetings back when the Council was much smaller, but with Chedwry's order that the Council expand, mmph mmph. . . . well. I fear that the building is hardly suited to the extra bodies that have to be in it, mmph, every few months. The wisest thing to do is simply to fix everything under foot."

He nods, already lazily, absent-mindedly, rubbing his hands on his stomach, complaining louder and a bit more frequently now than before. Obvious indigestion and excessive fullness bring on the occasional flinch.

"Otherwise, if it is possible to somehow widen at least the doors to my office, the kitchen, and the few other office rooms on site, mmph, that would be wise. In short, that covers most of the interior doors, mmph mmph, off hand. Making future entrances similarly sized from their creation, hrm, could then follow without saying."

A nod, here, a moment to whuffff a breath or two.

"And, well, if you don't mind, mmph, there might be some manner of sign or portrait, hm hm, to show my part in allowing all of this?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:02 am

She had already arrested the momentum of her body, but the pudgy fingers gesturing for her to stop seemed to take the air out of her chest. Deflated, her smile rested as she paid careful attention to the requests.

Best to just fix everything.

“A full repair was my intention, the hall is lovely as it stands but Myrken has grown.” Treadwell most of all. “Though recent council attendance has diminished, I have no doubt that all seats will be full again at some point,” not that she had intended to tip her hand to the fact that she knew or kept up on such matters. But it also wasn’t a secret that she had been present at several gatherings of the council despite not actually having a seat on it.

“Wider doors from the inception will be beneficial for safety as well,” she noted, indicating that it was a good idea that they would likely implement for reasons other than to accommodate the unseemly girth of the Lord Steward. Of course, appeasing him today was paramount.

At the next request however, Genny shifted back and her brow raised with some confusion. Her hand instinctively rose then, her finger to point absently at the wall across the room, through which, outside, hung the portrait like, wooden sign in his likeness, designating Tready’s toy shop.

“A sign?” The puzzled look on her face showed her assumption that he meant to have one similar to that of his toy shop. “Perhaps posters of notice with your likeness or seal?” After all, wouldn’t a sign like the one out front be a bit ostentatious for a civil building, not to mention confusing to his patrons?
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:22 am

"Hm hm? No, I wasn't thinking of anything so extravagant. Merely a plaque, perhaps, or a document with the Lord Steward's seal, possibly framed, stating official approval of such additions, mmph mmph, and an expression of hope for their stated purpose."

Aloisius Treadwell takes a moment to think further before nodding his head in agreement with what he's just said.

"Otherwise, well, I ought to see someone soon enough, hm hm, about having my official portrait done for the meeting hall or, perhaps, my office. Come to think of it, mmph, I've never made time for such. Something of the sort would add a little to the back wall, I think, hm hm."

Another nod.

"But that won't be at your expense, of course. I have some funds set aside for just that purpose. I merely thought, mmph, we might be able to see the two things--the mentioned plaque or document, mmph, and this portrait--to their completion at about the same time. If we are talking about additions and changes, we might as well do it all at once, eh? Now," he pauses for another huff of breath, "is there anything else we needed to discuss, my dear, mmph mmph?"
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:30 am

Confusion fell away as he explained his purpose and she nodded. “Ah, I understand. I’m sure arrangements can be made to announce your support in some manner, perhaps a plaque to memorialize the completion.”

“A portrait is a fine idea.” It seemed proper and appropriate after all. Not that she knew the slightest about where to find a skilled painter in Myrken, though Berdini likely would. “Perhaps I’ll have one made for myself,” though her tone was more of encouragement and less personal interest.

Having regained some of her excitement about the prospect of the project she stood even as he asked whether they had anything more to discuss.

“Nothing more presently,” she smiled, “I appreciate your consideration and taking time to meet with me today.” She offered slight bow and held it for a moment, offering up the opportunity for him to stop her with another request if any remained.
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:10 am

"Splendid, dearie! And I thank you, mmph mmph, for that most deeeelightful pie! I shall have to finish it soon enough, I think, but not so soon. It must wait a bit, hrm hrm."

Treadwell here pants out another sigh, ankles still managing to help work the rocker beneath him as feet gently work up and down.

"Good day, dear Genny! Go rest yourself, mmph, and see me again when you have more time! Umm. . . pray don't be upset, mmph, if I don't stand to open the door, dearie. I really don't know if I could or should move much, mmph mmph, at the moment."

A hand goes up to wave a flappy good-bye with these words, and glutted tummy calls out its well-wishes in its own gurgly-swooshy fashion.

"Do come by again very soon, mmph mmph!"
Treadwell

Postby Tolleson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:20 pm

“No trouble at all. I am glad it won’t be wasted,” she said in regards to the pie, gesturing generally towards the counter where it had been before.

She gathered her skirts to keep from tripping as she turned towards the door and once her hand held the knob she turned briefly with a smile.

“I shall, and good day to you as well.”

The door was opened and she left. Even shielding her eyes against the afternoon sun she squinted, in part because of brightness but also for the smile she wore that puffed up her cheeks. Without the carriage she would have to walk, but it was a short distance to the former Inquisitory and her mood made the issue irrelevant. As much as she enjoyed seeing old friends, Genny never was one for overlong social calls or prattle about mundane things. There was work to be done and she was eager to do it.
Tolleson

Postby Treadwell » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:37 pm

There is indeed work to be done.

"Three passengers. I am one, my butler is another, and my guard. We will have very little to carry with us, mmph, some clothing. We expect passage to and from Lindock, mmph, where I shall likely find and hire someone to paint my portrait. He or she will return with me here, hm hm."

An exchange of words and coins sees the aforementioned set to disembark; they set out in a rented barge with its captain and crew, floating west at the start of the week. Aloisius Treadwell, being from a coastal city some miles distant, is certainly used to occasional travel on water. Gregory, from far away Ricathair (the same as Treadwell's own Alice), has similar experience with it. Carson, one of the four guardsmen and brothers hired from Fyeden some short months ago, does not. Spending life among the trees on the land means that the poor guard is quite useless and quite ill, all the way from Myrken Town to the shores of Lindock on the other side of Silver Lake.

It is evening on arrival. There will be no hunting of an artist tonight--merely a meal in a tavern and rooms to rest in until dawn.
Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 am

"But May, that's th'Lard Stew'rd! What's 'e doin'ere?"

Beady eyes turn from the portly man in the yellow robe and his two companions. The three of them sit at a corner table in May's Catch, a tavern in Lindock specializing in fresh fish every week (or as often as May can manage such). The "Lard Stew'rd" in question, though, has slowly nodded off after his second serving of breakfast, the result of not having slept well the night before.

"Taxes, maybe, Henry, but I thought I heard 'im say somethin'bout finding someone to paint him. Somethin'bout a portrait."

So says May herself, a middle-aged woman firm of gaze and a touch stout of frame, much like the other catch in her life besides her inn: Henry, who sits atop a barstool beside her.

"Well, go tell 'im about yer brother already! He's been 'ere since night 'fore last, and 'tween 'im and the other old man with'im, they can put away some food. The younger man don't eat so much. Have we got enough?"

May merely nods her head. A new delivery of fish from Silver Lake came in this morning. However, that momentary surplus doesn't stop her from strolling across her inn, one hand holding a rag in it wiping tables on the way, the other drumming fingers on the Lord Steward's table when she arrives.

The guardsman Carson, still recovering from his traveling to Lindock, merely worms a little in his seat. Some guard he is at the moment. It is Gregory who softly speaks in lieu of his snoring employer.

"Madam?"

"Not t'sound ungrateful, sirs, but the husband and I was wond'ring 'bout y'business in Lindock. Come to just eat all the fish?"

Gregory smiles. "And splendid fish they are at that, delicious. My lord Treadwell is here seeking an artist who might return to Myrkentown with us for a bit. He fancies his portrait painted and hung in the meetinghouse there."

"Lindock's 'ardly known for that sort of folk. What made 'im come here?"

"In all honesty, dear hostess, I think it was more the closeness of the town and the chance to eat good fish than the chance of actually finding such a person. My lord is hardly suited to long journeys."

May smiles and shakes her head. "Well, I hate t' tell'im he's wasting time, but he's wasting time. Now, I've a brother, lives in Foggy Bottom. Name's Randolph Fish. Named after our pop, he is."

Treadwell's snoring here interrupts the hostess. As it quiets, she continues.

"He went t'Foggy Bottom to do just what the Lard Stew'rd's a-wanting. Does a good job of it, too. Looks a little like Henry over there," a nod to the bar, "an' a little like yer Lard Tread'ell here. Got Henry's face--them flat hangin' jowls, but red-headed--and somethin' like his gut." A nod now to the dozing toymaker. "Well, not quite, but something like it. 'bout more like yours, telling the truth." And, to punctuate her point, the innkeeper here pokes a firm finger into the soft flesh that is the belly of a Tubbian's cook.

The butler chuckles and nods. "Then I trust he does very well at his job. When my lord awakens, I shall mention this and see us off."

May Fish nods and turns to go back to her bar. She is stopped by Gregory's pressing a shilling into her hand.

"For your troubles, madam, and, were the Lord Steward awake, I am certain he would thank you himself."
Treadwell

Postby Treadwell » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:34 pm

"Foggy Bottom."

Treadwell spoke the words with a whuffff that left him deflated.

"That is all the way on the other end of the Wood, Gregory."

"Indeed, my lord. I shall accompany you, of course, and so shall Carson. I believe," the butler eyed the guard, again ill on the boat back to Myrken Wood, "that he shall be much more willing to travel in the carriage, pulled by Arnold, on good dry land."

It is night on Silver Lake, the sky cloudy and the stars barely twinkling through the gloom. Aloisius Treadwell rests in a chair on deck, wrapped in his robes, miserably staring out over the water at the shadowy mass that is Myrken Town.

"I look forward to being in my own bed tonight, Gregory, mmph mmph."

"You sent Arnold and the carriage home, if you recall, with Langley and Nicholas. We will disembark at the east docks and go through the gate. From there, the walk is not too terrible to Beauregard and your store."

"Dear Gregory, mmph mmph, you might just be nearly as old as I, but you do not have to carry around quite the same frame, hm hm! I should need your help, hrm, if Carson is hardly up to it."

"I do think we shall manage, my lord."
Treadwell

Previous

Return to Downtown Myrkentown