To A. Treadwell; A Letter from the Violet Flats

To A. Treadwell; A Letter from the Violet Flats

Postby Rance » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 am

Razasan fell away in the orange daylight. They lofted the sails at morntide. Sea tugged the tradeship — stocked full of a unique and reddish lumber often coveted by rich men in other lands — out into its watery arms. The Glass Sun (it would always be the Glass Sun to her, even if Jernoah was a lifetime away) scattered daylight across the sea. When finally sight of land had been lost and all that surrounded them was a world of water, the nausea began to strike her like a relentless bludgeon.

She'd purchased her way with her own coin; they gave to her a quarters to share with a female cook and another woman with pale, cloudy eyes that saw phantoms in the night. Their windspeaker, they called her. Their good fortune. Their luck to avoid pirates on the Violet Flats.

Mister Treadwell,

It has been some time. I hope that you will receive this missive in earnist and not with great disdain.

Over two years have passed since last I stepped foot in Myrken Wood. While I shoult warn you that this letter carries with it a distinct purpose, it does not come without accompanyment of my well-wishes: my hopes that your family is well and that you are in good health and that rumeatism has not stolen much from you. Bid well your wife, we met but once and I fear I have not left for her a good impression. These words will pro pr proseed my return to Myrken Wood by many, many days; these men aboard this ship, they have taught their gulls such wondrous tricks and among these the carriage of letters from shore to shore.

These past many months I have spent in Razasan in equal parts stagnasion and discovery. Maybe you have found the same in Myrken Wood.

It is after your expertese that I shoult inquire, to wit: the current standing of Myrken Wood's leadership, council, and its members. I know that Genny Tolleson still oversees the Inquisitory (and this I imagine she does with great talent; I shall hope she is given fine support from the town) and yet with the absences of Ag. Kazmerrik and G. Burnie, Marshalls Emory and Egris, I am left to wonder in what capable hands matters of the town are commended — other than your own of course, which I know still tirelessly attend.

Does a Council still exist.

And does this Council seek for new members. And if so, how may one further find herself in a position of consideration.

Here is a truth: in my absents I have lost touch with Myrken Wood and expect that upon my return I will be required to both answer for my relocation and refresh my memory as to the town's intricacies. Here too is a truth: it is upon my return that I must distance myself from those to whom I have afflicted previous pain, Mister Catch among them, and yet a woman of great potential cannot long be left to stagnate in the fashion I have; I shall bore you none with the mistakes of my trava trevil travails. And yet here I offer another truth: I am brash and bold and will let my tongue speak freshly, many times unreasonably, but believe I may put this quality of mine if harnessed well in the service of the province which gave me purpose for life.

Upon my return I must first touch base with Genny Tolleson, but my second matter of busyness is to take you up on the offer you made many years previous: a repast in your home, that you may meet a more willing and patient Gloria Wynsee. There too we may share a pipe for I have got good Razasani root in my purse.

Any responses may be given to couriers bound for Palovia Sound for it is from that port I have been told where the gulls are released.

Gloria Wynsee

Rance
Co-Founder

Re: To A. Treadwell; A Letter from the Violet Flats

Postby Treadwell » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:11 pm

The letter takes a few days. . . .

= = = = =

Dearest Gloria Wynsee!

Myrkentown is as dull and cold as it usually is this time of the year. I have been staying at home very much as of late, save to see to the business of shop and church and meetinghouse as needed.

Yes, meetinghouse. We still have a council, a horrid affair of a great many folks, implemented some time past by one of the king's women--some cousin of his or sort, I think, with a post of authority about her. I am but one among many, hrm, though I still command a good bit of respect, and most of the people involved look to me as something of a leader among them all the same. As for your seeking a seat on it, I am most sure we can manage something.

In short, not terribly much has changed as of late. I would be more than pleased to have you visit, and I am quite certain that Alice will enjoy the company of a visiting adult lady, too. Our youngest, little Harvell. . . our Harvey is now four years, and my eldest still living with us, Gideon, is five-and-ten. Alice and I are seventy-and-three as of this past June. Goodness! To think I have been in Myrken Wood so long!

= = = = = = =

A blotch of ink to one side of the page, the evidence of a moment's incredulous, wet-eyed trembling that resulted in the crushing of a quill's nib, shows proof of the old toymaker's attempt to wipe and dab it clean unsuccessfully, a fat-handed smearing that nearly obscures the above text.

= = = = = = =

Bother! This dreadful ink. . . . Hm! But, yes, do be safe returning home, and know you are surely welcome. If you find me not at my store--still at the edge of Beauregard, north end of the square--then look for me here at the house. I shall very likely be bundled up in my robes by a fire.

Yours in friendship, and from my writing desk at home,

Aloisius Horatio Treadwell
"Looks like a table to me. Do you think it could hold up someone as bulbous as Treadwell?" -- Dr. Brennan, Myrken Wood Rememdium Edificium
Treadwell

Re: To A. Treadwell; A Letter from the Violet Flats

Postby Rance » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Mister Treadwell,

Our ship nears its destinasion and as such these brilliant gulls bring to this ship a greater number of letters, many misdirected, for as a man who works the sail has emfatically put it, these gulls have but a half-pigeon's brain and pigeons have got no brain to speak of at all in the first place. I think you would be humored to know the that your letter, happily received, went first (according to an addendim wrapped with it) to another ship altogether and was only appropriately directed after some meal of mollisks was provided to its carrier, stubborn skinflint it was.

Come early the week next I shall arrive outside Sullibon in Zanith Grange and will be mery for it: I have got no stomach for a ship and find myself the victim of it. I am happy at least for your wellness, seventy-and-three you may be but age cannot belye a powerful will and constitution, there is a saying in Jernoah that a fool does all he can to avoid growing old, you and your Alice are living proofs that you are anything but fools.

Also, it is very warming to read of your family, it is clear that you possess great pride of them and though it is but ink it convey conveighs wonderous truth of your love for them. On this I hope to talk,

The writing ends abruptly, for there is another composition on the page: a series of figures, numbers, and values in the Standard written and scribbled out. To come by parchment on a ship, after all, is tedious work. The letter continues on the back.

for of family I do believe I am in need of lessons, for Jernoah has made me quite dull to a proper understanding of the task.

Is not all government a horrid (and yet necessary) affair. Here is a truth which may be of comfort: I have got no patience for men and women who quibble but over nonsense. If one is able, one aught to pay a tax; if one is able, one aught to provide firewood to her neighbor; if one is able, one aught to take up arms to protect their farmstead and the farmsteads of others. I mean this to say that I will not go long molested by boredom nor by a lack of productivity, so if this Council wastes its time with unconsequential matters it shall find me loud and in great opposition to that act.

What expectations are held of a member of the Council, and that I am of foreign blood, will it go hard for me?

I entrust this to you: I return to Myrken Wood partially out of want for it, but also because some matters of a threat to Myrken Wood's security have made themselves known to me. For that I am emmensely reckless, hot of head, and prone to impulse, I do not know if it is safe that I be solely trusted with this knowledge and thus I shall if you so desire impart it to you.

In other conversation, you have made it the great direction in your life to provide for your children and of this matter I would like to speak more. What does it mean to you to be as a father to your children. What is it of love and protection and knowledge that your children seek from you, and what do you believe is expected of you to provide to your children. Perhaps this is also a knowledge Alice can help me understand.

I look forward to our meeting and hope the winter does not discomfort you too greatly in the meantime.

Yours,

Gloria Wynsee
Rance
Co-Founder

Return to Myrken Wood